• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
on the topic of Neil Cicierega, I want y’all to know that I sang All Star to Float On at a gay bar

the dude running it got so, so mad at me

remains to this day the angriest I’ve ever made a twink!

BRB finding a queer karaoke bar to sing Bustin' at

Would you say you live a jaded lie?
Shitposts could never save the day 🎶
bb0WN9M.gif

on the topic of Neil Cicierega, I want y’all to know that I sang All Star to Float On at a gay bar

the dude running it got so, so mad at me

remains to this day the angriest I’ve ever made a twink!

I'll have you know this is the first thing I heard upon waking up this morning.

Really sets a tone. 🤣

Some of us from the Nintendo Speculation Alliance have been ordered to take back Nintendo General Discussion from the Shitpost Abyss. This thread is for discussing Nintendo.

DOj1Hl.gif

It's not meant for fun and it most certainly isn't meant for games!

DKtHKi.gif

Well Nomura and Kitase did say it was inspired by Advent Children, after all
Saw that as a teen. Like 15 years ago.

Can’t remember much, which is saying something as I was a huge FFVII nerd back then. Played that game with Vincent too.

The fact that I have no desire to see it again saids enough about what teenage me thought.

This is my reminder to myself that I was last on page 57 and am slowly playing catch up on everything I need to know; I've read some of the threadmarks, but I'll want to catch up properly nevertheless 😋

But anyways, was this Stardew Valley update tease shared here recently in the last couple days?

tl;dw high profile SDV modder made an announcement in a Discord server that they unofficially expect the update to drop between February 26th and March 12th, or shortly thereafter as a warning to modders to ensure they are prepared. No beta, it'll be an immediate public release.

Stardew Valley's 8th anniversary is on February 26th, which does coincide with the news.

As you were, good people 😶‍🌫️

Some of us from the Nintendo Speculation Alliance have been ordered to take back Nintendo General Discussion from the Shitpost Abyss. This thread is for discussing Nintendo.

DOj1Hl.gif

DKtHKi.gif
tumblr_msmhnw28DA1rw80z2o1_500.gif

This is my reminder to myself that I was last on page 57 and am slowly playing catch up on everything I need to know; I've read some of the threadmarks, but I'll want to catch up properly nevertheless 😋

But anyways, was this Stardew Valley update tease shared here recently in the last couple days?

tl;dw high profile SDV modder made an announcement in a Discord server that they unofficially expect the update to drop between February 26th and March 12th, or shortly thereafter as a warning to modders to ensure they are prepared. No beta, it'll be an immediate public release.

Stardew Valley's 8th anniversary is on February 26th, which does coincide with the news.

Good news. Very tempted to start a new save file for this.

I guess we can talk about Nintendo since we're supposed to be shitposting

Not that I have anything to say about them at the moment

Ah this point you just have to embrace the bullshit. Nomura isn't going to make a coherent story and all of his characters are going to have a very Nomura look and feel to them.
Between the Nomuraness of Remake and the GoT/DMCness of FFXVI I'm just gonna wait for the next Sakaguchi FF

Ah this point you just have to embrace the bullshit. Nomura isn't going to make a coherent story and all of his characters are going to have a very Nomura look and feel to them.
After criticizing Remake for its writing and whatnot. A recent playthough made me go.

No what? This is entertaining and goofy as hell. I’ll just ride along and see Rebirth as a spectacle

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kitase mainly responsible for FF7R? I get that things can still feel "Nomura" if he doesn't write but sometimes it's a bit silly seeing people blame Nomura for things he isn't even involved in much xD

Looking forward to this update hitting the Switch a few months after that!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kitase mainly responsible for FF7R? I get that things can still feel "Nomura" if he doesn't write but sometimes it's a bit silly seeing people blame Nomura for things he isn't even involved in much xD
I just saw the Advent Children re-release the other day and they had like a 20-30min interview thing at the beginning about Remake/Rebirth and they sure seemed to focus on Nomura quite a bit.

Nomura is still the guiding influence on the whole FF VII Remake project. It's not coincidence that Kitsae's work is seemingly indistinguishable to Nomura's. Compare FF VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy 14 and 16. You can easily tell the styles of those are different based on who is leading those projects.

Maybe its on my side, but today I've been logged out every time I've entered the site. I even have the "keep me signed in" mark.

Maybe it's just because I'm one of those tasteless heathens who likes the compilation content but I'm much more excited for Rebirth because it changes things. "Holy Materia what weird shit are they gonna pull next" is more enticing to me than "can't wait to see this bit in 4K".
Not saying its a bad thing to want the same game but modern, like that would be more than enough but a re-imagining/requel etc feels more exciting.
And sure if the narrative stumbles in Rebirth as much as reviews have said that's a shame, but they've still got a third game to bring it all together. Whether it all works out satisfying in the end will probably be subjective, but we don't know for sure which is a nice change for a "remake" especially for such a well known story.

Playing the Intermission DLC a few weeks ago reminded how terrible Remake was with blending all of the characters seamlessly together. You can basically break down any character into one of three categories

1. Character from the original FF VII - Have the most detail. Very recognizable.

2. Character original to Remake - Definitely have a post-2000 Nomura design. More anime looking than even their original FF VII cast but oddly they feel more generic and don't stand out as much as individuals.

3. Basic ass NPC - Wears normal looking clothes which completely clash with the over the top designs of significant characters. Normal looking people on a train downing who the terrorists could be standing next to a dude with a giant sword. Yuffie runs around Shinra HQ in her ninja outfit while everyone in suits don't seem to notice her.

I get that significant characters will have more details than NPCs but I feel Remake was the most glaring discrepancy I've seen in a game.

Personally, I think I'm fine not bothering with FF anymore. XII was the last one I enjoyed all the way through, and that one's almost old enough to legally drive a car on their own over here in Germany. FF7R was ... fine. Left me feeling cold for the most part. Good game in my eyes, but nothing more. Can't say I care about Rebirth other than wanting to see Square finally stop their exclusivity bullshit with the series.
A big shake up with XVII could still get me interested, I guess. Still a big question mark, currently, but I'm slightly pessimistic.

Playing the Intermission DLC a few weeks ago reminded how terrible Remake was with blending all of the characters seamlessly together. You can basically break down any character into one of three categories

1. Character from the original FF VII - Have the most detail. Very recognizable.

2. Character original to Remake - Definitely have a post-2000 Nomura design. More anime looking than even their original FF VII cast but oddly they feel more generic and don't stand out as much as individuals.

3. Basic ass NPC - Wears normal looking clothes which completely clash with the over the top designs of significant characters. Normal looking people on a train downing who the terrorists could be standing next to a dude with a giant sword. Yuffie runs around Shinra HQ in her ninja outfit while everyone in suits don't seem to notice her.

I get that significant characters will have more details than NPCs but I feel Remake was the most glaring discrepancy I've seen in a game.
I think Tim Rogers put it best when he said that some NPCs look like they were tourists visiting from FFXI (paraphrased).

It's just a fact of life that you can always spot the main character based on fashion and hair.

642765e088ed0945ae71513e9fab75de.jpg

Spring Training is here! Lemme just tune my radio into the game on the local station, and... oh, YSU basketball instead.
(grumpy noises)

speaking of square, i can't believe how mismanaged the dragon quest IP is, and we can't even blame SE since horii makes the big decisions. the whole generation went by and we barely got anything mainline wise. 11 was mismanaged af and they had to do 6 different versions to get the sales they wanted, 3 hd2d is MIA, they've done NOTHING with the older games meanwhile they've put old FF games on everything. there's perfectly fine mobile ports of 4, 5, 6, and 7 remakes that could work very well on PC/consoles but nope. 10 offline seemed like it was made for the west but nope. we got some decent spin offs but they really let the massive switch userbase in japan go to waste when it comes to dragon quest. they could have easily had 3 or 4 million sellers there.

Last edited:
speaking of square, i can't believe how mismanaged the dragon quest IP is, and we can't even blame SE since horii makes the big decisions. the whole generation went by and we barely got anything mainline wise. 11 was mismanaged af and they had to do 6 different versions to get the sales they wanted, 3 hd2d is MIA, they've done NOTHING with the older games meanwhile they've put old FF games on everything. there's perfectly fine mobile ports of 4, 5, 6, and 7 remakes that could work very well on PC/consoles but nope. 11 offline seemed like it was made for the west but nope. we got some decent spin offs but they really let the massive switch userbase in japan go to waste when it comes to dragon quest. they could have easily had 3 or 4 million sellers there.
Even crazier when you see the modern success of franchises like Yakuza/Like a Dragon and Monster Hunter internationally, both of which were in similar positions as Dragon Quest as franchises that just did not gain as much traction outside of Japan for many of its early releases. It just feels like between lack of investment in getting steady releases for their big franchises (why is it taking so long to capitalize on success of Nier: Automata?), the continued fragmentation of their game releases thanks to exclusive/timed exclusive deals and a lack of desire to have their games available everywhere (why should Microsoft have to pay for Octopath Traveler on Game Pass and then lose out on its sequel?), and their allergy to market their own smaller/medium-sized games they release (what happened to Neo: The World Ends with You as an example)...Square just keeps shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason. They seem to have this image of themselves as a premier studio that seems to drive these business decisions, like companies should be chasing after their games similar to how Nintendo finds success in its consoles thanks to their franchises, that just seem to lead to them devaluating that very image as less people have access to their games and choose instead to engage in franchises they do have access to.

Even crazier when you see the modern success of franchises like Yakuza/Like a Dragon and Monster Hunter internationally, both of which were in similar positions as Dragon Quest as franchises that just did not gain as much traction outside of Japan for many of its early releases. It just feels like between lack of investment in getting steady releases for their big franchises (why is it taking so long to capitalize on success of Nier: Automata?), the continued fragmentation of their game releases thanks to exclusive/timed exclusive deals and a lack of desire to have their games available everywhere (why should Microsoft have to pay for Octopath Traveler on Game Pass and then lose out on its sequel?), and their allergy to market their own smaller/medium-sized games they release (what happened to Neo: The World Ends with You as an example)...Square just keeps shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason. They seem to have this image of themselves as a premier studio that seems to drive these business decisions, like companies should be chasing after their games similar to how Nintendo finds success in its consoles thanks to their franchises, that just seem to lead to them devaluating that very image as less people have access to their games and choose instead to engage in franchises they do have access to.
honestly it's ridiculous how this gen SE straight up is just selling their games to platform holders instead of their fans. how many exclusivity/marketing deals can one publisher make? it seems like there's not a single SE game this gen where some form of money wasn't involved to limit who can play their games or have then hand the marketing responsibility to someone else.

DOj1Hl.gif

DKtHKi.gif
oh what did you run out of places to speculate

y’all I have it on good authority that our shitposts are corrupting the AI and it’s furious with us

keep it up, we’re winning

on that note, however, we’re out of weekends to schedule a funeral — so we’re having it today

see u there

y’all I have it on good authority that our shitposts are corrupting the AI and it’s furious with us

keep it up, we’re winning

on that note, however, we’re out of weekends to schedule a funeral — so we’re having it today

see u there
Ave Mario!

I think we can all at least start the funeral on the next page, but the period for speaking fondly of the dead and milling about will be extended until at least the end of the month

oh right I should shitpost a bit, bonus boss we’re ruining etc etc

so uh. Nintendo?

more like I n’t on in te end-o

uhhhh

Well I'm on my way to the funeral, but I can leave some sort of shitpost while I'm here. Never been very good at this part, specifically. Hm.

"Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash? The only Ultra Smashing that game performed was on my brain after playing it!" That makes sense, right? Sure, why not. Post Reply.

uhhhh

Well I'm on my way to the funeral, but I can leave some sort of shitpost while I'm here. Never been very good at this part, specifically. Hm.

"Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash? The only Ultra Smashing that game performed was on my brain after playing it!" That makes sense, right? Sure, why not. Post Reply.
more like ultra smashed…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom