• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

I'm just gonna say it. The walk 1000 steps in lets go mode to evolve certain Pokemon sucks lmao. Especially if they are small and can't keep up. I now have an overpowered dog because I thought I did the 1000 steps when I haven't. And now my game is at a standstill as I hyper focus on getting to 1000 steps.

Looks like you can group breed in picnics, I got an egg of one of my wife's Pokemon.
That's interesting. If you have multiple compatible pairs (either solo or in co-op), can the eggs just come from any compatible pair?

That's interesting. If you have multiple compatible pairs (either solo or in co-op), can the eggs just come from any compatible pair?
It looks like it, I could only bring my first Pokemon to her picnic, and she had a ditto and her starter in the party because she was going to trade me one.

We both ended up getting eggs of her starter and my pokemon lol.

This is absolutely the first time I have ever rotated Pokemon in and out, and it's a joy to do so, since it's easy to level up anyone you haven't used in a while with Let's Go mode. Two gyms down, and one Titan Pokemon down as well, onto the next one!

I want to get this game every time I watch gameplay and see pokemkn, but then the slowdown and glitches pop up, and I just don't think I can stomach that.

Thanks to the power of spamming surprise trade, I now have a Japanese Fuecoco and Quaxly, and an extra Sprigatito

I'm now debating whether I actually want to use the other two starters, since that kinda feels unfair and also I can't read their names. But on the other hand, I feel like Wiglett is not going to cut it for a Water type

I'm really enjoying Violet, I like exploring every corner and the story seems nice, but I must admit that having an open world and freedom is the only thing that makes it "good" and interesting to me. If there are more Pokémon games planned for the Switch, I hope they are 2D HD.

The next 3D Pokémon game should wait until they are ready to really make a difference, probably with the next gen Nintendo console (I know the Switch itself is not the problem, but it may be the perfect excuse to wait a few years until the next 3D game).
It's time to have fully orchestrated music (Shinji Miyazaki is the LEGEND who orchestrates the music for the TV show based on the music of the games and should be part of the music team, please let's have the same level of music production in the main games), high quality sound FX, voice acting (PLEASE!!), obviously decent technical perfomance and graphics, and not taking steps back from their most innovative game, Arceus (which wasn't perfect either, but eliminating player's health, jumping, crafting, quest list and pokeball throwing is a HUGE step back).
I think this won't happen utill they split the saga into 2D HD (for classic game mechanics) and 3D (for modern games) with separates dev teams, but until then 3D games won't be proper modern games.

So now, after this little rant, can't wait to play more SV lol

I want to get this game every time I watch gameplay and see pokemkn, but then the slowdown and glitches pop up, and I just don't think I can stomach that.
If you're on the fence, it may be worth waiting to see if anything gets patched, though I imagine the garbage performance probably isn't going anywhere (something appears to be degrading performance over time as you play, and if you close and restart the game it's better, but it's still not great).

The game itself is super fun and would be an easy 9/10 for me if not for the technical issues, but I'm not going to blame anyone for passing on the games because of them. You might not see anything as extreme as the stuff that is popping up on Twitter and the like, but the slowdown is a universal problem and the game just suffers with a whole host of visual glitches and lack of polish that I come across fairly regularly. Ultimately, it's a matter of how sensitive you are to these issues, or how much you're willing to tolerate them.

If you're on the fence, it may be worth waiting to see if anything gets patched, though I imagine the garbage performance probably isn't going anywhere (something appears to be degrading performance over time as you play, and if you close and restart the game it's better, but it's still not great).

The game itself is super fun and would be an easy 9/10 for me if not for the technical issues, but I'm not going to blame anyone for passing on the games because of them. You might not see anything as extreme as the stuff that is popping up on Twitter and the like, but the slowdown is a universal problem and the game just suffers with a whole host of visual glitches and lack of polish that I come across fairly regularly. Ultimately, it's a matter of how sensitive you are to these issues, or how much you're willing to tolerate them.
Funny story!

Got home from work and wife surprised me with the game, so guess I have it now haha

I'm just gonna say it. The walk 1000 steps in lets go mode to evolve certain Pokemon sucks lmao. Especially if they are small and can't keep up. I now have an overpowered dog because I thought I did the 1000 steps when I haven't. And now my game is at a standstill as I hyper focus on getting to 1000 steps.
I thought it sucked as well but you can just run around in a circle for a couple minutes and it works.

Damn wtf, which Pokémon evolve like this?

So, I’m enjoying playing through this but the world isn’t the most interesting to explore? Every time I ventured off the beaten path all I find are poke balls/TM’s and just Pokémon wandering. No side quests or lore at all, it’s quite disappointing and I think I’ll just continue focusing on completing the 3 sets of objectives.

Gonna finish up this file, transfer it to my other switch then do the same thing all over again once DLC drops.

I sound like a broken record, but despite the lack of polish, this game is the most fun I've had we with Pokemon since Arceus, and before that Crystal

Finally got time to play some more of Scarlet. One thing I appreciate in this game so far is the dynamic soundtrack. How the town themes flow into the routes. How the academy has different versions of the songs for different locations. Such a great detail.

I love how the Pokemon interact. It does show how much love the devs put into the Pokemon and makes it even more frustrating how poorly the game runs. Just seems like it's wasting the talent.

I thought it sucked as well but you can just run around in a circle for a couple minutes and it works.
I thought that would too. I think I needed to walk in a circle for about 20-25 minutes in total. Not exactly fun.
There are two others that evolve from 1000 steps as well, maybe more?
Rellor and Bramblin.
How dare you tell me this?! Horrible news lol.

I love how the Pokemon interact. It does show how much love the devs put into the Pokemon and makes it even more frustrating how poorly the game runs. Just seems like it's wasting the talent.

I thought that would too. I think I needed to walk in a circle for about 20-25 minutes in total. Not exactly fun.

How dare you tell me this?! Horrible news lol.
Bramblin went by pretty quick, I think they're faster so I could actually get more things done. That said, I know it's evolution spawns in the wild.

Rellor took forever, it's very small and very slow. Haven't seen it's evolution in the wild yet.

I'm taking the classes at Naranja Academy before I play the full game. Yeah, it's basic tutorial stuff, but the school set up and the fun personalities of the teachers make the presentation very enjoyable. I'm about to become the ace student of the academy!

Took the finals 😱

You get some great stuff from these teacher social links lol, also some good potential plot hooks for DLC.

Do it in a circle, I did it easily

Water starters won the Splatfest, but they get trolled by this game.

Placing the Fire-type Team Star so close it seems like a great start for that path. You got a water STAB, after all. And the phase before the boss is easy enough to fill you with confidence. Then the first pokemon she sends out immediately sets the sun and cuts water damage in half. Plus Torkoal is decently tanky, too. I felt the phantom pain upon terastallizing of not being able to click Max Geyser for rain.

Had to fall back on stalling and switching and intimidate-cycling to get through the five turns of Drought. Afterwards there wasn't enough left of my team to put up a fight against the second enemy. Next time, I'm bringing Rock and Ground attacks.

Some of these glitches are cracking me up, especially the ones that deform the bodies

I never thought about how good multiplayer could be, until today where I just relied on a friend to find my way to a gym I just couldn't reach. We still got lost together but it was way more fun than going at it alone LMAO.

In other good news my Spriggy reached it's final form and I love him so much!!!

Who injected the Tauros with Alpha pokemon anger lol. I was simply taking a break in the middle of the road and from the valleys it charged.

I've reached the point that I usually reach in most of my first playthroughs through a region (since Kalos, at least), where I go "hmm, I'm kind of aimless, don't really like my team comp, maybe it's time to restart my save before I put too much time in".
And you know what? Probably going to do it, lmao.

This game really makes you FEEL like Ash Ketchum because you spend a lot of time absolutely swarmed with Tauros

Got Violet on launch, only a few hours of exploration in, just reached Mesagoza. However, still reeling from the shock of somehow managing to catch myself a shiny Igglybuff! Ironically, I was testing out the Let's Go autobattle feature specifically on Igglybuff in the area because of the lack of an overworld jingle and it being one of many Pokémon who have shiny colors that barely look different from the original. Didn't actually think I'd end up finding one, but I guess I have a new permanent member of my team! Never found one so early (or any really prior to Legends), truly geeked about it.

I think BDSP had the access anywhere boxes, it was also very much choose your own difficulty haha (love that phrase btw)

I know it’s too early for the competitive scene to get going, but any word on what the online features are for competitive battles? Also, where do online battles take place? For all of SwSh’s graphical shortfalls I always liked the stadium backdrop used for online battles.

LGPE had access-anywhere boxes too.
Ah yes I owned it so I’m aware! But I figured it was just sort of shoehorned into that as a remake and didn’t own Sword and Shield, so I was wondering how a game designed with that in mind might differ.

Being an actual Spaniard, I'm having a lot of extra additional fun with the game.

You can see what kinds of things they focused on more with the Spanish inspiration, and which they ignored, and it's very interesting lol

Trying out some online raids with randos. Lots of Ceruledge but no Armarouge. Saw a number of Sprigatito and Fuecoco evolutions but no Quaxly evolutions.

So this game is Pokemon, Persona, Dynasty Warriors and Monster Hunter in one? Nice.

Got an outbreak of Bronzong and I now have five Auspicious Armors plus 206 spare Bronzor Fragments.

Definitely feels like Violet got shafted on these trades, Bronzong is common enough even without outbreaks, while Sinistea seems rarer and I've yet to find a Polteageist. Or maybe they knew Ceruledge would be more popular?

Levelling system is weird in places. Found a Team Star base with lower levels than Mela, despite being further away on most player's journeys.
If you go strictly by levels, Mela's base is like the... 7th? Thing you should actually do, oddly enough. Three gyms, two Titans, and one other Star base are all lower level than her.

Levelling system is weird in places. Found a Team Star base with lower levels than Mela, despite being further away on most player's journeys.

...have we been bamboozled and Mela isn't the first Team Star base to take down?

I know the levels there caught me off guard and made me wipe the first time through lol

...have we been bamboozled and Mela isn't the first Team Star base to take down?

I know the levels there caught me off guard and made me wipe the first time through lol
Yeah, check the threadmark if you want a level-order map. Mela is oddly late in the list despite seeming like something you'd do early.

I chose the wrong move in a battle because the UI is so laggy

Still enjoying the game a lot

I keep hearing this and it's making me eager to get there. I'm really enjoying the game so far, only around level ~21 as a team and trying to spread out the XP, it's been really fun.
Yeah I have had a blast with the whole game, but I think the last section of the game is a clear standout.

because of the lack of an overworld jingle and it being one of many Pokémon who have shiny colors that barely look different from the original
Daaang, the overworld jingle is gone?!

Also, how did you catch it if you were autobattling a bunch in the area? Did you recall your Pokémon in the time or is the game kind enough to not knock out a shiny in auto battle?

Daaang, the overworld jingle is gone?!

Also, how did you catch it if you were autobattling a bunch in the area? Did you recall your Pokémon in the time or is the game kind enough to not knock out a shiny in auto battle?
The latter! There are a few reasons I've noticed when your Pokémon refuses to attack (indicated by a sweat emoji from their healthbar in the bottom left of the screen): when they're too tired, when a bunch of wild Pokémon are clustered close together or if one is in the air/water, and when one is a shiny. It will never attack a shiny, so for those cases when you can't tell if it's a shiny or not, use Let's Go and you may have your answer.

Back
Top Bottom