• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be THAT guy, but... if you told me this was DLC for Splatoon 2, I'd believe you

Just looks like more of the exact same, which isn't a bad thing, but that wasn't an exciting trailer
Yeah same here

Though I adored salmon run in the first one and am very glad it's returning, this is very map-pack-y

They said this was a coop thing. So we didn't learn anything about the single player content?

I hate to be THAT guy, but... if you told me this was DLC for Splatoon 2, I'd believe you

Just looks like more of the exact same, which isn't a bad thing, but that wasn't an exciting trailer
I guess graphically and stylistically it looks pretty similar... but the new enemies they showed, and being able to throw the egg are going to be huuuuge changes to how it feels.

My only disappointment is that we didn't get a release date or see anything else from the game... it's my most wanted game basically ever.

Let's go! 😆

I thought that the protag having a Salmonid companion means that Salmon Run won't come back, but I'm glad that's not the case. Though it is kind of awkward. 😅
Most of my hours playing Splatoon 2 must've been SR, so I'm glad it's coming back.

Damn... it seems like a July or August title, based on the other titles announced for the months before that

Yeah, at the moment Splatoon 3 still has to justify itself. Sure, we know next to nothing about the game but what we know looks too much like Splatoon 2: Part 2.

I have faith in the game because the initial trailer was good and, well, I think Splat team know what they are doing, but everything they've shown so far is... underwhelming.

I'm going to have to agree that this, and everything shown so far, seems too similar to Splatoon 2. I'm getting this game 100 percent but I hope it's not going to be a franchise that just has new stages in the same game with each iteration. Splatoon has the mechanics to hang with the best of the best, I just hope they build an equally impressive game around them.

Interesting how they decided to go with a coop trailer here. I thibk they will drop a bigger trailer either through Twitter or perhaps a full-on Splatoon Direct in April/May.

I'm still excited for the game and getting it at launch, but I feel like they showed basically nothing of interest in this trailer

I'm excited but Salmon Run was more stressful than I would've liked as an alternate mode to Turf War. I'll await details but I think I'm going to need a regular crew for this if I'm to stick with it. Playing with randoms was way too... random for me. OTOH, I feel like my approach with gaming has changed in the last couple years so I'm curious to see if that can translate to service games.

Was hoping for a release date. Glad to see Salmon Run is confirmed though, it is my most played mode.
It'll be June or July if the past two games are any indication.

It's frustrating because it's been de facto a year since Splatoon 3 was announced and we know very little definitively that sets it apart from 2. We've speculated a lot and we're probably right on most counts, but very little has been objectively stated. I'm dying of thirst here!

We've only seen one new map, and not even a good look at that
The details of how the new spawn system work are vague in some of the minor details, especially how they work with the super jump system
We've only seen one new main weapon and don't know if any returning ones will be modified. Closest is speculation that chargers will no longer have visible "lasers" when charging a shot and instead have a brighter glow
We don't know any new gear abilities or how returning ones may be altered
We don't know any new sub weapons or how existing ones may be changed
While we've seen some new specials, we don't really know the nitty gritty about how they work. Like the Crab Tank; is it invulnerable when in a ball? Can you shift between ball and walking mode with a button or do you only go into walking mode when attacking? Is the Inkling vulnerable and that's how you counter the tank?
We don't know anything about the solo campaign other than there's goo that makes you fuzzy which Lil' Buddy can eat. It was speculated that with a friendly salmonid, we'd be fighting Mr. Grizz to "Save our Salmons"--and we might still do that, but with Salmon Run returning and showing the Mr. Grizz radio front and center it looks like it's business as usual? It could just be Octavio again and what we saw is just one fight with him a la Dr. Robotnik from Sonic
We don't know who the new idols are, or if it'll be Squid Sisters / Off the Hook / a combination of the two, or if we won't get idols at all to placate the complaints about the stage announcement at startup
We don't know any new Ranked modes if any, or if the returning ones get alterations to how they perform like Tower Control did in 2
We don't know if there are any new play modes or will it be just the Solo campaign, Turf War, Ranked, and Salmon Run again
We don't know if there are going to be any changes to the stage rotation system

Even with this trailer specifically for Salmon Run we learned very little new about it.

Crab Tank and Killer Wail 5.1 are available specials and that Wail can kill Fly Fish. Most likely the Crab Tanks heavy shots will break the pods like an Explosher can but can't say for certain
Seems every Boss Salmonid is returning but we don't know if they will have new behaviors, however it doesn't look like it at the moment (So mad that the Flyfish is coming back exactly the same. I can't stand that thing)
Saw two new bosses, Fish Stick and Flipper, but we don't know how they specifically behave. Stick may be completely non-lethal and just paints? But does it move after painting for a certain amount of time? What about Flipper? We know it attacks by throwing a ring that instantly paints around someone before it tries to dive into the inkling, but how does it approach before throwing the ring? Does it chase you like a Maws does or does it move around the map through the rings of ink it makes? Or is it like the Stinger and Fly Fish and it'll only sit at the water front?
The hell was that godzilla Salmonid at the end? Given how much special attention it was given in the trailer and its prominence in the promo art I don't think it's just another boss Salmonid that'll die instantly to a bomb in the mouth. So will there be actual "boss" fights that you have to work together to defeat at the end of the final wave or is this a unique round that occurs at random like the nighttime rounds? A "Kaiju" occurrence?
The egg throwing mechanic is a huge and exciting new development. Seems to use up about 1/3 of your tank to throw and paints a large section of ground at your feet, and it is possible to throw eggs into the basket which greatly eases achieving the quota. This actually makes me think they're going to make the boss salmonids much more aggressive or spawn in greater numbers. Once shot we had near the end of the trailer and I counted 9 boss salmonids simultaneously. That's going to be really hectic

And the music was great, don't @ me

These weird, short trailers showing vague gameplay to speculate on would be more palatable if they were more frequent, but it's been a year with the game releasing in about 5-6 months, and we've only had three >3 min trailers that have told us basically nothing novel about the game. This isn't being coy or mysterious; it's annoying

I'm predicting we'll get a Splatoon special Direct in May with the big info dump and announcing a Testfire Splatfest occurring shortly after, before the game launches in I wish July but I'm feeling August...

Last edited:
As a casual Splatoon fan the Fish Stick boss still has me rolling. Definitely feels like Nintendo is holding some cards close to their chest though.

I'm sure we'll see a Splatoon 3 Direct as we get closer to Summer so I'm not too concerned over the lack of substantial updates. Same thing happened with Splatoon 2 where we barely knew anything until we got a Direct for it a few weeks before launch.

Yeah, same here. This is something they could have pushed as an update for Splatoon 2. We can throw eggs now and there are new bosses, not really exciting news. Though I am happy Salmon Run in general is back.

So far, it seems to be a small improvement over Splatoon 2, which was a small improvement over Splatoon 1. I really hope they announce some new modes or some new concept for the game.

Echoing the sentiment that I hope they are holding a lot back. I thought this was Splatoon 2 dlc/update until the title showed up...

I loved Splatoon, favorite game on Wii U. But when 2 had the network test, I had fun, but ultimately realized I probably wouldn't end up buying it because it felt so samey. Now, even after Skipping 2 I don't feel like 3 is doing nearly enough to differentiate itself, or to move the series forward. There's so much potential for Splatoon, but it feels like they're content just treading water because it's been so succesful.

I was really excited for Splatoon 3 when they first announced it last year, because I was hoping they could finally make a truly new Splatoon game (seeing how 2 was kind of 1.5 at first to get the series on Switch ASAP). But everything I've seen looks so similar to 2 I'm finding it hard to care about this one so far.

This is the same company that didn't show off SMO's main new ability till it got a focus at E3 or Kirby's new abilities until the last trailer or a ton of mechanics in BotW till maybe a year from the game's release. Heck, with BotW 2, we're still in the dark on most of the details of the game. I'd personally wait on judging the game being too samey or not till we get a proper blowout for it

This is the same company that didn't show off SMO's main new ability till it got a focus at E3 or Kirby's new abilities until the last trailer or a ton of mechanics in BotW till maybe a year from the game's release. Heck, with BotW 2, we're still in the dark on most of the details of the game. I'd personally wait on judging the game being too samey or not till we get a proper blowout for it
this is a very good take, I'd say wait until we get more information about multiplayer, the big salmonid, and pretty much everything else to judge how samey the game will actually be

this is a very good take, I'd say wait until we get more information about multiplayer, the big salmonid, and pretty much everything else to judge how samey the game will actually be
Yeah, we just don't know enough yet to really judge the game in that regard yet

Also, I get that not everyone shares this sentiment, but as a competitive player I'd be more than happy with the same gameplay but just with new specials, maps and balance changes lol

Echoing the sentiment that there's not enough information so far about what's different here to make me excited, which says a lot considering Splatoon 2 is by far my most played Switch game. I'm not doubting this will be different enough to justify its existence either at launch or down the line, but right now there isn't a clear picture of what the game is and isn't, holistically, compared to Splatoon 2.

That said, I'm there day 1 as soon as there's confirmation of a higher tickrate.

Not gonna like Splatoon 3’s showing has been disappointing so far. More than any other game. Looks like same rehash again, BUT in saying that it makes me weirdly optimistic that they have a ton of new stuff to reveal that will get us excited.

After Nintendo just massively undersold us with Arceus I'm not too concerned that they're holding their cards so close to the chest some 6 months before release.

From reading the comments on the reddit thread, it seems the OP fabricated it. The QR code in the trailer isn't clear enough, and the QR code the reddit OP provided doesn't match what's visible in the trailer apparently
Thanks for checking - I assumed Eurogamer might have done that!

Looking forward to the next BOTW2 trailer just so i can post it looks like a BOTW DLC on it :T

Game is looking great so far. Being able to toss the eggs changes how this plays quite a bit, and the new bosses look amazing.

I wonder why they're being so secretive about this game even after a year since it was revealed, tf
Wild isn’t it? They announce it a year ago and still so sparse on the details. Gotta make you think there’s just so much there they want to share at once in a Splatoon Direct.

I wonder why they're being so secretive about this game even after a year since it was revealed, tf
It's no different from Splatoon 2, we also knew very little of that game until the Splatoon 2 Direct which came out just a few weeks before release. That's when they deluged us with info and I expect the same thing here.

The biggest difference between this Splatoon roll out and the previous ones is that we haven't had the Squid Research Lab posts filling in the gaps between the video showings. They created an NA Twitter account to replace the Tumblr they used for 1 & 2 just yesterday, so I'm optimistic that they start churning out bits of information that way. I hope so, because I'd rather discuss what they have shown than going through months and months of "more like splatoon 2.5" discourse yet again.

The biggest difference between this Splatoon roll out and the previous ones is that we haven't had the Squid Research Lab posts filling in the gaps between the video showings. They created an NA Twitter account to replace the Tumblr they used for 1 & 2 just yesterday, so I'm optimistic that they start churning out bits of information that way. I hope so, because I'd rather discuss what they have shown than going through months and months of "more like splatoon 2.5" discourse yet again.
Don't count on that happening anytime soon. Splatoon 2 had the "enhanced port of Splatoon 1" discourse going on for like a year or so after release.

That said, yeah, we need some deep dives for this game already. The stuff they have shown so far is already showing some interesting new stuff.

Very excited!

Personally, I don‘t fully understand the complaints here. To me, it seems so different to Splatoon 2 already, and certainly much more than Mario Kart Wii to Mario Kart 7 or Mario Kart 7 to Mario Kart 8. After all, most people are happy when a new Mario Kart only has new tracks and maybe a gimmick, myself included.

We already know of
— a promising all-new singleplayer campaign that looks very intriguing
— new maps
— new weapons, new special weapons
— a new music style (by C-Side), new customizability options
— important new additional gameplay additions (spawner drones etc.)
— new class of movement techniques, so far revealed: Squid Roll and Squid Surge.

Additionally, Turf War is confirmed and Salmon Run now as well (new bosses, new stages, new techniques!).

Some additional surprises and details will very likely be revealed soon, like another new weapon class. No word on amiibos, the new duo and the important ranked modes yet at all (probably at least one new mode is planned).

The Splatoon 2 community seems to be, all in all, ecstatic. This game will be huge!

Well to be honest this is what I wanted and have been asking for. Assuming this is local split screen co-op then splatoon 3 will get a purchase from me.

Very excited!

Personally, I don‘t fully understand the complaints here. To me, it seems so different to Splatoon 2 already, and certainly much more than Mario Kart Wii to Mario Kart 7 or Mario Kart 7 to Mario Kart 8. After all, most people are happy when a new Mario Kart only has new tracks and maybe a gimmick, myself included.

We already know of
— a promising all-new singleplayer campaign that looks very intriguing
— new maps
— new weapons, new special weapons
— a new music style (by C-Side), new customizability options
— important new additional gameplay additions (spawner drones etc.)
— new class of movement techniques, so far revealed: Squid Roll and Squid Surge.

Additionally, Turf War is confirmed and Salmon Run now as well (new bosses, new stages, new techniques!).

Some additional surprises and details will very likely be revealed soon, like another new weapon class. No word on amiibos, the new duo and the important ranked modes yet at all (probably at least one new mode is planned).

The Splatoon 2 community seems to be, all in all, ecstatic. This game will be huge!
Yeah, I don't get the "it's the same game" argument when literally everyone has been clamoring for a new mario kart, and it's still so early. I'm personally excited, especially over some of the smaller details this trailer revealed that a lot of people won't care about.

Well to be honest this is what I wanted and have been asking for. Assuming this is local split screen co-op then splatoon 3 will get a purchase from me.
No split screen. Salmon Run has an online schedule, and is also available for local play at least in 2.

From the initial trailer (and the Octo Expansion) I figured the single player was going to be a big deal in this one. Kinda strange that they didn't show that here, but with a "Summer" release window they can get a final trailer out at the June Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom