• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just observing, and not judging, the fact that this trailer is clearly not attempting to appeal to people who aren't onboard already. While there may well be elements that are new, from an outsiders perspective the view is very much "yes, that's certainly some Splatoon right there". It's a contrast with the Salmon Run trailer, which was very overtly strange and intentionally atmospheric in an eye catching way that is different from the (still very good and stylish) standard Splatoon vibe of this trailer. Again, I am just observing that, not saying this trailer ought to be different than it is.

I feel like I got my Splatoon fill back on the Wii U and haven't really touched Splatoon 2. I blame the shift to more linear maps, though I don't really see much of a reason to pick this one up aside from Splatoon 2 online dying once this releases.

I feel the same way. I've seen so many people say it's just more splatoon and could just be added to 2, but really what do you expect in a splatoon sequel?
  • New Campaign (which looks more expansive from out very brief glance at it)
  • New Maps
  • New Specials
  • New Weapon Types
  • New Aspects of Salmon Run (Super Salmonid + Throwing eggs is going to be a game changer)
  • It's likely there will be some new mode (maybe new ranked mode)
Seems like more than enough to justify a sequel, especially for multiplayer focused games like this.
It's the same with every multiplayer-oriented game, people who aren't into it would rather have something completely different (preferably single-player).

There's literally no new gameplay mechanics here outside of some new weapons, why is this game even a thing?

I don't see the point in this game's existence when it's basically just new map & weapon DLC for Splatoon 2 and that's it. Why not just push this back onto Switch 2? At least then it'd have a reason to exist! As it stands? It looks enormously disappointing, and just a bit of a pointless release when it's basically the same game as Splatoon 2.

It's the same with every multiplayer-oriented game, people who aren't into it would rather have something completely different (preferably single-player).

This explains why we never get "Yeah, but they're not really selling this to people who aren't already into Mario Kart, are they?" posts.

Man even after changing two forums it seems this community just hates Splatoon and will try to make a mountain out of molehill to downplay its success. Can't wait for "look it sold less than Splatoon 2 that means it is a failure of a franchise compared to insert dormant Nintendo franchise here" or "Sure it sold more than Splatoon 2 but insert dormant franchise here that has failed to sell over 5 million copies let alone 10 would have sold more".

Also, make Pearlina canon you cowards!

Man even after changing two forums it seems this community just hates Splatoon and will try to make a mountain out of molehill to downplay its success. Can't wait for "look it sold less than Splatoon 2 that means it is a failure of a franchise compared to insert dormant Nintendo franchise here" or "Sure it sold more than Splatoon 2 but insert dormant franchise here that has failed to sell over 5 million copies let alone 10 would have sold more".
It's crazy to see people complaining about what amounts to "Splatoon 3 is still a Splatoon game"

There's literally no new gameplay mechanics here outside of some new weapons, why is this game even a thing?

I don't see the point in this game's existence when it's basically just new map & weapon DLC for Splatoon 2 and that's it. Why not just push this back onto Switch 2? At least then it'd have a reason to exist! As it stands? It looks enormously disappointing, and just a bit of a pointless release when it's basically the same game as Splatoon 2.
Because Splatoon content is free and Nintendo has to justify the production cost for 20 new maps, new weapons, a new campaign, new gear, new story, probably new modes, etc.

This way we continue to get more Splatoon. It does look pretty samey to me, but I love Splatoon so that's not so bad. Also we get one more chance to fix the online setup.

A few things of notice I'm interested to see confirmed further:

Both the English and Japanese eShop pages seem to be listing near universal language support at the moment, which could imply a single global client this time around. I'm over simplifying for ease, but in previous releases the Japanese release was the sole option to attain some of the exclusive gear. That said, the Japanese eShop page does include it as an option for the voucher program which is nice to see!

Also was interesting to see Cloud Save Data support is implied on both pages, which would be an excellent quality of life improvement for households with multiple consoles or moving around instances to host spectator mode for events.

Curious to see if the pages are updated further now that they are live (especially since it seems like a copy/paste job from a quick comparison), but tentatively bodes well for those aspects.

Quoted by: LiC

Also, make Pearlina canon you cowards!
People always reacting to Splatoon news like:

tumblr_peafqiCwPQ1vrpazoo1_1280.pnj

I could go into Xenoblade threads and complain that XB3 looks the same as the last two to me so I'm not going to buy it. But I don't, because that would be really shitty and stupid.

More of the same Splatoon is hardly a bad thing. Splatoon 2 is loads of fun and I can't wait to dive into the new maps and try the new weapons. And of course we hardly know everything about the game.

A few things of notice I'm interested to see confirmed further:

Both the English and Japanese eShop pages seem to be listing near universal language support at the moment, which could imply a single global client this time around. I'm over simplifying for ease, but in previous releases the Japanese release was the sole option to attain some of the exclusive gear. That said, the Japanese eShop page does include it as an option for the voucher program which is nice to see!

Also was interesting to see Cloud Save Data support is implied on both pages, which would be an excellent quality of life improvement for households with multiple consoles or moving around instances to host spectator mode for events.

Curious to see if the pages are updated further now that they are live (especially since it seems like a copy/paste job from a quick comparison), but tentatively bodes well for those aspects.
Not sure what you mean by copy and paste job. The supported features sections of the eShop pages are of course templated. If it says Save Data Cloud is supported (which it does, it's not "implied"), then it's supported.

People moan whenever a sequel to a multiplayer orientated game gets released. At the same time people moan when a multiplayer game gets DLC instead of a brand new release.

Conclusion: People moan...a lot.

How many maps is this game going to have at launch? I remember the first two games launched with like 6 and I waited for a while before picking them up.

While I perfectly understood while Splatoon 2 felt a bit incremental given the release timing, I'm a tad disappointed by what we've seen from Splatoon 3 so far. I hope that the single player mode is really good, because it doesn't look like 5 years worth so far (or 4 if you count the octoexpansion as a new game).

But you can't do that because that's a complete lie.
Thanks for informing me that my opinion is a "lie." Based on your reaction, I take it you think this kind of drive-by not-for-me posting is only an issue when it's a game you already like, evidently like Xenoblade, but totally justified if it's Splatoon.

Not sure what you mean by copy and paste job. The supported features sections of the eShop pages are of course templated. If it says Save Data Cloud is supported (which it does, it's not "implied"), then it's supported.
No need to read into it more than I'm being cautious about my phrasing despite being hopeful that the things I'm posting remain accurate. Because of my experiences with multi-platform shop pages from different regions getting launched with near identical content and adjusted after the fact, I didn't want my hopeful speculation being taken as confirmed fact until the dust has settled. Especially with people in communities such as these sometimes being in too much of a hurry to jump to conclusions.

Quoted by: LiC
I'll definitely play Splatoon 3, but I wouldn't mind having more exciting trailers to look at, the reveal and mammalians trailers were cool, but Salmon Run and Turf War could do with some more editing, make it more hype idk.

So it is releasing in September. I doubt Nintendo will leave August completely empty in terms of first-party releases as they could have just put XC3 in that slot, so I wonder what will be there instead.

I'll definitely play Splatoon 3, but I wouldn't mind having more exciting trailers to look at, the reveal and mammalians trailers were cool, but Salmon Run and Turf War could do with some more editing, make it more hype idk.
To be fair, I don't think this video was really meant as a trailer, and more of a gameplay showcase

No need to read into it more than I'm being cautious about my phrasing despite being hopeful that the things I'm posting remain accurate. Because of my experiences with multi-platform shop pages from different regions getting launched with near identical content and adjusted after the fact, I didn't want my hopeful speculation being taken as confirmed fact until the dust has settled. Especially with people in communities such as these sometimes being in too much of a hurry to jump to conclusions.
Maybe that's true of the language support, but the supported features/NSO features are the same between regions, so the Save Data Cloud part isn't in doubt.

Today's video isn't a trailer, it's just straight gameplay footage of a match, so there's no editing to speak of. The Salmon Run thing was similar, although it was a little more like a trailer with some labels and inserts. There's nothing wrong with just showing the game as it is. Having a mix of direct gameplay and curated trailer footage is a good thing, and as you note, there has been exactly that so far.

So it is releasing in September. I doubt Nintendo will leave August completely empty in terms of first-party releases as they could have just put XC3 in that slot, so I wonder what will be there instead.

Legend of Zelda: Oracles remake? Kirby Dream Collection? Mario + Rabbids???

Xenoblade 3 isn't a shift to a different genre like you want Splatoon to make, so calling it more of the same is about as much a lie as

There's literally no new gameplay mechanics here outside of some new weapons

which is really only productive as another reminder that using literally is factually dangerous when you don't know what you're talking about, folks.

Nintendo Fans on Splatoon 3: What's the point of this? it's the same game over again.
Nintendo Fans on Xenoblade 3: OMG IS THAT TERRITORIAL ROTBART?!

There are so many things we don't know about the game and people are already complaining that a sequel to a multiplayer game still is the same multiplayer game, just with some new cool stuff? Guys, this isn't a new big ass single player game that comes out evrey 5 years or so.
Just look at other multiplayer games out there or heck a lot of sequels and how small changes they offer, but most of em are still well received and
fans of these games like it to have more.

Heck, I would be super happy if we would get a new F-Zero with just a bit more and better. A god damn online Multiplayer would be reason enough for me.
And with a multiplayer game, maybe the reason they switched to a new entry and didn't support the old game is because of technical reasons. Look for example how bloated the size of CoD is and that they have to switch engines to fix that. Who knows what problems they had with Splatoon 2.

So let us just relax and wait for more infos and proper review, kay?

Thanks for informing me that my opinion is a "lie." Based on your reaction, I take it you think this kind of drive-by not-for-me posting is only an issue when it's a game you already like, evidently like Xenoblade, but totally justified if it's Splatoon.
XC3 has different characters, different world and even different artstyle.

Splatoon 3 just looks like Splatoon 2 so far. That's pretty much a common complaint that has been happening in this thread. Is not matter of liking or not liking the franchise. Things might change in future trailers but you can't blame others for feeling that this seems like a reiterative sequel right now.

Actually, I think LiC had a good point. If you played the other two games; then the Xenoblade 3 trailers are full of new characters and voices talking about new concepts over shots of new landscapes. But if you aren't familiar with the other games in any detail, then it's a montage of anime nonsense and sweeping landscapes that theoretically could be from any Xenoblade.

It actually does work the same was as this Splatoon trailer, in that both depend to an extent on the expertise of the audience to decode what is new information from the familiar aesthetics. I do think that identifying a new character in Xenoblade is easier than identifying a new special move in Splatoon; but I don't know if that's really true or just a consequence of the biases with which I view the trailers

Not impressed. Its splatoon alright, but more like the definitive edition of splat 2. Why are those trailers so bad? When i saw the return of the mammals one i was excited! This? This doesnt gives me any hype whatsoever.

I like the boxart at least.

Also as someone who never played a xenoblade game for more than 1h i dont like the comparison. Splat 3 looking at what they showed so far feels like a small iteration of 2, while xeno 3 may look somewhat similar to past games visually, the trailers already did their jobs at showing how that world is going to be packed full of new things.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I was never on the July release like most were(before XC3 date change). Although I did think it could slip into early October lmao. It's good to finally have a release date though.

Actually, I think LiC had a good point. If you played the other two games; then the Xenoblade 3 trailers are full of new characters and voices talking about new concepts over shots of new landscapes. But if you aren't familiar with the other games in any detail, then it's a montage of anime nonsense and sweeping landscapes that theoretically could be from any Xenoblade.

It actually does work the same was as this Splatoon trailer, in that both depend to an extent on the expertise of the audience to decode what is new information from the familiar aesthetics. I do think that identifying a new character in Xenoblade is easier than identifying a new special move I'm Splatoon; but I don't know if that's really true or just a consequence of the biases with which I view the trailers
Thank you. Also, it's not just hypothetical; people do post those kinds of complaints about Xenoblade, and it's obvious they don't play the series and never will. So it's the same problem and it's just really funny to see somebody get offended when I raise the specter of those complaints, even as they try to justify the exact same thing happening in this thread.

Not impressed. Its splatoon alright, but more like the definitive edition of splat 2. Why are those trailers so bad? When i saw the return of the mammals one i was excited! This? This doesnt gives me any hype whatsoever.

I like the boxart at least.
It's not a trailer.

XC3 has different characters, different world and even different artstyle.

Splatoon 3 just looks like Splatoon 2 so far. That's pretty much a common complaint that has been happening in this thread. Is not matter of liking or not liking the franchise. Things might change in future trailers but you can't blame others for feeling that this seems like a reiterative sequel right now.
Yeah, but does XC3 have new multiplayer maps? I don't think so!

Thank you. Also, it's not just hypothetical; people do post those kinds of complaints about Xenoblade, and it's obvious they don't play the series and never will. So it's the same problem and it's just really funny to see somebody get offended when I raise the specter of those complaints, even as they try to justify the exact same thing happening in this thread.

It's not a trailer.
Certainly the last ones werent too.

Splatoon 3 : exists
Nintendo fans : huh it's a simple DLC new maps new weapons new campaign new modes new hub isn't good enough to ask for a full price release
Smash Bros Ultimate : exists
Nintendo Fans : OMGGGGG WE GOING BANANAAAAS

Like come on now lol

"Everybody is here" is literally another way of saying "All of the same", too!!

Splatoon 3 : exists
Nintendo fans : huh it's a simple DLC new maps new weapons new campaign new modes new hub isn't good enough to ask for a full price release
Smash Bros Ultimate : exists
Nintendo Fans : OMGGGGG WE GOING BANANAAAAS

Like come on now lol
Wow it's like one was marketed as an 'Ultimate' edition where the creator promised the amount of new characters wouldn't be as large in comparison to a direct sequel game with a numbered title

If there were any major new modes or gameplay mechanics inherent to Splatoon 3? They would've shown them by now.

It's safe to say at this point that we're getting exactly what Nintendo are advertising. A glorified DLC pack for Splatoon 2. Anything else is just very wishful thinking.

This leaves October/November/December and possibly the fall side of September for undated/unannounced Nintendo releases.

We know Pokemon is pretty much guaranteed for November, but yea the calendar is wide open in the 4th Q otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom