• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be Electric only because Future=Digital=Electric to be fair
Yeah @MarcelRguez mentioned it too and Dragon/Electric is not a common combination with only 3 Pokémon having it (Zekrom, Mega Ampharos and Dracozolt).

The only Dragon/Rock combination is the Tyrunt line.

Kinda over Dragon legendaries, so I'm gonna go for something that I'll probably be completely wrong about: Electric/Steel and Rock/Fighting.
The only Electric/Steel pokemon are the Magnemite line and Togedemaru, certainly an interesting combination with 11 resistances and 1 immunity.
Terrakion is the only other Rock/Fighting combination, but it’s not good with 7 weaknesses to at least 4 common attacking types. Well maybe a BST of 680 will help.

It's funny, I was watching the trailer in bed without the sound, and when they started showing the professors and rivals with big text boxes on the screen, I went, oh shit, did they add voice acting?
Nope.
VA is such a boost to a game’s presentation, that I can’t understand why they don’t want to add it to their games when even Zelda did it.

Positives:
  • New character style/shading. I know some people don't like the change, but I find it a solid improvement. Haven't seen enough of the trainers or gym leaders (?) to comment on the overall designs.
  • Open-world visuals. I've also seen more than one person say this looks worse than Sword and Shield and I don't see it. Sword and Shield had select areas with a fixed camera that I enjoyed, but countless others, still with fixed cameras, that pretty crude. And don't get me started on the base game's Wild Area. What we have here looks pretty cohesive honestly.

Negatives:
  • Performance. Despite this being a curated trailer, there's framerate issues all over. Here's hoping we can get a revision soon - I don't even want changes to the design, just rock solid resolution and framerate.
  • Why no voice acting yet again? I'm positive they've discussed it behind the scenes many a time and continue to reject it, I just wish we knew why. Production values around the story were horrendous for Sword and Shield. Getting the feeling like nothing's going to change there.

Questions:
  • I don't recall Sword Shield having crouching. How much of the Arceus gameplay do we expect to find it's way in here? Will we be able to throw Pokeballs at weak enemies without engaging in battle?
  • 4 player online multiplayer? Can I do co-op battling with a friend, or are we expected to mostly just run around and do our own things?

We have plenty of time before launch, but I'm tentatively pretty interested.

My guess for legendary types:
Koraidon: Ancient
Miraidon: Cosmic

That's right, new types! I'm tired of the bullshit that is forcing fossil pokémon to be Rock pokémon while not a single cell in their bodies are made of rocks. Make em all Ancient.

Cosmic speaks for itself. There are more than 30 existent space related pokémon to adopt this new typing.

I haven’t seen the question asked here yet but does anyone want to take a guess on how the 4-player online co-op works?

More specifically, if I have Violet and my friend has Scarlet, what does that mean in terms of version-exclusive Pokémon? Do we think that one player will have to “host” and the other players will have to join their game (Scarlet) and will only be able to catch Scarlet-version exclusives while in the open area?

Definitely not a fan of any of the Pokémon revealed today. Lechonk is a god tier name though.

i think the trees are fine?

trees in swsh were ugly and dated, but more than that they just didn’t fit. especially so against the other interactive types of trees.

what I’ve seen here looks varied and suits the rest of the world design pretty well. the leaf textures could use improvement but so could the rest of the game

Last edited:
I do wonder if the lack of VA is just due to not having time, though time may be irrelevant.
It don't think we will ever get voice acting in a Pokémon game. But that's probably for the best, I can't imagine anime dubbing in a mainline Pokémon game. If we got something like the voices in Pokémon Masters it would probably get really annoying and bad really fast.

Though I'd like all Pokémon to say their names like in the anime and they can just store all the recordings in a data-base to re-use. I always liked Pokémon saying their names in their speech.

This is the professor people have the hots for?

Ayla_Chrono.png

I'm not seeing the appeal personally.

I haven’t seen the question asked here yet but does anyone want to take a guess on how the 4-player online co-op works?

More specifically, if I have Violet and my friend has Scarlet, what does that mean in terms of version-exclusive Pokémon? Do we think that one player will have to “host” and the other players will have to join their game (Scarlet) and will only be able to catch Scarlet-version exclusives while in the open area?
I would imagine that trading will probably continue to be the easiest/most direct way of obtaining version exclusives versus setting up a co-op session, but there's so little information right now that it's hard to even speculate.

I do wonder if the lack of VA is just due to not having time, though time may be irrelevant.
Probably a combination of that & budget. My guess is they don’t wanna have to search for VA’s if they disentangle it from the anime or try to find impersonators if they don’t wanna have to renegotiate the anime VAs contract.
Though I'd like all Pokémon to say their names like in the anime and they can just store all the recordings in a data-base to re-use. I always liked Pokémon saying their names in their speech.
Honestly would probably be more grating.
This is the professor people have the hots for?

Ayla_Chrono.png

I'm not seeing the appeal personally.
No it’s Professor Brotherhood of Steel
Pokemon-Turo.jpg

Nah they just don't care to invest in it.

I liked pretty much all of what I saw except for the crusty graphics, but that's something we already know about by now.

I feel like the fidelity and general art style is definitely better than SWSH, I remember cringing at that game's first reveal.

It's hard to weigh in until we see more and get a general idea of the game's structure, but I'm not sure open world is what I want out of Pokemon. That said, if the alternative was SWSH's incredibly paper thin campaign, I guess I'll take this.

Also they better not give us monotype starters again.

Excellent. Truly excellent.

I've been listening to the Deltarune soundtrack a lot lately, and... I think it might be better than Undertale? Or maybe just more consistent. Every track is a banger, Undertale might have higher highs though

I definitely still have reservations about this going full open world. Pokémon desperately needed to be more open, but not necessarily that open. We'll just have to see how the execution ends up being. Also, if there isn't a level 80 alpha Darmanitan roaming whatever the early game field area is, that will be a huge missed opportunity.

The new Pokémon and character designs are looking good. For the professors, I prefer Sada, but Miraidon is probably the better box legend. The presentation also seems to be copying from Legends in all the right ways, based on what we've seen so far.

It is interesting just how little this trailer showed, though. It gives me some hope (but not that much) that there actually might not be a big battle gimmick that's just going to be thrown away immediately this time, but it's too early to tell.

Ugh there’s gonna be version exclusives

That’s another thing I loved about PLA. I was able to complete a living dex all by myself, with one game

tenor.gif

I'm really excited to hear his music for the game! His work in Undertale and Deltarune is great. Would be neat if he did something using compressed vocal samples like Big Shot.

I kinda hope they fund a Toby Fox-led Mother 4. Nintendo's preference for contracting outside development as opposed to studio purchases would seem to be perfectly suited for this effort.

Let this man make Earthbound Nintendo.

I really, really don't think this will or should happen. Earthbound is Itoi's series, and I don't think anyone should make it but him. Toby's work is great but it's not the same as Itoi's. He's very obviously taken inspiration from Itoi, but he's gone and made something unique with that inspiration. Just like how I wouldn't want someone else stepping in and making their own "Undertale 2", I wouldn't want someone else going and making a Mother 4.

Itoi chose to end the series with 3, and that's okay. Sometimes it's okay for a franchise to end.

Sword Shield story and story segment production values were a dog's breakfast. If they weren't going to improve on all that, then at least being completely open allows them to shed some of those expectations. I also think the model fits Pokemon - it's been brought up countless times before that canonically we should be able to choose the gym order, and now we have it.

I assume this means level scaling though. I read that the SwSh DLC has level scaling - did that end up working ok?

Sword Shield story and story segment production values were a dog's breakfast. If they weren't going to improve on all that, then at least being completely open allows them to shed some of those expectations. I also think the model fits Pokemon - it's been brought up countless times before that canonically we should be able to choose the gym order, and now we have it.

I assume this means level scaling though. I read that the SwSh DLC has level scaling - did that end up working ok?
SS's level scaling was the same level scaling in the base game. it didn't affect anything much but the wild area, isle of armor, and crown tundra. don't know if it affected the actual fights as I played them in the post game

They had two sets of levels for the Isle of Armor. Enemies were in the 10s-20s if you hadn't finished the main game, 60s if you had.

Crown Tundra is always in the 60s, so the speedrun route that allows DLC goes there at the start of the game to get an overleveled main.

Reading your comments I have to agree that the lack of VA is baffling. Two steps forward, one step back with Pokémon.

Anyone here also thinks that Koraidon will be Fire/Dragon and Miraidon will be Dark/Dragon?

I don't think there is anything step back from lack of VA considering pokemon never had VA at all. It is mostly walking on same spot for 20+ years on VA lol.

Definitely not a fan of any of the Pokémon revealed today. Lechonk is a god tier name though.

Yeah me neither, really. They're fine, and lechonk is cute, but they scream "early area pokemon that you'll ditch by like level 15 and half forget about by the end of the game".

Although if you're including the legendaries, there I disagree. I like them both more than Sw/Sh, and Miraidon might be one of my favorite legends of all time. I love the look and color scheme.

I definitely still have reservations about this going full open world. Pokémon desperately needed to be more open, but not necessarily that open. We'll just have to see how the execution ends up being. Also, if there isn't a level 80 alpha Darmanitan roaming whatever the early game field area is, that will be a huge missed opportunity.

The new Pokémon and character designs are looking good. For the professors, I prefer Sada, but Miraidon is probably the better box legend. The presentation also seems to be copying from Legends in all the right ways, based on what we've seen so far.

It is interesting just how little this trailer showed, though. It gives me some hope (but not that much) that there actually might not be a big battle gimmick that's just going to be thrown away immediately this time, but it's too early to tell.
I wish we could get Pokemon like Legends of Arceus.. It makes so much more sense since it's open world--and a true one.

It will be interesting how it will play out. I imagine your Pokemon levels will scale up no matter where you go, and likely depending on number of badges or something. Pokemon's story hasn't been the greatest, but I wonder this will play out. Hopefully not too fragmented like Botw.

Hope the rumour about the legendaries being rideable like ORAS is true. I wanna ride my futuristic motorcycle lizard through the Spanish wilderness.

I should play his games one day cause I’m always fascinated by his popularity.
Undertale is an experience for sure, I am happy I later came back to Undertale after initially dropping it at the starting area. The way Toby weaves a story togather and tops it off with killer music and styled visuals that really fit the theme well is top notch. (Or was that Temmie?)
Allow yourself the one time in a lifetime experience!

I'm not gonna lie, this pushed me over the line from "I don't know if i need another Pokémon after Let's Go!/Shield/Arceus" to "I WILL BUY THIS!" ;)

I don't think there is anything step back from lack of VA considering pokemon never had VA at all. It is mostly walking on same spot for 20+ years on VA lol.
It's a step back because as you increase fidelity, it becomes more and more jarring that there isn't VA. Pokémon might not have had VA for 20 years but it didn't look like this all this time. We're definitely gonna get another Rose/Piers .oment, you can count on that

Funny enough, in the spanish version Prof.Sada will be called Albora, which is a bit more literal but loses a bit of the naming wink with Fu(Turo) Pa(Sado)
Prof. Turo stays the same... and Nemona is called Mencía (i dont know why they changed her but...)

Last edited:
The step back is that the games are being designed as if there's voice acting, but then not even attempting to abstract the sounds coming out of characters' mouths. Not having voice acting is fine. Having a cutscene where a character is singing without any attempt to represent the vocals (which is something Sword and Shield actually did) is just plain bad. I'd be perfectly satisfied with no voice acting at all if the game's presentation properly accounted for it.

Last edited:
It's a step back because as you increase fidelity, it becomes more and more jarring that there isn't VA. Pokémon might not have had VA for 20 years but it didn't look like this all this time. We're definitely gonna get another Rose/Piers .oment, you can count on that

They should just make it goes like VN and make character portraits talk lol. Cheaper and 0 VA needed.

The step back is that the games are being designed as of there's voice acting, but then not even attempting to abstract the sounds coming out of characters' mouths. Not having voice acting is fine. Having a cutscene where a character is singing without any attempt to represent the vocals (which is something Sword and Shield actually did) is just plain bad. I'd be perfectly satisfied with no voice acting at all if the game's presentation properly accounted for it.

Ahh. I remember how Hau keep acting like he talks but no voice pop out lol.

It is literally that Spongebob meme. "Imagination"

I can't get over the fact that, although it is Pokemon Spain, they have decided to change the name of the game for the spanish localization - it's not Pokémon Violet, but Pokémon Purple. Why tho?
Wouldnt be surprised if it was decided by the localisation team that violet is an obscure word and that purple is more recognisable.

I atleast know that in my language (no that isnt spanish) the equivalent of Scarlet is rarely if never used and i wouldnt be surprised if people didnt know it was a colour. However people do know violet tho...

I can't get over the fact that, although it is Pokemon Spain, they have decided to change the name of the game for the spanish localization - it's not Pokémon Violet, but Pokémon Purple. Why tho?
There are a lot (and I do mean a lot) of possible reasons, but the one that jumps out to me as a translator is that púrpura is similar to escarlata in that they're both words derived from medieval Latin, whereas violeta derives from French (violette).

Wouldnt be surprised if it was decided by the localisation team that violet is an obscure word and that purple is more recognisable.

I atleast know that in my language (no that isnt spanish) the equivalent of Scarlet is rarely if never used and i wouldnt be surprised if people didnt know it was a colour. However people do know violet tho...
I thought this could be the reason too, but if I'm not mistaken morado is the more widespread term across all Spanish dialects, while violeta skews LatAm. Púrpura sounds less common than either to me, which could very well be reason enough to pick it for neutrality reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom