• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I'm feeling like "adult coloring book time" I'm going to paint the main lobby shooting range, the Ammo Knights shooting range AND the Salmon Run shooting range.

I usually detest questions of this kind BUT

As an ex-cynic and fan in the making (ever since I played the demo on Saturday) – will this game be a justified day-one purch.? As in, is this a game you pay 60€ for and feel like you got your money’s worth?
I feel like the answer will depend on what you value in games. If you love online multiplayer and have a group of ppl who are also getting the game, then absolutely. In between the different modes, there's so much fun to be had.

If you played a lot of 1 and 2, I still think it's worth it based on the design improvements. I spent the entirety of the Splatfest trying to figure out the best uses for the new squid dodge, which adds a whole new dimension to movement/combat.

If you mostly enjoy single player content though ymmv. Splatoon is fundamentally about the multiplayer and so if you're expecting the campaign to sell you on the game, I think you should wait until reviews.

I know I've ragged on at this game for its lack of new content and such...

...but, god damn, compared to Halo: Infinite this game is gonna be absolutely chock-full of content lol

I know I've ragged on at this game for its lack of new content and such...

...but, god damn, compared to Halo: Infinite this game is gonna be absolutely chock-full of content lol
Halo Infinite almost 1 year after launch

12 maps, divided between "regular maps", and Big Team Battle
3 main modes and "big team battle"
22 weapons
A paltry amount of actually pretty aesthetics
An unfinished single player mode with very little anesthetic difference, and even then you have to pay an exorbitant price to get
No PvE mode.
No side modes of any sort.
Special events are just the regular game but for "special" aesthetics.
No real road map for future content.

Splatoon 3 at Launch
12 Maps, all of which can played in any mode, with considerable changes to each map depending on mode. We are also probably going to get at the very least, one new map every 3 months.
5 main modes, turf war, splatzones, clam blitz, rainmaker, and tower control
1 special new mode, tricolor turf wars for splatfest
26+ confirmed unique weapons(this will probably be around 50+ different weapons) this isn't including variants with different subs and specials too.
A huge amount of aesthetics including fun clothing options, emotes, hair styles, eye color, tag options, and locker customization.
A PvE mode with at least 3+ maps(salmon run) .
2 different type of special events with Splatfests and Big Salmon Run that actually change up the game significantly
A single player mode that will at least be finished and ties up a story even if it's mildly average.
A card game side mode that goes along with the regular game.
Actual tangible promises for content coming for the next 2 years.

Man, I can't believe I got caught up in the hype for halo. I asked for a series s for Christmas and my wife got it for me. At least it was well worth the purchase for Gamepass and playing a great version of Elden Ring. Halo was a real disappointment.

When do pre downloads go live again? Is it tonight or tomorrow night?
A week before launch.
Halo Infinite almost 1 year after launch

12 maps, divided between "regular maps", and Big Team Battle
3 main modes and "big team battle"
22 weapons
A paltry amount of actually pretty aesthetics
An unfinished single player mode with very little anesthetic difference, and even then you have to pay an exorbitant price to get
No PvE mode.
No side modes of any sort.
Special events are just the regular game but for "special" aesthetics.
No real road map for future content.

Splatoon 3 at Launch
12 Maps, all of which can played in any mode, with considerable changes to each map depending on mode. We are also probably going to get at the very least, one new map every 3 months.
5 main modes, turf war, splatzones, clam blitz, rainmaker, and tower control
1 special new mode, tricolor turf wars for splatfest
26+ confirmed unique weapons(this will probably be around 50+ different weapons) this isn't including variants with different subs and specials too.
A huge amount of aesthetics including fun clothing options, emotes, hair styles, eye color, tag options, and locker customization.
A PvE mode with at least 3+ maps(salmon run) .
2 different type of special events with Splatfests and Big Salmon Run that actually change up the game significantly
A single player mode that will at least be finished and ties up a story even if it's mildly average.
A card game side mode that goes along with the regular game.
Actual tangible promises for content coming for the next 2 years.

Man, I can't believe I got caught up in the hype for halo. I asked for a series s for Christmas and my wife got it for me. At least it was well worth the purchase for Gamepass and playing a great version of Elden Ring. Halo was a real disappointment.
New map updates are not necessarily part of the three month schedule that the catalog/weapon stuff is. At least in the marketing they haven't intentionally grouped them together like they did with the weapon updates.

New map updates are not necessarily part of the three month schedule that the catalog/weapon stuff is. At least in the marketing they haven't intentionally grouped them together like they did with the weapon updates.
Even better, since Splatoon 2 had a map about every month or so for the first year and a half :) I'm not expecting to get them at that rate here, but it'll be more than one map every 3 months for sure

A week before launch.

Yes, but that is why I said, "at least"

In Splatoon 2, we pretty much got a new map every single month. There is no reason to assume they wouldn't be able to hit at last 1 map per 3 months. It could be a lot more than that. It could be a new map every month like in Splatoon 2. But it's really clear that the Splatoon team can hit out a lot more content than 343.

Yes, but that is why I said, "at least"

In Splatoon 2, we pretty much got a new map every single month. There is no reason to assume they wouldn't be able to hit at last 1 map per 3 months. It could be a lot more than that. It could be a new map every month like in Splatoon 2. But it's really clear that the Splatoon team can hit out a lot more content than 343.

Yeah, looking at some wikipedia stuff, in Splatoon 2 they added seven maps (some new, some returning) in the first six months. Hopefully they can keep maintain similar pacing with this game.

(more details in the thread)

I was hoping for a little more extras :p

I was worried it would be too much. But this seems pretty perfect.

Part of the fun of a new game is unlocking everything, playing against lower level players, and doing all of that. I am a fan of this.

Maybe putting x players in s+ would have been a good idea.
If you reach that you can solo win even up until s+, there's gonna be some steamroll going on for new players...

I’m probably late on this, but I have some shitty news for Splatoon fans

l8ouwyyzy8l91.png

ilpdaiazy8l91.png

(more details in the thread)

I was hoping for a little more extras :p

I'm guessing their goal with the rank transfer wasn't to bring everyone back up to speed, but to keep Splatoon 2 players out of very beginner lobbies. I can understand that.

Hard to believe that at this time next week I'll be playing Splatoon 3 with my nephew! Managed to convince my brother to buy us each a copy, so I got that money saved for another game, woo!

Hard to believe that at this time next week I'll be playing Splatoon 3 with my nephew! Managed to convince my brother to buy us each a copy, so I got that money saved for another game, woo!
YEAAA at this time next week I'll be in the process of pulling an all nighter while playing lmao

YEAAA at this time next week I'll be in the process of pulling an all nighter while playing lmao
We gotta wait for our copies to arrive from Amazon in the morning. But I will be staying up a bit and watch some early reactions from Japanese players. I hope chokopero streams this game; he did say 3 seems too hard.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one, but I really like Splatoon single player.

I see people shit on Hero Mode a lot, but for me their tight, streamlined level design, quirky charm, awesome boss fights and buttery smooth gameplay is every bit up the usual high standards I expect of an EPD game.

I played the heck out of both 1 and 2's campaigns and can't wait to play the heck out of 3. Small Fry seems like a cool addition and what they've shown so far looks like great fun.

Hopefully my hand situation can improve so I can enjoy this soon. Hopefully my doctor trip tomorrow will tell me more.

The disappointing halo infinite news left me anticipating this more as I was able to finally play a Splatoon game’s online on my wifi and I liked what I played from the splatfest. It felt fresh. While it is the third game, it is my first real time playing the multiplayer and it felt like a new experience for me. Halo infinite, despite being a big halo fan, has disappointed with its handling of its live service and content and I’ve been looking for other online games to play and this looks to be that game.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one, but I really like Splatoon single player.

I see people shit on Hero Mode a lot, but for me their tight, streamlined level design, quirky charm, awesome boss fights and buttery smooth gameplay is every bit up the usual high standards I expect of an EPD game.

I played the heck out of both 1 and 2's campaigns and can't wait to play the heck out of 3. Small Fry seems like a cool addition and what they've shown so far looks like great fun.
I totally agree. They're not the meatiest campaigns or contain the challenge of Octo-expansion, but they still have top notch level design and are a joy to play through.

Just got an email confirming my purchase, the icon started downloading just now!

SOON 🥹

Last edited:
As expected, Salmon Run got lots of new customisation and a training room too. I quite like it. I wonder how they do the weapons this time around? Same as 2?
One week until release, new profile pic time

EDIT: game just started downloading too LETS GO
Cute profile pic!

just played some Salmon matches and it undoubtedly still remains my favourite mode. Can't wait to play it in 3. All aboard the Splatoon 3 hype train!

We’ve known this for a while now right? Why are folks acting like it’s new news lol

EDIT: based Jon once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom