• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very curious to have some overall impressions from people who played the game or follow the whole leaks. But without being spoiled anything of course; just, are they pretty much positive or negative and such.

5 hours in and this is comfortably the best Pokémon experience I’ve had in 10-20+ years. I hated Sw/Sh which makes this even sweeter.

The Switch struggles to render anything in the distance, but everything up close is beautiful.

This is the Pokémon game I dreamt of as a kid, and does a lot of things better than Arceus so far.

I'm very curious to have some overall impressions from people who played the game or follow the whole leaks. But without being spoiled anything of course; just, are they pretty much positive or negative and such.
Only 3 or so hours in. But the overall sense of polish that surprised me so much from Pokemon Arceus is absent here again, and that really feels like a shame.

I played the opening couple hours of PLA again to compare it to SV and PLA is feels so much better in comparison. And the comparison is valid now that they have so much more in common than PLA and SS did. But PLA has better UI, better camera, better early pacing, better cutscenes etc.

There's a section very early (just after the pokemon catching tutorial) where you have to follow a pokemon through a cave. Everything about it is so poorly executed that it feels like the game MUST have been hugely rushed. Same with the opening cutscene. Unvoiced, strange scene transitions, just doesn't "hit". Still feels far short of a AAA game in presentation.

Performance and resolution are terrible, as to be expected.

But at least it seems like we have a real open world now. And that's a good thing. However so far the placement of pokemon isn't great, unlike Arceus. There's just far too many of them, all milling around like MMO mobs. You have to actively avoid them when you're running around rather than seeking them out. Feels like the balance is wrong. On the other hand, it leads to amazing early-game team variety.

New pokemon and character designs seem strong - Koraidon aside. But the designs are always good.

Ability to turn off a lot of the level up notifications is a great quality of life feature - I was shocked when they were back, then relieved you could turn them off.

Bear in mind I tend to be one to focus on the negative things, but so far I'm not very impressed. VERY early though.

Only 3 or so hours in. But the overall sense of polish that surprised me so much from Pokemon Arceus is absent here again, and that really feels like a shame.

I played the opening couple hours of PLA again to compare it to SV and PLA is feels so much better in comparison. And the comparison is valid now that they have so much more in common than PLA and SS did. But PLA has better UI, better camera, better early pacing, better cutscenes etc.

There's a section very early (just after the pokemon catching tutorial) where you have to follow a pokemon through a cave. Everything about it is so poorly executed that it feels like the game MUST have been hugely rushed. Same with the opening cutscene. Unvoiced, strange scene transitions, just doesn't "hit". Still feels far short of a AAA game in presentation.

Performance and resolution are terrible, as to be expected.

But at least it seems like we have a real open world now. And that's a good thing. However so far the placement of pokemon isn't great, unlike Arceus. There's just far too many of them, all milling around like MMO mobs. You have to actively avoid them when you're running around rather than seeking them out. Feels like the balance is wrong. On the other hand, it leads to amazing early-game team variety.

New pokemon and character designs seem strong - Koraidon aside. But the designs are always good.

Ability to turn off a lot of the level up notifications is a great quality of life feature - I was shocked when they were back, then relieved you could turn them off.

Bear in mind I tend to be one to focus on the negative things, but so far I'm not very impressed. VERY early though.
Given the fact that I think Legends Arceus has a slowly paced first hour, a kinda cluttered UI and control scheme where I often found myself pressing the wrong buttons for basic actions, and the same stilted cutscene direction that plagued Sword and Shield, this sounds like either giving Legends Arceus a more credit or Scarlet/Violet being absolutely terrible in those aspects, which, if it is, oof.

I've seen a few leaked Pokemon and I'm cutting myself off from here on out

...But, if anyone wants to give me a general answer about how much content there is in this game, if there's a postgame (and if it's any good), I'd appreciate it

I've seen a few leaked Pokemon and I'm cutting myself off from here on out

...But, if anyone wants to give me a general answer about how much content there is in this game, if there's a postgame (and if it's any good), I'd appreciate it
The only allusion to content I saw in the thread is the following :
Going by the leaks this will be a Pokemon game i'm going to play for a long time.

If i didn't get physical for 50 bucks and if Cloud storage would work with those games, i might've gone digital for this one so that i wouldn't have to swap carts if i was in for a couple of minutes playing.

Oh i'm a bad example of how much content a game has in relation to how long you're playing.

I just finished Xenoblade 3 yesterday and played it since launch. ^^

Team no-leak-november how we holding up? 8 days left!!!
Pretty well. I've only seen two Pokemon so far (which is how I found out leaks were happening), and someone sent me a vague description of one of the mons because it's based on one of my absolute favorite creatures and they didn't realize I was trying to avoid leaks.

Given the fact that I think Legends Arceus has a slowly paced first hour, a kinda cluttered UI and control scheme where I often found myself pressing the wrong buttons for basic actions, and the same stilted cutscene direction that plagued Sword and Shield, this sounds like either giving Legends Arceus a more credit or Scarlet/Violet being absolutely terrible in those aspects, which, if it is, oof.
Well, just bear in mind that I thought PLA had a fantastic UI and terrific control scheme - both of which felt lifted almost wholesale from the incredible BotW.

It also had great gamefeel. Just walking around, crouching, locking on to a pokemon, stalking it and then throwing at it was fun. Or run-and-gunning trying to catch as many pokemon as possible in as short as time a possible, while chucking your pokemon at various trees and rocks to collect shit, then zooming off in the air on Braviary to do it all again in a different area... the game was a joy in your hands.

None of that tactile action-y fun is here (so far). Menu selections are mushy rather than crisp. You can throw your pokeball at wild pokemon, and it feels... crap. It's just another way of entering battle, and the aim is wonky. But then this is an RPG while PLA was more action focused. I'm just saying it's noticeable.

Well, just bear in mind that I thought PLA had a fantastic UI and terrific control scheme - both of which felt lifted almost wholesale from the incredible BotW.

It also had great gamefeel. Just walking around, crouching, locking on to a pokemon, stalking it and then throwing at it was fun. Or run-and-gunning trying to catch as many pokemon as possible in as short as time a possible, while chucking your pokemon at various trees and rocks to collect shit, then zooming off in the air on Braviary to do it all again in a different area... the game was a joy in your hands.

None of that tactile action-y fun is here (so far). Menu selections are mushy rather than crisp. You can throw your pokeball at wild pokemon, and it feels... crap. It's just another way of entering battle, and the aim is wonky. But then this is an RPG while PLA was more action focused. I'm just saying it's noticeable.

Really appreciating your down to earth and detailed view, based on my previous Pokémon experiences this seems to be heading towards my Sword/Shield experience (which I dropped halfway) I still hope the open world experience manages to captivate me in a way.

Okay, yeah, I can understand that. Different focuses and all that. I'm curious to see how it'll feel in practice for me since I don't mind the slower pace of the more RPG-focused titles.

This is giving PLA too much credit. The beginning of that game is the absolute drag people say Sun and Moon’s opening is.

5 hours in and this is comfortably the best Pokémon experience I’ve had in 10-20+ years. I hated Sw/Sh which makes this even sweeter.

The Switch struggles to render anything in the distance, but everything up close is beautiful.

This is the Pokémon game I dreamt of as a kid, and does a lot of things better than Arceus so far.
framerate?

I feel like asking for impressions is kind of a mistake.

We're eight days from launch, we're getting impressions from people who is playing an unreleased, unpatched game by questionable means, and some of what we're going to get is... imprecise at best.

We should have learned something from the Sonic Frontiers mini debacle, wich first impressions came from people playing an emulated copy, wich resulted in a glitchfest with unstable performance.

And to add insult to injury, we risk getting someone trying to create a narrative, and god knows how easy is to create a bad narrative around a game a lot of people wants to be bad or fail (Again, look at Sonic Frontiers or, for fucks sake, this is Pokémon we're talking about, even a sizeable portion of the fanbase wants the games to crash and burn)

We're eight days from launch, we're getting impressions from people who is playing an unreleased, unpatched game by questionable means, and some of what we're going to get is... imprecise at best.

We should have learned something from the Sonic Frontiers mini debacle, wich first impressions came from people playing an emulated copy, wich resulted in a glitchfest with unstable performance.

And to add insult to injury, we risk getting someone trying to create a narrative, and god knows how easy is to create a bad narrative around a game a lot of people wants to be bad or fail (Again, look at Sonic Frontiers or, for fucks sake, this is Pokémon we're talking about, even a sizeable portion of the fanbase wants the games to crash and burn)
I think there are two topics there :

- Like you mentionned early impressions from people with the game. Those should indeed be taken with a grain of salt for the reasons you mentionned.

- impressions from the datamining and general content of the game. That can be a valuable ressource, especially since GF is taking a show-less approach with their games. It gives an idea on whether the game answers some of the structure concerns and if there are a lot of good content left to discover.

goodness I need to play PLA again. it's basically a masterpiece imo.

Yup. I've seen people complaining that its running at 15 frames on emulated copies and I'm like why the rush, the game releases in a week lol. I think wanting to experience something first has made people lose the sense of enjoyment games bring.

This reminded me of a "rant" of someone calling pokemon games souless and that their devs don't put heart into the games because their favorite franchise sold a tenth of a pokemon game. For some reason this franchise (not the only one) has given, now adults, ptsd and you only hear "when pokemon was good" statements all the time. Sadly this cycle will continue. Excited for next Friday lol.

If anyone finds some good or detailed previews that they would like to share I'd appreciate it,that would certainly make the wait more bearable 😁

Only thing I'd like to know from leaks right now is if the post game content is more like pre 3DS or post 3DS.

Only thing I'd like to know from leaks right now is if the post game content is more like pre 3DS or post 3DS.

Post-3DS from the looks of it, though it's a bit early to call for real. No frontier or anything.

I’m feeling the hype now. Especially since I only know a few Pokemon designs. Will be fun seeing what crazy new mons are out there in Paldea.

My interest in a pokemon game falls on these:
  • How cool the campaign is (not a lot of handholding, backtracking or sleep inducing difficulty)
  • The designs of the new pokemon
  • Quality of the postgame and single player competitive (dont care for online myself)

I feel like I'm playing dodgeball while trying to avoid things on Reddit/Twitter/Youtube but so far I only have seen some text bits without context. So it is kinda doable without going on complete social media blackout (so far) 7 days to go!

How is the grind?

I pre-ordered the game yesterday, it expected to be delivered until 12/02. Until then, I'm going to finish a few games to prepare the terrain.

Preloading from the E-Shop has begun (in the EU atleast)!!! Aaah I'm so excited!! We're so close yet so far awaaay!

I also got a promotional code alongside it, but I feel like I'll end up forgetting to redeem it by the time the game is released LOL.

Preloading from the E-Shop has begun (in the EU atleast)!!! Aaah I'm so excited!! We're so close yet so far awaaay!

I also got a promotional code alongside it, but I feel like I'll end up forgetting to redeem it by the time the game is released LOL.

It would only be fair if Amazon and other retailers would also "pre-ship" preordered physical copies now!

;D

All gyms done. Plenty more fun to be had.

Hard not to gush about this game, honestly. It's stuck on aging hardware, but it punches well above it's weight.

First good pokemon game since 1996. Y'all in for a real treat.

Which is better Arceus or the new ones? Never played a Pokemon exception for Go

Depends on what you want.

Arceus is more of a spin-off and does lack some parts that mainline Pokemon games usually have. Also plays a bit different.

ScarVio, while being a big modernization for mainline Pokemon, is still a classic Pokemon RPG incl. gym fights and so on.

I made a simple wallpaper for my phone, my photoshopping skills are very poor but I'm sharing here anyway, feel free to grab it :)

Novo-Projeto-2-1.png

Depends what you're looking for. Legends is more of a Pokemon catching simulator. Combat takes a back seat, which is for the best because the battling in Legends is atrocious and slapdash

This one thankfully brings us back to the traditional combat system, which is a huge boon for it. It's losing some of the improvements from Legends, but should feel more like a complete game

And now we wait. I spoiled myself on the dex and stats and planned out a team, but I don’t want to see any story or character spoilers. So I’m back in non-spoiler town for a week.

Depends what you're looking for. Legends is more of a Pokemon catching simulator. Combat takes a back seat, which is for the best because the battling in Legends is atrocious and slapdash

This one thankfully brings us back to the traditional combat system, which is a huge boon for it. It's losing some of the improvements from Legends, but should feel more like a complete game
What makes you say that the battling in Arceus was atrocious and slapdash?

I felt like it certainly flowed better that most pokemon games (including Scarlet), and you could see the turn order and affect it, which was great. The opponent being able to sometimes take two turns in a row and perhaps KO two of your pokemon added an exhilarating sense of jeopardy that's sorely needed in Pokemon. As someone who has wanted the way the turn order and speed stat works in pokemon changed for a long time, it wasn't perfect but it was a good first step. Multiple wild pokemon being able to join a fight was great, and also added a sense of threat to what are typically facile encounters.

I can see that it was an often inscrutable system, but what else was wrong with it?

Just to be candid, I'm hating returning to Scarlet's old system right now. No challenge whatsoever and it just flows so slowly.

Pretty well. I've only seen two Pokemon so far (which is how I found out leaks were happening), and someone sent me a vague description of one of the mons because it's based on one of my absolute favorite creatures and they didn't realize I was trying to avoid leaks.
I shouldn't have said anything, this morning I woke up and a Yu-Gi-Oh Twitter user I follow posted the starter evos without any of my muted words or spoiler-marked. So frustrating.

I felt like it certainly flowed better that most pokemon games (including Scarlet), and you could see the turn order and affect it, which was great. The opponent being able to sometimes take two turns in a row and perhaps KO two of your pokemon added an exhilarating sense of jeopardy that's sorely needed in Pokemon. As someone who has wanted the way the turn order and speed stat works in pokemon changed for a long time, it wasn't perfect but it was a good first step. Multiple wild pokemon being able to join a fight was great, and also added a sense of threat to what are typically facile encounters.

I can see that it was an often inscrutable system, but what else was wrong with it?

Just to be candid, I'm hating returning to Scarlet's old system right now. No challenge whatsoever and it just flows so slowly.
damn near getting party wiped by three stunkys was the highlight in difficulty for me

Arceus mixes action elements with the traditional turn based combat, which means some aspects of the traditional system were suppressed and other things were added. You might not like it because it's not the normal system, but from the perspective of someone who hasn't played a lot of Pokémon that would hardly be a problem, so calling it atrocious is very reductive of what the game intends to offer.

The traditional games are standard JRPGs plus the monster collecting factor. Scarlet and Violet add open world to the mix.

Arceus is a different spin on the formula, the focus is on exploration and finding/battling/catching every species of Pokémon. It has very large open areas and feels open world but is still segmented (like Monster Hunter). It's also mission based but the structure is very flexible, you can do everything at your own pace and if you decide to ignore the main mission for 10 hours you will still have LOT of interesting stuff to do. It has a few action elements, but it's very light, it's still turn based for the most part.

I think they're complimentary. I would recommend waiting for SV because they're so close and you can play with everyone, and if you like the game and would like to try a more raw and involved monster collecting experience, you can try Arceus.

The mainline games have infinitely more depth and an entire online battling community attached to it which would be pretty much dead if the PLA battle system became standarized.

The traditional Pokemon battle system shouldn't be messed with too much for that reason. But yes Scarlet/Violet being as absurdly easy as they are does make it kind of a slog.

If you just like collecting shit then it’s Arceus. If you like battling then it’s the new ones.

Arceus battles are terrible, not just because removing abilities and held items cuts out nearly all of the battle system’s depth besides spamming super effective moves, but the new strong/agile style are not optimal replacements. Often it just led to spamming agile moves or moves that raised the turn order, both for the player and wild Pokémon. There’s nothing fun getting an entire team swept by a Crobat because it can spam Air Slash 4 times in a row.

Then there’s just a lot of changes they made to make it “faster” then ends up just making it worse, such as being able to attack the moment you or your opponent switches Pokémon. Often during a trainer battle your Pokémon will have a type advantage against your opponent’s, but then they’ll switch Pokémon to one that gives them an advantage and immediately hit you with a supereffective move you couldn’t prepare for. Or the fact that all exp gains are after battle, which means that if you do a long battle and Pokemon faints during the end, they get 0 experience, even if they KO 5 Pokémon and dies to the opponent’s 6th.

Are battles faster? Sure. Are they engaging? Not at all. And the game knows this with how much it deemphasizes battles, with wild Pokémon being able to be caught without battles and there being very few trainers in the game. Maybe I’m biased as someone who plays competitive but if the Arceus battle system was adopted in mainline Pokémon games, it would effectively mean the end of competitive Pokémon. Most players would rather sacrifice speed if it meant the battles would still have depth.

The turn order is godawful. There's no PvP in that game for a reason

My Typhlosion beats Magnezone with a Fire move, okay, cool. Then my opponent sends out a Ground type and one-shots Typhlosion before I can even do anything. I have zero options to strategize, most trainer battles devolve into each side taking turns one-shotting each other. It's just bad design.

Switching out is sometimes completely safe, but you have no means of knowing when because the game doesn't tell you. This is not only stupid but also wildly unbalanced since faster Pokemon sometimes get the benefit of switching out and attacking for free, which is way too good (hence the lack of PvP, because that's way too abusable).

Legends doesn't have abilities or held items because they're not compatible with this unbalanced mess of a battle system, which strips the game of extra teambuilding options and severely nerfs Pokemon that benefit from their abilities, taking away so much depth

EDIT: Adding on to this, the turn order also completely invalidates defensive Pokemon. Mons like Ferrothorn and Toxapex are excellent because they can sponge hits for days and whittle opponents down with moves like Toxic and Leech Seed. That's their thing, that's what they're built for.

With the turn order, that entire niche is worthless because your Ferrothorn is just going to get one-shotted by a Fire move while you have no means to prevent it at all.

Last edited:
The turn order is godawful. There's no PvP in that game for a reason

My Typhlosion beats Magnezone with a Fire move, okay, cool. Then my opponent sends out a Ground type and one-shots Typhlosion before I can even do anything. I have zero options to strategize, most trainer battles devolve into each side taking turns one-shotting each other. It's just bad design.

Switching out is sometimes completely safe, but you have no means of knowing when because the game doesn't tell you. This is not only stupid but also wildly unbalanced since faster Pokemon sometimes get the benefit of switching out and attacking for free, which is way too good (hence the lack of PvP, because that's way too abusable).

Legends doesn't have abilities or held items because they're not compatible with this unbalanced mess of a battle system, which strips the game of extra teambuilding options and severely nerfs Pokemon that benefit from their abilities, taking away so much depth
I’ve been trying to think of ways to salvage Arceus’ battle system to maybe work in a mainline game. My ideas are:

1. Cap the amount of times anyone can move in a row to 2. No more 3-4 Air Slashes in a row.
2. Switching Pokémon uses up ALL of your turns. No more instant switch-in to attack BS.
3. EXP is once again earned after every Pokémon fainted rather than the end of the battle. Yeah people will whine that that makes the battles slower but that also keeps people’s time from being wasted when a Pokémon faints at the end of a long battle and gets 0 exp.
4. Bring back abilities and held items. Again, maybe someone will argue it makes the game slower but Arceus battles are desperately needing more depth.
5. Only wild Pokémon can double/triple/quadruple team you. It makes sense for wild Pokémon to gang up on you but is just cheap as hell when trainers can do that. Why can they send out 3 Pokémon at a time and I can’t?

That’s about all I can think of right now. I would still prefer to just play the traditional system with no turn order shenanigans but this will make it a lot more tolerable.

I’ve been trying to think of ways to salvage Arceus’ battle system to maybe work in a mainline game. My ideas are:

1. Cap the amount of times anyone can move in a row to 2. No more 3-4 Air Slashes in a row.
2. Switching Pokémon uses up ALL of your turns. No more instant switch-in to attack BS.
3. EXP is once again earned after every Pokémon fainted rather than the end of the battle. Yeah people will whine that that makes the battles slower but that also keeps people’s time from being wasted when a Pokémon faints at the end of a long battle and gets 0 exp.
4. Bring back abilities and held items. Again, maybe someone will argue it makes the game slower but Arceus battles are desperately needing more depth.
5. Only wild Pokémon can double/triple/quadruple team you. It makes sense for wild Pokémon to gang up on you but is just cheap as hell when trainers can do that. Why can they send out 3 Pokémon at a time and I can’t?

That’s about all I can think of right now. I would still prefer to just play the traditional system with no turn order shenanigans but this will make it a lot more tolerable.
Even just two turns in a row seems like way too much because like, how would Leftovers work on Pokemon that can attack twice in a row? And stacking, say, Choice items on two attacks sounds super busted. What about Speed Boost or, god forbid, Moody?

The turn order just isn't compatible with the prexisting system imo. They'll need to stick with the OG or come up with something totally new (which I really don't want)

I think the best way to improve the current system would be to make Double Battles far, far more common. But it's obvious that's never gonna happen

Even just two turns in a row seems like way too much because like, how would Leftovers work on Pokemon that can attack twice in a row? And stacking, say, Choice items on two attacks sounds super busted. What about Speed Boost or, god forbid, Moody?

The turn order just isn't compatible with the prexisting system imo. They'll need to stick with the OG or come up with something totally new (which I really don't want)

I think the best way to improve the current system would be to make Double Battles far, far more common. But it's obvious that's never gonna happen
Maybe they can treat it like Megas where if you have a held item you can’t change turn order? Though that still doesn’t account for abilities like Speed Boost…

I’m really trying here lmao. This turn order stuff just does not work for me.

All of this talk about how good Pokemon's traditional battle system is makes it all the more insane to me they removed set style from the campaign lmao.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom