• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say it's the Dark Souls of BotW/Monster Hunter-like Pokemon games?

All I know is that you have to say Dark Souls whenever you are recommending something to someone. Example:

"Would you recommend this doctor?"
"Absolutely. The appointments are just like Dark Souls".

All I know is that you have to say Dark Souls whenever you are recommending something to someone. Example:

"Would you recommend this doctor?"
"Absolutely. The appointments are just like Dark Souls".
This is the Dark Souls of forum posts.

I‘m not the biggest Pokemon fan and i only played Pokemon Moon for more than 3 hours (didnt finish it tho).
But Pokemon Legends: Arceus is so much fun that i can’t stop playing. They really nailed the gameplay. Graphics are okay and sometimes i think the game can look good. Obviously it’s technically bad but i enjoy the artstyle and animations.

Today, on repeat in my mind, is the start screen music from Skies of Arcadia which is probably my favourite start screen along with Ocarina of Time and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Skies of Arcadia really needs to be on Switch. I guess it's not outlandish it comes to NSO during Switch Gen 2.
Yes

Dreamcast games on NSO
Yes

GameCube games on NSO = Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Granted, I'd prefer a simple remaster with the Legends content but the higher quality audio of the original plus proper wide-screen support over an emulated 4:3 GameCube release, but still.
Yes

Saturn games on NSO

Seriously though, i would subscribe in a heartbeat if they actually did that, especially if they start picking from the absurdly long list of Japan only titles.
Yes

One of the best things about Dreamcast NSO would finally being able to get the not completely and utterly borked version of Sonic Adventure, after several years of SEGA making us suffer the DX version
Yesss

I'm still not entirely sold on Arceus.

As an unrepentant genwunner who couldn't even finish Let's Go Eevee but loves Monster Hunter and BotW sell me on Arceus..... Now!
it good buy now

As an unrepentant genwunner who couldn't even finish Let's Go Eevee but loves Monster Hunter and BotW sell me on Arceus..... Now!
in all seriousness, Arceus isn’t BotW and isn’t Monster Hunter, nor is it Xenoblade

but it has some dna from all of those woven into what I can only describe as an amazing experience

it’s actually much more like Pokémon Snap… but with agency? and light crafting? almost a dash of Animal Crossing? and uh, in all seriousness, a pinch of Bugsnax?

but what makes it totally stand out for me is that it doesn’t just feel like it’s those things tacked onto a Pokémon game

it feels like it’s own thing that just… makes a lot of sense. there’s so much more risk and reward, so much more intrigue and tension, all kinds of exploring and shenanigans, and like… the plot (while being nonsense) is somehow less nonsensical than other Pokémon games

and none of that is because it’s trying to not be Pokémon — instead it feels more Pokémon than ever

the battles are quick and dynamic, catching Pokémon is fun and has depth, and everything feels quick and smooth

it’s the kind of game you really have to at least try. and I think if you play it, you’ll love it.

I also love that within an hour of gameplay, instead of me incinerating a horse, a horse incinerated me

I usually don't mind having weekend duty at the newspaper because I don't have to use my research/writing brain but it took me 3 fookin hours to edit one article by a freelancer who is usually 10000x better than this and now I gotta coordinate shit and it feels literally like this

in all seriousness, Arceus isn’t BotW and isn’t Monster Hunter, nor is it Xenoblade

but it has some dna from all of those woven into what I can only describe as an amazing experience

it’s actually much more like Pokémon Snap… but with agency? and light crafting? almost a dash of Animal Crossing? and uh, in all seriousness, a pinch of Bugsnax?

but what makes it totally stand out for me is that it doesn’t just feel like it’s those things tacked onto a Pokémon game

it feels like it’s own thing that just… makes a lot of sense. there’s so much more risk and reward, so much more intrigue and tension, all kinds of exploring and shenanigans, and like… the plot (while being nonsense) is somehow less nonsensical than other Pokémon games

and none of that is because it’s trying to not be Pokémon — instead it feels more Pokémon than ever

the battles are quick and dynamic, catching Pokémon is fun and has depth, and everything feels quick and smooth

it’s the kind of game you really have to at least try. and I think if you play it, you’ll love it.
That's an awesome description.

I'm getting it for sure.

This is about the Yacht Club Games announcement from a few days ago but I just thought this video was funny

As much as I love Mario and Rabbids, it never really "stuck" with me and I overlook it in the Switch library. I realized this as I was looking over the new year's line-up, where I similarly keep discounting M+R 2. Luckily, it has the additional hook of Galaxy elements which we're overdue on a return to... but it made me think.

My core discomfort with the game is that it gave mario and the gang guns. It feels (unsurprisingly, developed by a third party) like it goes against Nintendo / Mario's core design philosophy where game and universe elements are so tightly intertwined. You could swap out the Mario cast and still have the core of the game in tact, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's an absolutely wonderful game, don't get me wrong, but playing Legends has me reflecting on the Switch's stand-out titles and its interesting how a game doesn't have to be a 10/10 to be that. I think Legends is rightfully an 7/8 so far, but it's such a mind-blowing experience in the way that BotW and Odyssey were back in 2017.

As much as I love Mario and Rabbids, it never really "stuck" with me and I overlook it in the Switch library. I realized this as I was looking over the new year's line-up, where I similarly keep discounting M+R 2. Luckily, it has the additional hook of Galaxy elements which we're overdue on a return to... but it made me think.

My core discomfort with the game is that it gave mario and the gang guns. It feels (unsurprisingly, developed by a third party) like it goes against Nintendo / Mario's core design philosophy where game and universe elements are so tightly intertwined. You could swap out the Mario cast and still have the core of the game in tact, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's an absolutely wonderful game, don't get me wrong, but playing Legends has me reflecting on the Switch's stand-out titles and its interesting how a game doesn't have to be a 10/10 to be that. I think Legends is rightfully an 7/8 so far, but it's such a mind-blowing experience in the way that BotW and Odyssey were back in 2017.
I think this is an interesting take. I see where you’re coming from but personally I feel the exact opposite in that I like how they put Mario and his universe in this completely new and unprecedented context. In fact, if they had swapped Mario for any other franchise, I probably would have overlooked it entirely. As someone who grew up playing Mario games almost exclusively, I’ve found that putting Mario into different genres has gotten me to play genres I otherwise wouldn’t have (namely RPGs). It’s sort of like the gaming equivalent of hiding a pill in a piece of cheese you get your dog to eat it (I don’t have a dog but that’s a thing people do, right?)

Do you think that BotW2 was announced "too early"? I've seen some mentions of this, that the game shouldn't be showed back in 2019 if it meant being silent for 2 years.

I don't know. I think on the contrary that these past few years has really seen the game drum up a ton of hype. The 2 trailers are almost at 10m+ views each, and feels like excitement are at a level that I don't think it would be if it wasn't showed in 2019.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yesss
I read this post with this voice

transformers-yesss.gif

Having not played Mario + Rabbids (I have it just haven't played it yet) I feel the Mario with a gun meme is overblown. Same thing with Kirby with a gun. They used laser weapons and buster cannons in M+R. They aren't realistic looking guns. Kirby can get a blunderbuss in Forgotten Land. While of course based on a real gun, it has been a staple of cartoons for years. It doesn't look that out of place in a Kirby game. Mario and Kirby have been able to use the super scope and energy pistol in Smash for over 20 years now so the idea of Mario and Kirby using cartoonish projectile weapons isn't even anything new.

I think this is an interesting take. I see where you’re coming from but personally I feel the exact opposite in that I like how they put Mario and his universe in this completely new and unprecedented context. In fact, if they had swapped Mario for any other franchise, I probably would have overlooked it entirely. As someone who grew up playing Mario games almost exclusively, I’ve found that putting Mario into different genres has gotten me to play genres I otherwise wouldn’t have (namely RPGs). It’s sort of like the gaming equivalent of hiding a pill in a piece of cheese you get your dog to eat it (I don’t have a dog but that’s a thing people do, right?)
Mmm I see that too and dont disagree! The game definitely got me back into strategy games and led to me purchasing Three Houses (which heh, may or may not still be in my backlog). I think our points don't necessarily conflict with one another. You describe the trojan horse that got my eyes on the game and got me to pick it up, but then I describe the sort of hollow feeling it left me with since the two parts don't perfectly mesh.

While we're on the topic, Rabbid's Go Home desperately needs an HD port, that game deserved better.

This is just one of things I have against the game. You cannot give Mario a laser gun without changing his design a little. Nintendo's new rule of "mario stays same" kinda hurt the game. It needed to be one of the titles where Mario was not Mr Giggles (Mario & Luigi, Mario Strikers).

Do you think that BotW2 was announced "too early"? I've seen some mentions of this, that the game shouldn't be showed back in 2019 if it meant being silent for 2 years.

I don't know. I think on the contrary that these past few years has really seen the game drum up a ton of hype. The 2 trailers are almost at 10m+ views each, and feels like excitement are at a level that I don't think it would be if it wasn't showed in 2019.

BOTW 2 was shown "early" because Nintendo wanted to sell Switches. Some titles are so big that it's advantageous to announce them early. Look at FF VII Remake. Announced years before it ever came out but got people hyped to buy a Playstation 4. BOTW 2 serves that same role. The only reason why people say it was announced too early is because...well I don't know, probably because they are impatient and while they wait, they need something irrelevant to complain about in the mean time.

This is just one of things I have against the game. You cannot give Mario a laser gun without changing his design a little. Nintendo's new rule of "mario stays same" kinda hurt the game. It needed to be one of the titles where Mario was not Mr Giggles (Mario & Luigi, Mario Strikers).
YES, this. There was no universe explanation or justification for the hard change in mechanics. It just kind of... happened and Mario looks more like "Nintendo Mascot" Mario than anything else.

we want this
yoshi%27s-safari-snes-cover-eu.jpg

I doubt Nintendo meant to be silent for 2 years. In September 2019 they had no idea the world would change the way it did just a few months later, or that game development in Japan would be so suddenly and severely derailed.

One of the best things about Dreamcast NSO would finally being able to get the not completely and utterly borked version of Sonic Adventure, after several years of SEGA making us suffer the DX version
you can get this on steam with 5min of downloading mods fwiw

we want this
yoshi%27s-safari-snes-cover-eu.jpg
Funny, I had this game but I don't remember Mario being in it. Just Yoshi throwing eggs at innocent turtle folk. Hell he's not even on the actual boxart:

Yoshi%27s_Safari_Coverart.png

And no. We do NOT want this. It was garbage, as every other Super Scope games were.

Remember how they were actually able to bring back the old NES Zapper games like Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman on the Wii U VC, using IR pointer controls with the Wiimote?

Shame it's been lost all over again.

People complain about games being announced to early only when it's Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony always announce games 2-3 years away and people are totally fine with it. Plus, Botw 2, and Nintendo as a whole, seem to have been heavily impacted by COVID.

Playing Ocarina of Time at a leisurely pace the last 2 weekends has been great. I'd much prefer to have the 3DS version upgraded for Switch, but playing the N64 original for the first time in over a decade, and for the first time since 1999 with the original controller, is still a great experience.

Especially loving the frequent Zelda whimsy, like the Forest Stage, the half-naked guy who sells beans to kids at outrageous prices, and all the other little touches.

Warning: Don't watch it if you don't want to get more upset about Star Fox Adventures!

I can't be upset about Star Fox Adventures, since I was always in favor of the switch of IPs/branding; --So now, at very least, Nintendo is in control over the game and characters created for it. 'v'

Rare's legacy wasn't very well treated in Microsoft's hands; not at least until we eventually got Rare Replay.

I don't get this reference, so I'll just say... yes?
It's from the opening to "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" by Meat Loaf, wherein a series of questions is posed to the male voice, the answer always being "yes" louder and sexier each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom