• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished the demo and

I never found the Yellow Pikmin onion despite getting Yellow Pikmin. I looked up where it was and it turned out I was right next to it but just completely missed it somehow, haha. Now when I get the full game, I'll have to waste a day on that area just to get the yellow onion.

4 is definitely harder than 3, between the demo and the footage of area 2. The enemies are more dangerous and you're handicapped with a smaller squad. This alone isn't saying a ton though, 3's combat was truly trivial. But enemies falling from the ceiling is a pretty big sign it's going to ramp up quickly.

I think my biggest concern with the new camera is that it makes the game harder to play for the sake of fancy graphics and no actual gameplay benefits, which feels pretty un-Nintendo. I have no idea what other upsides it was supposed to have, but this lower angle perspective made the Sun-Speckled Terrace much more disorienting than I remembered past locations being, and I relied on the map a lot. Outside of 3's multi-tasking mechanics, I only ever used the map to check for stray Pikmin in past games. Here I never have any idea where I am because there are so many paths, some are obscured by walls, the base is moving around constantly, and crucially, the camera does not stick to one orientation. I'm glad the Pikmin can navigate on their own now, because I sure can't.

Like, you know what the worst camera I've ever encountered was in? Trails in the Sky, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I cannot accurately describe how awful that game's camera was, but one crucial facet of it was that unlike superficially similar games, like say, the DS Dragon Quests, the camera does not have a static default overhead orientation that you are meant to view most things from. It's a small FOV, constantly spinning and turning and melting my brain to slag, and I very quickly had to adapt to navigating entirely using the minimap because at least the directions stayed consistent there. I'm worried Pikmin 4 might have a much milder version of the same thing going on where it's impossible to maintain a consistent perspective on the environment anymore because the camera is close in behind your character now. Hopefully I just have to get used to it...
You can adjust the camera view to make it look like traditional Pikmin overhead view.

I may have locked myself out from 100%ing the demo.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

In Aquiferous Summit Sublevel 1, there's a Hanafuda card sitting on the lower level of the room with the entrance and exit.

I can freeze the water, but I can't seem to find a way to get it up the ledge. Is this really impossible?

I may have locked myself out from 100%ing the demo.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

In Aquiferous Summit Sublevel 1, there's a Hanafuda card sitting on the lower level of the room with the entrance and exit.

I can freeze the water, but I can't seem to find a way to get it up the ledge. Is this really impossible?
You can jump the ledge with pikmins.

there should be enough wild ice pikmin in that sublevel to allow you to freeze it and still jump up the ledge with oatchi
The Pikmin carrying the card do not jump up the ledge when the ice is frozen

Pulling back the camera doesn't really match how the previous games framed it, and it has flaws at times where it doesn't fade what is behind you.

Difficulty wise feels pretty easy, the limited Pikmin number feel more like an annoyance than something to provide challenge so far, with a handful of ice pikmin you can easily freeze a bulborb, the aggressiveness of enemies is still low, made a mistake a couple of times where the bug larva enemies popped up below me and even taking my time getting rid of them they didn't manage to kill a single Pikmin. I feel like the option to repeat the day is just to not reset the game entirely by going back to the menu rather than a sign that this will be harder. The so far more action adventure style of game rather than RTS also makes me think it won't be that difficult, but hey I could be wrong. It could have the more bullshit elements of 2 in later caves but I don't really want that kind of "difficulty" or "challenge" in Pikmin ever again.

Hopefully 4 gets harder but even if it doesn't I don't think we need to worry too much. Navigating the world, collecting treasures, building the base camp, and upgrading powers seems very satisfying enough. Plus, getting better medals during the Dandori levels should be pretty challenging. Also, difficulty has honestly never been balanced in pikmin. Pikmin 1 was too easy, 2 was too hard, and 3 was too easy.

Judging by the demo this is the best Pikmin for me. I just love how I can go at it at my pace without being concerned about time.
I was planning to get it eventually but it's now a day one purchase for me.

I was pretty confident this game would be good but that demo was incredible. Really feels like they refreshed the series while retaining the satisfaction of executing a plan.

It seems like it will be a fairly large game too, which is nice since Pikmin only comes around once a decade. Glad they seem to be going all out.

Last edited:
Fuuuuck yes! 100% on Day 4! I also got my first platinum on the dandori battle, had my best time in the dandori clean up, got more sparklium than my 5 day run, and ended with over 200 material after having bought the basic upgrades. I would feel bad about having seen that speedrun video for help, but really the main things I took from it were to start the last day in the first base camp and not to bother building any bridges other than the one needed to access the north west area. My only fuck up was leaving the blue Pikmin sprout unplucked but it doesn’t count as a loss nor does it show him as being unplucked at the main camp so whatever. I still managed to rack up a few more blue Pikmin while the countdown was going on. Could I have cleaned up some more creatures? Probably, but I did a lot more than I expected.

Now I can finally sleep.

The amount of promo from Nintendo for the game has been nice to see but what are people's expectations for this saleswise? As a big fan of the series I'd obviously like to see this do well and become the breakout hit but I'm also aware that it's a bit of a niche genre, even if it has been getting more attention than I expected.

Seeing that the Switch port for 3 did 2m+ is pretty encouraging so I think anything around 3m would be good progress and probably a realistic result, but I hold out hopes that it can claw its way to 4-5m.

The amount of promo from Nintendo for the game has been nice to see but what are people's expectations for this saleswise? As a big fan of the series I'd obviously like to see this do well and become the breakout hit but I'm also aware that it's a bit of a niche genre, even if it has been getting more attention than I expected.

Seeing that the Switch port for 3 did 2m+ is pretty encouraging so I think anything around 3m would be good progress and probably a realistic result, but I hold out hopes that it can claw its way to 4-5m.
what we hope is that pikmin 4 will grow outside japan. It def will do well in japan but what about america and europe?

I mean I'd be very surprised if this didn't end up being Pikmin's biggest launch ever for the series.

It's not saying that much considering it's never been HUGE but, as someone who has been a Pikmin fan for 20 years, I've never quite seen the general excitement for the series this high.

Been replaying Hey! Pikmin for the past 2 days and this game definitely doesn't deserve the hate it got. While it's not a revolution, it's charming and feels really good. I did it back in 2018 I guess and I was like "huuuum ok that's cool but that's it", replaying it now the main series isn't in limbo anymore makes me appreciate it way more and I think for a first spin-off (besides Adventures from Nintendo Land), they did a great job at nailing the universe and atmosphere of the series. I'm so happy I gave it another try!

Last edited:
Been replaying Hey! Pikmin for the past 2 days and this game definitely doesn't deserve the hate it got. While it's not a revolution, it's charming and feels really good. I did it black in 2018 I guess and I was like "huuuum ok that's cool but that's it", replaying it now the main series isn't in limbo anymore makes me appreciate it way more and I think for a first spin-off (besides Adventures from Nintendo Land), they did a great job at nailing the universe and atmosphere of the series. I'm so happy I gave it another try!
I'm playing through it really right now and while I don't dislike it, it just kind of feels like it's there.

The logs are great as always, and I love some of the descriptions for supported Amiibos but everything just feels a bit too slow and there hasn't been anything remotely close to a challenge three worlds in so far. Also a very minor issue but I don't Ike that Olimar can just walk up to a treasure and collect it himself, makes the Pikmin feel superfluous a few too many times.

Still, hopefully it'll pick up a bit the more I go on.

I'm playing through it really right now and while I don't dislike it, it just kind of feels like it's there.

The logs are great as always, and I love some of the descriptions for supported Amiibos but everything just feels a bit too slow and there hasn't been anything remotely close to a challenge three worlds in so far. Also a very minor issue but I don't Ike that Olimar can just walk up to a treasure and collect it himself, makes the Pikmin feel superfluous a few too many times.

Still, hopefully it'll pick up a bit the more I go on.
From what I remember the game don't really became much harder so you may lack the difficulty even in the late stages.

It may have been a bad word choice when I said "it feels very good", what I wanted to say is that it gives good vibes. I like chill little games from time to time and I guess Hey! Pikmin is what I wanted to play right now, so maybe that's why slowness and low difficult doesn't bother me at all.

Apart from that, if you except the minions which is original for a "kinda platforming game", yeah the game is pretty classical and doesn't offer something really unique I guess. But I'm fine with that, hopefully if we get another spin off in the future they'll manage to make something a bit more special!

Been replaying Hey! Pikmin for the past 2 days and this game definitely doesn't deserve the hate it got. While it's not a revolution, it's charming and feels really good. I did it black in 2018 I guess and I was like "huuuum ok that's cool but that's it", replaying it now the main series isn't in limbo anymore makes me appreciate it way more and I think for a first spin-off (besides Adventures from Nintendo Land), they did a great job at nailing the universe and atmosphere of the series. I'm so happy I gave it another try!
Good to see another hey pikmin Stan here. Played it for the first time last year and had a blast

I mean I'd be very surprised if this didn't end up being Pikmin's biggest launch ever for the series.

It's not saying that much considering it's never been HUGE but, as someone who has been a Pikmin fan for 20 years, I've never quite seen the general excitement for the series this high.
I just can't quantify how wide spread the excitement is tbh. It feels off which makes me think this is very much forum enthusiast bubble excitement.

I will say I have seen a sizeable ad push on tiktok for this game.

Been replaying Hey! Pikmin for the past 2 days and this game definitely doesn't deserve the hate it got. While it's not a revolution, it's charming and feels really good. I did it back in 2018 I guess and I was like "huuuum ok that's cool but that's it", replaying it now the main series isn't in limbo anymore makes me appreciate it way more and I think for a first spin-off (besides Adventures from Nintendo Land), they did a great job at nailing the universe and atmosphere of the series. I'm so happy I gave it another try!
I’m also playing through Hey! Pikmin right now since I didn’t play much of it when it first came out, and yeah, it’s a neat and very charming new take on Pikmin, and definitely doesn’t deserve the hate it gets at all! My only frustration with the game is that getting through a level without losing any Pikmin can be really annoying, since the Pikmin will die in one hit and you have to restart the level from the beginning, and since the pacing of the game is rather slow this can be a very time consuming process. But that’s supposed to be where the challenge is, so I can’t complain too much I guess!

I really like how the game showcases the Pikmin’s personalities, since that’s not something you really get to see as much in the other Pikmin games. Also, it’s interesting how the Onion has white and purple swirls in it in this game, despite those Pikmin types not being in the game. Wonder if they were originally planned to appear or what…

I’m also playing through Hey! Pikmin right now since I didn’t play much of it when it first came out, and yeah, it’s a neat and very charming new take on Pikmin, and definitely doesn’t deserve the hate it gets at all! My only frustration with the game is that getting through a level without losing any Pikmin can be really annoying, since the Pikmin will die in one hit and you have to restart the level from the beginning, and since the pacing of the game is rather slow this can be a very time consuming process. But that’s supposed to be where the challenge is, so I can’t complain too much I guess!

I really like how the game showcases the Pikmin’s personalities, since that’s not something you really get to see as much in the other Pikmin games. Also, it’s interesting how the Onion has white and purple swirls in it in this game, despite those Pikmin types not being in the game. Wonder if they were originally planned to appear or what…
Yeah the No Death challenges can be frustrating on some levels. Worst is when you throw a Pikmin on an enemy and it dies because of approximate hitboxes. But that must be my only complain so far!

I have a save at the start of Dandori Day Care. I'm having so much fun whittling down my time and getting the highest score I can.

My highest score is 222. What about you all?

I just can't quantify how wide spread the excitement is tbh. It feels off which makes me think this is very much forum enthusiast bubble excitement.

I will say I have seen a sizeable ad push on tiktok for this game.
Of course you can ever precisely quantify a "bubble" but it's definitely been more of a general internet bubble than just a forum bubble, especially between Twitter/TikTok/etc. And even the bubbles themselves haven't ever popped off this hard as far as I can remember.

Between that and 1+2 being high on the eshop charts, it just seems like a really big moment for the series.

Of course you can ever precisely quantify a "bubble" but it's definitely been more of a general internet bubble than just a forum bubble, especially between Twitter/TikTok/etc. And even the bubbles themselves haven't ever popped off this hard as far as I can remember.

Between that and 1+2 being high on the eshop charts, it just seems like a really big moment for the series.
yeah but Metroid Prime Remastered was high on the charts and well....we know how that sold in the end.

I guess I don't really think the bubble is that big for this game even here. I think there is a loud minority though. Honestly I hope I'm wrong cause I really get excited for new Pikmin games.

Ads are not a good gauge because they are targeted. The ads you see are based on your data and browsing history, and are not the same ads other people see. I think the game should easily end up as the highest selling in the series yet though

If Pikmin 1+2 sells like MPR it’d be a massive success.
yes but I think my point got lost there, which is my fault for not being clearer haha. I was more saying that the charts can be pretty misleading. I think we tend to overweigh it's value when it comes to predicting how well a game sells. But yes, if Pikmin 1+2 sell as much as MPR then that is a pretty big success for Pikmin.

yeah but Metroid Prime Remastered was high on the charts and well....we know how that sold in the end.
Wait did MPR underperform or something? I just assume it sold well since it was a Switch game, looked good, and came out during a lull.

I think Pikmin as a franchise just needs correct expectations. It’s never going to be a heavyweight Nintendo franchise but it selling 1-2 million can still be a success if it was budgeted correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom