• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this talk about how good Pokemon's traditional is makes it all the more insane to me they removed set style from the campaign lmao.
They're so, so fucking stupid

Someone probably said "hey, do we really need this? If they don't want to switch, they don't have to." So they took it out, because removing player options is Game Freak's favorite thing in the entire world, and anything that threatens their perfect vision of forcing the player to effortlessly steamroll everything MUST be destroyed

Arceus battles are terrible, not just because removing abilities and held items cuts out nearly all of the battle system’s depth besides spamming super effective moves, but the new strong/agile style are not optimal replacements. Often it just led to spamming agile moves or moves that raised the turn order, both for the player and wild Pokémon. There’s nothing fun getting an entire team swept by a Crobat because it can spam Air Slash 4 times in a row.

Then there’s just a lot of changes they made to make it “faster” then ends up just making it worse, such as being able to attack the moment you or your opponent switches Pokémon. Often during a trainer battle your Pokémon will have a type advantage against your opponent’s, but then they’ll switch Pokémon to one that gives them an advantage and immediately hit you with a supereffective move you couldn’t prepare for. Or the fact that all exp gains are after battle, which means that if you do a long battle and Pokemon faints during the end, they get 0 experience, even if they KO 5 Pokémon and dies to the opponent’s 6th.

Are battles faster? Sure. Are they engaging? Not at all. And the game knows this with how much it deemphasizes battles, with wild Pokémon being able to be caught without battles and there being very few trainers in the game. Maybe I’m biased as someone who plays competitive but if the Arceus battle system was adopted in mainline Pokémon games, it would effectively mean the end of competitive Pokémon. Most players would rather sacrifice speed if it meant the battles would still have depth.

Good post. If your primary interest is depth / team building the Arceus system would obviously not be for you.

Obviously removing held items and abilities are the primary way depth is reduced - but I felt like it was appropriate for a single-player only game where catching is the priority. I felt like that priority came first, and the battle system was changed to suit it. Not that they focused on catching because the battles sucked.

Anyway, for me I have no interest in multiplayer, and when it comes to RPGs I am far less interested in team-building and far more in fast, reactive battles. If you can have both, great - Etrian Odyssey is my favourite RPG system. Xenoblade, where almost everything is determined by how you've set your party up before the battle starts, is one of my least.

So, for me, removing held items and abilities was worth it in Arceus. The unpredictability of the turn order wasn't fair, but it was entertaining. Yes, that would certainly make for a poor multi-player game without some tweaking. However I have long argued that the current system in mainline pokemon makes for a very poor single player one. It's fair, but not even slightly entertaining. It is (to me) obviously a 2 v 2 multiplayer battle system shoehorned into 1 v 1 single player, with battles that never even approach the difficulty required to show the depth the series is capable of.

Also, there's at least a little fun in getting inexplicably swept by a Crobat, lol. After 20+ years of pokemon orthodoxy, crazy moments like that made Arceus fun to me.

The turn order is godawful. There's no PvP in that game for a reason

My Typhlosion beats Magnezone with a Fire move, okay, cool. Then my opponent sends out a Ground type and one-shots Typhlosion before I can even do anything. I have zero options to strategize, most trainer battles devolve into each side taking turns one-shotting each other. It's just bad design.

Switching out is sometimes completely safe, but you have no means of knowing when because the game doesn't tell you. This is not only stupid but also wildly unbalanced since faster Pokemon sometimes get the benefit of switching out and attacking for free, which is way too good (hence the lack of PvP, because that's way too abusable).

Legends doesn't have abilities or held items because they're not compatible with this unbalanced mess of a battle system, which strips the game of extra teambuilding options and severely nerfs Pokemon that benefit from their abilities, taking away so much depth

EDIT: Adding on to this, the turn order also completely invalidates defensive Pokemon. Mons like Ferrothorn and Toxapex are excellent because they can sponge hits for days and whittle opponents down with moves like Toxic and Leech Seed. That's their thing, that's what they're built for.

With the turn order, that entire niche is worthless because your Ferrothorn is just going to get one-shotted by a Fire move while you have no means to prevent it at all.
As above, good explaination, fair play.

I guess as this is an S/V thread this Arceus talk is slightly off-topic so I'll stop before this all leads into my biggest hot take with pokemon - that the series will forever be too easy until your party is healed after every battle.

To make it on-topic again, it is cool from a difficulty perspective that you can stumble into way higher level trainers in S/V. Coming up against a trainer with 3 level 38s when you have only lvl 29s will really make you push the status moves rather than just mashing attack. The only shame is that once you realize you're in a high level region you can simply avoid every pokemon and trainer. There are some sections that would have been absolutely epic treks in previous pokemon games, but here once your last pokemon is down to low health you can just say "Okay, I just won't battle until I reach the next town / area".

Feels like a real mis-step not having at least some higher level trainers auto-battle you like previous games to "guard" some areas, so that accessing them then feels like an achievement.

They're so, so fucking stupid

Someone probably said "hey, do we really need this? If they don't want to switch, they don't have to." So they took it out, because removing player options is Game Freak's favorite thing in the entire world, and anything that threatens their perfect vision of forcing the player to effortlessly steamroll everything MUST be destroyed
I'd agree but the online still has set as per usual. I'm still on that random key item gives you set battle back copium.

Damn I didn't know they removed set style. This is so stupid, especially when multiplayer is set only.

They went out of their way to make the mechanics different between single and multi, it's unnecessary and inelegant. They're really adamant on removing agency from players that want to have a more challenging experience at all costs.

All of this talk about how good Pokemon's traditional is makes it all the more insane to me they removed set style from the campaign lmao.
They WHAT? Why?! That's so unbelievably stupid. First remove the EXP Share option, now remove the option to play the game the way it is online. Please tell me that at least the affection mechanics are back to being optional.

The worst part is that we already know that they don't listen to feedback.

With another dev, going on social media and requesting for something as incredibly simple as wanting set to come back might get some traction. But Game Freak doesn't give a shit. They won't bring it back and they'll just keep taking other options away in the next game because they feel like it

Can you post a picture, please? Now I'm curious, and I bought physical so I can't see it
8755.png
8756.png

Damn I didn't know they removed set style. This is so stupid, especially when multiplayer is set only.

They went out of their way to make the mechanics different between single and multi, it's unnecessary and inelegant. They're really adamant on removing agency from players that want to have a more challenging experience at all costs.
In theory you can still just press B, gotta feel the weight and go through those textboxes if you want a challenge.

More early / general impressions on the quality SV's world / level design, if you're interested. Bear in mind I went into this game totally blind, so all of this might be apparent from the trailers.

It's really hard for me to imagine that this is the same team/people that did the levels in Arceus - which were mostly thoughtful and clever, while the level design of the open world in SV just seems... non-existent by comparison. It feels like SV came first, somehow, and they learned lessons they then used in Arceus. Given that the games must have been in dev side-by-side at some point... maybe this was partially the case?

In Arceus, there are routes that take you through distinct local areas, where it feels like the pokemon there are correctly situated. For example in the Obsidian Fieldlands, you can explore and find that meadow with the Beautifly pretty quickly. But those Beautifly won't spawn just anywhere else. It feels like they belong in that meadow. And there's an alpha pokemon prowling nearby that you need to steer clear of to get there. Or in the ice level there'd be a hot spring with a bunch of pre-set pokemon soaking in it. Near the end of the game, one of the most amazing moments was stumbling upon the hidden spring at night and seeing all the Clefairy dancing in front of the full moon. Someone deliberately took the time to program that and set that up - and they nailed it. What a moment. All of this gives the world a sense of place. It felt like every part of the world had been carefully designed, with spawns carefully placed.

It's early, but there's nothing like that here that I can see. There's no real sense of individual location design to the open world's various areas - mostly just a series of fields, cliffs and ramps between them decked out in different themes (grass, desert, snow etc), eventually leading to a town. It's... fine, but it's bland. Very bland. And in any given area random pokemon will spawn from the spawn lists and mill around. Tons of them. So rather than coming upon little set pieces with a small and distinct pokemon spawn list, it feels far more like the wild area from Sword Shield. Incredibly enough, I think I might actually prefer the way pokemon were handled in the wild area. Especially with the frankly vicious pop-in problems here,

The same applies to items. There's no thought into where they're placed at all. And the pop-in is so bad that you can walk down a cul-de-sac and say "Nothing here" only to be wrong because the item often doesn't pop-in until you're close to it.

There are some efforts to make it feel more "natural". Sometimes you'll see a pokemon asleep at the base of a tree. Sometimes you'll see a group of unevolved pokemon hanging around the evolved version, which is cool. Things of that nature. But you see them so often that they're clearly just set ways a pokemon can spawn - not specific to one area.

In terms of orientation, there's certainly nothing like the landmarks in BotW to help you get around. And because you can't set the minimap to always be north, I find myself really struggling to tell where I am and where I want to go a lot unless I open the full map every so often.

The positive is that the sense of freedom is great. I was sure I couldn't access one particular town until later (because of a high / unpassable wall in a cave leading to it), only to stumble into the actual correct path by accident while doing something totally different. And on my way there I was genuinely surprised by some of the pokemon I saw spawning, actually excited. Lastly, TMs are handled very well here. They used to be a useless collectible because they were one-use and you knew you'd never actually use them because of it. Here, they're one-use, yes, but they also unlock the TM in the crafting menu. So finding one is a genuine boon for your team. When you see a yellow item ball you're pretty happy. And collecting the crafting materials by battling and catching wild pokemon feeds into that loop nicely. That part of the game is well thought out.

There's no doubt that the open world is the future, and for all my criticism it remains the right call. But I think it needs to be better than this, done with more care and granular detail.

Also, bring back traditional gyms... these gym tests are, uh...

Good post. If your primary interest is depth / team building the Arceus system would obviously not be for you.

Obviously removing held items and abilities are the primary way depth is reduced - but I felt like it was appropriate for a single-player only game where catching is the priority. I felt like that priority came first, and the battle system was changed to suit it. Not that they focused on catching because the battles sucked.

Anyway, for me I have no interest in multiplayer, and when it comes to RPGs I am far less interested in team-building and far more in fast, reactive battles. If you can have both, great - Etrian Odyssey is my favourite RPG system. Xenoblade, where almost everything is determined by how you've set your party up before the battle starts, is one of my least.

So, for me, removing held items and abilities was worth it in Arceus. The unpredictability of the turn order wasn't fair, but it was entertaining. Yes, that would certainly make for a poor multi-player game without some tweaking. However I have long argued that the current system in mainline pokemon makes for a very poor single player one. It's fair, but not even slightly entertaining. It is (to me) obviously a 2 v 2 multiplayer battle system shoehorned into 1 v 1 single player, with battles that never even approach the difficulty required to show the depth the series is capable of.

Also, there's at least a little fun in getting inexplicably swept by a Crobat, lol. After 20+ years of pokemon orthodoxy, crazy moments like that made Arceus fun to me.
Not much to add. Thats a great explanation, and also gets to the point why i just dont like the Xeno games.

More early / general impressions on the quality SV's world / level design, if you're interested. Bear in mind I went into this game totally blind, so all of this might be apparent from the trailers.

There's no doubt that the open world is the future, and for all my criticism it remains the right call. But I think it needs to be better than this, done with more care and granular detail.

Also, bring back traditional gyms... these gym tests are, uh...
Yeah... the cut spoiler part is what i was fearing, from all the marketing material. Kinda sad, that was done pretty well in Legends.

Seems like it will be a side step, worse in some aspects (level design, catching/overworld interactions with the pokemon), better in others (true open world, more emphasis on battles). oh well.

I wish Gamefreak would take like, 4 years, with support from big N development teams to make an ambitious pokémon game that does not need to cut any corners. It is so... So sad to hear that a lot of these things feel rushed once again and weren't really built with much artistic direction in mind but more with mechanical goals.

Thanks for the details @Heron ! I wonder how my experience will be.

The worst part is that we already know that they don't listen to feedback.

With another dev, going on social media and requesting for something as incredibly simple as wanting set to come back might get some traction. But Game Freak doesn't give a shit. They won't bring it back and they'll just keep taking other options away in the next game because they feel like it
The idea that GF doesn't take into account feedback is just not true. They might not include everything fans are asking (which sometimes are even contradictory) but it is clear that each game is correcting issues of the previous ones (sometimes to a fault even).

For instance, S/M was probably the most story focused mainline Pokémon game, following criticism about X/Y story. To a fault even since it made the game very linear, and games since then have course-corrected it by taking a more open approach.

Please, Pokémon discourse is already hard enough, no need to build it on online cliché.

Got my Scarlet pre loaded. I’m pretty excited, but got nobody to play the open world part with. Hopefully they’ll either let me party up with randoms or maybe we can set something up on this site for that kind of thing.

The idea that GF doesn't take into account feedback is just not true. They might not include everything fans are asking (which sometimes are even contradictory) but it is clear that each game is correcting issues of the previous ones (sometimes to a fault even).

For instance, S/M was probably the most story focused mainline Pokémon game, following criticism about X/Y story. To a fault even since it made the game very linear, and games since then have course-corrected it by taking a more open approach.

Please, Pokémon discourse is already hard enough, no need to build it on online cliché.
If Gamefreak goes out of their way to remove something completely optional hidden away in a menu that makes a common complaint people have wanted addressed (the difficulty of the games) even worse then some minor complaining on a forum is perfectly fine IMO. They just do some weird shit between this and removing the ability to skip animations and stuff, obviously there's going to be some negative discourse here and there.

Maybe it'll all get patched and then I'll gladly eat crow, I want the games to be as good as they can because I'm spending money on them.

You cant tell me they listen when there still isnt an EXP Share toggle

People have been complaining about it for years now, and they REFUSE to let us have that option after previously taking it away

It’s like the simplest of things, people want it, and they wont fucking give it to us because they dont give a shit

I finally Pre-ordered Scarlet. I've seen a few leaks, some I wish I hadn't, and it's got me excited.

I'm just interested in catching Pokemon, shiny hunting and just enjoying quick doses of serotonin lol.
I wish Gamefreak would take like, 4 years, with support from big N development teams to make an ambitious pokémon game that does not need to cut any corners. It is so... So sad to hear that a lot of these things feel rushed once again and weren't really built with much artistic direction in mind but more with mechanical goals.

Thanks for the details @Heron ! I wonder how my experience will be.
Yeah I wish they would at least work with some other team to create something bigger and more, um, competent I guess lol. They also need to grow the workforce instead of constantly outsourcing as much as they apparently do. They are just not equipped for the HD, now going to 4k, era of gaming in my eyes. They only survive because Pokemon is just that huge and quite frankly the design of Pokemon is fantastic(minus Gen 6 lol).

People have been complaining about it for years now, and they REFUSE to let us have that option after previously taking it away

It’s like the simplest of things, people want it, and they wont fucking give it to us because they dont give a shit
Chill, my dude. You sound a little too angry.

the wheel tiddy for koraidon still looks weird. I know why it's there, but given the other parts of the concept, it just doesn't work
Miraidon is the one that throws me off honestly. I just can’t reconcile the lizard throat flap being a wheel, it’s a body structure rotating on an illogical axis.

Of course, Miraidon isn’t at least partly cybernetic, so it makes sense, but still…

quite frankly the design of Pokemon is fantastic
They’re arguably the best in the biz, it’s the main reason I still play GF’s games haha

Didn’t know the game leaked.

How’s the reception to them leaks?

Edit: should probably post it in the spoiler thread

Listening doesn't mean they have to include every change the fanbase is asking for. They still have their own vision and they do take feedback into account. It just doesn't mean that they will change their vision for every thing people complain about.

Miraidon is the one that throws me off honestly. I just can’t reconcile the lizard throat flap being a wheel, it’s a body structure rotating on an illogical axis.

As far as I see, Miraidon's throat didn't rotate either. It just looks that way because the cyber lighting markings on it rotate.

Listening doesn't mean they have to include every change the fanbase is asking for. They still have their own vision and they do take feedback into account. It just doesn't mean that they will change their vision for every thing people complain about.
nah gamefreak is personally changing the game to annoy the fans. there is no other explanation so be outraged about it.

Miraidon's throat didn't rotate either
So they’re both fake wheels? Oh thank heavens, I can reconcile with that.

I also wish there was more modularity in the game options. I like EXP share but more for keeping my team at around the same level without the tediousness of constantly swapping the lead around. I’d like an EXP share toggle with the option to lessen the amount of experience you can get. Probably too much to ask from Game Freak though haha.

One thing I do wanna know about: are the overworld behaviors of the Pokemon nice or do they continue to just amble around? Hmmm.

You see that's why it is so exhausting to discuss about this topic.

Let's close this once and for all. I can tell you they can listen even if they didn't implement a feature you want, for that I provided an example.
In order to claim they never listen to feedback, like you did, a counter-example isn't enough.

I mean come on, this is basic logic. It is hard to think you are not arguing in bad faith. The end result is not even controversial (they listen to some feedback but they don't listen to everything).

With how ridiculous some of the things they do are I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that. What possible reason is there to remove the toggle for move animations other than to annoy people??
i dont know but personally thinking that companies are trying to annoy you is narcissistic

With how ridiculous some of the things they do are I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that. What possible reason is there to remove the toggle for move animations other than to annoy people??
Wait, are you saying you can’t turn battle animations off?

I don't think it's spite persay, but I do think they are intentionally trying to crack down on players' options and challenge runs. Kit and Krysta did say TPC considers Nuzlockes to be as bad as romhacking and their culture has people worried about suggesting things over potential backlash, so it's not surprising to see that mindset of "my way or the highway" bleed into the games

I wonder what's behind GF removing these options. They've shown they aren't afraid of making challenging games, we just had Arceus earlier this year.

I think they are afraid of alienating their infant audience though. It seems they think the more streamlined, the less options and the easier the game is, it will be more enjoyable for kids. Mainline games are probably primarily aimed towards kids, so that's how they treat them. Multiplayer and Arceus aren't focused on kids, so they can do other stuff with them.

That still doesn't make sense to me personally as I doubt having an option inside a menu would cause any trouble to any kids (I mean, I played these games in a foreign language when I was a kid and I had no problems, I never confused set and shift, I knew exactly what they were), but that's what they seem to think. So we shouldn't expect any changes on that front when talking about mainline games.

Kit and Krysta did say TPC considers Nuzlockes to be as bad as romhacking and their culture has people worried about suggesting things over potential backlash, so it's not surprising to see that mindset of "my way or the highway" bleed into the games

I remember that was misinterpretted

In a statement mimicking its response to Joe Merrick, The Pokémon Company has doubled down on its stance regarding Nuzlocke runs, stating to Eurogamer that "The Pokémon Company International does not have any issues with fans or creators playing the video games with Nuzlocke rules".

As mentioned in the original article, The Pokémon Company's statement perhaps indicates that it had more of an issue promoting the Nuzlocke Challenge in an official capacity, rather than taking umbrage with the Nuzlocke Challenge as a concept.

Kit and Krysta later doubled down on the story saying that marketing management at the Pokemon Company has evolved ever since and that they did really get a very negative response. They talk about it here:

1:00:25

I mean, I trust more the people who actually lived the thing and who are not dishonest (that we know of) than a pseudo PR statement sent to Joe, whom I really like but can be sometimes a bit cringy defending GF.

There's a difference between a company's outward-facing image and their internal culture

I think it's difficult to discuss because there is no real way of checking this...

Kit and Krysta later doubled down on the story saying that marketing management at the Pokemon Company has evolved ever since and that they did really get a very negative response. They talk about it here:

1:00:25

... Although this quite honestly proves your point 😅

Kinda sad, I don't really know how to take it, first time seeing this. I see I have some watching and reading to do. I guess it's good that they've changed now but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited:
I wonder what's behind GF removing these options. They've shown they aren't afraid of making challenging games, we just had Arceus earlier this year.

I think they are afraid of alienating their infant audience though. It seems they think the more streamlined, the less options and the easier the game is, it will be more enjoyable for kids. Mainline games are probably primarily aimed towards kids, so that's how they treat them. Multiplayer and Arceus aren't focused on kids, so they can do other stuff with them.

That still doesn't make sense to me personally as I doubt having an option inside a menu would cause any trouble to any kids (I mean, I played these games in a foreign language when I was a kid and I had no problems, I never confused set and shift, I knew exactly what they were), but that's what they seem to think. So we shouldn't expect any changes on that front when talking about mainline games.
I think you've got it pretty much right, they most likely are afraid a younger child who can't read or someone who doesn't quite understand the available languages yet goes into the settings and turns a bunch of things off by accident and then gets stuck or dislikes the game because of it, so removing those options entirely removes that possibility.

Which is a bit weird to do in the generation where you can walk in a random direction and run into Pokemon 30 levels higher than you but I'm just gonna stop worrying about Gamefreak's decision making process.

Edit: Unless it's because of the coop mode? I have no idea if you can battle against AI trainers together doing that.

I kinda went from "no interest at all" to damn I can't wait to see the reviews. The game looks promising in many ways. It's still not enough for me to blindly preorder it but it's getting close.

The EXP. Share discussion is really fun because they even mentioned knowing some players want to turn it off... And told those players to just box every Pokemon except one because it's somehow "more intuitive" than being able to do both? Hearing they've stripped down even more options, just increasing the tedium for those that actually want to use them... What a great "vision" for the games. It feels like every good part of a Pokemon game these days has to somehow be counteracted by the most bizarre missteps.

Like, I'm still excited for S/V because people who felt similar about Sw/Sh as I did seem very pleased with what they've seen/played so far! But it's hard not to feel increasingly alienated when the options you use keep getting cut because they seem to think children nowadays somehow can't handle them.

Seriously, did they remove the toggle for battle animations?

There’s no way they removed the toggle for battle animations

If I had to bet I'd say they thought it was unnecessary because there's auto battle now. But it's still frustrating that they keep removing options from the player while other games go in the other direction and offer experiences that can be customized to very different play styles and necessities.

As someone who always turns battle animations off and is more than halfway through Scarlet...

Yes, they did. And boy, is it annoying.

I find my foot tapping with impatience as I have to wait for animations to complete, because it's just not the rhythm I'm used to. Why? Why take the option away?

To be fair, though, move animations are pretty quick these days. The much bigger problem is still the number of useless text messages mixed with animations. I can't believe they still haven't sorted this.

This is one turn:
Pokemon A used confusion!
Slight pause
Move animation plays
Pause
Pokemon B became confused!
Slight pause
Tweety bird animation plays
Slight pause
Pokemon B is confused!
Slight pause
Tweety bird animation plays again
Slight pause
Confused pokemon animation
Slight pause
It hurt itself in its confusion!

The pauses are small but they shouldn't exist. Half of this stuff should be happening at the same time or not happening at all. You should be able to immediately click through many of these messages but you can't, It's frustrating.

The game really needs to be released before this thread is bouldering further down to the point where people gave up before even trying 🤪

The game really needs to be released before this thread is bouldering further down to the point where people gave up before even trying 🤪

I mean, I'm still super excited.

Not being able to play with set style is a bummer for sure, but I guess I can just skip the switch prompt (I don't usually deal well with self restrictions like this but whatever). I always play with battle animations on so no problems on that regard.

It's always frustrating to see GF take away options from the players and acting like one big sector of their audience doesn't exist, but it's par for the course for pokémon and I always expect some of this.

Everything else still sounds incredibly exciting. I've even heard the difficulty is better balanced than SwSh. So I'm keeping my expectations in check and I'm sure I'll be delighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom