• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Splatoon 2 we had a weapon every week at the start, and then 4 weapons every month later on. Are we gonna get 12 weapons every season now? :p
Maybe, but with most of those weapons probably just being old weapons with a new special/sub weapon loadout, that's not very exciting to me. Maps are what matter in my eyes, and we've seen no indication yet of a consistent roll-out of those. Having a pitiful 5 new maps at launch doesn't really generate much hope either, really.

I wonder when the first weapon rollouts would be. I have a feeling that there will be new weapons in October, probably after 8th of October when they had the Nintendo event since there will be a Splatoon 3 tournament there.

Thank you for reading.

I was thinking about what kind of different Ranking Modes could be made

Would a "first team to get x amount of splats" type of rank mode fit in Splatoon? Or is that too CoD like? xD

I feel like that could create even more high IQ plays, since it stops people from mindlessly charging in since splatting is the main objective.

The current rank modes prioritize a certain mission so even if you don't focus much on splats you can win the match if you clear the objective.

I was thinking about what kind of different Ranking Modes could be made

Would a "first team to get x amount of splats" type of rank mode fit in Splatoon? Or is that too CoD like? xD

I feel like that could create even more high IQ plays, since it stops people from mindlessly charging in since splatting is the main objective.

The current rank modes prioritize a certain mission so even if you don't focus much on splats you can win the match if you clear the objective.
Even a deathmatch mode would need some kind of proper objective to prevent people from just sitting there, sharking or playing defensive because that's how you get a positive K/D in a game with such fast kill times

Even a deathmatch mode would need some kind of proper objective to prevent people from just sitting there, sharking or playing defensive because that's how you get a positive K/D in a game with such fast kill times
CoD discourages overly-defensive play with spawn changes (as in, if the other team pushes, they could literally start spawning behind you), UAVs, etc; but since Splatoon doesn't have changing spawns or killstreaks, I think a simple "stay in one place for 10 seconds and you appear on the map," mechanic would go a long way to prevent overly-defensive gameplay in a Team Deathmatch game mode. That and having a time limit on top of a kill limit, and encouraging getting kills by granting XP for each one.

CoD discourages overly-defensive play with spawn changes (as in, if the other team pushes, they could literally start spawning behind you), UAVs, etc; but since Splatoon doesn't have changing spawns or killstreaks, I think a simple "stay in one place for 10 seconds and you appear on the map," mechanic would go a long way to prevent overly-defensive gameplay in a Team Deathmatch game mode. That and having a time limit on top of a kill limit, and encouraging getting kills by granting XP for each one.
I was thinking maybe there could be some kind of objective, but getting kills directly contributes to it. Maybe it could be like the kill confirmed/headhunter mode from other shooters, where killing someone drops an object akin to the signal in tricolor splatfest, that you can take and try to capture to score points? While also being able to capture your own team's to deny the enemy from getting it

I was thinking maybe there could be some kind of objective, but getting kills directly contributes to it. Maybe it could be like the kill confirmed/headhunter mode from other shooters, where killing someone drops an object akin to the signal in tricolor splatfest, that you can take and try to capture to score points? While also being able to capture your own team's to deny the enemy from getting it
Oh yeah, Kill Confirmed would be a great addition to Splatoon. I think simply copying it would work just fine; the small maps and fast movement in Splatoon games would encourage people to try and collect their enemy's drops when they get a kill.

I hope it's just me being unlucky, but I think I've been killed way more often than usual with Ultra Stamp. Might be even more vulnerable than in S2 but need confirmation
Well....................

They didn't fix Missiles' design, and they made Stamp even less functional. How can you get almost everything right in your sequel but then do this

The splatfest test made me repurchase Splat 2 to fill the void until 3, lmao.
??? You mean the design or how in performs? Because it doesn't look like it performs all that different compared to Splatoon 2.

I think performance. It looks like it takes more hits/longer to k.o. a target with the stamp I’m 3 than it did in 2, and you have to be right up on them as well.

Maybe, but with most of those weapons probably just being old weapons with a new special/sub weapon loadout, that's not very exciting to me. Maps are what matter in my eyes, and we've seen no indication yet of a consistent roll-out of those. Having a pitiful 5 new maps at launch doesn't really generate much hope either, really.
Map updates will most likely be monthly like in Splatoon 2.

I hope they give a rundown of the Table TurfWar rules before launch. I still don't quite understand the mechanics of that game.

Aren't those new stages near the end? At the 6:30 mark.

The first one is Flounder Heights which is from Splatoon 1, the desert one is new though. They showed pictures of these stages during the Direct, but this is the first footage I guess.

How many squid rolls did you guys and gals manage to do in a row? I could never get past 5, except for one occasion. Is 7 the max?

Dodge rolling in the air with any dualies sends you nearly straight down! It's very useful in certain situations
I see. Very advantageous that weapon class :p

YES they've changed the clam sound effect that felt like an absolute nightmare whenever the enemy put like 20 clams in a row in my team's basket

Telling you, either someone on the Dev team is an absolute GOD with the Stamp or the Dev team is absolute SHIT at combating it

It's the only reason they can be so scared of it that it was terrible in 2 and made even weaker in 3

I usually detest questions of this kind BUT

As an ex-cynic and fan in the making (ever since I played the demo on Saturday) – will this game be a justified day-one purch.? As in, is this a game you pay 60€ for and feel like you got your money’s worth?

As an ex-cynic and fan in the making (ever since I played the demo on Saturday) – will this game be a justified day-one purch.? As in, is this a game you pay 60€ for and feel like you got your money’s worth?

From the sound of it, you haven't played much of the series before, in which case, yes 100%
If you've already put quite a lot of hours into Splatoon 2 though and came out thinking it wasn't that great, then it's a toss-up

I'd say definitely, and I've been very critical of the game's lack of meaningful new content. The core gameplay is genuinely better than ever, and this is going to be the most supported and, probably, most active game of the series. What's leading people to doubt its worth is how it looks when viewed through the lens of someone with substantial experience with the series.

For instance, the game comes with 12 maps. That, by itself, is a really very decent number for a new shooter at launch (Halo: Infinite came with just over half that IIRC). However, only 5 of those 12 maps are actually new, so those who haven't played the series before are going to have a disproportionately new experience compared to those who have.

From the sound of it, you haven't played much of the series before, in which case, yes 100%
If you've already put quite a lot of hours into Splatoon 2 though and came out thinking it wasn't that great, then it's a toss-up
The Splatfest on Saturday was my first experience with the series so that’s nice to hear:)
I'd say definitely, and I've been very critical of the game's lack of meaningful new content. The core gameplay is genuinely better than ever, and this is going to be the most supported and, probably, most active game of the series. What's leading people to doubt its worth is how it looks when viewed through the lens of someone with substantial experience with the series.

For instance, the game comes with 12 maps. That, by itself, is a really very decent number for a new shooter at launch (Halo: Infinite came with just over half that IIRC). However, only 5 of those 12 maps are actually new, so those who haven't played the series before are going to have a disproportionately new experience compared to those who have.
Thank youuu!

Yikes @ the Ultra Stamp nerf/hit detection.

I also found the Killer Wail 5.1 extremely underwhelming. Even the original Killer Wail was better, let alone the Stingray.

Did not have a chance to try the missiles. Is it true that they buffed them?

Did not have a chance to try the missiles. Is it true that they buffed them?

From what we know in the demo, they changed them. They don't track nearly as well, and basically land in the same spot you were when they targeted you.
This spreads them out less, but also displaces you for longer.

I would wager they'd still been working on them though, as the demo was compiled late July (from what I heard?) and none of the weapons in the demo had missiles.

Do we know how the lobby music works? I noticed when standing in the lobby before the splatfest it would change to a different song at the hour, but only 9 songs were found in the files, so it can't be a different song for every hour.

Do we know how the lobby music works? I noticed when standing in the lobby before the splatfest it would change to a different song at the hour, but only 9 songs were found in the files, so it can't be a different song for every hour.
I believe they're going to include songs from Splatoon 1 at least on certain map rotations, which is super cool! I heard Ink or Sink prior to the splatfest actually starting last week:

It seems like it depends on what's going on.

For normal times my guess is that the "default" song alternates with the 9 other songs and with old battle music, with the default song changing depending on whether it's a weekday or a weekend. So at any particular time as you're battling you'll have something like a 1/3rd chance of hearing the "default song", a 1/3rd chance of hearing one of the 9 other lobby songs, and a 1/3rd chance of hearing one of a small selection of non-Splatoon 3 battle songs. The first song will probably be determined by the rotation and from there it will just pick randomly.

From the testfire we know that during splatfests it's just 1 song, with first half/second half variants. (Which seems like a downgrade compared to the normal one)

So that large scale DLC is 100% gonna be included with NSO expansion right?
Solid maybe. Featuring a multiplayer focused game gives it a fair shot, even if the DLC itself isn't.
Ohhh that's the one stage I was missing from 2. I was like "they picked wahoo to come back but not the reef?"
The Reef is 2's Urchin Underpass, so I wasn't too surprised. But it's a fine stage to have back regardless.

I want to know how the lobby will work when waiting for Salmon Run, if it's the same or what
I believe it works the same, as salmon run has its own lobby (shown in the official report on the website)

unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom