• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the very first part of the game where you first have control, has anyone been able to find more than 95 Pikmin? I’m trying to make sure I’ve found them all before I progress (even if it doesn’t matter, lol), and I feel like there has to be, like, 5 more to round it out, but I can’t seem to find any more so maybe that is all there is?

In the very first part of the game where you first have control, has anyone been able to find more than 95 Pikmin? I’m trying to make sure I’ve found them all before I progress (even if it doesn’t matter, lol), and I feel like there has to be, like, 5 more to round it out, but I can’t seem to find any more so maybe that is all there is?
there are 100!

Just finished the demo. I'm feeling pretty good about this one.

The visuals are superb. If this is indeed on Unreal 4 then it also is running incredibly well compared to other Unreal games I've seen on the Switch. The music didn't disappoint either. It was nice to finally be able to hear what I guess is the main theme of Pikmin 4 in full and without any commentary or sound effects. The overall presentation is definitely up to par with the previous games which is certainly a great first impression.

Gameplay wise I don't have any complaints, aside from missing there being multiple captains to multitask with. Oatchi was something of a concern based on earlier trailers. It looked like he was going to be really unbalanced but after playing the demo I'm fine with him. His upgrade system looks like it'll allow for a lot of different ways to train him for a specific role. Assuming you won't be able to get every upgrade in one playthrough it'll be great for replayability. Obviously, I'll have to wait for the full game to see how he turns out but it does feel like they really tried to throw us a bone for taking out multiple captains so I'm not even upset by that anymore.

What had me most excited was when I got to relocate my home base. That's going to be so convenient. Especially since it can be done in dungeons too. Hopefully less instances of me having to clear out every enemy on a given floor in case the pikmin decide to take an unsafe path while hauling stuff back.

Lastly, the idea of Olimar's distress signal calling a bunch of treasure hunters to the planet who then also need to be rescued was really funny to me. Though with how much they are emphasizing such crash landings being unlucky, both in-game and in promotional material, it's obviously gping to be anything but just bad luck.

But yeah, I'm real excited for the 21st. When I played Pikmin 3 for the first time a couple years ago I found that it scratched a Pikmin itch I didn't even know I had so it's nice to get a proper follow up so soon.

Hmmm if there is still a rumoured July event, surely this new trailer means a Pikmin 4 Direct is out of the question now? There’s not much else they could really show without spoiling the whole game at this point.

FzxGy38aQAc0QCj

Only made it through the intro (the second intro) so far so I'm not sure if I'm vibing with it yet but it's nice to see positive impressions in here. Can't wait to play more after this video conference.

Yeah the gameplay guide seems to be for the whole game so there are quite a few spoilers there. This is probably the big one. The madfolk at Nintendo just ported Pikmin 1 to Pikmin 4

The other big-ish spoilers imo are

Challenges are back and like battles play a role in the main campaign. Both are replayable for higher scores

The objective of Night Missions is to get a special sap that can be used to cure "leaflings", which are probably the thing Olimar turned into. Guess there'll be more than just him though since there's plenty of Night Missions

Seems storywise it's some sort of alternate timeline? Similar to what happened in the bad ending for Pikmin 1 (from my understanding at least, haven't played 1 myself) but likely different overall due to the new locations and the presence of Olimar's Rescue Pup. Looks like we'll need a Pikmin timeline after this game

Downloaded the 3 demo when it released. Played it a lot, but when I got the full game I couldn't be bothered anymore - kinda had my fill with the demo. Curious if that'll happen with 4!

Cool to see an EPD Unreal Engine game, curious if that means they've got a lot of new people working on this (using Unreal may in part be to expedite the learning process for new employees who might already know how to use it, as opposed to in-house tech).

The gameplay guide gives away so much if you peek into it beyond the surface. Posting the rest of the Olimar campaign screens since its really neat.

rendercombined.jpg

Having an extra mode with the limited day count back is a great idea.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe was already full of content but this game is on another level if we have an extra Olimar campaign on top of everything they've shown so far.
I'm at work so I'll try the demo when I get home this afternoon, 3am in Europe was a bit too hard for my sleep schedule. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it !

Has anyone managed to find the main theme anywhere yet? I'd like to listen to it and assumed that someone would have uploaded it now that the demo is out, but I have not been able to find it yet.

Also, demo was nice and quite extensive, the start with Olimar was really cool, after that was a bit slow, but once you get to explore the first area it really opens up. I liked what I see of the upgrades, hopefully that makes for varied playthroughs. The area was also a lot more open than Pikmin 3s earlier areas, which was also something I was hoping for. Can't wait to see the full potential of all the mechanics in the full game. My only minor complaint is that the game doesn't allow you to throw more than the needed amount of Pikmin to carry an object. I get that it should be convenient, but I often throw a shitload of Pikmin to get the object back to base faster, which is not really possible anymore. Kind of a pointless limitation

I do wish you could turn off the auto-target snap. Like when you aim close to a thing of interest it just snaps your aim onto it.
I feel it makes it a bit too easy to hit enemies, but I did not see a option to turn it off.
Not a huge deal, but I like my Pikmin games being a bit brutal, and it was so easy to avoid Pikmin deaths in Pikmin 3

I've never played a Pikmin-game before and I just completed the Pikmin 4 Demo in one go (took me a little under 2 hours).
I have to admit... it was a lot more fun than expected! The time flew by and I couldn't stop playing! I might have to buy Pikmin 4 now...

The thing that surprised me the most is how satisfying it is to have many Pikmin walking with you or doing tasks for you.
It's not just one Pikmin doing something, it's tens of Pikmin doing something at the same time and it's so fun to control so many of them!

I've never played a Pikmin-game before and I just completed the Pikmin 4 Demo in one go (took me a little under 2 hours).
I have to admit... it was a lot more fun than expected! The time flew by and I couldn't stop playing! I might have to buy Pikmin 4 now...

The thing that surprised me the most is how satisfying it is to have many Pikmin walking with you or doing tasks for you.
It's not just one Pikmin doing something, it's tens of Pikmin doing something at the same time and it's so fun to control so many of them!
It is super fun and satisfying to see the Pikmin work. You walk around with a lil group, about to fight some enemies, and a few Pikmin with resources walks runs past you, working hard, while a few are whacking at a Wall, some resting at the Onion after having carried enemies there, etc etc.
They are like lil adorable ants, constantly doing things.
Also doggo.

Remains to be seen how long (seems pretty lengthy, demo took me 4 hours lol) and challenging this game will get, but I was blown away by the demo.
It starts pretty slow and took me a bit to get used to the new-ish controls, but once I did I had an absolute blast. I pretty much regret playing the demo at all because now I gotta wait 3 weeks.

it's beautiful.......actually kind of can't believe how good it looks. i've seen a little bit of LOD pop-in and of course I wish it was 60fps but otherwise it looks incredibly sharp (especially compared to other Unreal games on the switch) and this sort of toylike aesthetic is imo the best possible application of a "realistic" graphical style

also very very fun. only played one real day of open exploration so far but I'm super impressed with the level design and most of the little mechanical tweaks (like cutting you off from mashing A once you've thrown enough Pikmin to carry something, which does look like it can be turned off in the options too).
I do miss the pikmin 3 style of aiming though! especially for whistling. and I've yet to see a "swarm" type of feature that lets you put a big group on a task all at once, like the C-stick commanding in 1 and 2 or the "charge" in 3...hopefully I'm just missing something or it's unlocked later!!

I've played the demo up until I found gameboy. Looks beautiful and plays nice. Im not buying it for this price though. "Tinykin" could be sold for much less and is as good as (or maybe even better) Pikimin. Im gonna wait for sales in shops.

Please tell me these controls on the sides of the screen go away/there is a way to remove them. It is taking up so much space.

I've played the demo up until I found gameboy. Looks beautiful and plays nice. Im not buying it for this price though. "Tinykin" could be sold for much less and is as good as (or maybe even better) Pikimin. Im gonna wait for sales in shops.
Love Tinykin, but they are very different games behind the surface level similarities.

Played the demo until it said “You’ve reached the end!”, causing me to internally scream DAMMIT NO, open the eshop and preorder the game. I will officially be a Pikmin player come July.

Really pleased with the demo. It looks absolutely gorgeous, I love being a miniature guy scrambling around in gardens and living rooms. I was rather anxious about the “time limit”, but I shouldn’t have doubted Nintendo’s level design. Unlocking shortcuts is intoxicating, and I could feel myself slowly adapting to juggling a bunch of things at once. I’m honestly in love.

it's beautiful.......actually kind of can't believe how good it looks. i've seen a little bit of LOD pop-in and of course I wish it was 60fps but otherwise it looks incredibly sharp (especially compared to other Unreal games on the switch) and this sort of toylike aesthetic is imo the best possible application of a "realistic" graphical style

also very very fun. only played one real day of open exploration so far but I'm super impressed with the level design and most of the little mechanical tweaks (like cutting you off from mashing A once you've thrown enough Pikmin to carry something, which does look like it can be turned off in the options too).
I do miss the pikmin 3 style of aiming though! especially for whistling. and I've yet to see a "swarm" type of feature that lets you put a big group on a task all at once, like the C-stick commanding in 1 and 2 or the "charge" in 3...hopefully I'm just missing something or it's unlocked later!!

Just play a bit more, you will unlock this move.

One big change is that the first three Pikmin felt like a bird's eye celebration of the beauty of nature, where you'd only notice that you're actually a tiny little guy on earth (or a post-apocalyptic earth) if you really paid attention, or late in the game.

Whereas this one, with the camera change and constant human environments is the opposite - the fact that you are an ant-sized person on earth is the primary focus, and the beauty of nature is secondary. It's an interesting change.

One thing I expect from this game is a huge amount more content than other pikmin games. Pikmin 1 and 3 were very short. The levels were intricate as hell, but there were only what - 5 in each? Which made for a very replayable game, but not a long one. I think with rewind and no time limit, Pikmin 4 won't be going for that replayability factor, and I think we'll see a whole bunch of small-ish, not-too-complicated levels like the sun dappled terrace, alongside all the caves. It wouldn't surprise me to see 12+ areas like the terrace. I can't imagine the game having less than six of them.

As for the caves, they are very similar in look to Pikmin 2's (which is bad) but they are clearly properly designed rather than generated (which is good, and is the more important thing). I didn't get the sense of boredom from these caves as I did with 2's so I don't think they'll be a problem.

The biggest thing from the demo was that I was afraid Oatchi would overshadow the pikmin to the extent that he might break/ruin the game, but it doesn't feel that way at all.

Also, collecting treasure in Pikmin 2 was a chore - it meant nothing. You're doing a lot of similar work here, but the fact that you're ALSO rescuing crew members / civilians - and that said people unlock new features - means that there is still a higher class of item out there to collect, which makes the action meaningful again and dodges that Pikmin 2 flaw.

Seems this is a pretty extensive demo. I think I'll hold off on playing it in favor of just waiting for the game's release.

Really excited to play this today. I'm glad the only gripe so far seems to be the tutorial, which have pretty much been over the top in every past Pikmin game.

Really excited to play this today. I'm glad the only gripe so far seems to be the tutorial, which have pretty much been over the top in every past Pikmin game.

Yeah, I was prepared for the tutorial thanks to past games. Always insanely intrusive but luckily only at the start.

TIL I have a really high tolerance for tutorials because I'm seeing a lot of complaints about that on this game around and... even as a huge pikmin fan it hasn't bothered me one bit.

There was another game people were complaining about recently in this vain too, was it Zelda? I can't recall, but I felt similarly against the grain

EDIT: lol good timing didn't see the two posts above me

The demo makes me want to just download Pikmin 1 and 2 and play through the entire series again in anticipation. Everything according to Nintendo's keikaku.

I think the reason they keep having long ass tutorials is cause they take 10 years to put a game out so they need to make the series approachable for newcomers in order to finally grow the damn IP. Also, may be why there is this supposed retcon or whatever y'all are saying.

One big change is that the first three Pikmin felt like a bird's eye celebration of the beauty of nature, where you'd only notice that you're actually a tiny little guy on earth (or a post-apocalyptic earth) if you really paid attention, or late in the game.

Whereas this one, with the camera change and constant human environments is the opposite - the fact that you are an ant-sized person on earth is the primary focus, and the beauty of nature is secondary. It's an interesting change.

One thing I expect from this game is a huge amount more content than other pikmin games. Pikmin 1 and 3 were very short. The levels were intricate as hell, but there were only what - 5 in each? Which made for a very replayable game, but not a long one. I think with rewind and no time limit, Pikmin 4 won't be going for that replayability factor, and I think we'll see a whole bunch of small-ish, not-too-complicated levels like the sun dappled terrace, alongside all the caves. It wouldn't surprise me to see 12+ areas like the terrace. I can't imagine the game having less than six of them.

As for the caves, they are very similar in look to Pikmin 2's (which is bad) but they are clearly properly designed rather than generated (which is good, and is the more important thing). I didn't get the sense of boredom from these caves as I did with 2's so I don't think they'll be a problem.

The biggest thing from the demo was that I was afraid Oatchi would overshadow the pikmin to the extent that he might break/ruin the game, but it doesn't feel that way at all.

Also, collecting treasure in Pikmin 2 was a chore - it meant nothing. You're doing a lot of similar work here, but the fact that you're ALSO rescuing crew members / civilians - and that said people unlock new features - means that there is still a higher class of item out there to collect, which makes the action meaningful again and dodges that Pikmin 2 flaw.
I think we're probably looking at about 6 areas again - the area select looks to have space for 6 entries and it doesn't look like it would scroll (though that's still possible)

Later areas might be bigger though and caves will likely also get bigger and more complex

I get the tutorial thing, as the first time I played Pikmin on Gamecube I had a severe initial "what the FUCK is this" reaction to the controls and camera angles and dropped it for months. Came back and it went on to be one of my favourite games ever once I got over that initial shock.

I think you can see in the fact that they initially restrict you to just 20 pikmin - and that restriction obviously grows quite slowly - that they are super aware of and afraid of the fact that the game can overwhelm a new player. I can't be mad at it, I just hope that when the shackles come off that the difficulty is there. With lock-on making things so easy I didn't lose a single pikmin in the demo.

I think we're probably looking at about 6 areas again - the area select looks to have space for 6 entries and it doesn't look like it would scroll (though that's still possible)

Later areas might be bigger though and caves will likely also get bigger and more complex
Damn, if there's only 6 areas and almost half or more of the game takes place in the caves that would be a disappointment to me. I suppose it does depend on the size of the later levels. But the one serious flaw with Pikmin 3 was a lack of content - that game needed at least one more area, preferably more - so that's the #1 thing I'm hoping they've improved here.

Seeing as challenge mode might not be in the launch release, I hope that gets added with co op.
Challenge mode is in according to the game guide, it's integrated into the main story like Battles so it's likely just not unlocked yet as of the demo

As someone who gets pretty overwhelmed in pikmin games (im bad at multi tasking in games), i appreciated the tutorial… but good lord is it long and chatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom