• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait did MPR underperform or something? I just assume it sold well since it was a Switch game, looked good, and came out during a lull.
impossible to know until nintendo updates their numbers. given it was a digital shadowdrop, $40, and supply constrained, Nintendo didn't have that high of expectations for it

But unpopular in the rest of the world. Yeah, its difficult to see pikmin 1 + 2 even reaching 1 million.
not that unpopular considering all the games breached 1M as well. prior to Dread, Pikmin and Metroid Prime aren't that far from each other. I'll still peg Pikmin as having the most potential to be ahead by the virtue of being popular in areas Metroid isn't

actually popular in Japan
Sure, but I don't see that being enough to overcome the other points. Unless basic ports historically overperform in Japan or something. We'll see I guess!
not that unpopular considering all the games breached 1M as well. prior to Dread, Pikmin and Metroid Prime aren't that far from each other. I'll still peg Pikmin as having the most potential to be ahead by the virtue of being popular in areas Metroid isn't
Metroid Prime 1 sold almost double what Pikmin 1 did, and that was the best performing Pikmin title until 3 Deluxe.

pikmin 3 deluxe's total sales are pretty close to dread's total sales overall, based on what information we have

getting real numbers on 1+2 is going to be... weird, since it's sold individually and as a bundle, but if prime remaster can barely break a million there's no reason to think that pikmin is going to do worse than that given the similar release plan

Sure, but I don't see that being enough to overcome the other points. Unless basic ports historically overperform in Japan or something. We'll see I guess!
it would have to have a terrific overperformance in japan for that to happen, like, bigger than metroid and us, which is a bigger market.

not that unpopular considering all the games breached 1M as well.
No they did not. Only Pikmin 1 on the GC really managed to surpass 1 million on the original releases, as far as we know. Pikmin 2's last report is at "over 400k".

By comparison, Prime sold 2,8 million, the Cesa 2020 report revealed that Echoes sold similarly to the first Pikmin at around 1,1 million and Prime 3's last Nintendo report showed that it was at around 1,36 million.

We re all Pikmin fans here, so please do not take this as some attempt at concern trolling, but there's no reason to actually expect those hd ports to sell 1 million. And im sure that's fine with Nintendo as well.
pikmin 3 deluxe's total sales are pretty close to dread's total sales overall, based on what information we have
Theres probably at least a million plus copies difference, since we are waiting on the Cesa's reports to see how the legs of those two series have fared on the Switch , but yeah it's not THAT large of a difference.
Getting real numbers on 1+2 is going to be... weird, since it's sold individually and as a bundle, but if prime remaster can barely break a million there's no reason to think that pikmin is going to do worse than that given the similar release plan
I feel like people might be forgetting the key reason to why MPR even got to a 1 million despite the shadowdrop with 0 marketing: Its visuals. Since Pikmin doesnt have that upgrade, its difficult to see it achieving the same numbers.

I have a save at the start of Dandori Day Care. I'm having so much fun whittling down my time and getting the highest score I can.

My highest score is 222. What about you all?
I don’t see a way to check. I know it was over 200 but don’t think it was over 220. Maybe 204? I had about 1:04 minutes remaining when I finished and I’m pretty sure that was my best time. I usually ended up with about a minute remaining.

Wait did MPR underperform or something? I just assume it sold well since it was a Switch game, looked good, and came out during a lull.
It sold 1 million units in its first month and a half, which is definitely good, but considering it was at the top of the eShop for several weeks straight, I think we all expected the numbers to be higher.

i havent seen anything that states that, where did you find it?

yes but where are they taking those numbers from?

I think Pikmin as a franchise just needs correct expectations. It’s never going to be a heavyweight Nintendo franchise but it selling 1-2 million can still be a success if it was budgeted correctly.
It sold over 1 million units, people just convinced themselves based on the eShop chart and the physical stock issues that Metroid was like having an unprecedented breakout moment with Prime Remastered. When in fact, it just did well and had low physical stock at launch. For the remaster it is and to build more hype for Metroid Prime 4 long-term, I think it definitely did what it needed to.

I'm also really disappointed that the Pikmin Amiibo from Hey Pikmin and Olimar didn't get reprints for this big Pikmin extravaganza. Like I know Amiibo aren't what they were and Nintendo is currently struggling to restock Zelda stuff in the US (though not Europe lol), but it would have been a nice extra touch to bring those back out with some minor functionality in like 4.

I know that. But the only source every other website that says that pikmin 2 sold 1,2 million doesnt sources nintendo, they source installbase. Not even Cesa.

So where does those numbers come from?
They do come from CESA, iirc.

I know that. But the only source every other website that says that pikmin 2 sold 1,2 million doesnt sources nintendo, they source installbase. Not even Cesa.

Nintendo older data, which only a few people have access.

again, from NIntendo. they put these in their financial reports. you can see from the post that the numbers are collected from the last time they shown up in the financial reports. so you have to go look for a 2014 financial report if you want verification. and CESA does get numbers from Nintendo too, but you probably have to search equally old reports to find the last Pikmin number

I don't get why this thread has to be Metroid vs Pikmin sales but either way I don't think it matters that Pikmin 2 barely outsold Prime 2. Metroid had a much bigger presence on the Gamecube regardless (3.94m vs 2.72m).

That being said, Pikmin 3 Deluxe selling so well that it almost sells at new Metroid levels, on top of Pikmin 4 almost surely being a 1m+ seller in Japan, will make Pikmin more popular than ever. I could definitely see it being more popular than Metroid Dread, Pikmin 4 has a lot going for it.

I tend to think Pikmin 4 will sell right on two million lifetime, plenty good enough to be a success, but I think 3 Deluxe will ultimately remain the better selling game when all's said and done.

Finally playing Pikmin 1 after only playing it a little bit years ago. I get the “easy” complaints about 3 and now 4. Lol. But the emphasis feels so different. They throw so many more Pikmin at you in the first game. Losing a dozen doesn’t feel like a big deal plus the camera, aiming and terrible path finding make it almost obnoxious trying to avoid killing any of them. I usually stress over losing 1 Pikmin but so far in the first one I happily threw some to their death if it means a short cut to getting a ship part.

Because it's been out way longer, and 3 will also likely get a boost in sales from 4 coming out too. Even if 4 matches what 3 does currently the latter will also see increased sales.

Edit: Also 4's still very similar to 3, where as say Forgotten Land managed to appeal as wildly as it did because of the big genre shift from the prior Switch installment.

Last edited:
So I'm absolutely sure it's possible to 100% the demo in two (2) days.

As in, getting 100% during Day 3.

I'm on Day 3 now, attempting this on my fourth complete run-through of the demo... not including restarts due to failures.

So I'm absolutely sure it's possible to 100% the demo in two (2) days.

As in, getting 100% during Day 3.

I'm on Day 3 now, attempting this on my fourth complete run-through of the demo... not including restarts due to failures.
But how? You need Oatchi to jump to at least two caves and a bridge to get to the northwest area. Don’t you dare make me replay the demo again! I wouldn’t mind except for the Olimar part which I always feel compelled to get all 100 Pikmin.

But how? You need Oatchi to jump to at least two caves and a bridge to get to the northwest area. Don’t you dare make me replay the demo again! I wouldn’t mind except for the Olimar part which I always feel compelled to get all 100 Pikmin.
You get the ability to jump on the Second exploration day! I'm not exactly sure what triggers Oatchi's automatic growth between exploration days, but all I know is if you get all the rescues and treasures you possibly can on the first exploration day, Oatchi will have his growth spurt allowing you to ride him and jump on the second (and final) exploration day.

Also, after your first exploration day, make sure to invest every single Pup Drive point into the path that increases Oatchi's Pikmin value so he gets at the very least the strength of 10 Pikmin so you can carry the blue onion back to the base while 30 of your ice Pikmin remain in the water. This was the trickiest part to figure out.

Another hint for practicing: what I do is I create a save at the start of Day 2 (the first exploration day) and copy the save so I can restart without doing the whole intro again.

TLDR it's totally possible to 100% the game in Day 3, after only two exploration days. I've yet to do it, but I've come very close two times...

I predict this will be the best selling Pikmin release yet.
While I doubt it'll become like, a 5-6 million seller or something, imagine how nice if it did. No way they'd make us wait 10 years for a new one then

You get the ability to jump on the Second exploration day! I'm not exactly sure what triggers Oatchi's automatic growth between exploration days, but all I know is if you get all the rescues and treasures you possibly can on the first exploration day, Oatchi will have his growth spurt allowing you to ride him and jump on the second (and final) exploration day.

Also, after your first exploration day, make sure to invest every single Pup Drive point into the path that increases Oatchi's Pikmin value so he gets at the very least the strength of 10 Pikmin so you can carry the blue onion back to the base while 30 of your ice Pikmin remain in the water. This was the trickiest part to figure out.

Another hint for practicing: what I do is I create a save at the start of Day 2 (the first exploration day) and copy the save so I can restart without doing the whole intro again.

TLDR it's totally possible to 100% the game in Day 3, after only two exploration days. I've yet to do it, but I've come very close two times...
Oooh….yeah I did that. Lol. The save says Day 4 but I guess that’s the day I’m on and not how many days it took. I mentioned earlier but the big tricks that saved a lot of time (at least for me) is cleaning up the first two caves and every onion and collectible the first day (ended up being 1470 Sparklium) and making sure to end at the same base you started at, that way you can get the tennis ball and the cave there right away. Then you can run over to the other cave you need Oatchi for. You only need to build one bridge to get to the northwest, the rest can be ignored.

Oh I totally used multiple saves but I wanted more than 3 slots. Cause I used one for a successful run I had, then another to skip intro, but once I had a good run for day 1, I had to make a backup of that so I was out of saves.

Oooh….yeah I did that. Lol. The save says Day 4 but I guess that’s the day I’m on and not how many days it took. I mentioned earlier but the big tricks that saved a lot of time (at least for me) is cleaning up the first two caves and every onion and collectible the first day (ended up being 1470 Sparklium) and making sure to end at the same base you started at, that way you can get the tennis ball and the cave there right away. Then you can run over to the other cave you need Oatchi for. You only need to build one bridge to get to the northwest, the rest can be ignored.

Oh I totally used multiple saves but I wanted more than 3 slots. Cause I used one for a successful run I had, then another to skip intro, but once I had a good run for day 1, I had to make a backup of that so I was out of saves.

Ha! That trick you mentioned is exactly what I needed. I've been trying to find one more way to make my day 1 more efficient but I've been ending at the second base and starting the second day by building the bridge over to where the first base is.... it'll be way quicker to end the first day at the first base

Some kid is paying 40 dollars per ad to put Pikmin shitposts at Times Square. They first put Olimar dancing and next up is a Bulbmin.

I feel kinda proud, for real.

Finally started the demo and OMG they talk too much, i think i've completed the tutorial since i'm going into the first area, plase let me explore in peace now

Nintendo is running ads on youtube and doing co-marketing with some tea chain. so I'd say they're advertising quite fine
I actually just visited a Kung Fu Tea and told me the promotional Pikmin 4 tea won't be coming out until August.

Are they promoting Pikmin way more than usual, or does it just feel like it cuz it is so rare to see Pikmin promotion after 30 years between entries?
I hope they are giving it a lot of attention, I need Pikmin to grow big XD
And then add Luie to Smash so we can finally have the most evil Nintendo character again.

I'm also really disappointed that the Pikmin Amiibo from Hey Pikmin and Olimar didn't get reprints for this big Pikmin extravaganza. Like I know Amiibo aren't what they were and Nintendo is currently struggling to restock Zelda stuff in the US (though not Europe lol), but it would have been a nice extra touch to bring those back out with some minor functionality in like 4.
There's this eshop in Cyprus that has several old amiibo for pre-order, expected around Sept-Oct, including Olimar. Considering we had reprints of many amiibo this year (Mario, Zelda), their info might be correct. I don't see the Pikmin one though... :(

P4 Preload now available
10.4GB Version 1.0.1
i purchased mine from the japanese eshop , NA preload should be afternoon Jul 14th

Woo preload!

Beat Pikmin 2 for the first time the other night. Only cleared the debt, didn’t go for 100% or the final area, but I’m going to pause it to get through 3 before Friday!

I don't get why this thread has to be Metroid vs Pikmin sales but either way I don't think it matters that Pikmin 2 barely outsold Prime 2. Metroid had a much bigger presence on the Gamecube regardless (3.94m vs 2.72m).

That being said, Pikmin 3 Deluxe selling so well that it almost sells at new Metroid levels, on top of Pikmin 4 almost surely being a 1m+ seller in Japan, will make Pikmin more popular than ever. I could definitely see it being more popular than Metroid Dread, Pikmin 4 has a lot going for it.
I would agree if it was released 2 years ago but software sales have slowed for everything that isn't a huge system seller (zelda) since 2022

I haven't played the demo yet but I might forgo that and just pick up the game next week. I liked Pikmin 3 so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. If I don't, I can just blame all of you for giving positive impressions of the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom