• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a self-insert protagonist would work great for Pikmin as long as the other characters are done well. Mario acts as a self-insert in the Paper Mario games and they still have great character interactions.

No idea what to make of this customizable character but since the other members of the rescue team look like they're defined, it shouldn't really have any adverse effects on stuff like the Piklopedia.

Screenshot_20230607-083426.png
Screenshot_20230607-083404.png

Anyone else notice how inconsistent Oatchi's size is? Is him growing and shrinking a mechanic?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230607-083426.png
Screenshot_20230607-083404.png

Anyone else notice how inconsistent Oatchi's size is? Is him growing and shrinking a mechanic?
ooh, nice catch. wouldn’t be surprised if he’s small when you find him and grows over the course of the game to be able to carry more pikmin, pull heavier objects, etc

that scene with him bigger has dialogue like "it's actually quite normal for his breed"

maybe what's normal is him eating a little snack and immediately doubling in size

The Japanese website shows a silhouette of the S.S. Dolphin from Pikmin 1! Olimar's employer sold it off as collateral in the intro of 2, so did he finally get it back?
Is it possible Pikmin 4 is taking place at the same time as Pikmin 1?

So Olimar's crash in this game isn't a new one but is his original crash.

Would amusingly mean the Rescue corps never find Olimar and he just rescues himself.

So I wasn't going to watch any more Pikmin 4 stuff but everyone said this basically shows nothing. So while I kind of agree, I think it possibly gives away how this is going to play out. 7 captains we have to rescue probably means 7 areas, each possibly being held captive or eaten by a boss. You'll probably get some a new ability or upgrade with each one. Or maybe with each one you'll get an additional person to control. Maybe an 8th final area similar to P3 to rescue Olimar?

Would amusingly mean the Rescue corps never find Olimar and he just rescues himself.
That's a cool idea, but I think it would be difficult to properly execute. Also, what if Olimar had the bad ending and they find Olimarmin?

The last trailer for the game just hit 1,6 million views, which is fantastic. If Metroid Dread's views are an indicative of what the game will sell (the announcement had 2,2 million and the game is over 3 million by now) then i really think pikmin 4 has a chance of surpassing 2 million : )

I've thought about this ever since I saw the Dolphin on the website. I'm curious if they're making Pikmin 4 set in its own independent canon like Nintendo does with most of their games. Hey Pikmin kinda did this, with it being only loosely connected to the others.

Maybe Olimar crashes in the S.S. Dolphin and it's not really acknowledged beyond that, and the game doesn't fit cleanly into the timeline established by the first 3 games.

this doesn't matter at all, but I noticed that at some point in the last couple days they renamed the latest trailer from "Rise to the Occasion" to "Venture Forth, Brave Explorer!"

Pre-ordered and paid it off at GameStop, but tempting to pick it up at Wal-Mart instead for that cool looking Water Bottle that comes with it.
I’m usually opposed to the concept of pre-ordering, but I will if it means I can get a cool water bottle with pikmin on it

I ordered from Walmart too, because of the bottle. They've had some neat preorder tchotchkes lately, along the the tears of the kingdom wall art. Here's hoping the bottle isn't just with a cheap plastic wrapper.

I hope Nintendo tweet out the game's main theme soon; it sounds very nice from the Feb direct trailer and I want to hear it in full and without the gameplay sounds over it

Quick translations:

An unknown planet full of castaways…?
Rescue them with Pikmin!

Rescue dog Oatchi
Ice Pikmin
A great adventure with a new Pikmin and partner Oatchi!

Collecting treasures, dandori matches, and dangerous native species?

Easy 2-player play with support fire!

Most shocking is the change in engine. This would be the first internal UE4 game. Unless the game is made externally like Yoshi's Crafted World was

Since you post Digital Foundry stuff often on the other place, do you recall the average resolution we see in UE games on Switch?

Since you post Digital Foundry stuff often on the other place, do you recall the average resolution we see in UE games on Switch?
This is kind of a "how long is a piece of string" type thing; an Unreal Engine game could be 1080p on Switch or 360p depending on how far the developers want to push things like detail, effects, shaders, geometry, etc and how well optimized it is. UE4 has some demanding features, but to what extent the game will leverage these is up to the devs.

Most UE4 games on Switch are ports from PS4/Xbox One, and as a result resolution tends to be dynamic 720p, but that's more to do with them being squeezed down from more powerful hardware, whereas Pikmin 4 will have been built for the Switch from the ground up.

This is kind of a "how long is a piece of string" type thing; an Unreal Engine game could be 1080p on Switch or 360p depending on how far the developers want to push things like detail, effects, shaders, geometry, etc and how well optimized it is. UE4 has some demanding features, but to what extent the game will leverage these is up to the devs.

Most UE4 games on Switch are ports from PS4/Xbox One, and as a result resolution tends to be dynamic 720p, but that's more to do with them being squeezed down from more powerful hardware, whereas Pikmin 4 will have been built for the Switch from the ground up.
Isn't Yoshi built for Switch?

Quick translations:

An unknown planet full of castaways…?
Rescue them with Pikmin!

Rescue dog Oatchi
Ice Pikmin
A great adventure with a new Pikmin and partner Oatchi!

Collecting treasures, dandori matches, and dangerous native species?

Easy 2-player play with support fire!

These promotional images suggest that, unlike in Pikmin 3, all types of Pikmin are integrated into the main game here. Did we already know that? It's great to have white and purple Pikmin back!

Last edited:
These promotional images suggest that, unlike Pikmin 3, all types of Pikmin are integrated into the main game here. Did we already knew that? It's great to have white and purple Pikmin back!
I think a number of things have implied that such as their prominence on the promo art and caves being back. But yeah it’s really cool to see them back properly.

Maybe I'm being extra skeptical but the unreal logo/mention on this download card seems weirdly fake like it's been added via photoshop, why someone would do that I have no idea.
EDIT : I guess what's throwing me off here is how the unreal logo is a darker shade of black compared to everything else when I'd assume everything in text would be plainly a black color too.

Well that's interesting... I'm guessing that means that the bulk of the programming work is being outsourced then, since Nintendo EPD have their own in-house tech that they exclusively use.

My money is on Good Feel. They've been suspiciously quiet ever since they released Yoshi's Crafted World (UE4), with only Monkey Barrels (UE4) in 2019 to show for their work since then.

Always possible that it could also be Eighting, who worked on Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but I think it's more likely to be Good Feel.

UE4 may be the worst news we've gotten about this game but in hindsight I can't believe I never considered it

edit: didn't emily talk about an engine change???

Last edited:
with enough customization any engine can be used for any project tho obviously I'm hoping it's not EPD themselves using UE4 instead of their own tech considering you're getting a bunch of overhead you wouldn't otherwise (and their own tech has proven to work great on Switch when you look at everything they've done so far).

If it is indeed a third party studio working on this instead it'll be really interesting to see who is on it.

I'm betting on Good Feel as well, they have the most experience with the engine and haven't released a major project in a while.

I worry about how this will perform on Switch, and about image quality, especially on handheld.
I will be very disappointed if this is going to be one of those games that are better played on the successor. It's my most anticipated game by far.

I'm betting on Good Feel as well, they have the most experience with the engine and haven't released a major project in a while.

I worry about how this will perform on Switch, and about image quality, especially on handheld.
I will be very disappointed if this is going to be one of those games that are better played on the successor. It's my most anticipated game by far.
As long as targets are locked in stone early, hitting them shouldn't be a problem. It's when you're unwilling to compromise is when things get hairy. Good performance and IQ is achievable, but it will come at the expense of visual fidelity

As long as targets are locked in stone early, hitting them shouldn't be a problem. It's when you're unwilling to compromise is when things get hairy. Good performance and IQ is achievable, but it will come at the expense of visual fidelity
Screenshots and trailers released so far have demonstrated a high level of visual fidelity for the Switch. Which leads me to worry that performance and IQ will be compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom