• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well buckle up because precedent dictates there's four
Going off that logic I do think that Pikmin 4 is going to have a huge focus on multiplayer.

I don’t remember was 2 or 3 multiplayer?

Had a shower thought earlier thinking "What else does Nintendo have in store for 2023? We have Fire Emblem and Zelda but I'm forgetting something..."

Looking to how this game comes about, especially for Pikmin fans.

3 Deluxe had full multiplayer, but the previous games only had multiplayer in the mission and battle modes.

3 Deluxe's campaign multiplayer was a headache to manage. The maps often require you to temporarily switch to 1 player mode to get past obstacles, the Pikmin field limit makes it difficult for two players to explore independently, and the split screen makes it tough to see what's going on.

If 4 has campaign multiplayer, I hope it's designed to be enjoyable and doesn't fall prey to the pitfalls that 3 Deluxe experienced.

3 Deluxe's campaign multiplayer was a headache to manage. The maps often require you to temporarily switch to 1 player mode to get past obstacles, the Pikmin field limit makes it difficult for two players to explore independently, and the split screen makes it tough to see what's going on.

If 4 has campaign multiplayer, I hope it's designed to be enjoyable and doesn't fall prey to the pitfalls that 3 Deluxe experienced.
Makes sense considering 3’s campaign wasn’t designed for the use of multiplayer. I think if 4 has it there would be a more smooth transition.

Though I never found a problem with the split screen in Pikmin 3 multiplayer.

When we'll see some gameplay, in your opinion? Maybe next showcase to show how capable is the supposed next Nintendo console? This Is One of my most anticipated game, can't wait to see what new feature the game Will bring to the table

When we'll see some gameplay, in your opinion? Maybe next showcase to show how capable is the supposed next Nintendo console? This Is One of my most anticipated game, can't wait to see what new feature the game Will bring to the table
my current bet is Q1 with the new switch

I can definitely see them embracing an online or local area play mode.

However my thought is it’ll be more of a deeper SP game, with more epic scale with the new camera. So I can see them completely forfeiting multiplayer given the re-design.

March is still suspiciously empty if you ask me. We might get a big reveal and showcase then.

Although would 2 months be enough marketing time for TotK?
Yeah I agree, January has FE Engage and February a lot of game like Kirby Deluxe and Octopath II, March seems a perfect time for a console reveal.

Having recently beaten Pikmin 3 Deluxe and finding it to be an excellent game, my hot take is still that I hope Pikmin 4 has just one captain, at least in story mode. I want to return to the lonely feeling of Pikmin 1, and also my neurodivergence makes multitasking a huge struggle. I pretty much just barely passed the final level of Pikmin 3 because I had a lot of difficulty balancing work between three captains. At the very least, I'll accept two captains.
It is my hope that Pikmin 4 will offer more freedom to choose how you approach obstacles, and support various possible solutions to challenges, perhaps by taking some inspiration from BoTW and adding environmental physics to the levels. That way it may be possible to multitask or find an alternative approach using a single captain.

4 captains won't be the new gimmick here.

Instead, as this game will launch with the Switch Pro, the gimmick will be that it runs at 4k and you control, well, 4000 Pikmin at the same time.
Pikmin: Total War

Not sure what they'll add in terms of new Pikmin. But they gotta add something back that was missing from 3.

l19f3h2ottg51.jpg

Bring back those funny Bulbmin!
The obvious response to your request and image is harnessing the Pikmin's ability to grow into other creatures and take control of their mind in order to temporarily recruit those creatures to your army.

Imagine having a Bulbmin or two under your command for brief periods! Or even controlling bigger enemies!

The obvious response to your request and image is harnessing the Pikmin's ability to grow into other creatures and take control of their mind in order to temporarily recruit those creatures to your army.

Imagine having a Bulbmin or two under your command for brief periods! Or even controlling bigger enemies!
How is Olimar going to throw something like a Bulborb or Wollywog though?

Jk it'd be an interesting space to explore that's for sure

How is Olimar going to throw something like a Bulborb or Wollywog though?

Jk it'd be an interesting space to explore that's for sure
Perhaps he doesn't throw them but commands them in other ways, for example:

They behave like a separate group of Pikmin but instead of throwing them they just go to the location of the cursor when the action button is pressed.
Or
By default, they follow the same target as the Pikmin of the color that infected them, but can also be held back or reassigned to a different group.
Or
He rides them into battle while throwing Pikmin, like a horseman shooting arrows.

There are many options here - the creatures' behavior or abilities could even be affected by which type of Pikmin infects them.

A1Km9gj0kyjBJqvK54zAuMoE8SKRWVGc0nBTM_komZY.jpg

This would be a really cool gameplay mechanic!

I would love a side mode where you run a bulbmin farm/nature preserve. and the goal is to have the cutest bulbmin

I love this idea though! It sounds adorable.

I'm a big fan of this theory and was actually thinking about mentioning it
We have a name and a release date now. If you think about it, from 2019-2021 we didn't have any of the sort, just a vague "2022" but if you think about it, if Nintendo had put a trailer in any of those TGA's it would be to just "have a trailer" and not have any real marketing purpose. Now that the marketing machine has started spinning, now a new trailer actually would have "purpose" so to speak,

Personally, I doubt we see TotK at the Keighleys. Nintendo’s presence there really seemed to hinge on Reggie, and now that he’s gone they’ve been pretty much nonexistent there.

Nintendo will want to show off TotK under their own terms. Whether that’s through a February direct segment, it’s own individual direct, or both, I doubt we see it at a 3rd party event.

I know we know borderline nothing about it yet, but how far do you think Nintendo will go to make Pikmin 4 accessible to newcomers to the franchise?

In my opinion Pikmin 3 DX already fulfills this role and I'd rather Pikmin 4 is slightly more complex/challenging than its predecessor, where the time limit does not pose much of an actual threat and most enemies are segregated, making them easy to swarm and take out.

In the older games on the other hand there was more to sink one's teeth into. Take for example the design of The Forest Navel: a myriad of ways to approach and tackle it. Or the dungeons of Pikmin 2: making your way past numerous traps, surviving from floor to floor and then fighting a crazy boss at the end.

There was really this "Whew, I've made it feeling" of survival, whereas Pikmin 3 feels cozier and more relaxed.

In which direction do you expect/hope Pikmin 4 to lean? And how did others experience the difficulty of Pikmin 3?

I know we know borderline nothing about it yet, but how far do you think Nintendo will go to make Pikmin 4 accessible to newcomers to the franchise?

In my opinion Pikmin 3 DX already fulfills this role and I'd rather Pikmin 4 is slightly more complex/challenging than its predecessor, where the time limit does not pose much of an actual threat and most enemies are segregated, making them easy to swarm and take out.

In the older games on the other hand there was more to sink one's teeth into. Take for example the design of The Forest Navel: a myriad of ways to approach and tackle it. Or the dungeons of Pikmin 2: making your way past numerous traps, surviving from floor to floor and then fighting a crazy boss at the end.

There was really this "Whew, I've made it feeling" of survival, whereas Pikmin 3 feels cozier and more relaxed.

In which direction do you expect/hope Pikmin 4 to lean? And how did others experience the difficulty of Pikmin 3?

I would be ok with upping the threat level a little bit, in either direction, but not both.

Like, either make the time limit more stringent, with the current "cozy" design (so the focus is on optimization, but less stressful)
Or, keep a lax time limit, but introduce a level of threat in the exploration (so if a powerful enemy is encountered, the player has the opportunity to back off and come back later when they're more prepared).

I'm not sure if I'd like both things to be true as it may be too intense, although I recognize that would pretty much describe the first Pikmin... :'D

In the next fiscal year, we will continue to focus on important Nintendo software titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4. - Shuntaro Furukawa today at investor Q&A.

This still feels like a dream.

I'm laying it all down for July 7, 2023
I said too that it would be perfect to release it before Pikmin 3 release so it would not make the series on 10 year pause. We should know better in February when they give it a timeframe "Summer 2023" or Fall 2023".

b3c1f942-b81b-4451-a728-8d8d1ca496a9-pikmin-4-1.jpg
I feel that there's more discussion to be had about the change of camera angle. What implications might this have for what you do in the game?
  • Pulling the camera in behind the player means you can see more ahead of you, but less to the sides and behind, so I think it might be better for a more linear path.
  • It also emphasises just how big the environment and enemies are compared to you (in the previous games it was reversed, emphasising how small you were relatively).
  • The player model can be more detailed because it takes up more of the screen.
  • Maybe there will be less pikmin to command at any one time.
  • There might be more of a focus on targeting specific points of an enemy.
Nintendo have already explored changing the perspective in Hey! Pikmin.
IG_Pikmin7.jpg

And here's Pikmin 3 for comparison:
pikmin3deluxe_3228123b.jpg

For some reason, I read the thread title as "Pikmin 4 Pre-release footage" and I almost had a heart attack.

STOP, I'll cry

Direct was announced and no new posts here. Are you guys even hyped about this game?

Anyway, online multiplayer shown. New Pikmin type. Summer 2023 release window given (Summer lasts till September 23) so it will be it.

Direct was announced and no new posts here. Are you guys even hyped about this game?

Anyway, online multiplayer shown. New Pikmin type. Summer 2023 release window given (Summer lasts till September 23) so it will be it.
I really hope the game will be there but I don't want to get my hopes up because it is far from being a given. I am dying for a proper reveal though.

I really hope the game will be there but I don't want to get my hopes up because it is far from being a given. I am dying for a proper reveal though.
I think that this year's absence of Nintendo at E3 in which Pikmin could had a big focus (booth, Treehouse etc). I feel like they will show it here.

there is so much chromatic aberrations in the clips we got, i am SOOO curious how the game really looks in action.
Im almost confident that since those where released they at least partially reduced them. It seems almost excessive.

HOW DISRESPECTFUL!
This thread should be moving faster!!!

Also, oh my I'm really excited for tomorrow! (Arlo must be too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom