• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last call for raffle 1
also I think to some degree the speakers / earphones themselves could become the quality bottleneck, which is another rabbit hole of its own :p
Don’t worry, I just ordered a pair of headphones after days of looking. They haven’t come in yet but hopefully they live up to the hype.
Start with Yasunori Mitsuda. 😉
I’m admittedly not familiar with Mitsuda-san’s work but apparently he did the Smash 4 arrangement of the Mii Channel theme, which is an absolute banger.

so, if I’m reading this right, it doesn’t really have a robust core moveset it relies on, but has many crafted sort-of quests that grant a temporary item or ability to tell a story?

kinda like how stories are woven in Majora’s Mask without keeping the masks?

or did I read that wrong?

that does sound intriguing
I don't want to give the impression that it's quite as literal an adventure game as say, Majora's Mask. So sorry if that post was confusing or misleading. But to your description essentially ... sort of yes?

You don't really get anything like items or epic quests. But you have inhabitants in each level that you interact with, all of them brimming with quite a lot of personality. You'll either have to fight them or help them, and often they give you a puzzle piece. You need a certain amount of puzzle pieces to complete the painting for the next level. It's not always about the inhabitants though, but in a similar way to a lot of Nintendo games there can be some story through narrative that is pretty memorable. For example there is a timed maze you have to navigate as an alligator, or a labyrinth you need to progress through to enter a haunted mansion. A lot of what makes the game great in general is the atmosphere. For example you have a hub world you progress through, which has a little bit less depth than something like Mario 64 secrets-wise, but also a ton more variety as it essentially stitches every level theme together into one hub world, and it can be really interesting to see how they accomplish this.

You also get a few new moves throughout the game, sort of like the caps in Mario 64, some of these are less contextual and carry more weight, others are a bit more similar to the limited uses of the caps.

A good way of thinking about it is sort of like Yoshi's Island, actually. Just less difficult and a bit more contemporary. You're going around doing contextual challenges in a platforming game to get puzzle pieces to progress. There's even transformations that give the bear and bird the ability to do things they couldn't do otherwise, much like Island.

Sorry, I'm horrible at explaining this! The point is: good game.

Oh hey, Banjo-Kazooie chat.

...I, uh, played like an hour and a half of it a few years ago, and I didn't really get into it as much as I would like, but I wonder if I'd like it more now than I did when I tried it. I can't say I don't like collect-a-thon platformers. I liked Spyro as a kid and I love Odyssey now. Maybe because it's more of a slower paced adventure game? Mario's movement makes his games go at a decently fast pace, even the open ones.

Y'all like to know I will be giving Xenoblade 2 another go after writing it off a few years ago. I ended up loving the remaster of the first one and want to take a crack at 2 again. I still have a physical copy of it

It's a bit later down my backlog list though

LnvvLyY.jpeg

I make seven layer cookies every year for the holidays. They come out tasty!

3 layers of almond paste cookie, 2 layers of apricot in between, and dark chocolate on top and bottom

Not for the raffle, but for fun:

Chipotle spiced Carne Asada with Cilantro Lime Crema and pickled onion and jalapeño.

0-D45-F97-B-6869-4512-AAAD-C67-D1-ADE08-B1.jpg

Marinade with spices (garlic, onion powder, smoked paprika, chipotle Chile powder), lime juice/zest, and Mexican lager.

22871-B86-82-D9-4971-A272-B0-A5-D66-C464-E.jpg

I smoked it on the pellet grill For about 12 min. Then I broil it with some of the left over marinade and honey to add some sweetness to cut the spice.

66-D87-D29-7344-46-BB-8-BC4-291-B5-DBBDDAB.jpg

Then I made a quick pickle of red onion and jalapeño. Basically water, white/apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup.

Then it yields this with the crema, shredded lettuce, and hot sauce.

4-D6-BB497-9531-447-D-BA8-B-F46-C65-C05-E98.jpg

Thinking about game soundtracks has made me realize that Paper Mario: The Origami King hasn’t gotten a soundtrack release a year and a half after releasing and that is unacceptable.

That's right, only info about DK being 2D is coming from Zippo. Other than that we have no evidence that it even exists.
I think we have that DK Vine article too IIRC. Let me see if I can find it...

Edit: https://dkvine.com/?p=news_body&post=6338

Here we go. But now I realize you were just referring to it being 2D, not the possibility of it existing, so you probably already read this. 😅

I think I'm going to regret not picking up Dangonrompa at launch for Switch. There doesn't seem to be any copies anywhere except for scalpers on ebay.

Sigh- It's times like these where I miss Kmart.
Loved going into K-Mart for a puzzle, and walking out with a Pepsi and a booster of Pokemon cards as well.

LnvvLyY.jpeg

I make seven layer cookies every year for the holidays. They come out tasty!

3 layers of almond paste cookie, 2 layers of apricot in between, and dark chocolate on top and bottom
That looks awesome! I made a similar rainbow cake a few weeks back, kinda modified the recipe.

FIs-8p8WYAYFZ2Q

That's right, only info about DK being 2D is coming from Zippo. Other than that we have no evidence that it even exists.

Here we go. But now I realize you were just referring to it being 2D, not the possibility of it existing, so you probably already read this. 😅
Nintendo Life was told by “an independent (and very trusted) source” that MonkEPD is real and is 2D. I’m not sure how trustworthy Nintendo Life or their source is but the DK Vine article was written as a corroboration of Nintendo Life’s report.

Not for the raffle, but for fun:

Chipotle spiced Carne Asada with Cilantro Lime Crema and pickled onion and jalapeño.

0-D45-F97-B-6869-4512-AAAD-C67-D1-ADE08-B1.jpg

Marinade with spices (garlic, onion powder, smoked paprika, chipotle Chile powder), lime juice/zest, and Mexican lager.

22871-B86-82-D9-4971-A272-B0-A5-D66-C464-E.jpg

I smoked it on the pellet grill For about 12 min. Then I broil it with some of the left over marinade and honey to add some sweetness to cut the spice.

66-D87-D29-7344-46-BB-8-BC4-291-B5-DBBDDAB.jpg

Then I made a quick pickle of red onion and jalapeño. Basically water, white/apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup.

Then it yields this with the crema, shredded lettuce, and hot sauce.

4-D6-BB497-9531-447-D-BA8-B-F46-C65-C05-E98.jpg
holy fuck that looks good

I think I'm going to regret not picking up Dangonrompa at launch for Switch. There doesn't seem to be any copies anywhere except for scalpers on ebay.

I ordered it from Amazon. Then we had a week long snow and ice storm. Now it’s lost in transit. So that sucks since there are no replacements.

I'm playing through Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's good so far. I'm up to the 10th floor so I think I'm probably in the final ~third of the game. I think it was a great idea to have every floor having a unique theme. The game can explore so many different types of gameplay ideas and visual themes and it's a very varied game. I also don't think this series has ever gotten its due for its boss battles, including from myself. When I think of boss battle prominent video games, Luigi's Mansion doesn't come to mind, but 3 is just chock full of tons of boss battles and a lot of them are quite good.

If there's one issue I have with this game is that some of the gameplay ideas feel a bit awkward. Moving sand around on the 10th floor I'm currently at doesn't feel very fun or natural at all. A pretty clumsy implementation of the idea, and it's not the only one up to this point. Also this hotel is more of a theme park than a hotel lol.

Every day, I'm getting more and more excited for a pseudo open world Pokemon game and a full 3D Kirby title :)

Now, if we could get that release date....

It's weird Country won't be the moniker when it's called Donkey Kong Country at Super Nintendo World. It also has me worried if it's true, who would develop an actual DKC if Nintendo themselves have adopted the franchise?

Beginning of week 2
Alright, week one of this thread is over!

Week 2 will have a new topic "Coping with COVID", "compare your boss to a Nintendo boss" with a new poll going up as soon as I message a mod to reset it.

Week 2 also has a new raffle, this one focusing on pets! Post a picture of your pet or a pet you know, and maybe tell us a little about why it's the cutest dog/cat/ferret/muskrat/vole/iguana/grasshopper in the world. To start, here's my dog:

EhWod42XgAM0UCs

As you can plainly see he is the cutest dog in the world, he enjoys chicken and licking arms incessantly, turn offs include long walks and other animals, turn ons include basically all food except for some reason pretzels.

I'll be figuring out week 1's winner tomorrow and shortly after figure out how exactly to give them eShop money. Stay tuned for the winner announcement!

Last edited:
Finished my latest painting project, boy I’ve come quite a ways since I started hand painting this style of figure
IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

Tho what I’m really happy about are these cloaks I pulled off in a single coat a couple days ago
IMG_4531.jpg

And of course pulling out all the minis of this style I’ve done and see how far I’ve come(oldest on the left)
IMG_4543.jpg

Still got a dragon left but after that have a Megalon to cleanup then Mothra to do then my winter backlog is finished

But for tonight, time to play some games, gotta choose between some more SRW, FF or messing around in penny punching princess

The regular edition and the collector's edition go in and out of stock like every other day. That's how I got it a couple a weeks ago. The collector's edition was back in stock at gamestop and amazon the last 24 hours...but they're now sold out again. I would put alerts up at deku for either one https://www.dekudeals.com/search?q=danganronpa.

The collector's is pricey at $100 but eventually it will be out of stock for good and it will really jump in price.

Listening to GameBeat Decides and they were discussing a listener question: "The follow ups to multiple Game of the Year winners are coming out this year - Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, and Zelda. In your opinion, which is most likely to win the award at The Game Awards?" Grubb and Minotti both felt like they dismissed Zelda as unlikely, despite being super fans of the original.

Jeff needs to be called out...but does he even know about this forum? I'd like to believe he'd get along with this crew more than Era, but who knows. I can see there's a @jeffgrubb but no idea if it's one in the same

Listening to GameBeat Decides and they talked about "The follow ups to multiple Game of the Year winners are coming out this year - Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, and Zelda. In your opinion, which is most likely to win the award at The Game Awards?" and Grubb and Minotti both felt like they dismissed Zelda as not likely, despite being super fans of the original.

Jeff needs to be called out...but does he even know about this forum? I'd like to believe he'd get along with this crew more than Era, but who knows. I can see there's a @jeffgrubb but no idea if it's one in the same
grubb is verified, that's him

sorry grubb

I think BOTW 2 will really surprise people when it turns out Nintendo was following their usual pattern of "make it seem like a safe sequel and then reveal the amazingness closer to release" (see also: 3DW and others). I have a feeling there's a lot more to the game and its world than the trailers suggest.

Listening to GameBeat Decides and they were discussing a listener question: "The follow ups to multiple Game of the Year winners are coming out this year - Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarok, and Zelda. In your opinion, which is most likely to win the award at The Game Awards?" Grubb and Minotti both felt like they dismissed Zelda as unlikely, despite being super fans of the original.

I'm confused. Why does Jeff need to be called out?

I just can’t believe Nintendo decided to merge Pokemon and Zelda and cancel all future Zelda-only games going forward

^

don't mind me - just shit posting out of boredom. all they said was that they assumed the game was just going to be samey or so weird that it'd be divisive
I’ve no doubt in my mind that BotW2 will be the best game this year, but if “winning GotY” means getting the most GotY awards (as tracked by that one blog), I think either Elden Ring or GoW2 will get the most awards, even if they’re less original than BotW2 in the end.

One look at all the recent recent “winners” tells me where the gaming media’s priorities lie, and it is not gameplay innovation. Not by a long shot.

The regular edition and the collector's edition go in and out of stock like every other day. That's how I got it a couple a weeks ago. The collector's edition was back in stock at gamestop and amazon the last 24 hours...but they're now sold out again. I would put alerts up at deku for either one https://www.dekudeals.com/search?q=danganronpa.

The collector's is pricey at $100 but eventually it will be out of stock for good and it will really jump in price.
Thanks I'll do that. Not interested in the collector's edition so hopefully that helps my chances

My mom just informed me that my sister tested positive for Covid. She probably got it when she went out to the city for New Years Eve. Thankfully she only seems a little sick and my parents, whom she lives with, appear to not have gotten it. My sister has been sick the whole week but my mom just informed me today. She probably didn't want me to worry but also knew I'd be fucking pissed at my sister, which I am.

Just opened Pokémon unite for the first time since launch and fuck, that game is way more polished than it has any right being

One look at all the recent recent “winners” tells me where the gaming media’s priorities lie, and it is not gameplay innovation. Not by a long shot.
Games aren't supposed to have nerdy shit like "gameplay," they're supposed to have:

New poll is up, sorry it's so depressing. I thought it would be a subject to help generate positive discussion and maybe some tips to help our collective mental health.

I’ve no doubt in my mind that BotW2 will be the best game this year, but if “winning GotY” means getting the most GotY awards (as tracked by that one blog), I think either Elden Ring or GoW2 will get the most awards, even if they’re less original than BotW2 in the end.

At the risk of taking what's already a pretty silly question too seriously (I mean, we haven't played any of these games) - Breath of the Wild won a ton of Game of the Year awards, around the same # as God of War did in it's own year. Both of them were up against quite some talent in their respective years as well.

I don't think there's any chance that Zelda is going to be underappreciated among outlets. Trying to not consider my own very obvious bias towards the original, I feel it's got as good of a shot at stealing the show as any title ever has.

Last edited:
It feels very strange to say it, but my life is actually a lot better now than it was in 2019, prior to covid.

Right before the pandemic, I was diagnosed with cancer, and the prognosis was uncertain. I was terrified it was going to kill me. Since then, treatment went extremely well and I am now over 18 months cancer free.

I was also chronically single since 2014, but a few months ago I met someone amazing and we're now in the best relationship I've ever had.

While the pandemic has certainly been a terrifying time for me as an OCD sufferer, 2020 and 2021 were strangely years of immense positive change in my life.

As for how I'm dealing with it day to day, I'm just doing what I can to minimize my risk and trying to focus on work, hobbies, and the many positive things I have to be thankful for.

For those who are vaccinated, just keep in mind that 90% of those being hospitalized with severe cases are unvaccinated. While cases numbers are rising up, the vaccine is still accomplishing its primary goal of preventing severe illness and death. Unlike a year ago, we have ways of protecting ourselves. If you're unvaccinated, then I have no comforting words. I want you to be scared. Get vaccinated, get boosted. Do what is right for yourself and your loved ones.

For those who are vaccinated, just keep in mind that 90% of those being hospitalized with severe cases are unvaccinated. While cases numbers are rising up, the vaccine is still accomplishing its primary goal of preventing severe illness and death. Unlike a year ago, we have ways of protecting ourselves. If you're unvaccinated, then I have no comforting words. I want you to be scared. Get vaccinated, get boosted. Do what is right for yourself and your loved ones.

I'm fully vaccinated, but I just wanted to comment..

We should be mindful that some that aren't vaccinated do have medical reasons for it - there exists all sorts, many just obstinate, but some legitimate. I would ask that we be mindful on statements like 'be scared'. I can imagine a case where somebody feels especially helpless and isolated with the knowledge of how terrifically Omicron is sweeping through the population.

Last edited:

With all due respect, shouldn't games be about more than just the gameplay itself? Every game that wins GOTY deserves it in one form or another, whether that's a fantastic story (TLOU2 and Disco Elysium), a beautiful world to explore (RDR2), or amazing gameplay (BOTW). Cinematic games are just as good as open games, story driven games can be just as good as games with terrible stories (but good gameplay), a game with terrible graphics can be just as good as a game with great graphics. That's what makes this medium so great. It can be an interactive movie, an interactive novel, or neither.

BOTW2 will be great, but so will all the other games. Sorry for the mini rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom