• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to have confirmation that there’s no overall time limit anymore, even though it seemed pretty apparent from what they’ve shown

This game really does seem to be Pikmin 2 2 and I’m here for it. I know 2 is a bit polarizing but I loved exploring caves, nabbing treasures, and not having to worry about a time limit, so to me this feels like the true sequel I’ve been waiting for all this time. The lack of multiple captains and proper co-op will be missed, though.

I was still holding onto some hope that the people you rescue were on a timer, but it seems there is nothing of the sort which is a bummer, there aren't enough games like that and that number keeps getting lower from series that used to have that and feel like there are only a handful of games that pop up occasionally with such elements.

I just really hope it does turn out good for what is going for, a sequel to Pikmin 2 is kind of a red flag, I like that game but I only like it for the core Pikmin gameplay, almost every new element introduced is either unbalanced or just poorly designed, and it ended up feeling pretty bloated. Also I replayed that game a couple of times over the years and knowing all the bullshit beforehand might have helped with my enjoyment there.

Maybe in another decade Pikmin 5 will be more like 1 and 3.

Currently, my only major concern with Pikmin 4 is that it'll be too easy. An article by VGC reports that a Nintendo representative said Pikmin 4 was designed to onboard new players with a less stressful, more laid-back experience.

At a recent hands-on event, a Nintendo rep did state that one of its goals with the new game was to create a more accessible and less stressful experience than previous games. Thankfully, the “previous games” it appears to be talking about are the original Pikmin – which famously enveloped its campaign with a strict 30-day time limit – and Pikmin 3, which tripled the workload by adding multiple characters simultaneously.

Pikmin games have never really been that hard to begin with, but I still can't help but feel a little anxious, y'know?

if you wanna expannd the series a total game time limit is kinda a big turn off for alot of potential customers

Last edited:
Currently, my only major concern with Pikmin 4 is that it'll be too easy. An article by VGC reports that a Nintendo representative said Pikmin 4 was designed to onboard new players with a less stressful, more laid-back experience.

Pikmin games have never really been that hard to begin with, but I still can't help but feel a little anxious, y'know?
Bleh Pikmin 3 already is the perfect newcomer entry. I hope they at least add some postgame this time

Remember time limits in Atelier and Pikmin? D:

You're already playing a real-time strategy game and efficient resource utilization is key. And so is time management but here we are. Still getting the game tho.

I get why people want there to be an overall time limit, I think it's a cool way to structure a game that you don't see too often and I'd be fine if they tried it again, but I don't really feel like it's a strong part of pikmin's identity or anything. it was a big part of the first game, sure, and 3 half-measuredly brought it back with what I still think was a very creative idea, but it was implemented in a way that created very little time pressure for (I'm assuming here!) most players (save for maybe the very beginning of the game and one brief sequence toward the end) to the point where it wasn't really even necessary to think about

what I would like to see more of is something that encourages you to strategically pick which area to go to on which day. the first game had a tiny bit of this with the Smoky Progg only appearing if you made it to the fourth area before a certain day, and the boss in the starting area rotating out each day. I feel like there's a lot of potential to do more with that idea! weather forecasts for the different areas creating different conditions, the new resource management features making it worthwhile to prioritize one area over another at a given time, maybe soft time limits or rewards for getting a certain thing by a certain day, who knows what else. maybe Pikmin needs to take some cues from Dragon Quest Treasures.
for all I know all that stuff is in 4 already! but it's one aspect of the "days" system that I think could add some interesting strategy without adding failstate-related time pressure.

also i'm calling it now that the smoky progg, or perhaps a different progg of some kind, WILL make a triumphant return in this game. confident about this since my good friend Mamuta is coming back too

So I'm guessing the max amount of Pikmin you're able to bring with you increases as you find new Pikmin in the field. Assuming there are 10 of each hidden somewhere around this giant map, it would add up to being able to bring 100 with the 20 reds you start with in the preview.

Though this is also assuming we just have one large interconnected map this time which I don't know has been 100% confirmed or not. Also depends on how exactly the Glow Pikmin work. It doesn't have to be exactly 10 of each.

So I'm guessing the max amount of Pikmin you're able to bring with you increases as you find new Pikmin in the field. Assuming there are 10 of each hidden somewhere around this giant map, it would add up to being able to bring 100 with the 20 reds you start with in the preview.

Though this is also assuming we just have one large interconnected map this time which I don't know has been 100% confirmed or not. Also depends on how exactly the Glow Pikmin work. It doesn't have to be exactly 10 of each.
I don't remember the name of the item, but apparently there is a certain item you collect in the world that increases your pikmin count by 10.

In this video, you'll find 10 minutes of exclusive gameplay from Pikmin 4 for Nintendo Switch, the new game in the strategy franchise where you can see new mechanics, environments, and ways to play. Available on Nintendo Switch on July 21, 2023! Footage provided by Nintendo Europe.

2 more days to demo and looking forward to preloading the game on July 14th

this game really makes you remember that pikmin 3 was originally a wii game put in hd with some touch ups for the WiiU
This looks so gorgeous.

I wonder when the demo goes live

we could be playing pikmin 4 in under 12 hours (but prob closer to 24)

It seems to me nighttime has been built up as being something very much other than less stressful, more laid back. I've been led to believe it is dark and filled with terrors and stuff.

I get why people want there to be an overall time limit, I think it's a cool way to structure a game that you don't see too often and I'd be fine if they tried it again, but I don't really feel like it's a strong part of pikmin's identity or anything.
I know I enjoyed Pikmin 2, lack of overall time limit and all, though I can see why people might latch onto it. That was a major element of the first game, and it's not uncommon to find people like the second much less.

Now, if Pikmin 3 was Pikmin 1-2 and Pikmin 4 is now Pikmin 2-2, perhaps the next might be Pikmin: The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. No, it doesn't revolve around time cycles and such, but it uses its set limit of days to map out a sequence of events so you cannot actually accomplish everything in one playthrough (or maybe you can, but it requires great planning and precision). The concept might be a bit more difficult to implement, though, without having a time loop to allow the player a chance to see everything playing out for planning purposes.

this is a rpg now

Pikmin to come:

• Stylish-Herd-of-Critters Action Game
  • The Dark Souls of Pikmin

You know, the little glowbuds really do look like they could be ghosts Luigi would encounter in his mansion -- or, you know, wherever.

I get why people want there to be an overall time limit, I think it's a cool way to structure a game that you don't see too often and I'd be fine if they tried it again, but I don't really feel like it's a strong part of pikmin's identity or anything. it was a big part of the first game, sure, and 3 half-measuredly brought it back with what I still think was a very creative idea, but it was implemented in a way that created very little time pressure for (I'm assuming here!) most players (save for maybe the very beginning of the game and one brief sequence toward the end) to the point where it wasn't really even necessary to think about

what I would like to see more of is something that encourages you to strategically pick which area to go to on which day. the first game had a tiny bit of this with the Smoky Progg only appearing if you made it to the fourth area before a certain day, and the boss in the starting area rotating out each day. I feel like there's a lot of potential to do more with that idea! weather forecasts for the different areas creating different conditions, the new resource management features making it worthwhile to prioritize one area over another at a given time, maybe soft time limits or rewards for getting a certain thing by a certain day, who knows what else. maybe Pikmin needs to take some cues from Dragon Quest Treasures.
for all I know all that stuff is in 4 already! but it's one aspect of the "days" system that I think could add some interesting strategy without adding failstate-related time pressure.
I think the time limit was always better as an idea than it was as an actual mechanic. Like, the threat of having a time limit was by far the most useful part of it. There's this catch-22 where a run of the game is only short enough for this kind of absolute fail state to be reasonable if you finish hours under the limit. In other words, the only people who will ever lose all of their progress in Pikmin are also the ones who spent the most time on that playthrough, and the difference in length between an expert run and a failed one is so exaggerated that it's a matter of five hours. That... doesn't seem well thought-out. The additions in NPC Pikmin and 3 were simply band-aids that watered down the idea to try and make it more palatable, but it just doesn't work very well to begin with. It's been at odds with the desire to make a long-form console game like oil and water for the entire series, and being unshackled from its limitations was the best part of 2.

Now, the day timer itself, that's 100% essential, and time passing in caves is the best news I've heard about Pikmin 4 so far. Pikmin does not work without time management as the driving force behind it; leaning solely on resource management like 2 attempted encourages really obnoxious level design that just tries really hard to kill you instead of asking you to split your attention and multitask to get everything done in time. Which in turn encourages you to play in the most slow, safe, unfun manner possible for maximum success instead.

I think all of the games had some minor timed changes to the areas, mostly concerning enemy spawns, though they're barely present in 3. If you played 2 for long enough Beady Long Legs could suddenly appear in the Perplexing Pool, and there were those really obscure enemies that only appeared in the Wistful Wild every 30 days. I had a similar thought a while ago, that for the sake of accommodating a larger game, maybe it would be better to switch to smaller time goals, maybe ones that don't necessarily function as deadlines. Instead of a Game Over, it becomes more like the old speedrunner "imagine a bus.." analogy, where your goal is to arrive before a certain time. The "bus" you're trying to catch could be a particular season or weather event which will alter the layout of an area. You could even go more granular with it, and do things with the days themselves like giving the creatures within an area a daily schedule they follow, so a creature that's sleeping in the early morning might become active later in the day. Additional layers of strategy for an expert player, makes the world seem more alive to a newcomer.

90% sure I’m using my second voucher on Pikmin 4. Gonna be checking out the demo and if it doesn’t turn me off, I’ll be playing through my first Pikmin game.

i dont know if it's the graphics update or the camera update or both but the pikmin themselves are looking so good

I just found out about the demo!!!!

iu

Still no Demo, huh. I guess it appears at Midnight?
Also, any word on if the Demo progress carries over? I think it did for Pikmin 3, so I hope it does here, too.
Tho no biggie if not.

Still no Demo, huh. I guess it appears at Midnight?
Also, any word on if the Demo progress carries over? I think it did for Pikmin 3, so I hope it does here, too.
Tho no biggie if not.
one of the previews said it carries over, yeah. so I’m curious how far into the game it’ll go.
the direct trailer made it sound like the nighttime stuff isn’t right at the beginning so I wonder if that’ll be in at all

one of the previews said it carries over, yeah. so I’m curious how far into the game it’ll go.
the direct trailer made it sound like the nighttime stuff isn’t right at the beginning so I wonder if that’ll be in at all
Ooh thank you kindly, that is great if so. c:
And yeah, I will guess, if it carries over, it will be the very beginning of the game, you make your character, and then do the 'tutorial area'. With probably no Underground or Nighttime, I would assume.

pikmin-3-deluxe-target-1.jpg

These pre order bonuses were in the clearance section of my Target a couple years back for like a dollar each so I grabbed a ton. I gotta see if I can find them and share the wealth with Pikmin hyped fami :)

saw one preview and my gosh is this game gorgeous. I can't wait to play this game in a few weeks
or tonight! Demo progress carries over to the main game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom