• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that some people aren't as excited about the game as you are. It's up to Nintendo to convince them otherwise and so far they haven't done that good of a job of it.

Maybe try to recognize that people here are sincerely lamenting the perceived lack of progression between games. Even if you disagree with them, it's not trolling if they're being sincere, and it is nothing but inflammatory to label it as such.
There are legit people talking about that...there are also people who are saying garbage like "creatively bankrupt". What's the sincerely lamenting there?

Edit: Like...maybe it's because this franchise keeps meeting folks that feels the need to just say stuff that offers no actual criticism beyond inflammatory rhetoric that is made to anger people who are fans of the game that people are far faster to label others as trolling. And no, not everyone in this thread who doesn't like the trailer is trolling, don't try and twist it like that, but there are clearly posts that aren't anything but an attempt to anger those who are fans of what they see for no reason.

There are legit people talking about that...there are also people who are saying garbage like "creatively bankrupt". What's the sincerely lamenting there?

Edit: Like...maybe it's because this franchise keeps meeting folks that feels the need to just say stuff that offers no actual criticism beyond inflammatory rhetoric that is made to anger people who are fans of the game that people are far faster to label others as trolling. And no, not everyone in this thread who doesn't like the trailer is trolling, don't try and twist it like that, but there are clearly posts that aren't anything but an attempt to anger those who are fans of what they see for no reason.
Exactly, no one here is saying you have to be excited for this game, just don't be a shithead. Rather then trying to spread your own personal view that there are no changes from the last game or that the game is creatively bankrupt as fact maybe engage with those fans who are excited and see why they are excited. However if that is too hard then simply say that it's not for you, but you hope fans will enjoy it and move on.

Plenty of exaggerations and misrepresentations from both the Splatoon fans and detractors in this thread. No, Splatoon 3 is not just Splatoon 2.5 or a DLC pack. Maybe as a Nintendo fan you are not used to sequels of multiplayer-focused games that are more refinement than revolution. Call of Duty does not change its triumvirate of gameplay modes (identical to Splatoon's, in fact), and the one time it did with Black Ops 4 there was a ton of blowback. On the flip side, though, not everyone who is not impressed with Splatoon 3's current showings is a concern troll. And it is not unreasonable to suppose that after Nintendo has passed on four opportunities to show the big differentiating factor of Splatoon 3 over its predecessor maybe the big differentiating factor doesn't exist and Splatoon 3 will ship with the same three main offerings (campaign, MP in both turf war and ranked modes, Salmon Run) as Splatoon 2.

And of course I'm sure there will be at least one new ranked mode available at launch but I think people mean something on the level of Salmon Run for Splatoon 2 when they talk about wanting some new mode for Splatoon 3.

Last edited:
I get the frustration at the ignorance towards the way release cycles work. But I think it's a leap to suggest people are doing it to troll, especially here of all places.
I think we have a problem with the meaning of "trolling" going on lately.

I don't think these people do it intentionally to fuck with people, so it's definitely not trolling. Not everything that bothers you is someone "trolling" you. They might just disagree with you, or have different degrees of weird opinions. And you can argue, and disagree, and even call them out on being bad or unreasonable opinions.

But saying they're trolling is weird. Not everyone disagrees with you just to fuck with you. Sometimes they just do.

Plenty of exaggerations and misrepresentations from both the Splatoon fans and detractors in this thread. No, Splatoon 3 is not just Splatoon 2.5 or a DLC pack. Maybe as a Nintendo fan you are not used to sequels of MP-focused games that are more refinement than revolution. On the flip side, though, not everyone who is not impressed with Splatoon 3's current showings is a concern troll. And it is not unreasonable to suppose that after Nintendo has passed on four opportunities to show the big differentiating factor of Splatoon 3 over its predecessor maybe the big differentiating factor doesn't exist and Splatoon 3 will ship with the same three main offerings (campaign, MP in both turf war and ranked modes, Salmon Run) as Splatoon 2.
Nailed it. I wish there was a bit more to this game, but I'm just happy we're getting a new one at all.

having watched teh Return of the Mammalians trailer again, one thing that worries me the most about the single player is the retread of concepts. Splatoon 2 was already more of the same in the one mode I expect to have bigger changes, but with Splatoon 3, we have the same enemies for a third time. just hairier. it doesn't allay the fears of "more of the same"

Well, I never said it should be the focus. But the fundamentals are so strong and the movement is so enjoyable, that they could carry a more robust single-player campaign with relative ease. We have to wait and see, but I am optimistic.
That's fair, and I agree there's a lot of potential for a single-player campaign with the mechanics in this series. I just feel like people saying the game needs a big campaign are kind of setting themselves up for disappointment because it'll always essentially be a side mode that acts as a tutorial for multiplayer. Octo Expansion was great, but I don't think we'll see more complex levels like that in the base game's campaign because that was targeting people who already had a handle on the mechanics. Hopefully 3's campaign will at least have some kind of shake up in level design.

I just watched the first Octo Expansion trailer again, accidentally clicked on the description and saw something interesting. I wonder why this says "the FIRST Splatoon 2 paid DLC"? Maybe Splatoon 3 is yet another case of DLC turned into a new game.

And of course I'm sure there will be at least one new ranked mode available at launch but I think people mean something on the level of Salmon Run for Splatoon 2 when they talk about wanting some new mode for Splatoon 3.
Even that's not really a safe bet; Clam Blitz wasn't added until the 2.1.0 update in December 2017. And while 5 months isn't that long, there are people who picked up, enjoyed, and put down Splatoon 2 for good before Clam Blitz was ever announced. For those people, there were no new PvP modes to play.

I would love a new mode as major as Salmon Run. I think the next 'obvious' mode is a co-op story. I see a lot of potential for a multiplayer campaign with the existing Splatoon mechanics, especially with puzzle elements - something the existing single player stuff hasn't done much with.

I just watched the first Octo Expansion trailer again, accidentally clicked on the description and saw something interesting. I wonder why this says "the FIRST Splatoon 2 paid DLC"? Maybe Splatoon 3 is yet another case of DLC turned into a new game.

Might just be pointing out that this piece of DLC needs to be bought, as opposed to all the free DLC the game received in the past.

Pardon me for the huge wall of text that will follow, but with my English I can't keep things short.

Because we've heard the same song and dance before over and over and over and over and usually it is concern trolling, like arguing that this game is a stop gap for a real Splatoon sequel, saying that there are no new gameplay mechanics, etc. None of that is "criticism". And that's not going to the more obvious trolling I've seen outside the forum. It gets tiring and yeah it should get called out.

As for actual legit complaints, sure, the trailers for new people have been lacking since the initial reveal trailer, that's a criticism I understand but at the same time maybe they can show gameplay to those who want it? This is out first time seeing a full match. It actually does showcase a whole bunch of new things such as how dodging has armor, new specials, the new quick movement weapon. This is important for fans because they can see the differences and see why they would want to buy it. I'm like 99% positive we're getting more "oooo look at this" trailers in the future anyways.
Even if you continue to hear it again and again, that doesn't mean it's trolling. You don't call someone concern trolling because they're disappointed with the reveals so far and have different opinions on how it's handled. Even if you don't understand it or find it outrageous. What you do is either ignore it or engage in conversation to better understand each other.

They can show whatever they want, no one is saying they can't show gameplay. Heck, that's the thing I love about Nintendo games is that it's not all CG crap, but gameplay first.

What this latest trailer showed is a whole bunch of new things that I don't feel makes a sequel. New specials? Well I would hope so, that's what they did with Splatoon 2, but they also remove the old ones so we're probably not gaining much (not that I'll complain if it better balances stuff). A new dodge jump isn't something I find worth praising when bigger improvements are mostly absent so far. What new weapon have we seen besides the bow? The slinging power up is a special move, not a weapon if that's what you're referring to. It's really awesome though.

But most these things so far don't explain to me why this had to be a sequel, the only big thing so far is the singleplayer campaign which most people are hyped about. The whole package so far is lacking. Besides the singleplayer, what else is worth being a sequel right now? 2 new Salmonid bosses and the ability to throw eggs? A giant Salmonid? A dodge jump? New launch platforms for the start of matches?

I'm getting this game day 1, but that's just because I'm a huge Splatoon fan. I'd like to see stuff truly building on the foundation that's been set, where are those improvements? The octo expansion in Splatoon 2 is a great example of that. Most people are praising it left and right and calling it the best the series has to offer. I would hope they implement stuff from that. Where are the co-op PvE content? Where are the new PvP modes? New Salmon Run rules like a endless survival mode? Of course I'm not saying any of this needs to be included, but I'm just giving examples of the scale of things they could reveal that would hype a critic (and fan) like me. That is imo how you can iterate on the series.

Probably because most of the complaints about there being nothing new boil down to:

• Not understanding (or not wanting to acknowledge) how different moves/weapon kits can make a multiplayer game feel drastically different than its predecessor. Multiplayer games are inherently dynamic, and even just a few changes can allow for tons of new interactions in matches. The turf war gameplay showed battles that will allow players to be much more aggressive with the squid roll and powerful specials (compared to the more passive ones in 2 that generally required coordinating with teammates to get much out of). All of these have different properties than specials in past games, and will allow people to come up with new strategies to use/counter them. They also don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a game that feels different than its predecessors, it's okay to create new content that improves the current formula.
  • Wanting a primarily multiplayer game to have some grand single-player adventure. It's okay to want the series to have good single-player content, and there is a lot of potential for campaigns in this series, but it honestly feels like people complaining about this think it should be the focus of the game (basically the inverse of "forced multiplayer" complaints people have made about other games over the years).
  • The same complaints that happen with almost every Nintendo game, showing that a lot of people still haven't learned how Nintendo markets their games. It's true that we still haven't seen any major new modes 5 months out from launch, but this same conversation has been had about so many Nintendo games, and it almost always ends up not being the case that what we've currently seen is all the game has to offer. Someone brought up Kirby earlier in the thread, and that was a game where a major new feature was revealed less than two months before launch.

It's perfectly fine to be disappointed with what has been shown so far, but there's a little too much gamer hyperbole drowning out actual discussion of the game. To an outsider reading this thread, it would probably seem like this series is more divisive than recent Pokémon games.
  • Who's talking about the need to reinvent the wheel or saying it's not okay to improve the current formula? I really don't get this point. How do you come to the conclusion that people don't understand? Most stuff you've mentioned could have been an update to Splatoon 2. Yes, these changes change how matches play out in these type of games and they are indeed very dynamic, the smallest additions can lead to big changes in gameplay. But why does that need to translate into a sequel? We've had new specials added as an update in previous games, this is nothing new or a big improvement. The dodge jump is the only thing that's worth mentioning imo.
  • You said it yourself: you feel like they think it should be the focus of the game. So, you're not sure what they mean? Why don't you ask them? Why does that mean they're trolling? And it's okay for people to have different expectations.
  • 5 months is still plenty of time to show off new stuff. But the game has been announced over, what, a year ago? And we've had like 4 trailers I think? If nothing out of those is something new, that people feel is not explaining why this sequel is worth buying then that's on them. This is the second time we've seen gameplay on the same map, with most of the subweapons and specials shown again. That doesn't sound convincing to me. I don't blame others for thinking there isn't much new coming out though, even if I don't agree. Kirby is a different situation, it wasn't revealed more than a year away from release, so marketing couldn't start that early. And it's a totally new type of game compared to previous iterations, it's a singleplayer game and almost everything about it is new. You'd need to use another multiplayer focused game to make a better comparison. Like Mario Tennis, Gold, Strikers etc. And the former 2 aren't exactly what I want Splatoon to be compared to. But that's just me.
IMO the thread feels more divisive because of people constantly calling others trolls. It's adding needless frustration to others, which will just result in negativity and perhaps even toxicity. Let's try to stay civil and have a good discussion, both for those excited with what's shown and those who are disappointed or concerned.

Happen with every Nintendo game

this game could turn out to be a glorified DLC for Splatoon 2 and people here who are calling every criticism as just trolling/people doesn't know what they're talking about will ignore the conversation even happened

The trailers for this game have been mediocre and signaling that the franchise despite being fresh and unique is already looking creatively bankrupt

Is Nintendo hiding something still ? of course, but just potentially one cool addition to what Splatoon 2 offered is hardly enough, and at this point and after 3 trailers that's the most we can hope for
I don't agree the series is creatively bankrupt, it's still the freshest series out there imo. Yes, what they've shown so far is not much, but who knows what they have planned.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of something, but when you start making definitive statements about a game months before it releases and which we know little about then don't be shocked if people call you out. A lot of the "criticism" in this thread reeks of the old "Splatoon 2 is Splatoon 1.5" nonsense.

The game releases in five months, hell we barely knew anything about Splatoon 2 until a few weeks before release. Fuck off with your "Creatively bankrupt" bs.
There is barely any "definitive" statements. Not everyone is a troll if they don't agree with you. You don't have a right to call them that. If you don't understand the disappointment or criticism, you engage in conversation than throw a label on them.

There is plenty of time for more stuff to be revealed. I'm expecting a dedicated direct some time this summer. But the game has been announced over a year ago. If in all this time they've barely shown anything worth a sequel then I can get any criticism.

And Splatoon 2 was announced 6 months before it released, of course we didn't know much about it early on. It was also the launch year of the Switch, marketing strategy was very different back then because of the position of the system and other things.

The criticism is pretty much the same when people talk about Street Fighter (or Devil May Cry) and call them to be all the same. If you do not play them very often you might not understand what actually differentates them, which is fine of course. Creatively Bankrupt is funny though. It's Splatoon 3, what do you expect? The game turn into a kart racer?

my personal expectations is that they finally fix the tick rate of all things they could do, trading with some weapons because of that is hilarious.

I think if you look at the negative posts that received backlash in this thread and those that didn't, you'll see a difference, and it's where the line is crossed from expressing disappointment in what's been shown so far into extrapolating from the current state of an advertisement campaign into hyperbolic declarations about the final products's definitive value.

But there's a more fundamental disagreement about what a Splatoon sequel is, that's worth having explicitely.

What this latest trailer showed is a whole bunch of new things that I don't feel makes a sequel. New specials? Well I would hope so, that's what they did with Splatoon 2, but they also remove the old ones so we're probably not gaining much (not that I'll complain if it better balances stuff). A new dodge jump isn't something I find worth praising when bigger improvements are mostly absent so far. What new weapon have we seen besides the bow? The slinging power up is a special move, not a weapon if that's what you're referring to. It's really awesome though.

But most these things so far don't explain to me why this had to be a sequel, the only big thing so far is the singleplayer campaign which most people are hyped about. The whole package so far is lacking. Besides the singleplayer, what else is worth being a sequel right now? 2 new Salmonid bosses and the ability to throw eggs? A giant Salmonid? A dodge jump? New launch platforms for the start of matches?

If each new Splatoon game was no more than a new set of maps, new weapons, new specials, one new ranked mode and two year's worth of Splatfests and balance updates ...it'd still be justified as a new game.

Why? Well, what's the alternative? Map packs split the playerbase, on top of not mixing well with rotations. Same or worse for piecemeal modes. How do you fund development of new weapons and ongoing patch support? Microtransactions? Loot boxes? Subscriptions?

The cleaner solution is to package everything into a new standalone release. Less messy in terms of monetization and healthier for the community, as more old players will jump on board than would with each incremental DLC while new players are likelier to give the game a try if they can start the same day as everyone else.

The irony of Splatoon's "Stay fresh!" motto is that staying fresh, like with fashion trends, often practically amounts to very little. The business model wouldn't have it any other way.

Besides the need to monetize the support of a multiplayer game series, the changes to the setting alone mean that this game wouldn't be appropriate as an update to 2.

Pardon me for the huge wall of text that will follow, but with my English I can't keep things short.

Even if you continue to hear it again and again, that doesn't mean it's trolling. You don't call someone concern trolling because they're disappointed with the reveals so far and have different opinions on how it's handled. Even if you don't understand it or find it outrageous. What you do is either ignore it or engage in conversation to better understand each other.

They can show whatever they want, no one is saying they can't show gameplay. Heck, that's the thing I love about Nintendo games is that it's not all CG crap, but gameplay first.

I'm getting this game day 1, but that's just because I'm a huge Splatoon fan. I'd like to see stuff truly building on the foundation that's been set, where are those improvements? The octo expansion in Splatoon 2 is a great example of that. Most people are praising it left and right and calling it the best the series has to offer. I would hope they implement stuff from that. Where are the co-op PvE content? Where are the new PvP modes? New Salmon Run rules like a endless survival mode? Of course I'm not saying any of this needs to be included, but I'm just giving examples of the scale of things they could reveal that would hype a critic (and fan) like me. That is imo how you can iterate on the series.
No, I'm sorry, but bullshit has existed and I've also noticed that a few people changed their posts to make it seem like I'm crazy but there were those saying that this game was being sent out as a stop gap for a real sequel. I've seen on other sites garbage like "This game is a failure because no one will buy it outside of Japan" or "The west isn't interested in this game" where "the west" = "one person". No there isn't anything to be said about those folk and yes I will call it trolling if it has zero actual criticisms. Creatively bankrupt is not a factual criticism no matter how much we try and twist it.

And...yeah sure, I agree that if you want more modes Splatoon 3 hasn't shown any. I hope they do but they are probably keeping the cards close to their chest. Splatoon is a game series that always advertises its gameplay more than its story. If we get something like Octo Expansion it might be later. Who knows.

And quite frankly, I'm sick of people who pretend that people who are complaining about those who purposefully say inflamatorry shit like "This isn't a real sequel" or "creatively bankrupt" or "this is a stopgap measure for the real splatoon sequel" should be called out for what it is. You actually went and talked about things that are actually there. And yes, I do agree we want to see more modes. But even if it was iterative...that still would justify a sequel. The moment to moment gameplay does change and adding in the new single player campaign that pretty much cover a new sequel.

I'd buy a standalone Salmon Run game if the mode was fleshed out into a full co-op PvE campaign like Left 4 Dead BY THE WAY NINTENDO1

here's the Salmon Run announcement, made in April 2017

Let's not sound the alarm until June, alright?

If each new Splatoon game was no more than a new set of maps, new weapons, new specials, one new ranked mode and two year's worth of Splatfests and balance updates ...it'd still be justified as a new game.

Why? Well, what's the alternative? Map packs split the playerbase, on top of not mixing well with rotations. Same or worse for piecemeal modes. How do you fund development of new weapons and ongoing patch support? Microtransactions? Loot boxes? Subscriptions?

The cleaner solution is to package everything into a new standalone release. Less messy in terms of monetization and healthier for the community, as more old players will jump on board than would with each incremental DLC while new players are likelier to give the game a try if they can start the same day as everyone else.

The irony of Splatoon's "Stay fresh!" motto is that staying fresh, like with fashion trends, often practically amounts to very little. The business model wouldn't have it any other way.
It would be justified sure, depending on who you ask. Like I said, to me personally I would just question it.

I'm sure Nintendo could figure out multiple ways to monetize further content updates to Splatoon 2 if they wanted to. The free updates were amazing and added a lot to the base game. They could add DLC packs for the main game: New gear would be one of the most obvious ones for example, since it's not their first time locking gear behind a pay wall (amiibo gear).

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying Splatoon 3 shouldn't be happening. I think now is the right time for a sequel with the Switch having a huge install base, the successor probably being a few years away and now Splatoon 2 has lost momentum.

Splatoon 3 shouldn't be like a standalone release of Splatoon 2 with more content updates. It should be more than that, building upon the ideas of the 2 previous games. Unless that's not what you meant?

Anyway, my whole point was that with everything I've seen of the game right now, there isn't much new compared to the previous game. Whatever they end up revealing for this game, I'm still getting it day 1 and I'm going to love it.

No, I'm sorry, but bullshit has existed and I've also noticed that a few people changed their posts to make it seem like I'm crazy but there were those saying that this game was being sent out as a stop gap for a real sequel. I've seen on other sites garbage like "This game is a failure because no one will buy it outside of Japan" or "The west isn't interested in this game" where "the west" = "one person". No there isn't anything to be said about those folk and yes I will call it trolling if it has zero actual criticisms. Creatively bankrupt is not a factual criticism no matter how much we try and twist it.

And...yeah sure, I agree that if you want more modes Splatoon 3 hasn't shown any. I hope they do but they are probably keeping the cards close to their chest. Splatoon is a game series that always advertises its gameplay more than its story. If we get something like Octo Expansion it might be later. Who knows.

And quite frankly, I'm sick of people who pretend that people who are complaining about those who purposefully say inflamatorry shit like "This isn't a real sequel" or "creatively bankrupt" or "this is a stopgap measure for the real splatoon sequel" should be called out for what it is. You actually went and talked about things that are actually there. And yes, I do agree we want to see more modes. But even if it was iterative...that still would justify a sequel. The moment to moment gameplay does change and adding in the new single player campaign that pretty much cover a new sequel.
I don't get why you're so focused on those type of comments which are a drop in a bucket, but I guess we just disagree on this point.

I'm sure they have many more things to reveal on the game, it's just that so far in my opinion they haven't advertised the game well enough in the 4 trailers we've gotten in the past year (actually, the latest trailer and the Salmon Run trailer to be more specific). I think these 2 trailers should have been left for when the release is close, so players can see the detailed changes in the weapons etc.

Here's the thing: what people want is an iteration on the game. The Octo Expansion was iterative, Salmon Run was iterative. These types of content build upon the foundation and main gameplay of the games. They don't change how the core gameplay works. I was hoping perhaps they'd show off those kind of iterative improvements by now. The singleplayer campaign seems to be that, but we still need to see more.

We'll see what they have to show in the next 4 months.

I have my heart set on one of the idols being a rocker dude Octoling
What if we get a boyband? 5 octo/inkling pretty boys at the same time. Or one of those huge Japanese idol groups, like AKB58. Call them IKA18 (ika for squid, 10(squid limbs) +8(octopus limbs).

It would be justified sure, depending on who you ask. Like I said, to me personally I would just question it.

I'm sure Nintendo could figure out multiple ways to monetize further content updates to Splatoon 2 if they wanted to. The free updates were amazing and added a lot to the base game. They could add DLC packs for the main game: New gear would be one of the most obvious ones for example, since it's not their first time locking gear behind a pay wall (amiibo gear).

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying Splatoon 3 shouldn't be happening. I think now is the right time for a sequel with the Switch having a huge install base, the successor probably being a few years away and now Splatoon 2 has lost momentum.

Splatoon 3 shouldn't be like a standalone release of Splatoon 2 with more content updates. It should be more than that, building upon the ideas of the 2 previous games. Unless that's not what you meant?

I meant that whatever patch added Main Power Up should have been released as a stand-alone sequel, because then I'd have been able to ignore it and go back to playing Splatoon 2 without MPU. With multiplayer titles there's a case for leaving any major upheavals of even simple balance details to seperate releases.

No, what I meant is what I asked: What's the alternative business model that'd you prefer Splatoon to take if the team wants to keep releasing new maps, weapons, modes and smaller features and design tweaks? Because gear DLC doesn't sound appealing from a player's POV nor lucrative from a publisher POV, and "I'm sure Nintendo could figure something out" isn't an answer. What's your ideal solution? Obviously it's "Splatoon 3 as revealed so far but plus a big new unique selling point to justify making another game" but if the choice is between that and the series slowly bleeding out since no one at EPD has pitched a great hook for a third game yet but support of Splatoon 2 has stopped since money ran out? Those free updates that were amazing and added a lot to the base game weren't free. That's content you were charged 60$ and those sixty bucks were good for two years and change.

I'm still waiting on juicy fresh addition myself, but there's a upper limit to how consequential that addition is likely to be, before it itself would justify becoming a standalone title, as my Salmon Run 4 Your Live joke alluded to.

I have my heart set on one of the idols being a rocker dude Octoling
What if we get a boyband? 5 octo/inkling pretty boys at the same time. Or one of those huge Japanese idol groups, like AKB58. Call them IKA18 (ika for squid, 10(squid limbs) +8(octopus limbs).

As long as we're not getting another female duo. And shopkeepers could stand to be not palette swaps of the previous game's archetypes, too.

Best case scenario: BABY SQUID METAL! (featuring an all new group; or all four of Callie, Marie, Pearl and Marina plus an unknown rotating male guitarist)

Last edited:
I've seen on other sites garbage like "This game is a failure because no one will buy it outside of Japan" or "The west isn't interested in this game" where "the west" = "one person".
What does the stuff people are saying on other sites have to do with calling some people here trolls? Exactly nothing.

Shithead, trolls, fuck off... Dem fighting words. For a game with generally good vibes this board sure knows how to get toxic.
My position remains the same: unlike Splatoon 2 which only had 2 years of development and still managed to bring enough new elements to be a worthy sequel, that one had 4-ish years in the oven and the series has exploded in terms of popularity.

Nobody expect them to reinvent the wheel, that's a complete strawman, but it's going to take significantly more than what was shown so far to convince me that Splatoon 3 was needed. For instance, 1 or 2 more PvE modes would be great. Fighting gigantic salmon bosses monster hunter style, for example.

They still have time to show more, and I hope they will because but from what we've seen so far, I'm not impressed.

I meant that whatever patch added Main Power Up should have been released as a stand-alone sequel, because then I'd have been able to ignore it and go back to playing Splatoon 2 without MPU. With multiplayer titles there's a case for leaving any major upheavals of even simple balance details to seperate releases.

No, what I meant is what I asked: What's the alternative business model that'd you prefer Splatoon to take if the team wants to keep releasing new maps, weapons, modes and smaller features and design tweaks? Because gear DLC doesn't sound appealing from a player's POV nor lucrative from a publisher POV, and "I'm sure Nintendo could figure something out" isn't an answer. What's your ideal solution? Obviously it's "Splatoon 3 as revealed so far but plus a big new unique selling point to justify making another game" but if the choice is between that and the series slowly bleeding out since no one at EPD has pitched a great hook for a third game yet but support of Splatoon 2 has stopped since money ran out? Those free updates that were amazing and added a lot to the base game weren't free. That's content included in your up-front charge of 60$.

I'm still waiting on juicy fresh addition myself, but there's a upper limit to how consequential that addition is likely to be, before it itself would justify becoming a standalone title, as I alluded to in my Salmon Run 4 Your Live joke.

As long as we're not getting another female duo. And shopkeepers could stand to be not palette swaps of the previous game's archetypes, too.

Best case scenario: BABY SQUID METAL! (featuring an all new group; or all four of Callie, Marie, Pearl and Marina plus an unknown rotating male guitarist)
Main Power Up should have been better balanced then. Or make it easier to get it in subslots. Having a gear with perfect rolled skills and then have a new one introduced that fits your build better just sucks. I personally don't really like how skills are handled in the game, even though it's an improvement on the first game.

New modes are what I want in a new game, I didn't say otherwise. But for the rest it depends on amount, scale and the whole package. If all we get is new maps, gear and weapons with some tweaks after all this time, then I'd rather have it as DLC for the previous game. But if the scale of those additions get too big (though I wouldn't know when that is without seeing the content for myself) and we'd get new modes, a new singleplayer campaign (which we're getting) or generally a new idea that builds upon the formula like Salmon Run did, then I'll play a high price for that no matter in which form they sell it.

The gear DLC was just an example, but why wouldn't it be appealing to both the players or Nintendo? They could do cosmetic only "layered" gear, perhaps give you control to change colors of gear you otherwise couldn't, add new brands gear that have different configurations for skills, add weapon a weapon type. Look at fighting games, they can sell both content that doesn't affect gameplay and sell you actual characters. All of that is possible, and without even resorting to mtx, loot boxes and the such. Of course I don't have the solution, but to me having a minimal content update for a sequel also isn't one.
Again, I don't think that's what Splatoon 3 is, but I do think it's a bad move to have the first few reveals being focused on that.

I don't think it's an either or situation. I doubt the devs don't have any ideas how to build upon the series, that's almost entertaining the "creative bankrupt" view.
I guess you're right about the free updates not actually being free, but part of the price you've paid for the game. But I personally would be fine paying for similar content as DLC.

Let's say for example, the Salmon Run trailer showed multiple rule sets like an endless mode or whatever that shows how fleshed out and improved this mode will be, I would be all over that and I'd perhaps think that's all I need to see to call Splatoon 3 a worthy sequel.

Best case scenario on the idols for me would be to bring back the squid sisters and call it a day. No wait, ditch Marie, Callie takes the spotlight now and that's all we need.

There’s fair criticism with how a game is marketed, especially a sequel perhaps not showing much.

But at the end of the day. It’s the final product that matters and that’s something we don’t get till release day. So we Can only talk about with what the marketing/PR is telling us.

At one point. We had discussions that BOTW wouldn’t have dungeons, NPCs or towns of any sorts lol

Just add Territorial Rotbart as the king of the mammalians and everyone is going to be satisfied with this sequel

This is a very interesting watch if you're one of the people who thinks "Why would I buy Splatoon 3 if I have Splatoon 2? What justifies making another Splatoon game on the same console?"

Nobody expect them to reinvent the wheel, that's a complete strawman, but it's going to take significantly more than what was shown so far to convince me that Splatoon 3 was needed. For instance, 1 or 2 more PvE modes would be great. Fighting gigantic salmon bosses monster hunter style, for example.
I think it's fair to criticize the lack of a new hook, so to speak. I, too, am expecting something new to show up in future trailers, so I can sympathize and obviously don't consider it trolling. That said, I don't think underselling the changes and additions to the multiplayer (aka, the core experience) while asking for a completely different kind of experience to be added is a fair thing to do.

As an example: no-one is demanding a Dark Souls style PvP mode for BotW2 to justify itself, because that would obviously be nonsensical. It's just not the kind of game BotW is, the absence of such a mode is justified by what the experience itself is. This reasoning often doesn't apply to multiplayer-oriented games (especially fighting games!) despite the request being equally arbitrary. It exposes how single-player content is the only worthwhile content in the eyes of many people, despite the fact that we're talking about a team-based online multiplayer shooter.

Sorry, I'll try to respond to your post once I've collected my wits. This is flamiest flame bait in the entire thread.
callie-splatoon.gif

• Who's talking about the need to reinvent the wheel or saying it's not okay to improve the current formula? I really don't get this point. How do you come to the conclusion that people don't understand? Most stuff you've mentioned could have been an update to Splatoon 2. Yes, these changes change how matches play out in these type of games and they are indeed very dynamic, the smallest additions can lead to big changes in gameplay. But why does that need to translate into a sequel? We've had new specials added as an update in previous games, this is nothing new or a big improvement. The dodge jump is the only thing that's worth mentioning imo.
  • You said it yourself: you feel like they think it should be the focus of the game. So, you're not sure what they mean? Why don't you ask them? Why does that mean they're trolling? And it's okay for people to have different expectations.
  • 5 months is still plenty of time to show off new stuff. But the game has been announced over, what, a year ago? And we've had like 4 trailers I think? If nothing out of those is something new, that people feel is not explaining why this sequel is worth buying then that's on them. This is the second time we've seen gameplay on the same map, with most of the subweapons and specials shown again. That doesn't sound convincing to me. I don't blame others for thinking there isn't much new coming out though, even if I don't agree. Kirby is a different situation, it wasn't revealed more than a year away from release, so marketing couldn't start that early. And it's a totally new type of game compared to previous iterations, it's a singleplayer game and almost everything about it is new. You'd need to use another multiplayer focused game to make a better comparison. Like Mario Tennis, Gold, Strikers etc. And the former 2 aren't exactly what I want Splatoon to be compared to. But that's just me.
IMO the thread feels more divisive because of people constantly calling others trolls. It's adding needless frustration to others, which will just result in negativity and perhaps even toxicity. Let's try to stay civil and have a good discussion, both for those excited with what's shown and those who are disappointed or concerned.
Let's get one thing out of the way first: I never called anyone in this thread a troll. I was just explaining why others are frustrated with some of the people coming in here just to shit on the game.

• Bolded a few parts of that first argument because you contradict the first sentence a few times. I said people either don't understand, or want to acknowledge. It's true that people didn't use the exact wording of needing to reinvent the wheel, but the idea that there needs to be some big change/new feature to justify a sequel is absolutely a common sentiment in the complaints about Splatoon 3. The reason so many people are saying that others complaining about there being nothing of significance new don't understand is because it's such a hyperbolic statement that the only explanation is if that person either doesn't understand, or is just being needlessly obtuse. Also, Splatoon 2 will soon be a 5 year old game that most people no longer care about. Fans want more content, and Nintendo wants to make good business decisions. That's reason enough to justify a sequel for any series. A lot of people are also just tired of Splatoon 2 after playing it for years, and putting more stuff in the same game won't do much to change that feeling. A new map in Splatoon 2 at this point would just be another place to have tenta missiles spammed at your team. New modes would obviously help make it a better game, but to a lot of fans the stuff we've seen in the most recent trailer is what has the biggest impact on how the game will actually feel to play.
  • I said this in another comment, but people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they're expecting single-player content in Splatoon to be more than what it was in the first two games. I understand exactly what the comments are asking for, and that's why I said it was the inverse of "forced multiplayer" complaints people have made about other games over the years; to point out that it's an unreasonable expectation. It's okay to want/hope for a good campaign in Splatoon 3, and we should! People thinking that it should be bigger in scope than what past games have given us (even though it would probably eat into resources for the actual focus of the game) are basically asking for a multiplayer game to give just as much attention to the single-player content. If not having good single-player content will put someone off from buying this game (a sentiment I have seen on this forum before), then this probably just isn't a series for that person. That previous sentence is my overall point in bringing up complaints about single-player content, people have to be realistic about what kind of series this is.
  • Raccoon posted about this earlier, but Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 wasn't revealed until three months before launch (it's third appearance iirc). Also, I made the point about how Nintendo markets their games because that is the most likely explanation for why Nintendo has chosen to hold off on showing a ton of the game. The February 2021 direct was the first general direct in nearly a year (over a year if you don't count the mini in March 2020). Nintendo announcing the game so far out from launch communicated that the Switch would still have a future in 2022. The reason we haven't had a big blowout for the game is because Nintendo hasn't started it's full marketing campaign yet, but they still wanted to show something for fans to maintain interest until then. People don't have to care about the context, and it is on Nintendo to make people interested in their games, but history has usually shown with past Nintendo games that people jump the gun with these kinds of complaints. I brought up Kirby as an example of Nintendo waiting until a while after a game's announcement trailer to reveal significant features, but there were also games like Luigi's Mansion 3 (Gooigi, even if he technically first appeared in the 3DS port of 1) and ACNH (crafting + terraforming). I don't think being single-player or multiplayer really applies to this comparison, Nintendo often holds back on revealing a ton about their bigger games regardless of how far out from release the initial announcement is.

Anyway, that's about as much as I'll bother to argue. It's true that some people have been overly defensive to the point of coming across as hostile, but there's absolutely a reason why certain posts are catching flak in the first place. I don't think I came across as aggressive in any of my replies, but I'll also end this by apologizing if anyone reading my comments in this thread took it that way.

There is barely any "definitive" statements. Not everyone is a troll if they don't agree with you. You don't have a right to call them that. If you don't understand the disappointment or criticism, you engage in conversation than throw a label on them.

There is plenty of time for more stuff to be revealed. I'm expecting a dedicated direct some time this summer. But the game has been announced over a year ago. If in all this time they've barely shown anything worth a sequel then I can get any criticism.

And Splatoon 2 was announced 6 months before it released, of course we didn't know much about it early on. It was also the launch year of the Switch, marketing strategy was very different back then because of the position of the system and other things.
First off, I've never called anyone a troll in this thread so I have no idea where you got that from. Second, there are plenty of definitive statements being made; that @Formula Zero post you quoted even says at the end, "Is Nintendo hiding something still ? of course, but just potentially one cool addition to what Splatoon 2 offered is hardly enough, and at this point and after 3 trailers that's the most we can hope for" which is a pretty definitive statement to make about a game we know barely anything about. I understand the disappointment since I too would like some more info along with what we got so far, but I'm not going to call the game "glorified DLC" or "creatively bankrupt" when we are still five months from release.

The timing of when the game was announced matters little, Nintendo announcements range from years in advance to just a few months but what they all have in common is that we barely know anything until we get closer to release. The marketing for Splatoon 3 is following the same trajectory of the previous entries which I understand can be fustrating for those who want to know everything immediately, but that's no reason to jump the gun and label the game as disappointing.

So what makes this game better than 2?
A better campaign, some sort of new addition to Salmon Run that they're keeping secret, and tons of new additions to Turf War to make the game more competitive. That's all we know so far.

So what makes this game better than 2?
Ask again when the game is actually out, maybe.

For all we know it won't. It's a new game, that much is easy to state. If it's gonna be better or not, we'd probably need to compare the actual games once they're out.

What makes Twilight Princess better than Breath of the Wild 2?

I think the first two trailers for this game were great, and though the Salmon Run trailer was overly long (its length really felt because it was in the middle of a Direct, where people know the runtime and are impatient for reveals) it did at least show that 3's version of the mode will be a clear upgrade. Bit of a throwaway trailer, though.

What the first trailer really sold is that the game is going to have a much more distinct identity from the original game than Splatoon 2 did.

Splatoon-3-Announcement-Trailer-Nintendo-Switch-1-15-screenshot.png
EudsSbOU4AQoqLU

Chaos won, those chaos vibes permeate the trailer as it unfurls 3's new setting. The new hub is densely packed and messy (possibly based on Kowloon), and the world around it is a hollowed out wasteland navigated by a protagonist that looks more like a vagabond than a stylish teen. This trailer doesn't sit by itself, either—it's the first bit of new story content in this world since the Octo Expansion, which was by far Splatoon's best single-player content. It's the best on every level: the characters and story, the level design, the works. It feels like the follow-up the Octo Expansion too, and not just because of the train. It looks similarly devoted to its aesthetic premise.

The second trailer was great; snappy and with edits to the beat. It's fun to watch, crammed to the gils with unique snippets, and sells what Splatoon's really grown into since its debut—that medley of weird and slick, Nintendo meeting the culture. Notably, it showed a story mode that appears to include more open, or larger, levels than the strict pattern of Galaxy-style obstacle courses the three prior campaigns used. (It's also interesting that it appears to feature both the chaos and order themes, with two different appearances for the player and environments to suit them.) Clearing out the fuzzy goop by chucking little buddy reminds me of navigating through the malice in BotW, or the Piranha Plant sludge in Sunshine.

That all said, you could fairly argue that the marketing for this game so far has primarily been driven by implication and teasers, and that we're due for a comprehensive breakdown of the new content. It's definitely an odd choice for the release date trailer to be uncut gameplay for the diehards.

Last edited:
That all said, you could fairly argue that the marketing for this game so far has primarily been driven by implication and teasers, and that we're due for a comprehensive breakdown of the new content. It's definitely an odd choice for the release date trailer to be uncut gameplay for the diehards.
It's not a trailer, it's uncut gameplay. And it's not for diehards. The vast, vast majority of Splatoon players are casuals who play mostly Turf War.

As for why they would announce the release date with gameplay instead of a trailer, that's probably because this release date was not what was originally planned.

It's not a trailer, it's uncut gameplay. And it's not for diehards. The vast, vast majority of Splatoon players are casuals who play mostly Turf War.

As for why they would announce the release date with gameplay instead of a trailer, that's probably because this release date was not what was originally planned.
Casuals or not, the last two gameplay snippets (release date gameplay and salmon run trailer) were definitely designed toward people already familiar with the game and mechanics of Splatoon 2, or else the new stuff would mostly go over your head or be indistinguishable from Splatoon 2. If they do a Splatoon 3 direct, that would be the place to ease in newcomers on what Splatoon is and clearly delineate the changes. If you look at the Splatoon 2 direct, it begins with an explanation of Splatoon for those who've had no experience with the series.

Even though I put in roughly 100 hours into Splatoon 2, it's been a while since I've played it, and I stopped before a lot of the later updates added additional weapons and mechanics (though I played the octo-expansion which was fantastic). After watching some analyses of the release date gameplay from actual active players, it's easy see to see how the new specials, the new movement mechanics like the squid roll (which has invincibility frames) , and other aspects are really going to change up the meta compared to Splatoon 2.

Sure, I understand that. I agree that the unplanned release date is likely why this is the new footage that accompanies its reveal, rather than something snazzier that introduces more substantial new content.

I don’t think those casuals Splatoon fans were looking for a confirmation that turf wars is still turf wars, though, or even that turf wars has a few new tools. This was already shown in the first two trailers. I described it as uncut gameplay for diehards because this footage is primarily for the people who want to analyze it to figure out the differences in the mechanics and toolkits. You can swap out “diehards” for “people who are already invested in Splatoon”—the people who can recognize (or are willing to search for) the differences without a guided tour. It’s just not what would usually accompany a release date reveal.

Personally I think plenty of encouraging new elements have been shown so far:

• A cool new settling in the Splatlands and Splatsville
  • The campaign being played with a Salmonid buddy almost Banjo-Kazooie style
  • New moves like the Squid Surge and spin jump enhancing mobility and giving more options on the battlefield
  • New specials like the Zipcaster similarly giving new tactical options
  • Snippets from the single player teaser show bigger and more open areas than 1 and 2 like the icy launch site
  • The new music has a rock vibe that to me is both distinct from and an improvement over the musical style of 2
  • UI, graphics, and overall presentation has been tightened and buffed
  • The tease of what appears to be a kaiju-sized Salmonid in horde mode
  • Throwing eggs in Salmon Run is a significant QoL touch that will change the flow of play
  • A new enemy teased in the "mammalians"

The fact we haven't even seen the new idols yet suggests there is plenty left to be revealed too; as others have pointed out, this is the company that just recently revealed one of the central hooks of Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Mouthful Mode, two months out from release.

It's totally fair to feel that the trailers so far haven't been mind-blowing, or that the series just isn't for you, but it seems to me that there is both plenty of additions shown already, and plenty of time left for further reveals. :)

Last edited:
How does map rotation work in Splatoon 2? If I play at 18:00 every day then I will forever play same two maps?
The maps are randomly selected (with a little bit of developer influence mixed in, but that's not really a big factor anymore with the game mostly out of support) so they're not the same from day to day.

Basically there are three modes, turf war, ranked, and league, and each have a randomly selected pair of maps and (for the latter two) a game mode that rotates out every two hours. During Splatfests, a third, special map was added to the standard turf war rotation that stayed for the duration of the event. After Splatfests ended, they added a Splatfest mode to private lobbies so people could still play on the Splatfest maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom