• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying both. Been doing that since SM. Started doing the same for past games where I'm just missing Pokemon Y for post Gen 3.
That's what I did as a kid. I had red, blue, yellow, gold and silver. But since then I always just buy one version. Im still a pokemon fan but not a big enough fan anymore to buy both.

Scarlet for me, the kids get both for christmans (but they don't know yet).

I'm way more afraid of Prof. Sada beating me up than whatever Crypto-Bro Turo can come up.

That's what I did as a kid. I had red, blue, yellow, gold and silver. But since then I always just buy one version. Im still a pokemon fan but not a big enough fan anymore to buy both.
well I collect pokemon games so when I'm able to, I just buy both versions. I'm just missing most of the GBA games, HGSS, and Y. (I have no interest in the Gen 1 and 2 games although I have Yellow and Crystal on 3DS VC)

Interest in this game is seemingly pretty high here! The store that has the Nintendo agency in the country sold out on preorders the same day as they went up on the double pack. I see now that the Scarlet Version has sold out as well, although Violet seems to remain in stock.

So, two out of the three different physical versions of the game are sold out in the country already on preorders with four days to go until release. Very small market, of course, so never indicative of worldwide, but still...

I was leaning on Violet because of that awesome Ceruledge. But now Greavard is a thing, I don't need another ghost in my party. Count me in for Scarlet.

I’m going with Scarlet because it seems all my friends are buying Violet, except for the superfan who’s buying both versions. I’d usually check the version exclusives, but I figured it might be nice to go in not knowing what to expect.

This game is so close. I’m excited.

Which Versions are you guys gonna go for? Right now i think its gonna be violet for me.
I was always going to get Scarlet, but now I'm getting both. I'm still playing Scarlet first. Violet I think I'm going to make it more fun by doing a restrictive play run.

I envy so much people who are in piece with buying digital.

I payed 30% more than full price and will have to wait a good 15 days after the game releases to actually play it, just because I wanted the physical version. With some smaller games I already got used to buying digital, but Pokémon is one of the big ones, I have a physical collection going all the way back to Red, too hard to let it go.

I envy so much people who are in piece with buying digital.

I payed 30% more than full price and will have to wait a good 15 days after the game releases to actually play it, just because I wanted the physical version. With some smaller games I already got used to buying digital, but Pokémon is one of the big ones, I have a physical collection going all the way back to Red, too hard to let it go.

Right there with you.

I'm always gonna get Pokemon games physical. I have one version of each release physically all the way back to Silver version. (My very first video game.)

My collection could be entirely digital and none of my consoles have a disc drive and Pokemon would still be the one last game left I always buy physical. Too conditioned by seeing second-hand old gen titles sold for full price or more at retailers.

Which Versions are you guys gonna go for? Right now i think its gonna be violet for me.
Folks online seem to favor Violet so I went with Scarlet to ease on trading exclusive mons,. Also I have a bias for historical stuffs all the way since BW/B2W2, thus going with Scarlet seems natural for me lol.

Violet. My friend group is split 50/50, and when I get back to internet where I can actually do peer-to-peer connections it'll be nice to easily get version exclusives in their world.

I'm probably getting Violet and that was entirely because I thought Scarlet's legendary looked dumb running around. Ironically I've changed my mind and now think Violet's legendary looks awful in motorcycle mode and Scarlet's isn't quite as bad as I thought. Miraidon looks so dang stiff as a bike and I kinda hate it.

any early leaked pics of the target pre-order bonus statue?
I wish. I tried going to the Target near work to see if they were doing the offer, they didn't even receive any word from corporate.

I, uh, kinda forgot to preorder. And while I don't need any preorder bonuses, I'd like to play it launch weekend if I can. We'll have to see if i can scoop up a copy of Scarlet (and Violet for my partner).

I dislike the smell of oranges so that was
reason enough to go for Violet as that has a grapes logo.🧐

I also like the future aesthetic more than the primitive one, and like Miraidon more too, but all that comes secondary to my hatred of the smell of oranges. 😤

Just popping in to complain that I am going to have two days off this week on Tuesday and Wednesday, but Pokémon only comes out on Friday. Life sometimes likes to mess with us.

By the way, I am going for Violet because I really like the color scheme.

My buddy wants me to breed Fuecoco eggs for him, so I'll have those this weekend if y'all want any

Just discovered someone on another account bought Scarlet on preorder on my Switch!! Not really a Pokemon fan but gonna play this at launch. Have yet to finish Arceus tho.

Feels like the usual timing for Nintendo games, no? One day before release.
Sw/Sh was two days before, and just recently Xenoblade 3 was 3-4 days before (I forget) so it varies quite a bit. But in general, one day before is fairly standard, yeah. I remember that's how it was for BOTW, so it's not a quality/concern/timing thing either

maxresdefault.jpg

Hearing that you can apparently only change into different
school uniforms for clothing options
is so disappointing. What a baffling and backwards decision.
This. One of the only leaks I saw but at least I'm getting used to the idea and won't be surprised in a bad way during my playthrough, especially if others things (like accessories) compensate to some degree and other options are eventually added via DLC.

I must admit I'm getting a little concerned by the performance reports I've been reading. It's always hard to figure out who on the internet can actually describe a game's technical performance, but here it's especially bad given that we're talking about the Pokémon fandom, which more often than not falls into the "GF's switch games run like ass" camp (when they actually don't, outside of precise instances), conflating their distaste for the visuals with (actual) game performance.

Poor performance is not a deal breaker but it would definitely be a bummer. I guess I'm foolishly hoping for a 1.0.2 patch come launch day.

I must admit I'm getting a little concerned by the performance reports I've been reading. It's always hard to figure out who on the internet can actually describe a game's technical performance, but here it's especially bad given that we're talking about the Pokémon fandom, which more often than not falls into the "GF's switch games run like ass" camp (when they actually don't, outside of precise instances), conflating their distaste for the visuals with (actual) game performance.

Poor performance is not a deal breaker but it would definitely be a bummer. I guess I'm foolishly hoping for a 1.0.2 patch come launch day.
Is it really worse than Arceus overall? Anyway I'm also hoping for some day one patch that early copies don't have access to

While I think the games looks pretty ugly so far, especially textures, I AM glad the Pkmn have actual textures now, even if just for variation's sake.
I'd love to see all the mons with, like, PS5-levels of fidelity one day. I am not a graphics nerd, but it would be fun to eventually see that.
Ray-trace the Magnemites dangit!!

Is it really worse than Arceus overall? Anyway I'm also hoping for some day one patch that early copies don't have access to
Given what I've been reading it must be. PLA's performance was good though so I don't really get the "worse than Arceus" part?

To be honest (if performance is bad) I'd like a day one patch, but I'm not expecting one given that 1.0.1 already released, (mainly for reviewers I guess). I don't think GF can/will optimize the game this much in such a short amount of time.

Edit: (On PLA) I mean, pop-in and lod management were bad but other than that the game was locked 30, native res when played handheld, and dynamic 1080p with stuttering hiccups when docked (and we all know devs can do much worse than that on the system).

Last edited:
ST is going up at midnight Eastern tonight! Really worked hard on this one, bandied about some fun ideas, hope the one I settled on lands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom