• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the next add could be Zelda BOTW exp. when BOTW2 announced, plus Fire Emblem 3H exp when next FE announced.
And jolly Smash season pass here and there.
On top of that, like Mario Kart, new exp could be for free for NSO subscriber.

Splatoon just isn't very popular on Famiboards, and that's fine. It's been mentioned on roughly 2,000 occasions compared to Metroid (7,000+). For those who aren't into it, they may have expectations of some new hook that'll get them into the series, and so far they don't see that.
Yeah for a fresh nintendo ip doing so well and being a literal pop culture thing in japan. It's funny to see it less discussed on gaming enthousiast places.
This is just how Nintendo’s multiplayer games work.

MK and Smash are also way more iterative than their big single player stuff is.

Which is why we need a Splatoon spinoff!!
True but since splatoon is big in lore it should try to make the singleplayer a bit more like the octo expansion or close to it. That was the perfect spot for splatoon storymodes imo. If they make that nicely into a full fledged campaign it's good enough to me. The screenshots looked promising atleast.

Expect more in what way though?
I expect a bigger leap in terms of content and gameplay (new modes, new moves, much stronger single player etc. ) for a game developed in 4 years than a game developed in 2 years. Even moreso if the franchise has become increasingly popular, and has an increased budget. It doesn't strike me as an outlandish opinion.
If such new content and gameplay is actually part of the final game, then great, I'll be happy; I never said otherwise.
But I'm only going with what we've seen so far to express a preliminary opinion, not what could be revealed in the future. And what we've seen so far disappoints me.

Splatoon just isn't very popular on Famiboards, and that's fine. It's been mentioned on roughly 2,000 occasions compared to Metroid (7,000+). For those who aren't into it, they may have expectations of some new hook that'll get them into the series, and so far they don't see that.

But I'm very much into Splatoon, I played the first two games more than any other in the past 10 years. Even more reason to be demanding for a game released 5 years after the previous iteration, and with the franchise having exploded in terms of popularity.

Finding the right balance between novelty and faithfulness to the concept is the job of the developers.

And on top of that, I really hope that issues such as gyro latency (compared to the Wii u) will be addressed.

I expect a bigger leap in terms of content and gameplay (new modes, new moves, much stronger single player etc. ) for a game developed in 4 years than a game developed in 2 years. Even moreso if the franchise has become increasingly popular, and has an increased budget. It doesn't strike me as an outlandish opinion.
If such new content and gameplay is actually part of the final game, then great, I'll be happy; I never said otherwise.
But I'm only going with what we've seen so far to express a preliminary opinion, not what could be revealed in the future. And what we've seen so far disappoints me.
Do we know that the game had that long a production cycle though, did it really start straight after the Octo Expansion, or were they also working on other stuff? Isn't it made by EPD Group 5, who made Animal Crossing New Horizons? That would give Splatoon 3 a similar production cycle to 2, and there was the pandemic to take into account as well.

And the gameplay does have new moves; the spin jump and the mounting jump where you shoot up a painted wall and over the top were shown off in the very first trailer, plus there's the new special abilities like the Zipcaster, plus shooting to the map instead of spawning at a fixed base, just from what we've seen so far.

It sounds as though you're expecting the franchise to go full AAA, and for better or worse that's just not really how Nintendo operates. Not every series needs to be a mega-budget extravaganza, sometimes it's okay for a quirky AA series to stay a quirky AA series even after becoming popular.

Last edited:
While Splatoon is handled by EPD 5, there are two different teams for Animal Crossing and Splatoon. It's also the case, with these both being Kyoto gigs, that they'll be drawing from the same pool of central staff for the bulk of development.

All that being said, we really have no idea how long this has been in development. The SOS tease was early 2020, so over 2 years seems a sensible guess; but it's not as if that means over 200 EPD staff have been assigned to this project for that long. Internal development is more flexible than that and there's the very obvious caveat of Covid to contend with when thinking about this development cycle, too.

Expect more in what way though?

It has a new setting, new campaign, new gameplay mechanics, new music, new maps, new weapons, better graphics, and probably more we don't know about yet, not sure what more we can reasonably expect from a game of this nature.

This just isn't the kind of franchise that needs to revolutionize itself constantly, like most successful franchises it has figured out what its audience wants and simply needs to continue to refine and improve that.
There's nothing wrong with a series being evolutionary instead of revolutionary.
Just speaking for myself here, I like Splatoon a lot. I put a great deal of time into the first one and put over 125 hours in Splatoon 2 (which I know is a drop in the bucket for some fans). I don’t necessarily mind this game being quietly new, but I still really want to see something genuinely new for the game also given the massive success of its predecessor and them taking their time with it (a luxury the second game didn’t have). Splatoon 2 gave us Salmon Run over the first game which was huge. We’ve known about this game for well over a year now and we still don’t have one thing to really point to that’s extra exciting that gets the imagination going. I think the Godzilla monster in Salmon Run is the best so far, but it’s likely an infrequent event in that mode (like the spaceship or grillers). I get it’s a tight rope to walk to hold back surprises, but I really want at least one thing more than what’s expected to be here. As a fan, I didn’t really need to see a full game of Turf War to get it’s still Turf War and there will be some new abilities (many of which were in the reveal trailer!).

I do think they are holding something back, so the moment they show a cool new mode I’ll be way more excited for Splatoon 3. I’m personally hoping it will be something that works well with groups of 3 since that number currently is only covered by Salmon Run. (Ranked modes only cover groups of 1, 2, or 4 players) Going by some of their competitors like Halo, Gears, and Uncharted, there’s still plenty of possibilities to explore like a co-op campaign, a battle royale mode, a level creator, reverse Salmon Run etc. so I’m curious what they’ll try.

Personally, for Splatoon, I want them to iterate and improve on what’s there. That’s what I love about the series. At least for Turf War. Don’t fix what is not broken because I’m not good at these types of games but Splatoon was very accesible while still having a high play if you want it. I put in ridiculous hours in the first two games and got damn good at it in a way I could not in a game like Overwatch or other shooters.

Looking at the video it looks they are adding more mobility options and tricks up your sleeve, which is good, but I don’t want them to revamp it so much that it leaves me behind skill wise.

That’s what I don’t get about the iterative complaints. I’m all for that. Continue to iterate and improve without changing what makes the game what it is and keeping it accesible enough for anyone to pick up and play.

Sure they can revolutionize and make something completely different but then it’s not Splatoon. Make a spin off in that case.

People said the same of 2 because it looked the same but that game brought a lot new to the table to elevate the series.

What they need to focus on is just elevating what is there. For example:

For ranked, add some more game types.

The single player mode often gets ignored when it is a shame because it is as creative as other mainstream platforms. Keep at it. Splatoon 1 had a fantastic single player story mode. Splatoon 2’s single player was not as strong as the first one, BUT the Octoexpansion beat the pants of the first one by a mile. Especially how clever it got by switching up the gameplay on the end with the stealth segments. So I hope Splatoon 3 takes the best of Octoexpansion and Splatoon 1 for the story mode.

Salmon Run was a fantastic addition to the series and glad that it is back. Add more to it using the new mobility options.

The hub was always a cool touch. Expand on the hub with some more things to do.

Looks like they added post match medals, which is a nice touch. I like that.

As for friends, they already added that for Splatoon 2. You can do private battles, league battles, or you can form a squad. Yes, for Turf War it is random whether you and your friend will be on the same side, but that is the smart move IMO and have defended that since day 1.

I don’t want to join the casual Turf War mode and be in a group of random people facing off a team of four friends match after match. They will have a strong advantage and that is not fun.

Just my two cents.

e2hola-x0aabfi7copyx6jfa.jpg
Seeing all the box arts together makes me realize how wild it is that we're already at Splatoon 3.
Who would have believed you back in 2014/2015 if you said that by the end of 2022 there would already be two sequels released ? Incredible.

Drawing on the Switch is dang hard, I dunno how people make nice art with it. Here was my attempt that I drew with the Mario Maker Stylus

FRAo9xkVsAAHr81

What are everyone's reaction to the new bow weapon? It looks like the main quirk is that you can arc the shots around corners and behind objects and then they'll explode. The only issue that'll require balancing is how much damage those explosions will do, since it didn't seem like much.

In addition to that special that called in airstrikes, it feels like you'll have a lot less cover in Splatoon 3. Maybe that's why they added that portable shield bubble and the shot vacuum special. You look more powerful in 3.

Why go on basing your opinion on things you already said we don't know are facts?

The vast majority of the development team from Splatoon didn't participate to another game since the octoexapansion expansion. That idea that animal crossing and Splatoon are one and the same team is urban legend.
So if that's an assumption on my side, it's a very very reasonable one.

What are everyone's reaction to the new bow weapon? It looks like the main quirk is that you can arc the shots around corners and behind objects and then they'll explode. The only issue that'll require balancing is how much damage those explosions will do, since it didn't seem like much.

In addition to that special that called in airstrikes, it feels like you'll have a lot less cover in Splatoon 3. Maybe that's why they added that portable shield bubble and the shot vacuum special. You look more powerful in 3.

It seems like a weapon that'll receive a lot of tweaks to damage and explosion delay over the first few patches before it's in the right spot, but as a concept the class is already more intresting to me than Dualies were.

I'm a long range player without the aim to make use of chargers, so the Tri-Stringer's potential to box out or box in enemies immediately appeals to me. And I'll have even less reason to feel bad for getting stomped when I let opponents get close than I have with the Jet Squelcher, because stringers surely are absolutely hopeless up-close.

You talk about the content and the modes but what really makes or breaks this game for me is the netcode and the online modes.

The game being region free, so no more locked gear, and NSO Cloud Save support are already great improvements for me, I hope they improved the rest too (ranking server side, NPLN, more matchmaking options).

I mean...there's a non-zero chance (hell I'd say a very likely chance) that we will be introduced to a new mode about 3-4 weeks before Splatoon launches. This "trailer" was made purposefully for people to compare Turf War, a game mode that has been the "main" game mode in multiplayer in every game, to see how the new changes affect the flow of battle. And in that regard, yes, there are a lot of changes in the flow and action.

Splatoon has sold gangbusters so yeah it absolutely has earned the right to focus on its core fanbase in a trailer. We will get more "This is for people who are on the fence or who are looking for something new" trailers closer to release for impulse buyers.

Edit: Hell, we still need to see where Pearl and Marina are. And the new idol group. Also put Pearlina canon and front and center cowards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds as though you're expecting the franchise to go full AAA, and for better or worse that's just not really how Nintendo operates. Not every series needs to be a mega-budget extravaganza, sometimes it's okay for a quirky AA series to stay a quirky AA series even after becoming popular.
What’s with this unambitious point of view? There is room between going full BotW with its budget and shipping with another very solid but overly familiar single player mode. And Nintendo knows that stuff, there are making sequels for decades now, after cracking the code with SMB 3. The Octoexpansion was what I was looking for and felt very fresh compared to the standard campaign, ending on a marvelous crescendo and a look into what could be. I would be very disappointed, if Splatoon 3 isn’t going further in that direction and we have to wait again for another expansion in the future.

The game is still more than four months away.

I'm not sure what it is with Nintendo games and concern trolling - are we always repeating the same "the information they have revealed thus far is literally the only content that will be in the game" cycle forever?

What’s with this unambitious point of view? There is room between going full BotW with its budget and shipping with another very solid but overly familiar single player mode. And Nintendo knows that stuff, there are making sequels for decades now, after cracking the code with SMB 3. The Octoexpansion was what I was looking for and felt very fresh compared to the standard campaign, ending on a marvelous crescendo and a look into what could be. I would be very disappointed, if Splatoon 3 isn’t going further in that direction and we have to wait again for another expansion in the future.
No one said the single-player shouldn't or won't be expanded. I think most of us expect it will be. Almost all of the drive-by nonsense in the thread is about the core gameplay looking the same, which absolutely deserves the pushback it's getting because it's a ridiculous criticism.

I will no longer engage in the rhetoric that everyone who is dissatisfied with the game is being unfair or doesn't understand Splatoon.

However, two things strike me specifically:
  • unfortunately, the game is now confirmed to be further out than I, and ostensibly many others, initially suspected; we have over four months left
  • regardless of the new date, we really ought to wait until close to launch to make judgments, as this is a Nintendo game

Now, as a pretty big fan of Splatoon, the gameplay they showed looks fantastic. The new base movement options look great, especially the squid surge. Plus, we seem to be getting in-game usernames, based on the Discord-esque four digit numbers on each name card. This was genuinely my most wanted feature, so I'm glad to seemingly be getting it.

Finally, as an irrational physical game enjoyer (ugh, I know), the box art looks fantastic. Most Nintendo Switch games have really done cover art well

Should I bother buying the Octo expansion for Splatoon 2 now and play it? Or is it not worth it now the third is coming in the next few months?
Octo Expansion is the best single player Splatoon content that there is right now. It's definitely worth playing.

Last edited:
I wonder if Order won, we'd be seeing a more electronica slant?
I think so? It's certainly interesting from a development point of view; how far are they willing to go with it?

In 2, the only impact was the single player story, while here it seems like gear, maps and hub all seem dependent on it. Story mode looks more like a mix of the two themes so far with a chaos part and an order part.

I really don't get why people are so keen to shut down any criticism of what has been shown for the past year for this game and accusing others of concern trolling.
Because we've heard the same song and dance before over and over and over and over and usually it is concern trolling, like arguing that this game is a stop gap for a real Splatoon sequel, saying that there are no new gameplay mechanics, etc. None of that is "criticism". And that's not going to the more obvious trolling I've seen outside the forum. It gets tiring and yeah it should get called out.

As for actual legit complaints, sure, the trailers for new people have been lacking since the initial reveal trailer, that's a criticism I understand but at the same time maybe they can show gameplay to those who want it? This is out first time seeing a full match. It actually does showcase a whole bunch of new things such as how dodging has armor, new specials, the new quick movement weapon. This is important for fans because they can see the differences and see why they would want to buy it. I'm like 99% positive we're getting more "oooo look at this" trailers in the future anyways.

I really don't get why people are so keen to shut down any criticism of what has been shown for the past year for this game and accusing others of concern trolling.
Probably because most of the complaints about there being nothing new boil down to:

• Not understanding (or not wanting to acknowledge) how different moves/weapon kits can make a multiplayer game feel drastically different than its predecessor. Multiplayer games are inherently dynamic, and even just a few changes can allow for tons of new interactions in matches. The turf war gameplay showed battles that will allow players to be much more aggressive with the squid roll and powerful specials (compared to the more passive ones in 2 that generally required coordinating with teammates to get much out of). All of these have different properties than specials in past games, and will allow people to come up with new strategies to use/counter them. They also don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a game that feels different than its predecessors, it's okay to create new content that improves the current formula.
  • Wanting a primarily multiplayer game to have some grand single-player adventure. It's okay to want the series to have good single-player content, and there is a lot of potential for campaigns in this series, but it honestly feels like people complaining about this think it should be the focus of the game (basically the inverse of "forced multiplayer" complaints people have made about other games over the years).
  • The same complaints that happen with almost every Nintendo game, showing that a lot of people still haven't learned how Nintendo markets their games. It's true that we still haven't seen any major new modes 5 months out from launch, but this same conversation has been had about so many Nintendo games, and it almost always ends up not being the case that what we've currently seen is all the game has to offer. Someone brought up Kirby earlier in the thread, and that was a game where a major new feature was revealed less than two months before launch.

It's perfectly fine to be disappointed with what has been shown so far, but there's a little too much gamer hyperbole drowning out actual discussion of the game. To an outsider reading this thread, it would probably seem like this series is more divisive than recent Pokémon games.

Happen with every Nintendo game

this game could turn out to be a glorified DLC for Splatoon 2 and people here who are calling every criticism as just trolling/people doesn't know what they're talking about will ignore the conversation even happened

The trailers for this game have been mediocre and signaling that the franchise despite being fresh and unique is already looking creatively bankrupt

Is Nintendo hiding something still ? of course, but just potentially one cool addition to what Splatoon 2 offered is hardly enough, and at this point and after 3 trailers that's the most we can hope for

this game could turn out to be a glorified DLC for Splatoon 2 and people here who are calling every criticism as just trolling/people doesn't know what they're talking about will ignore the conversation even happened

The trailers for this game have been mediocre and signaling that the franchise despite being fresh and unique is already looking creatively bankrupt

Is Nintendo hiding something still ? of course, but just potentially one cool addition to what Splatoon 2 offered is hardly enough, and at this point and after 3 trailers that's the most we can hope for
Creatively bankrupt? Maybe Salmon Run is (seriously it looks pretty much the same wtf Nintendo) but Turf War sure as hell isn't. There's a ton of new stuff in there. Just because that mode isn't super different doesn't mean it's creatively bankrupt lol.

Also, we've barely seen story mode yet. Octo Expansion is supposed to be super cool and unique, and if this campaign is anything like that (which is looking likely) it'll be amazing. It's way too early to judge anything.

I know you're joking, but who's saying creatively bankrupt?

It seems like a weapon that'll receive a lot of tweaks to damage and explosion delay over the first few patches before it's in the right spot, but as a concept the class is already more intresting to me than Dualies were.

I'm a long range player without the aim to make use of chargers, so the Tri-Stringer's potential to box out or box in enemies immediately appeals to me. And I'll have even less reason to feel bad for getting stomped when I let opponents get close than I have with the Jet Squelcher, because stringers surely are absolutely hopeless up-close.
I absolutely suck at the chargers, and so I'd be interested in something with better range. You're right about the tweaks though, they adjusted the weapons/sub-weapons a ton in the first year or so trying to find the right balance (in addition to changes to the stages). Whatever the bow starts as probably won't be the same 6 months in.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of something, but when you start making definitive statements about a game months before it releases and which we know little about then don't be shocked if people call you out. A lot of the "criticism" in this thread reeks of the old "Splatoon 2 is Splatoon 1.5" nonsense.

The game releases in five months, hell we barely knew anything about Splatoon 2 until a few weeks before release. Fuck off with your "Creatively bankrupt" bs.

This thread is an amazing ignore list building help.

They totally swapped XC3 and this, and it's more than fine. Game looks promising, the new specials feel closer to how fun they were in 1 instead of the mildly disappointing ones in 2. New movement options look sick, spiderman squid looks SO MUCH FUN.

Hyped for this.

To be fair, Famiboards started right during the release of a new Metroid game, whereas Splatoon was 4+ years old at the time.

You know what does happen with every Nintendo game?

People over reacting to trailers and then backtracking close to launch when Nintendo show people what the game really has in store.

I'm not sure what it is with Nintendo games and concern trolling - are we always repeating the same "the information they have revealed thus far is literally the only content that will be in the game" cycle forever?
Sorry that some people aren't as excited about the game as you are. It's up to Nintendo to convince them otherwise and so far they haven't done that good of a job of it.

Maybe try to recognize that people here are sincerely lamenting the perceived lack of progression between games. Even if you disagree with them, it's not trolling if they're being sincere, and it is nothing but inflammatory to label it as such.

I do wonder how the single player is shaping up. The announcement trailer + the Mammalians trailer showcase nonusual Splatoon level design. Like the Inkling walking along a building side, the desert area with the upside down tower, the fuzzy environment that you have to remove(?), capture(?), and them not showing much level design outside of that. It's mostly environment shots. Curious

I get the frustration at the ignorance towards the way release cycles work. But I think it's a leap to suggest people are doing it to troll, especially here of all places.

• Wanting a primarily multiplayer game to have some grand single-player adventure. It's okay to want the series to have good single-player content, and there is a lot of potential for campaigns in this series, but it honestly feels like people complaining about this think it should be the focus of the game (basically the inverse of "forced multiplayer" complaints people have made about other games over the years).
Well, I never said it should be the focus. But the fundamentals are so strong and the movement is so enjoyable, that they could carry a more robust single-player campaign with relative ease. We have to wait and see, but I am optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom