• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this the first piece of pikmin promotional material to not feature a single Pikmin lol…..

some neat new images and clips on the website linked above. there’s a baseball being carried in one screenshot with a logo on it that really looks to me like that of the Chiba Lotte Marines—seeming more likely that there actually will be some licensed objects again

image.png
Taken from the Direct speculation thread: the Japanese site says there's two more trailers coming including one for the dog and one for "rescue tips".

Imagine waiting god knows how long for Pikmin 4, thinking about the characters you're gonna control this time and making theories and stuff, just to get hit with Pikmates bro, I'd be inconsolable lmao

Please hurry up and confirm co-op! My girlfriend and I loved playing Pikmin 3 DX together

Olimar, buddy, you might want to look into changing jobs. All this crashing into alien planets can't be good for your health.

Pikmin 3 implied it was the Wraith, didn't it? This is the only series where I love the insane deep lore theories surrounding it, and I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a reboot like was at one point rumored.
It implied the Plasm Wraith was the one behind Olimar and Louie's ship getting totaled, but it doesn't touch on what caused the Drake to crash.

Taken from the Direct speculation thread: the Japanese site says there's two more trailers coming including one for the dog and one for "rescue tips".

Doesn't specifically say they are the topics of trailers; these are pages on the site. Both pages could be posted after a single overview trailer if they wanted; we'll just have to wait and see.

Olimar, buddy, you might want to look into changing jobs. All this crashing into alien planets can't be good for your health.

I actually think it's pretty lame they're basically just redoing the "Olimar crashed landed on PNF-404 and the new characters have to come and save him" plotline from Pikmin 3.

Honestly...I don't think Pikmin 3 even needed Olimar, either. It feels like the series is kinda torn between wanting to be like Fire Emblem with new leads every game but also being like Mario with a marketable main character that must be in every game somehow...which is just weird and unnecessary to me especially since you already have the Pikmin themselves and enemies like the Bulborb for that.

I like Olimar as much as the next guy but quite frankly IMO his story kinda ended at Pikmin 2 and I wish these newer games put more faith in their new main characters...but that's just me. How many times does Olimar need to come back to PNF-404?

Last edited:
Pikmin 3 implied it was the Wraith, didn't it? This is the only series where I love the insane deep lore theories surrounding it, and I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a reboot like was at one point rumore
I dont think the Umibozu stuff was concluded yet, just even more heavily implied by the wraith

Can Oatchie be killed, by the way? Just occurred to me that a spotty bulbear could mercilessly eat him and that would make me sad.

Now I'm wondering if you get to customize every captain you rescue. They're silhouetted in this trailer and you also don't seem to see their faces on their character model as you rescue them.

Now I'm wondering if you get to customize every captain you rescue. They're silhouetted in this trailer and you also don't seem to see their faces on their character model as you rescue them.
I don't think there are enough permutations to make this feature work but it does seem likely

Hopefully the custom character thing doesn't mean there won't be any piklopedia this time around.
I'm hoping they did it so they don't have to make another Alph and will just do all the writing from Olimar's perspective or something. They seemed to struggle with having anything worthwhile for the new characters to say in 3. I'd really hope that after specifically bringing the Piklopedia back for Deluxe, they don't drop it again. Especially with this game appearing to bring back caves and treasures, meaning it's likely way bigger than 3.

I also hope they didn't drop the co-op, btw. I never got a chance to actually use it, but it was really satisfying to finally see it implemented after I had been waiting for it since Pikmin 2.

I don't think there are enough permutations to make this feature work but it does seem likely
Yeah. I don't see why they'd have you do this given there are 6 of them and it'd be odd to have 7 playable characters (unless there is some kind of bench rotation system?). But it is kind of peculiar that they kept their designs hidden in multiple cases along with getting a character creator confirmed today.

I'm hoping they did it so they don't have to make another Alph and will just do all the writing from Olimar's perspective or something. They seemed to struggle with having anything worthwhile for the new characters to say in 3. I'd really hope that after specifically bringing the Piklopedia back for Deluxe, they don't drop it again. Especially with this game appearing to bring back caves and treasures, meaning it's likely way bigger than 3.

I also hope they didn't drop the co-op, btw. I never got a chance to actually use it, but it was really satisfying to finally see it implemented after I had been waiting for it since Pikmin 2.
I disagree, while Alph's commentary was a bit tame at times. Charlie and especially Brittany had some really good ones. I think overall it helped a lot to flesh their characters out a bit more.

I really hope we get some canon characters as well. It's one of my fav things in the series. All 6 that have appeared so far are so quirky and unique, it would be a shame if we had to miss out on that in 4.

I actually think it's pretty lame they're basically just redoing the "Olimar crashed landed on PNF-404 and the new characters have to come and save him" plotline from Pikmin 3.

Honestly...I don't think Pikmin 3 even needed Olimar, either. It feels like the series is kinda torn between wanting to be like Fire Emblem with new leads every game but also being like Mario with a marketable main character that must be in every game somehow...which is just weird and unnecessary to me especially since you already have the Pikmin themselves and enemies like the Bulborb for that.

I like Olimar as much as the next guy but quite frankly IMO his story kinda ended at Pikmin 2 and I wish these newer games put more faith in their new main characters...but that's just me. How many times does Olimar need to come back to PNF-404?
Wasn't the main plotline motivation in Pikmin 3 to collect fruit? Olimar's role is more of a sidething during most of the game I'd say.

Every time I see the name "Olimar" I am reminded of Olimario back at the old, old place and, well, yeah....

Yeah. I don't see why they'd have you do this given there are 6 of them and it'd be odd to have 7 playable characters (unless there is some kind of bench rotation system?). But it is kind of peculiar that they kept their designs hidden in multiple cases along with getting a character creator confirmed today.
Online coop with up to 7 players?

As a known being horrible at multitasking guy, the quote about this being easier to control pleases me lol. Love the atmosphere of Pikmin but eventually managing a crew became a little confusing for me in 3

I guess I'll be a dissenting voice but I'm let down by them going the "create a character" route for this franchise. I feel like that has become a routine of a lot of Nintendo franchises at this point and sometimes I just want a "star" character with a defined design and personality instead of having my first moments of a new game be spent in menus having to decide on some avatar.

For stuff like Animal Crossing and Splatoon it makes sense at least cause those games have big multiplayer and social elements. Putting it into Pikmin though rubs me the wrong way cause it doesn't have any of that and it's also not much of a story focused single player game like WRPGs where you're making choices and role-playing.

They don't have to reuse Olimar if they don't want but if that was the case I'd rather they have gone the Fire Emblem route with the franchise by just introducing new captains each game similar to Pikmin 3's trio. That's what I thought we were getting with 4 too with a female MC before finding out today it was just an avatar.

DMr7jOg.jpeg
k9RADP8.png

The Japanese website shows a silhouette of the S.S. Dolphin from Pikmin 1! Olimar's employer sold it off as collateral in the intro of 2, so did he finally get it back?

Quoted by: Tym
I'm so excited to make a cute explorer girl! Making avatar characters is so fun!

Hopefully there are proper characters besides the avatar, I don't mind them in other games but is not something I want for Pikmin, a series where the captains are well fleshed out between end of day logs and piklopedia entries.

Hopefully there are proper characters besides the avatar, I don't mind them in other games but is not something I want for Pikmin, a series where the captains are well fleshed out between end of day logs and piklopedia entries.
Don't we already know there are proper characters? The cast from the first trailer are probably the rescue crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom