• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited for this, but would love more info.

The discourse from Splatoon 2 was very exhausting since it was an improvement to the first one while adding a new mode, and a fantastic story based expansion, plus the improvements to loadouts and balancing and a whole new mode, along with improvements to ranked. The only complaint about Splatoon 2 was Saltspray Rig was my favorite map from the first game and wish they brought it back. It was gigantic and with so many ways to approach it. I want some of the bigger more esoteric maps from the first game.

But you cannot just revamp the game completely or it stops being Splatoon. They can only from here make improvements and offer more modes, and of course, having a solid single player mode which is a terrific platformer in its own right.

Here are some things I do NOT want that some complain about. For random turf wars, do not do it the Mario Kart way and have everyone vote for the level. Keep it random, because if not I can see people just choosing the most popular ones. And yes, still keep shuffling players around even if playing with friends in random, because then people will just leave matches with how unfair it will be.

Keep more organized levels and team set ups for private lobbies.

However, expand the rotation. I like the idea of new stages every 2 to 3 hours, but instead off 2 possible stages, make it so it is 3, and as more stages come, make it so its 4.

Last edited:
Before I make my somewhat negative comment, I'd like to say I love Splatoon as a franchise, even if I think the sequel could have brought more changes to the table.

As for Splatoon 3, if this one has bigger changes, which I hope is the case, then Nintendo is doing a poor job at building hype for it by failing to show what is new.

Here are some things I do NOT want that some complain about. For random turf wars, do not do it the Mario Kart way and have everyone vote for the level. Keep it random, because if not I can see people just choosing the most popular ones.
Even with the Mario Kart method unpopular tracks still get picked, because it picks randomly from the votes, and you only get to choose from 3 tracks anyways. So I think it'd work perfectly fine. The less popular stages would get picked less, but you'd definitely still see them.

Yeah, I am all for the Mario Kart method when picking the level. I honestly always thought the limitation of having just a couple of levels available at any time was silly, and it made long play sessions somewhat repetitive.

Even with the Mario Kart method unpopular tracks still get picked, because it picks randomly from the votes, and you only get to choose from 3 tracks anyways. So I think it'd work perfectly fine. The less popular stages would get picked less, but you'd definitely still see them.
Yeah, but those are often luck based. My experience with MK... "Oh I love this track!" watches 6 other people pick Moo Moo Meadows fucking again

And may the odds be in your favor!

Yeah, I am all for the Mario Kart method when picking the level. I honestly always thought the limitation of having just a couple of levels available at any time was silly, and it made long play sessions somewhat repetitive.
Just expand the stage load out to 3 or 4 for a two hour play session depending how many stages we start off with. And make it so the same level cannot repeat multiple times in a row.

I love the two map, two hours approach, personally. I think maybe going to 3 maps would be okay, but for me it allows me to pick times to play when the maps I like the most are there, and I have the best chance of playing them. It feels like it's truly random which map you get of those two, but if they actually weighted it so you got the maps each a third of the time I might be okay? Nothing would bug me more than being in a rotation with two good maps, one meh map, and spend like 75% of my matches on the meh map.

One of the major problems with the rotation system is that people often have set schedules at which times they can relax and play games, so if the rotation happens to be garbage during the 2 hours of free time you have, you just straight up won't have a good time playing the game.

I'm a competitive player, and in competitive Splatoon half of the maps in the game don't even get played, so it feels like I'm straight up wasting my time if I play when Rainmaker on Moray Towers and Port Mackerel is in rotation.

Sadly hype seens very low, most reacts showed uninterest or said looks too similar to 2
It's a matter of comparison. A series returning after 15 years (Strikers) is going to make more noise than a drip feed of info on a game that looks + feels very similar to its predecessor.

As for the mario kart example, look + feel is a big part of what some of y'all are missing here. In terms of game preview, that's what really differentiates each title from one another. Splatoon is much more consistent, hence the need for further details to really understand how it has evolved.

Even when they showed the campaign and it's new scale, it was the same old comments about being the same thing.
Par for the course at this point for this serie that people actually don't know about, even within nintendo fans.

Now, it was a blow for hoping playing it early, such a short showing and a summer date, that's gonna be end of july at best...

It's no different from Splatoon 2, we also knew very little of that game until the Splatoon 2 Direct which came out just a few weeks before release. That's when they deluged us with info and I expect the same thing here.
Ah fair enough lol, I didn't follow Splatoon 2 too closely before launch but that game had a way quicker turn around from its reveal to its release which is what was confusing me. Definitely expecting and looking forward to a Splatoon 3 direct though

I really hope we get at least some new info through twitter in the next few months instead of the (near) radio silence we had between the last 2 trailers

Even when they showed the campaign and it's new scale, it was the same old comments about being the same thing.
Par for the course at this point for this serie that people actually don't know about, even within nintendo fans.

Now, it was a blow for hoping playing it early, such a short showing and a summer date, that's gonna be end of july at best...
Eh, they didn't really show the campaign though. That trailer where they cut to different screens every 2 seconds was hard to follow and doesn't give you an idea of the scale of the campaign. I hope it's big but the trailer surely doesn't show that.

It's really hard to think they've been showing drastically new things. In the trailer they just showed off, I could barely tell if that was even a new Salmon Run stage or not. It honestly looked like a Salmon Run update for Splatoon 2. Similar looking stage, same music with a few new bosses and the ability to toss the eggs.

I'm really hoping there is a big blowout of new stages soon, because they honestly haven't shown much for a game with 3 trailers.

Eh, they didn't really show the campaign though. That trailer where they cut to different screens every 2 seconds was hard to follow and doesn't give you an idea of the scale of the campaign. I hope it's big but the trailer surely doesn't show that.

It's really hard to think they've been showing drastically new things. In the trailer they just showed off, I could barely tell if that was even a new Salmon Run stage or not. It honestly looked like a Salmon Run update for Splatoon 2. Similar looking stage, same music with a few new bosses and the ability to toss the eggs.

I'm really hoping there is a big blowout of new stages soon, because they honestly haven't shown much for a game with 3 trailers.
I agree. I’m not trying to be negative, but I was confused with the Salmon Run. It looked exactly like Splatoon 2. I thought some big transformation was about to happen, but nothing. I do believe there’s alot of new stuff is hiding that we will say “wow there’s a ton of new stuff here”, but I think they’re holding it for a Splatoon Direct

The trailer in the latest direct did absolutely nothing for me. I like Splatoon and put a lot of time in to Splatoon 2, but I’m not convinced about this one yet.

I’m sure there’s more to come.

I put a couple thousand hours into Splatoon 2, and I'm getting Splatoon 3 100%, but if I wasn't such a huge fan I wouldn't be convinced either from the most recent trailer. If you don't look at the global game changes there were like what, 4 things that are actually "new" to salmon run?

Since the reveal they showed a more concrete world illustrated with camera pan traversal and larger areas, particularly visible in the snowy one on top of the floating platforms bitesized formula we know.
Those things weren't in the previous games, just briefly touched in the end of the expansion.
The discussion around this serie is simply bad, overall since the first trailer they showed a lot of new things, be it multiplayer or solo, pretty much the same as any other nintendo games trailers but it's still new, so many changes are lost on people who have nothing to say about smash, mario kart etc...
All of this even before this lackluster last trailer.

Since the reveal they showed a more concrete world illustrated with camera pan traversal and larger areas, particularly visible in the snowy one on top of the floating platforms bitesized formula we know.
Those things weren't in the previous games, just briefly touched in the end of the expansion.
The discussion around this serie is simply bad, overall since the first trailer they showed a lot of new things, be it multiplayer or solo, pretty much the same as any other nintendo games trailers but it's still new, so many changes are lost on people who have nothing to say about smash, mario kart etc...
All of this even before this lackluster last trailer.
The campaign having snow doesn't give us a real idea of the scope. I'd say the first trailer alludes to something bigger for the campaign but we haven't seen that yet. Once they show it for real, I'll be good. Smash reveals usually show way more new things, the reveal for Ultimate was...25 minutes of them explaining why it's new and people were calling it Smash 4.5 still.

No one is saying this is a port of Splatoon 2, of course the campaign is going to be a different campaign. The trailers have just been really underwhelming so far.

lol
How is it possible to misinterpret someone statement this much...
There is literally nothing that shows the scale of the campaign. Just a few clips that are a few seconds each showing different environments.

But we can just agree to disagree. You seem convinced that people who don't agree with you have something against Splatoon or don't understand it or something. I'm a seasoned Splatoon player and I have a pretty good handle on how the games play. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

Serious question: what exactly would Splatoon 3 need to be a "justified" release on the switch in people's eyes? Or is everyone just so used to only getting 1 major game of a series per console that Nintendo breaking that pattern for Splatoon is weird somehow?

I watched a video yesterday from someone who said him and his friend couldn’t even tell the difference between what they saw and Splatoon 2, and they’re hardcore Splatoon fans. Nintendo hasn’t done a good job. That’s fine for now. It will show better when Nintendo does a big blowout.

You don’t need to get on people for not liking what Nintendo has shown so far.

Super Mario Galaxy 2’s biggest criticism is that it feels like dlc. BotW 2 I can already tell people are ready to criticize if it uses so much from BotW after 4.5 years of development

Last edited:
Serious question: what exactly would Splatoon 3 need to be a "justified" release on the switch in people's eyes? Or is everyone just so used to only getting 1 major game of a series per console that Nintendo breaking that pattern for Splatoon is weird somehow?
New stages, new campaign and some new weapons is enough for me. Basically, I'm good if it's Splatoon 2 + more content.

Ideally though, it would be so much more, and a bigger campaign would be really nice.

Well, after Octo Expansion (which is flat out my favourite Nintendo game on Switch, the level design is fantastic) I was expecting a larger single-player mode. Perhaps it will be there, but they haven't announced anything so far. I was also expecting some new multiplayer modes playing with the rules of Splatoon, like, I dunno, larger maps you can traverse with vehicles that use your ink as fuel, or a Fornite-like mode.

I'm not a game designer and those are the first ideas that came to my mind. Perhaps they are bad ideas that wouldn't work in practice, but they would show how different Splatoon 3 is from the prequel available on the same console. The new Salmon Run is literally Salmon Run from Splatoon 2 with a new move.

I don't think it has to justify itself per se. New campaign and maps are enough for me and I will therefore buy it. But the reason I don't think the trailers have been really exciting is because it isn't differentiating itself from 2 in any way yet. A new battle mode is what I would really like to see. Mini battle royal with sixteen players, or 4v4v4v4 matches, whatever. Just... something

There is literally nothing that shows the scale of the campaign. Just a few clips that are a few seconds each showing different environments.

But we can just agree to disagree. You seem convinced that people who don't agree with you have something against Splatoon or don't understand it or something. I'm a seasoned Splatoon player and I have a pretty good handle on how the games play. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
No idea why you're responding any of this to this precise quote.
I was simply speechless you thought I wrote that the campaign is gonna be bigger because there is snow.Writing it now I'm still not computing.

"You seem convinced that people who don't agree with you have something against Splatoon or don't understand it or something."
And this part is projection.

No idea why you're responding any of this to this precise quote.
I was simply speechless you thought I wrote that the campaign is gonna be bigger because there is snow.Writing it now I'm still not computing.

"You seem convinced that people who don't agree with you have something against Splatoon or don't understand it or something."
And this part is projection.
You didn't really respond to anything I said and picked out one small part. My point was, as stated several times, they haven't shown off anything in the campaign to suggest the scale of it. What about the scene you mentioned indicates the scale of the campaign?

As for projection, you said the following

How is one supposed to take that? It very much sounds like you're saying we don't understand the changes.

Salmon Run coming back is cool but a new mode would be cooler.

Regarding the Smash comparison, I think every Smash game can be summarized with an interesting tagline ("Online multiplayer and a massive adventure mode!", "One game, two consoles!", "Everyone is Here!") in a way that -- at the moment -- is not true for Splatoon 3. Those games weren't just "more Smash". As for Mario Kart, I think every game since Double Dash advanced the formula one way or another, by progressively making the tracks a lot more interactive, which is more substantial than "Salmon Run with a new move".

Double Dash: Overhauling of the driving system, track design with lots of shortcuts, new items, different karts with different stats. Having two characters driving the car was the icing on the cake, but it was unsubstantial gameplay-wise
DS: Double-downing on Double Dash (e.g. the Bullet Bill is just a reskinned Chain Chomp), online, mission mode
Wii: Introduction of tricks, which really improved the way the player interacts with the environment (again, an evolution of the driving system and the track design introduced by Double Dash)
7: Tracks now also take place underwater or in the air
8: Antigrav and a culmination of everything before

Splatoon 3's first trailer was promising, but everything they've shown after that was pretty much "more Splatoon 2" and I think the next iteration of Splatoon can be a lot more interesting than that. That said, I'm sure they still have a lot to show, but at the moment I'm not impressed.

When I played Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 my dreams for what the mode might become in Splatoon 3 wasn't "the same but 2 new boss salmonids and now you can toss eggs". I wanted it to be the test bed and proof of concept of an expanded ongoing co-op PvE experience that would rival Splatoon's PvP modes in care and attention given to it. More maps, yes. New enemies, sure. But additional win conditions, too, retooled rewards, and a different mission structure.

Splatoon's areas of improvement at this point are largely found in the surrounding systems. The core gameplay is as close to perfect as you're likely to get, and has been since the first game, and attempts to fine-tune it have been for the worse as often as for the better because improving on 99% perfection is hard. On the other hand items, abilities and upgrades could use a third attempt, and that one probably won't get it right either, but even if it did, that's not the kind of stuff that shows up in trailers.

You didn't really respond to anything I said and picked out one small part. My point was, as stated several times, they haven't shown off anything in the campaign to suggest the scale of it. What about the scene you mentioned indicates the scale of the campaign?

As for projection, you said the following

How is one supposed to take that? It very much sounds like you're saying we don't understand the changes.
That "one small part" is so bad that it stopped me dead and if it wasn't there I have nothing much to say without repeating my previous post anyway.

Lastly I don't see the controversy saying people not knowing splatoon and missing the changes shown since the first trailer get the splatoon 1.5(2.5 now!) trigger easy.
It has even become a meme at this point.

That "one small part" is so bad that it stopped me dead and if it wasn't there I have nothing much to say without repeating my previous post anyway.

Lastly I don't see the controversy saying people not knowing splatoon and missing the changes shown since the first trailer get the splatoon 1.5(2.5 now!) trigger easy.
It has even become a meme at this point.
So yeah, the one small part was so bad but you can't answer my question. I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know what you saw in that scene, be it the environments, camera angels, whatever that gives any indication of the scope of the campaign. Nothing they've shown has done that. Again, what about that scene indicates the scope of the campaign?

As for the second part, you claimed I was projecting by saying you think people who are unimpressed don't understand Splatoon, now you're admitting that is indeed what you meant. So no, I wasn't projecting, it's word for word what you said. I can assure you I'm a seasoned Splatoon player, I'm ranked higher than the vast majority of the world. I understand the game. It's just a cop out excuse to use when someone disagrees with you. Most people in this topic likely understand Splatoon. They just disagree with you. If you feel differently about what they've shown, cool. No one is getting on you for that. You don't give the same courtesy for those who are unimpressed, and just act as if what's being shown is going way over our heads.

release date and new gameplay trailer

fq80wamwyaimgwsr0jch.jpg

Last edited:
So yeah, I’m guessing it needed a little more time and just swapped places with Xenoblade.

Shit. Was hoping to play during the summer holidays. Well, the new specials look dope though. Especially the throwable mini inkstrikes.

Also, the music sounded a bit muffled to me. Is that YouTube related? At least I hope so

Looks so sick, there's not a single thing I dislike. Map looks great, the bow looks great, the new specials and subweapons look great. As a frequent brush user, it seems like all that wirebug movement in MHR is going to pay off.

There are a LOOOOT of new special weapons !
I would have preferred Splatoon in July and Xenoblade 3 in September but I'll take it !

I'm super excited, this is gonna be my favorite Switch game if the campaign is as cool as the Octo expansion.

Nintendo loves to position release dates towards the end of the month, and will generally only release something in the first half if something else is releasing in the back half of the month. Wonder what else is in Sept… Bayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom