• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UE4's light map baker must have been working overtime
The photorealism is honestly a little uncanny. I never expected visuals like this from a Nintendo EPD game, both in quality and in art style. But I think that's the whole point of Pikmin - cutesy, toy-like characters surrounded by surprisingly realistic objects has been a thing in the series since 2 (and that game had straight up branded products). Can't wait for the Digital Foundry tech analysis!

While replaying Pikmin 1 I very much miss multiple captains, and while replaying Pikmin 2 I sorely miss the “go here” function from 3.

This has me wondering if the absence of both of those will be felt in 4 now that each are seemingly gone. I’m sure the game is designed around it but I just hope I don’t miss those features too much while playing.

(Not to say this prevents me from enjoying the first two games, as they’re still some of my favorites.)

This has me wondering if the absence of both of those will be felt in 4 now that each are seemingly gone.

Oatchi is kinda all-purpose in this game; including serving as the second captain. Seems like there's a variety of things you can order him to do beyond what the captains could before too.

image.png
image.png

What are you guy’s opinion on the graphics?
I think they brought some of the best/the best realistic looking scenarios for the Switch.
Some scenes literally look like photorealistic CGI. That sand location and the home scenarios look great AF.
It has maybe the best lighting of any Switch game, depth of field and AO look amazing too and reflections are good.

With that said, the floor/terrain textures are really muddy and not high res in some scenes, no AA and poor texture filtering makes the beauty sometimes fell less impressive.

Anyways I can't wait for the demo to see it in my hands!!

I love pikmin, the original is my favourite gamecube games and pikmin3 was amazing too (not a fan of pikmin 2 though), but for some reason I'm scared of buying pikmin4, I'm of it being a disappointment and I don't even know why. The game looks gorgeous and full of ideas but for some reason I don't feel confident on it and the only 3 pikmin types on field only accentuate my fear. I really hope that the demo will blow my mind because I love this series and I want this game to be the best pikmin ever.

I think they brought some of the best/the best realistic looking scenarios for the Switch.
Some scenes literally look like photorealistic CGI. That sand location and the home scenarios look great AF.
It has maybe the best lighting of any Switch game, depth of field and AO look amazing too and reflections are good.

With that said, the floor/terrain textures are really muddy and not high res in some scenes, no AA and poor texture filtering makes the beauty sometimes fell less impressive.

Anyways I can't wait for the demo to see it in my hands!!
The problem is the new camera, its too close to the ground,pikmin 3 moded with this camera looks like shit,the reveal trailer made everyone guess it was a pro game because it was zoomed out,the parts that look bad are cutscene close ups

Interesting, might mix it up more than I thought. Demo comes Wednesday I thought, not Friday like the preview states.
I thought the same about the demo but just had a look and the official Pikmin 4 page now says: 'Immerse yourself in this floral adventure when the free demo launches on June 29th!'

Pikmin 4 is going to have a time travel twist and the incorrect reporting about the demo release date is instead a marketing tease

Maybe

I know previews tend to lean to the positive side for most games regardless of the end product but still, nice to see all the outlets I've read so far are happy with it for the hour or so they got to play

Can't lie, having preordered the game months ago the Eurogamer preview does have me just a tiny bit worried.

Playing through Pikmin 2 right now, and I still strongly dislike the cave exploration and lack of an overall time limit. And the constant mentioning of making the game easier is also offputting when Pikmin 3 was already so easy. Finally, Oatachi has me a bit worried. The Pikmin are supposed to be the star, and here's the massive puppy overshadowing them (quite literally) and able to do a bunch of stuff they can't? That doesn't make sense to me.

There's a bunch of promising stuff there too, though, like being able to move onions around and gather building materials for bridges etc - there are strategy options that such features will reveal. Night expeditions sound particularly promising.

Pikmin 1 and 3 are my favourite games in the series by a mile. Pikmin set the standard, Pikmin 3 perfected it with far better level design. Pikmin 2 is the black sheep by comparison. So if this is shaping up to be the sequel to Pikmin 2, that's no bueno. Well, we've got a demo coming so I guess it's not a problem.

Those previews have me puuuumped, 10 years of game design lessons seem to be making their way over to this title, plus combining lessons learned from the whole series thus far.

Caves give me vibes of the bite size level design we see in zelda and splatoon, and the open map sections feel more "open world" and less guided level.

EDIT: a few more preview thoughts..
  • I love that the CPU competitor in battle mode appears to be zoomed out and top down, giving you clear context of what they're doing. I hope we can play in that view too.
  • I'm not too concerned about difficulty concerns. P3D shows us that they made "Normal" Easy, so as long as they give us difficulty levels it should be ok.

happy demo week!

I'm not too worried about the "easy" comments as the first hour or so of any Pikmin game is easier than the rest.
Just imagine:

"Man, this game is too easy!"

Finds cave that only Blue Pikmin can enter

Something crashes to the ground off in the distance while you're exploring

The music changes

cover3.jpg

Playing through Pikmin 2 right now, and I still strongly dislike the cave exploration and lack of an overall time limit. And the constant mentioning of making the game easier is also offputting when Pikmin 3 was already so easy. Finally, Oatachi has me a bit worried. The Pikmin are supposed to be the star, and here's the massive puppy overshadowing them (quite literally) and able to do a bunch of stuff they can't? That doesn't make sense to me.

I love Pikmin 2 but the game's reception seems pretty polarizing based on how people like the caves. If it's any consolation, caves in 4 have a time limit and look to be hand-designed instead of procedural. According to previews, normal caves slow the day timer by a factor of 6 and there are special "Dandori Challenge" caves with harsher limits that take after mission mode in 3.

Doing my replay on the entire series before 4 comes out.

Finished Pikmin 1 so far, amazing game.

Started Pikmin 2, having a blast so far, think it's the only one that I haven't beaten and only dabbled in. Loving it so far.

Do we have any word on how gyro controls work in this game yet? Hoping they’re like Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch rather than 3 Deluxe. I’m currently revisiting 3 Deluxe to do the remaining challenges that I haven’t done yet, and I just absolutely cannot stand the constant gyro drift… Really hope I won’t have to deal with that in 4, too.

Kinda sad time limits are gone

Haven't played 1 or 2 but 3's time limit felt like a good way to implement them, would've liked something like that to add a bit more tension

But maybe it didn't gel with the more exploration focused gameplay?

Kinda sad time limits are gone

Haven't played 1 or 2 but 3's time limit felt like a good way to implement them, would've liked something like that to add a bit more tension

But maybe it didn't gel with the more exploration focused gameplay?
Daily time limits are still there, and according to the previews, time still counts down in caves, but at a slower pace. You still lose your pikmin at the end of the day if they're not with your captain.

Doing my replay on the entire series before 4 comes out.

Finished Pikmin 1 so far, amazing game.

Started Pikmin 2, having a blast so far, think it's the only one that I haven't beaten and only dabbled in. Loving it so far.

Not worried you're going to burn out on Pikmin by the time 4 releases?

Do we have any word on how gyro controls work in this game yet? Hoping they’re like Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch rather than 3 Deluxe. I’m currently revisiting 3 Deluxe to do the remaining challenges that I haven’t done yet, and I just absolutely cannot stand the constant gyro drift… Really hope I won’t have to deal with that in 4, too.
just press r...

You still lose your pikmin at the end of the day if they're not with your captain.
Though it seems like there's an option to upgrade oatchi to retrieve missing pikmin, perhaps a less broken version of the mass recall from 3 deluxe

just press r...
You think I’m not aware of that? The problem is that the gyro drifts so much that I have to almost constantly be pressing R. Like, it’ll start drifting very quickly after I’ve just reset the gyro. It’s way worse than, say, Splatoon. It just makes for a much more frustrating experience than on Wii U, and it’s unfortunate that you have to deal with that in order to use gyro controls in 3 Deluxe.

You think I’m not aware of that? The problem is that the gyro drifts so much that I have to almost constantly be pressing R. Like, it’ll start drifting very quickly after I’ve just reset the gyro. It’s way worse than, say, Splatoon. It just makes for a much more frustrating experience than on Wii U, and it’s unfortunate that you have to deal with that in order to use gyro controls in 3 Deluxe.
I know that you know, but you just need to press R more often

once I got used to recentering constantly in 3D I was schmoovin. meanwhile I'm not sure that I'll ever get used to the approach implemented in 1 + 2

Yeah I was fine with the gyro in 3 even though it's obviously not as good as having the proper Wii remote setup. The new way in 1+2 felt a bit too convoluted to me.

I know that you know, but you just need to press R more often

once I got used to recentering constantly in 3D I was schmoovin. meanwhile I'm not sure that I'll ever get used to the approach implemented in 1 + 2
I mean, yeah, obviously the solution is to press R all the time, but it’s very annoying and frustrating, especially in a game like this where you’re paying attention to a lot more than just controlling your cursor. Like, everyone loves to say that the gyro controls in The World Ends with You: Final Remix are terrible, but the gyro drift is essentially the same as in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but I found it much easier to manage in TWEwY because that game controls entirely with the pointer so it’s easier to focus on that single aspect while playing the game, whereas in Pikmin 3 I’m juggling a lot more at once. That’s why I’d much rather have a more consistent gyro control scheme like in BotW/TotK, and that seems to be exactly what Pikmin 1 + 2 have.

I mean, yeah, obviously the solution is to press R all the time, but it’s very annoying and frustrating, especially in a game like this where you’re paying attention to a lot more than just controlling your cursor. Like, everyone loves to say that the gyro controls in The World Ends with You: Final Remix are terrible, but the gyro drift is essentially the same as in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but I found it much easier to manage in TWEwY because that game controls entirely with the pointer so it’s easier to focus on that single aspect while playing the game, whereas in Pikmin 3 I’m juggling a lot more at once. That’s why I’d much rather have a more consistent gyro control scheme like in BotW/TotK, and that seems to be exactly what Pikmin 1 + 2 have.
to each their own. I'm finding Pikmin 1 to be much less natural than just keeping my reticle centered

Daily time limits are still there, and according to the previews, time still counts down in caves, but at a slower pace. You still lose your pikmin at the end of the day if they're not with your captain.
Yeah meant more the global time limit but should've specified

Fruit was a good concept and I think they should've done some version of that, but I can see why it might not have worked with the style of game they were going for

the 30 day limit was too stressful for me, daily time limits are enough imo. It also makes sense story wise that a rescue corp would be better equipped to deal with the planet overall

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom