• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on a media blackout for this game, but I'm curious about one thing: do we know if the caves are procedurally generated?

Pikmin 2 is by far my least favorite of the bunch because I thought those caves were quite dull, so I'm hoping Pikmin 4 is fully handcrafted.

I am sad to report that there were over 400 music files datamined from the demo, and it does not get any more substantial than what we've already heard. Game might as well not even have a soundtrack. Man.

So what are people thinking for the sales potential for this game?

I feel like 4 million by the end of the year would be absolutely phenomenal, but it's hard to gauge. I've seen many people new to Pikmin trying out the series lately which is beautiful. Shadowdropping 1 + 2 for cheaper than the average release was a smart move to get people excited I think. And a great demo for 4 helps as well! It's great to see the series finally getting the spotlight it deserves.
I would say 5mil. They actually seem to be pushing and trying to expand the series at lot more than with 3 deluxe.

I have been on a media blackout for this game, but I'm curious about one thing: do we know if the caves are procedurally generated?

Pikmin 2 is by far my least favorite of the bunch because I thought those caves were quite dull, so I'm hoping Pikmin 4 is fully handcrafted.

I'm not certain, but the caves in the demo definitely have a hand-crafted feel to them in their design, being more puzzle oriented.

caves in 4 feel like the pikmin version of shrines from botw/totk mostly being puzzle-oriented so I feel very confident their handcrafted

They seem to have a set layout. All the footage I've seen of them looks identical to my playthrough of the demo, which makes sense, since the progression through each floor is too complicated to really work with randomly generated layouts. Though in return they seem to have also made them much shorter.

I feel like 4 million by the end of the year would be absolutely phenomenal, but it's hard to gauge. I've seen many people new to Pikmin trying out the series lately which is beautiful. Shadowdropping 1 + 2 for cheaper than the average release was a smart move to get people excited I think. And a great demo for 4 helps as well! It's great to see the series finally getting the spotlight it deserves.

It's outpacing pikmin 3 deluxe in Jp by a lot which is a milion seller.
With big growth in japan and a small growth in the rest of the world it would easily do 3mil+ and i could see it go to 4mil+. This is the best time for the series to break out.

The demo is great. And very meaty too!! I still haven't finished it and I've been playing like an hour per day since it came(only skipped a day or two but the first time I played more time). Great looking AF. I hope it gets praise for its graphics because it's a technical achievement. Also, I wasn't expecting the game to be that packed. I mean, a lot of cutscenes and dialogue, caves, areas, and everything being very huge.

Will try to rent it at launch!!! Anyone that played 3 can tell me if 1 or 2 weeks is enough to finish the story?

I think 4M is feasible. 3 DX did more than 2M and that got nowhere near the big marketing push that 4 is getting. It's also releasing on the sweet spot of being the first big game releasing after TotK which surely made a lot of people get a Switch or get back to playing Switch games. The demo will do it much good too, since it's very meaty and quite shows what the game is about in a brilliant way.

...is this sarcasm?
No, I'm saying that despite the sheer number of tracks (though a lot of them are probably layers to add percussion or something), pretty much none of it is any more melodic or musically substantial than Sun-Speckled Terrace's theme. The music in the demo is so sparse and unnoticeable it might as well not be there, outside of the themes and jingles reprised from past Pikmin games. I saw some people hoping it'd pick up a bit once you leave the first area and the "real" game starts, but the datamined stuff is not any different. It's still possible that this isn't all of it or that some of them could at least be layered together into something thicker like The Distant Spring theme when played in-game, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Finally tried this demo and I’m a bit stuck in the main area. I can’t get the Yellow Onion since it’s too high up and I can’t progress in the cave because Oatchi is too small to break anything. I assume I need to make Oatchi bigger somehow?

No, I'm saying that despite the sheer number of tracks (though a lot of them are probably layers to add percussion or something), pretty much none of it is any more melodic or musically substantial than Sun-Speckled Terrace's theme. The music in the demo is so sparse and unnoticeable it might as well not be there, outside of the themes and jingles reprised from past Pikmin games. I saw some people hoping it'd pick up a bit once you leave the first area and the "real" game starts, but the datamined stuff is not any different. It's still possible that this isn't all of it or that some of them could at least be layered together into something thicker like The Distant Spring theme when played in-game, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
no way the Mario Kart 8 composer gonna let us down

Finally tried this demo and I’m a bit stuck in the main area. I can’t get the Yellow Onion since it’s too high up and I can’t progress in the cave because Oatchi is too small to break anything. I assume I need to make Oatchi bigger somehow?
This might sound stupid, but did you actually use the charge feature (holding X) to try and break the thing with Oatchi?

no way the Mario Kart 8 composer gonna let us down
Wait, do we know anything about who's composing this? It didn't really sound like any of the past Pikmin composers to me at a cursory listen. Maybe one of them in a minor role doing menus and stuff, at most. If Atsuko Asahi went from Plasm Wraith to this, that'd be the biggest fall from grace I'd ever heard. Well, okay, maybe not worse than Kenta Nagata going from Dragon Roost Island to New Super Mario Bros. 2, but a close second.

This might sound stupid, but did you actually use the charge feature (holding X) to try and break the thing with Oatchi?
Ok it worked lol. I think I just directed Oatchi at the pot and one of the captains said it wasn’t working so I thought you couldn’t progress. Dumb mistake but this game’s controls are a lot to remember.

I gave this a try and was honestly just not finding it very engaging, it felt very slow, very hand-holdy, controls weren't gelling, etc. I played Pikmin 1 & 3 back in the day and only got half way through them (or less) before dropping them, so was feeling like the franchise just wasn't for me. But after deciding to just push through to the end of the demo, the last 90mins or so really clicked with me. I was finally set free to explore, and just started feeling really satisfying, particularly the caves. Solving the puzzles, growing my pikmin numbers, collecting treasures, levelling stuff up. The demo worked! And it being so meaty and long was definitely a good call.

Wait, do we know anything about who's composing this? It didn't really sound like any of the past Pikmin composers to me at a cursory listen. Maybe one of them in a minor role doing menus and stuff, at most. If Atsuko Asahi went from Plasm Wraith to this, that'd be the biggest fall from grace I'd ever heard. Well, okay, maybe not worse than Kenta Nagata going from Dragon Roost Island to New Super Mario Bros. 2, but a close second.
Sound Director
Mitsuhiro Kida

Music Lead
Kenta Nagata

Music
Asuka Hayazaki
Soshi Abe

Sound Design Lead
Taiyo Furukawa

Sound Director
Mitsuhiro Kida

Music Lead
Kenta Nagata

Music
Asuka Hayazaki
Soshi Abe

Sound Design Lead
Taiyo Furukawa
Huh. I would guess the stuff that sounds similar to Pikmin 3 like the end of day variations is Hayazaki, most of the new stuff is Soshi Abe, and Kenta Nagata didn't necessarily compose anything himself, especially being an older composer at Nintendo with how they tend to just supervise most of the time. But I could see it going the other way with him being really hands on I suppose, the direction here actually isn't super far from some Mario Kart 64 tracks. There's plenty of stuff here like Banshee Boardwalk or DK's Jungle Parkway that's basically just a bunch of percussion. I feel like he's always been one of the more hit or miss classic Nintendo composers.

IGN uploaded 20 minutes of gameplay footage of the 2nd region, and the song accompanying it sounds much more developed than Sun-Speckled Terrace's theme to me.

personally i never noticed pikmin music, so its not going to be a loss.

Although it doesnt helps that soshi abe of all people is composing this lmao

personally i never noticed pikmin music, so its not going to be a loss.

Although it doesnt helps that soshi abe of all people is composing this lmao

Pikmin 2 had some very striking cave music and I was hoping 4 would try to emulate it, but all the promotional footage I've seen depicts caves with the same empty background noise track recycled over and over. I'm crossing my fingers that this improves later in the game.

Will try to rent it at launch!!! Anyone that played 3 can tell me if 1 or 2 weeks is enough to finish the story?
Pikmin 3 is a very short game, you can probably beat it in just one weekend! So 1 or 2 weeks should be plenty. You can probably even fit in another playthrough to see if you can beat your score

IGN uploaded 20 minutes of gameplay footage of the 2nd region, and the song accompanying it sounds much more developed than Sun-Speckled Terrace's theme to me.
It's got more than one instrument, that's for sure! Sounds pleasant enough, although it pretty much just feels like Garden of Hope without the melody.

More importantly though, oh my god, they're dropping enemies from the ceiling in caves again!

The demo was really fun! I've decided to not bother with prolonging the experience so I've completed it fairly quickly, but I'm sold. Only seen a Let's Play of Pikmin 1 which, while fun, seemed janky, but this one level was incredible.

I hope this is less linear than 3… how much the demo gives you access to right off the bat makes me hopeful!
Yes this is what I'm hoping for as well, and it looks like we're in luck! 3 only really opened up once you got to the Tropical Wilds again which is pretty much 1/3th into the game. Faster freedom would be great for replayability as well

Weird how this game is a full reboot despite keeping the numbering

I'm hoping that Nintendo has big plans for the series going forward, and that's why they wanted a fresh start with this one

the demo did a great job for me. I've never played a pikmin game and honestly very little interest in it. tried and finished the demo and immediately preordered. It was so much fun to play.

I'm hoping that Nintendo has big plans for the series going forward, and that's why they wanted a fresh start with this one
clearly to help new players when the Pikmin movie comes out/s

And my first play-through of the demo is complete!

70% completion, 2841 sparkllium didn't quite squeeze in all I set out to on the final day (and forgot to hold off on delivering treasure to not break 1500) - but was happy doing what I got distracted by lol.

I wrote a ton of thoughts down as I played... but I'm about to cook dinner and then spend the night downloading + diving into 1+2 HD :)

Do we know this for sure yet?

Also, it wouldn’t necessarily be a “full reboot”—it could just be an alternate timeline, much like Zelda, Pokémon, Star Fox, and other Nintendo series have done. It doesn’t make previous games non-canon or anything.

it's probably not a hard reboot given what we know now from the leaks, but it's definitely a little hands off with referencing the older games because it's trying to be a jumping in point for new players

I've heard it references the events of 3, but I'm a little dubious because of how odd that would be with the way this plot has been treated.

Whether or not it's functionally a reboot though, I feel like it doesn't change much. They've pretty much left the universe's lore alone, so we're not missing out on any revelations in favor of starting from square one; and putting Olimar into a rehash of Pikmin 1 is lame either way. It was literally what Arzest did, come on.

It's definitely at least a soft reboot though, I got the sense it was intended as a real relaunch of the series. The broad strokes of the gameplay has been preserved to the same extent as always, but just about everything else has been changed. It's been a long time since 3, but I don't recall it feeling nearly as drastically different or as ambitious in its design.

The demo was really interesting because it was basically a metroidvania. Pikmin has always locked certain things behind certain Pikmin colors, but that was a really secondary aspect of the series in the past, you unlocked new stuff this way at most four times across the entire game. There is way more emphasis now on overcoming obstacles with new abilities. They've added more options for some obstacles too. It used to be very 1:1. You needed Blue Pikmin for water, period. Winged Pikmin in 3 could cross water and carry things over it, which let them do a little more with water in the level design than in the past, but in 4 it just exploded. You can freeze the water with enough Ice Pikmin to allow other types to cross, Ice Pikmin can safely float across, Oatchi can learn to swim and carry Pikmin across the water, and you still have Blue and Winged Pikmin on top of that, all of these options with their own pros and cons. It's crazy involved!

The way they limit your types, your total count, your ability to produce more of a color; they were really interested in providing a lot of restrictions to make things interesting this time around and keep you constantly unlocking ways past new obstacles. At the same time, it also seems more flexible in how you progress and overcome obstacles than ever before too. I'm really curious if and how they can keep this up for the entire game, or if it will at some point level off and become a more traditional Pikmin experience.

Pikmin types and area count SPECULATION from what's in the demo - So if you look at Olimar's voyage log in the tablet menu you'll notice that each entry is numbered. But there are gaps in the numbering. The Red Pikmin entry is #15 and yellow blue and ice follow that (ice is #18). But then there's 5 missing entries before #24 (Flarlic). Assuming they are the remaining pikmin types, that's purple, white, rock, winged and glow. So no more unannounced pikmin presumably.
Then there's 6 entries, one for each cave in Sun-Speckled Terrace, and a gap of 12 entries before #57 (Sniffer Extraordinaire). So there's no more than 12 caves before Olimar's account finishes. However I've counted at least 3, maybe 4, more areas to travel to.

Is it me, or does Pikmin 4 appear to be pulling a "Brian's Winter" of sorts? Have people heard of that book?

(Brian's Winter was a "what-if" sequel to the eternal middle-school required reading novel, Hatchet, where a kid has to survive the Canadian wilderness by himself for one summer after his plan crashes. Basically, people kept writing letters to the author about the ending with him finding a radio and getting rescued, so the writer eventually did a sequel where they explicitly say: "Here's what would have happened if the radio didn't pan out and he got stuck there during the winter."

To be fair, the demo seems to retcon a few things from Pikmin 1, but none of them seem to be really important to the premise. Basically its: Olimar wasn't able to escape despite finding all the parts, so he got Pikminized. But, in Pikmin 1, he does send out a distress beacon, so here's what happens when the rescuer's show up."

Overall, demo was a lot of fun. Definitely seems to suggest a much more substantial adventure than the previous three. I don’t want to jump the gun too soon but this feels like the series’ ALttP or SMB3 moment where the previous entries were moreso proofs of concept establishing core game mechanics and world. Meanwhile this entry fully fleshed it out and turns it into a massive new game.

Partway through day 3, just surpassed 1500 Sparklium (which I believe results in the end of the demo once the day ends? I've just jumped in a 3rd cave regardless just before the end of the day so I'll finish that then that's that I guess) and let's get the obvious out of the way first. Maaaaaan there is a lot of redundant text. It's especially weird as the very opening section with Olimar basically has as much complexity as where I am now on day 3 and there wasn't a hundred text boxes before then. Let's just hope they run out of things to redundantly explain soon? Either way especially for Pikmin four there really should be a 'I have played Pikmin before, I know what I'm doing' option to at least get rid of some redundancy...

That aside the experience has been fantastic. I made a comment earlier ITT about how it looked like in the Direct this will be the biggest and most ambitious Pikmin game to date and it's living up to that expectation so far. It's a great blend of what made the first 3 games so appealing at their core (granted they all had unique mechanics/approaches that aren't see here so far such as the isolation of the first game or the multi captain experience of 3) whilst adding in so much and being really pretty to boot.

I'm not too bothered about making sure I 100% the demo or whatever since I'm halfway through Fire Emblem 7 and Ghost Trick and am playing Jedi Survivor and Like a Dragon Ishin on PS5 but whichever of those I still haven't finished will be dropped to make room for this on the 21st for sure. Just as excited for this as I was for Zelda which is saying something.

Played the demo last weekend and that was great! Controls felt really weird at the beginning, when you played every game of the series and especially Wii ports and/or Pikmin 3 with the Wii remote, you can tell they nerfed the aiming so bad and I thought that was a bit frustrating. But after some time on the demo I managed to get used to those and that was cool. Full game seems a lot of fun with all the new additions and I can't wait for the release. I still have a few concerns, in particular about game's length, but it feels great that Nintendo pulled such a cool new entry for Pikmin.

I was trying to fight with myself to not buying Pikmin 1+2 on eshop (since i'm already buying it physical in september), but I couldn't wait any longer with all the hype. Completed Pikmin 1 (my favorite game of all time) and currently playing Pikmin 2. Might even replay Pikmin 3 Deluxe before 4's release. I'm so glad Pikmin is back in top form.

I never played 1&2, and actively disliked games in which you have to simultaneously control multiple characters, so I'm excited to try the new camera + the dog.

I enjoyed the demo a lot. Finished it in a sitting. I was on the fence a bit before playing this, as I found 3 deluxe a bit lacking after playing three on the TV with the wiimote while managing stuff on the wii U screen. That was still the ultimate wii U experience for me. But this was a lot of fun, and already has a lot of extra complexity.

I played through the demo, not really holding back on the 1500, so it was over quick and I missed lots of stuff. I was a little disappointed that Mission Mode didn't appear to be returning, but after watching one of my kids play through and try to do everything possible, it looks like the Dandori challenges are essentially the exact same thing as Mission Mode, just weaved into the Story and unlocked more naturally as you play through the game. Is that everyone else's impression?

If so, that is great, because I really enjoyed trying to get Platinum on all of the Mission Mode stages. Hopefully there is a good variety to them, and they don't all use the same indoor aesthetic that the demo one uses. I need my pikmin pizza... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom