• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

One thing I have really come to love and hate about this game is the selection of older gen pokemon. Cause I always try to do my first run on new pokemon, but the ones selected for this gen are some of my fav and I want them on my team lol. Outside of the GLARING omission of Poochyena, Murkow, Larvitar and Gogoat are here lol.

I'm just gonna say it. The walk 1000 steps in lets go mode to evolve certain Pokemon sucks lmao. Especially if they are small and can't keep up. I now have an overpowered dog because I thought I did the 1000 steps when I haven't. And now my game is at a standstill as I hyper focus on getting to 1000 steps.
Honestly I counted my steps multiple times and it feels like they don't track with the 1000 steps.

I think it's the Pokemon's steps itself.

But my god it's awful. I tried for hours evolving the tumbleweed ans then gave up.

The walk 1000 steps in lets go mode to evolve certain Pokemon sucks
This was pure BS. I somehow got adorable little Pawmi to evolve by accident, but then my friend told me Bramblin and Rellor followed the same rules I was like, how the hell were we supposed to know that?

So, I’m enjoying playing through this but the world isn’t the most interesting to explore?
I've mentioned this before, but yeah the world really is kind of dull. The Pokemon are doing a lot of heavy lifting in keeping the world interesting. I would definitely like to see more landmarks and fantasy locations in their next rodeo.

You get some great stuff from these teacher social links lol, also some good potential plot hooks for DLC
Ugh, why would they put his content behind the lectures

Screw it, I'll just Youtube that stuff after I finish the game

Water starters won the Splatfest, but they get trolled by this game.
I didn't pick Quaxly, but I did fight Mela first. Really loved how her tactic screwed over water types. I was planning to let my dolphin beat her Pokemon up but had to resort to my giant salt-cube golem.

I have assembled my mice
I hope you packed enough cheese sandwiches

Why is there grown ass men with facial hair in school with 10 year olds
I'm wondering if the trainer models are randomized? It's hilarious seeing grampas and grannies acting like schoolchildren.

If you go strictly by levels, Mela's base is like the... 7th?
Was also surprised by this. The next two bases I hit crumpled with a passing swipe. I really think there should have been some form of level scaling.

Found an area that has wild Ditto and I love what they did with it.

It is roaming around as a different Pokemon. It might specifically be disguised as something that DOESN'T spawn in that area, since I was all excited to catch what Ditto was pretending to be I was a little disappointed when it immediately turned into a Ditto. (not that disappointed, because I really wanted a Ditto too)

The latter! There are a few reasons I've noticed when your Pokémon refuses to attack (indicated by a sweat emoji from their healthbar in the bottom left of the screen): when they're too tired, when a bunch of wild Pokémon are clustered close together or if one is in the air/water, and when one is a shiny. It will never attack a shiny, so for those cases when you can't tell if it's a shiny or not, use Let's Go and you may have your answer.
incredible that it will never attack a shiny. Thank goodness!

i got clapped by a wild makuhita this is embarrassing
I was beating down trainers near the windmills, leveling a pretty bad team for XP, and got destroyed by a random trainer that somehow had a level 20 Oinkologne and a level 20... something else. I think everyone else around there was using like level 15 mons, it was weird, but kind of a nice change to get a rude awakening like that!

I was beating down trainers near the windmills, leveling a pretty bad team for XP, and got destroyed by a random trainer that somehow had a level 20 Oinkologne and a level 20... something else. I think everyone else around there was using like level 15 mons, it was weird, but kind of a nice change to get a rude awakening like that!
Oh yeah, now I remember. It was a level 20 Luxio with Ice Fang and Lightning Fang. Like, damn, game, okay then, I'll just slink off to the pokecenter and bring back a real team, fiiiiine

I planned on doing a lot more today, but all I managed to do is complete the first gym and took a bunch of classes at school. Less progress than I would have intended, but I did get two members of my team - Ballet the Smoliv and Rhumba the Nacli. So excited to try them out! I got a Wattrel too, but...impish nature, oof, I'll wait to get another one.

I really like the first gym leader! Love her baker theming. I hope the rest of them are as neat as her!

The gameplay loop is legit addictive. Feels like there’s so much to do and see. I’m 18 hours in and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface.
I think the big sign of this is that I have played for 8 hours and caught over 50 Pokémon, yet I only have one badge under my belt. So little progress and yet that much game time!!

I was fairly committed to getting Scarlet, but I was watching a friend play today and saw that the clearly motorcycle shaped box art Pokémon runs on its legs instead of its wheels, and that just annoys me. I think the Violet one does use its wheels, so now I’m not sure what to do.

Hit the credits, great ending.

I think this is a great step forward for Pokemon, despite the technical hiccups. Between this and Arceus it's hard not to look forward to the future for this franchise.

Time to grind raids and nonsense for hours ahead of Season 1.

Hit the credits, great ending.

I think this is a great step forward for Pokemon, despite the technical hiccups. Between this and Arceus it's hard not to look forward to the future for this franchise.

Time to grind raids and nonsense for hours ahead of Season 1.
What are seasons in Pokémon?

Black Tauros has classic legendary catch-rate. And has given me the fiercest fights in recent Pokemon memory. What a menace.

I didn't pick Quaxly, but I did fight Mela first. Really loved how her tactic screwed over water types. I was planning to let my dolphin beat her Pokemon up but had to resort to my giant salt-cube golem.

I've decided, instead of catching more rock-types, to grab myself a Cloud Nine Psyduck so Team Water can have its revenge! Because anything else would be disrespecting Splatfest Law and letting down Big Man.

I was fairly committed to getting Scarlet, but I was watching a friend play today and saw that the clearly motorcycle shaped box art Pokémon runs on its legs instead of its wheels, and that just annoys me. I think the Violet one does use its wheels, so now I’m not sure what to do.

Violet legendary is a sleeker bike. Scarlet legendary is the more believable animal. The latter is a doofus, but it kinda works better with the cutscenes I've encountered so far.

Just hit the credits too. I hope I'm not the only one who likes the Ed Sheeran song.

Phenomenal game.

First solid Pokémon story all the way through and they juggled three different stories that all came to a great ending.

I wish a few things from past games was back like Arceus Capturing.
Let's go Mode kept Pokémon keep up with you or teleport back to you if they get too far like in Sun & Moon.
And brought back in game evolution items like the link cable so we don't have to trade evolve our mons.

Besides the small things and the huge technical problems, this is easily the best Pokémon games. (Too bad about it running like a potatoe, Switch Pro is hopefully around the corner).

I do appreciate how much the game messes with type advantage, between terastalizing and also the Star teams trolling you (at least, the dark one does, and sounds like the fire one too)

the clearly motorcycle shaped box art Pokémon runs on its legs instead of its wheels
I like the Scarlet Legendary more because I really ccan just think of it as a giant lizard with a massive throat flap. The Violet Legendary's "wheel" doesn't really turn either, the lights just make it seem like it is.

I've decided, instead of catching more rock-types, to grab myself a Cloud Nine Psyduck so Team Water can have its revenge!
I can respect the commitment.

First solid Pokémon story all the way through and they juggled three different stories that all came to a great ending
Nowhere near the end yet but yeah the stories have been surprisingly engaging so far.

(at least, the dark one does, and sounds like the fire one too)
Oh yeah, they know you want to abuse the RPS, and they have countermeasures.

one nice thing about the water gym challenge is that it's a great progress check. I barely scraped by in the apprentice battle, using multiple revives, so I'm going to go do some easier stuff first

Black Tauros has classic legendary catch-rate. And has given me the fiercest fights in recent Pokemon memory. What a menace.

I've decided, instead of catching more rock-types, to grab myself a Cloud Nine Psyduck so Team Water can have its revenge! Because anything else would be disrespecting Splatfest Law and letting down Big Man.

Violet legendary is a sleeker bike. Scarlet legendary is the more believable animal. The latter is a doofus, but it kinda works better with the cutscenes I've encountered so far.
Koraidon is a doofus but it's my doofus, dammit

I would protect prehistoric bike lizard with my life

Sound in this game gets a 10/10. When your opponent uses '"tera" and they start playing that choir melody. It's crazy!!!

Also the Elite 4 this time around covers literally everything. You think you can match up with type advantage? No way Jose. You in fighting a Pikachu who knows Razor Lead or some shit.

Uh... So, anyone else notice during the Titan questline that, whenever you enter one of the caves after fighting one of the Titans, there's always this random pokeball sitting in the middle of the cave? Specifically a Heal Ball. It's in every cave, just... sitting there during the cutscenes. At first, I thought it belonged to Arven's pokemon, but it's already there when you enter the cave, and it's left behind when you leave. No one ever acknowledges it in the cutscenes. I tried going back into the caves after the cutscenes are done, but I can't get in. Is it just some... random glitch?

Uh... So, anyone else notice during the Titan questline that, whenever you enter one of the caves after fighting one of the Titans, there's always this random pokeball sitting in the middle of the cave? Specifically a Heal Ball. It's in every cave, just... sitting there during the cutscenes. At first, I thought it belonged to Arven's pokemon, but it's already there when you enter the cave, and it's left behind when you leave. No one ever acknowledges it in the cutscenes. I tried going back into the caves after the cutscenes are done, but I can't get in. Is it just some... random glitch?
It’s just the game being dumb. Mines shows ultra balls most of the time

Ah, cool cool. I was kiiiiinda hoping that there was more to it - like maybe I could enter the caves later on and get something from them - but it being another dumb glitch seemed more likely.

Anyway, I'm liking the simpler, more 'human' stories found so far in the 3 paths. The gym path has been fairly standard, but the other two have had surprisingly decent storytelling for a Pokemon game. Granted, I haven't gotten to the endgame yet, so for all I know, all of time and space is in jeopardy and we have to save the world again, but I really hope not. I've had enough of that nonsense to last me a lifetime, thanks.

How did they make joining raid battles worse than in Sword and Shield?

At least there is now a random button.

one nice thing about the water gym challenge
I love the water gym, it's easily my favorite of the gyms I've tackled so far. the leader himself is such a nice bloke. And boy did I love flauntiing my wealth at the auctions at Porto Marinada. Major Recettear vibes. And that desert we have to traverse to get there... the Great Tusk Titan there was kicking my butt but I managed to defeat it by a hair. And then I nabbed a little Great Tusk to call my own! I can't control it yet, so that motivated me to finish up more Gyms.

The gym path has been fairly standard but the other two have had surprisingly decent storytelling for a Pokemon game
I kinda agree, but I'm enjoying Nemona's crippling addiction to battling in the gym path. She has some really funny lines. "I want to battle you but I need to prepare my team for the gym, we'll fight next time promise, forgive meeeeee"

I'm only a few hours in (3 badges only) and I'm really, really loving it. I just wish it ran well. But oh my God.

Ah, cool cool. I was kiiiiinda hoping that there was more to it - like maybe I could enter the caves later on and get something from them - but it being another dumb glitch seemed more likely.

Anyway, I'm liking the simpler, more 'human' stories found so far in the 3 paths. The gym path has been fairly standard, but the other two have had surprisingly decent storytelling for a Pokemon game. Granted, I haven't gotten to the endgame yet, so for all I know, all of time and space is in jeopardy and we have to save the world again, but I really hope not. I've had enough of that nonsense to last me a lifetime, thanks.
I might be easily emotionally manipulated but:

as somebody with a chronically ill pet, I teared up every time Mabosstiff was on screen.

Unlocked the IV checker, important mechanical note:
The Former Titans all have perfect IVs, should be nice for breeding.

so I played a lot last night and I actually really like it

it's a hilarious technical disaster but the setting and characters are way above what I've come to expect from the series

Still early in the game, and I’m easily amused so it takes me a hundred years to play a Pokemans. I have to train all the new pokes and a third of the old ones, plus explore everything. Having a blast. Wish it didn’t run like ass.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this

But WE FINALLY HAVE A POKÉMON GAME WITH AN ACTUALLY GOOD STORY

Huge spoilers for post three paths. Like seriously do not click
The game straight up just went Xenoblade + Made in Abyss. Party members following you... and the music is AMAZING holy shit. And the PARADOX MONS OMG. And the WHOLE ENTIRE ENDING SEQUENCE with AI Turo and time shenanigans and amazing atmosphere aaaaaaahhhhhh

Performance is definitely a mess but Game Freak really knocked it out of the park conceptually. I am really impressed with their ambition. It's nice to actually be excited for the future of the franchise after this and Arceus

I feel the main difference between Sword and Shield and this is that the problems this game has are literally technical details that can be patched and smoothed over time, and probably will, but the core is extremely solid and a serious step forward; while Sword and Shield basically needed a complete redo because the gameplay, story and progression were fucked from the design stage.

I find the character desing in this game among the very best in the series. Didn't feel like this since Black/White and Sun/Moon. The team Star leaders are a standout, they're mostly so stylish <3

It's nice to actually be excited for the future of the franchise after this and Arceus
This is my take. With the game running as it is though, it still paints the picture games are still being rushed to completion to meet the date for the Holidays, anime, card game and ect.

Last edited:
This is my take. With the game running as it is though, it still paints the picture games are still being rushed to completion to meet the date for the Holidays, anime, card game and ect.
That definitely reflects in the technical aspects, but not in the content this time around imo. Whereas Sword and Shield's second half was blatantly unfinished

Lol

Iono still does her whole streamer preamble for her rematch.

The challenge for the Normal type Gym was pretty fun. And Larry is a good guy. He even pays for dinner, even though you take his money after you beat him.

I think I'm gonna go and try to figure out how to evolve some of these mons. My friend confirmed the bottlenose dolphin has an evolution, so that critter's gonna be in for a grind. Will also be having my previous-gen mons get some EXP. I've been focused on the new ones haha.

Alright, might as well write down some quick thoughts like I said I was going to. Random good-bad stuff 'cause why not.

[Aaaaaand of course this turned into a long post. Sorry]

What i find bad:
- One, the game runs like ass, like, it's absolutely abysmal. I'm not joking when I say that I've never played anything that runs this poorly. SV's performance makes The Last Guardian look good. And two, it is VERY buggy. The game was rushed and shipped in an unfinished state. No way in hell QA did not report this stuff.
Whoever is to blame for this, be it GF's higher-ups, TPC's and/or Nintendo's complicity I don't care, somebody deserves to be given a hard time over this lmao
-The game controls quite poorly? Gamefeel is definitely not as nice as PLA, but even without bringing Legends into the equation the camera is oftentimes wonky, locking onto pokémon is awful and doesn't work half the time. I understand not having "cold" catching or other capture mechanics but the simple act of aiming at a pokémon can't be such a hassle. There's no way in hell anybody wants to start an encounter in any other way other than by throwing a pokeball, meaning you can't have such a core system work this poorly.
-Apparently Team Star Challenges are always the same thing? Could have done with more gameplay variety.

What I find good:
-Full 3D, Open area/world pokémon works. SwSh's DLC hinted at it, PLA said it out loud, and SV basically confirms it. Map design is also perfectly OK. Nooks and crannies, verticality, vistas (kinda, too bad LoD is once again godawful)
-The mons: variety and behaviour are good, and the new normal maps are fantastic, pokémon belong to the world way, way more now. New designs are ok: not exactly in love with too many of them so far though.
-Character designs are, like always, on point. Tone feels appropriate and lively.
-I love having three different paths. Still early into them, but hearing that they're well written has me excited for what's to come. Interesting to see what's probably the first story with a different main scenario writer since forever.
-On that point I feel like mainline pokémon as a series is way more engrossing when they actually switch up the story premise. So having a school setting with a treasure hunt theme feels both new and familiar just the right amount (which is also why, among other things, XY feel so unremarkable to me)
-Gyms are fine so far (though I get that they could've bothered with giving them more standout features). I don't exactly miss the trainer gauntlets of past gens so... :shrugs:
-Music is ok. I think they also brought in new composers and it shows, certain tracks have quite a different vibe than the usual pokemon soundtrack. PLA's immersive sound design was good till you realized it never let the player listen to the game's ost, which worked to its detriment when half the time you had the hear "Caution" (the mon-aggro theme) and not much else.

What I'm ambivalent towards:
-The towns. They have a real sense of place. Massive, both in a good and bad way, at times too big to navigate. Shops are all over the place and if you want to find a specific clothing store there's a good chance you're going to forget where it was. World building seems to be both there and lacking at the same time. Like, you'll have a modern city with skyscrapers and light-shows, an influencer gym leader, poké-ad billboards bonanza, but you're not going to give me a couple of NPCs with interesting stuff to say? Also, I'm not missing the interiors as much as other people apparently are, given that they were mostly copy-pasted window dressing in previous games, and that the towns/citites are populated enough where I, frankly (or the game), don't need any more NPCs.
-Maybe the open world needs better "rewards"? Though I'm not sure about this point.
-Customization. Yeah we could do with having more uniforms at the very least. Though, unpopular opinion I know, I actually dig the goofy shorts and round hat combo, it sells me on the whole treasure hunt across summery PokéIberian Peninsula vibe of the game, so I don't mind the lack of customization too much.

SV truly feels both too ambitious for its own good and a more exciting experience because of it. It is seriously hampered by its release state.

I could go on but I better stop for my sake and that of whoever's bothered with reading this.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot. Gameplay loop-freedom good. Lack of side activities-quests (kinda) bad

Last edited:
It's the Ball for the first Pokémon in your party. I noticed it in the interview room as well, changing your lead changes the Ball

Back
Top Bottom