• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been a little bad this week, instead of just focusing on ToTK for the random urge to do my semi annual replay of sonic adventure. Wrapped up knuckles and big today and just have sonic and finale left. Now to crawl up in the loft and play rhapsody. Feeling drowsy so won’t last too long… I’m kind of lost tho so I’ll probably look up where that final stone is

Lucy-Date2.jpg
This is a very good reminder that I should reload one of my saves and gun for Lucy. She is adorable!

I love this feeling when I'm playing through an amazing game, and every day I'm like "hey, tonight after work I get to play TOTK!" or every morning "hey, can't wait to see what emergent little stories and adventures I get up to today!"

Really makes the days go by more pleasantly. :)

How’s Tales of Arise? I’m thinking of grabbing it on Steam Deck since Bamco still hasn’t quite figured out how to get their flagship titles on Switch. Only other Tales game I’ve played is Vesperia.
The last dungeon is a bit of a slog, but apart from that it's an excellent J-RPG, great combat system, great story, and some of the best written characters in recent years.

Zelda has fried my brain
My mind feels numb
There's so much game in this game
One hour I'm playing through a game, the next hour I feel like I'm playing a whole other game
The technical achievement is astounding
But it's also pretty damn overwhelming

Zelda has fried my brain
My mind feels numb
There's so much game in this game
One hour I'm playing through a game, the next hour I feel like I'm playing a whole other game
The technical achievement is astounding
But it's also pretty damn overwhelming

We had a holiday yesterday here in Germany. It's actually some religious one (don't ask me which) ... but it's usually referred to "Father's Day" by everyone.

So one part of the Mrs. gift for me was her taking the kids and going to her parents for the afternoon (of course, she also has to celebrate with her father).
I did nothing but playing Zelda from the moment they left the door.

And the game was so immersive and i so drawn into it, that it legit felt like they were gone for a couple of minutes. I was so surprised when they came back that i was like "Oh you're back already?".
Wife just said: "Already? We were gone for almost 4 hours!"

Me:
200w.gif

We had a holiday yesterday here in Germany. It's actually some religious one (don't ask me which) ... but it's usually referred to "Father's Day" by everyone.

So one part of the Mrs. gift for me was her taking the kids and going to her parents for the afternoon (of course, she also has to celebrate with her father).
I did nothing but playing Zelda from the moment they left the door.

And the game was so immersive and i so drawn into it, that it legit felt like they were gone for a couple of minutes. I was so surprised when they came back that i was like "Oh you're back already?".
Wife just said: "Already? We were gone for almost 4 hours!"

Me:
200w.gif
I can definitely relate to the lost time phenomenon. What messes me up is I'll have a goal in mind then on my way there'll be other things to check out and so I have a look and do whatever that is and then in doing that I notice another thing so I go check that out, etc and before I know it I've lost hours and never actually did the thing I wanted to do.

Oh also the gloomy hands are some bullshit

I can definitely relate to the lost time phenomenon. What messes me up is I'll have a goal in mind then on my way there'll be other things to check out and so I have a look and do whatever that is and then in doing that I notice another thing so I go check that out, etc and before I know it I've lost hours and never actually did the thing I wanted to do.

Hmh, preach.

That was actually a large part of my playtime yesterday. First i was like "Yahaha! Doing sidequests and shrines!" and ended up like this:

"Okay, i'm in a cave, fighting them Yiga, stealing their bananas and for some reason saving a lady from Hateno they "randomly" kidnapped to make suits for them.

Maybe the game needs a warning disclaimer for people with ADHD? ^^

Good God, you lot weren't lying about not being able to stop playing. I've got my copy yesterday and since I did not have much time I played during my lunch break, before going out with the gf and today morning while having coffee before going to work. I managed to finish the first three thingys but still haven't concluded the tutorial area.
So far is a completely new game for me since I've yet to step on familiar places, but I'm enjoying a lot, and wish I could play more :').

Last edited:
Realized this morning Nintendo had a nice 1-2 punch in the last 6 weeks between Mario making bank at the movies and Zelda selling like hotcakes again.

Even if the rest of the year is pretty quiet it’s been a hell of a year.

So the new project from Inti Creates is Umbraclaw, a 2D side scroller where you control a cat, very distinctive from what they have done before and I love that art style.

That art style is going to be fun to see in motion! Hoping to hear more about it at BitSummit later this year!

Last edited:
Realized this morning Nintendo had a nice 1-2 punch in the last 6 weeks between Mario making bank at the movies and Zelda selling like hotcakes again.

Even if the rest of the year is pretty quiet it’s been a hell of a year.

That art style is going to be fun to see in motion! Hoping to hear more about it at BitSummit later this year!
Its actually going to be presented this weekend at the indie live expo

I was gonna say Initial D because:
  • seasons 1, 2, and "3" were basically back-to-back
  • "season 3" ended up being a movie (which made it feel like a big finale)
  • then a gap of three years before surprise season 4
  • also season 4 ended with a weird text card that said something like "Takumi just keeps driving on..." which sounded to me like a cop-out way of cutting the series short (Gainax did something really similar at the abrupt end of Kare Kano)
  • then six damn years before season 5
  • plus network changes between seasons and such
But I think in hindsight it was probably just a really tough show to produce with all the CGI car action and my brain simply perceived the gaps as cancellations and the new seasons as out-of-left-field revivals.

Dunno. 😅
Thank you for reminding me I still need to watch Initial D; I asked my friend to add it to his Plex server because I was sick and tired of trying to figure out the order of shit quality episodes on YouTube playlists that were missing a third of each season lol

Real shit, I just encountered them for the first time last night and after killing me twice (once because I didn't know what to expect and couldn't escape, and the second time because I misjudged the blast radius of a bomb plant attached to an arrow trying to attack them from a ledge lol) I logged out for the night

Woah. TIL the OLED is pretty comfortable in handheld mode with the kickstand folded all the way back!

How’s Tales of Arise? I’m thinking of grabbing it on Steam Deck since Bamco still hasn’t quite figured out how to get their flagship titles on Switch. Only other Tales game I’ve played is Vesperia.
Overall a fun game, but pretty medium Tales for me personally. It’s very pretty and has great presentation, the combat is fun and engaging, and the characters are pretty good.

But what really hurt the game for me is that the story, and more specifically the story pacing and how things are revealed and shown to the player, is often abysmally terrible for no good reason. There were multiple times that a story cutscene would happen and leave me either confused or wondering why I should care about something or why a character is acting the way they are, only for the game to explain why in an optional skit like five seconds later. But at that point it’s too late and you’ve already missed out on what could’ve been an emotional connection to the cutscene, so the game just undermined itself. And it does this on multiple occasions, which I find baffling.

Overall a fun game, but pretty medium Tales for me personally. It’s very pretty and has great presentation, the combat is fun and engaging, and the characters are pretty good.

But what really hurt the game for me is that the story, and more specifically the story pacing and how things are revealed and shown to the player, is often abysmally terrible for no good reason. There were multiple times that a story cutscene would happen and leave me either confused or wondering why I should care about something or why a character is acting the way they are, only for the game to explain why in an optional skit like five seconds later. But at that point it’s too late and you’ve already missed out on what could’ve been an emotional connection to the cutscene, so the game just undermined itself. And it does this on multiple occasions, which I find baffling.

I know skits are Tales' thing but I think they overuse them often. In Vesperia, you'll have a cutscene, take two steps, get a skit, and then about 20 more steps, you get another one. It completely messed us the pacing. There will be at times where the cast needs to allegedly get somewhere quick but then they have skits every 5 minutes, all of them ending with one character saying that they don't time to keep talking and they everyone should hurry. I think there's a time in place for skits. Towns for instance. But in the middle of dungeons, having them so frequently kills the pace.

Kind of interesting how the deck was essentially cleared for Tears of the Kingdom to dominate gaming discussion in May. Not that it wasn't but there isn't anything else to really compete with it for discussion. Jedi Survivor came out in late April and it had some big technical issues despite it being a good game based on peoples' impressions. Redfall was....well, we know. Suicide Squad yeeted itself from May to all the way into next year.

The Sony showcase will be a big topic but in terms of stuff people are actually playing, the only thing left to compete with TotK is the Diablo IV beta and maybe Gollum? (lol).

As a big fan of the series, Arise at best I could say is decent enough and at worst pretty miserable (which for me is a lot of its runtime).

Any fun from the battle system is negated by the extremely spongy enemies, lack of variety to the point of having bosses repeated as normal enemies as one goes along, and a fairly boring combat all things considered with the over reliance on the pair finisher as the more efficient way to defeat them, destroying any sense of personal play style, I guess in some fairness the combat system has been going downhill since Zestiria but this one is actually boring for me.

Presentation wise the sort of watercolor style they were trying to go for doesn't work, like idk how with apparently bigger budget it still looks less appealing than the game from 2008; and the music is the worst in the series, a combination forgettable tunes and a very monotone style to them, as in everything blends together.

Story and characters are a mixed bag, the first like 20 or so hours are pretty miserable in terms of tone and characters for this series, it starts to pick up after that, but the last third of the game is the most horribly paced thing that it kind of undermines whatever enjoyment I was actually getting from it. The skits are pretty horrendous as well in terms of the pacing, what once was proper extra, short enough conversations, now are minutes long exposition of important plot points, tutorials, and repeating bits from the last cutscene you just watched, I'll say that the usage of skits have been missing the point in terms of lenght and where to use them with Zestiria and Berseria, but they were at least still interesting and entertaining for the most part, and still used the 2D art instead of Arise's charmless 3D skits.

One positive thing I'll give the game tho, is that it scaled back on the overworld size, is more meaningful to explore than the more empty open fields that started in Xillia.

There is a demo, but I don't know how helpful it will be.

This is all based on the demo: I tried it and it did not clicked for me. While the combat is flashy it felt like it had no weight behind it, not to mention the HP sponges regular enemies were. You can try all the characters in the demo so thats a plus. While graphically its better than previous Tales, I felt that the move to UE4 gives it a bland look (kinda how One Piece Odyssey lacks that charm) imo. Main cast looks decent. Environment (at least in the demo area) was a glorified hallway.

So I think I found out something about the Switch today. I posted yesterday that my Xenoblade 2 hours played dropped in rankings in my play time. I noticed last night that BOTW also dropped then it hit me, both games released and I played both in 2017 so I thought what else did I play in 2017 and I remembered Mario Odyssey and wouldn't you know my play time for that dropped all the way to the bottom. So it looks like games I played in 2017 have their play time dropped/erased from 2017. This sucks, I know it doesn't matter but I liked looking at the rankings and now it's ruined.

So I think I found out something about the Switch today. I posted yesterday that my Xenoblade 2 hours played dropped in rankings in my play time. I noticed last night that BOTW also dropped then it hit me, both games released and I played both in 2017 so I thought what else did I play in 2017 and I remembered Mario Odyssey and wouldn't you know my play time for that dropped all the way to the bottom. So it looks like games I played in 2017 have their play time dropped/erased from 2017. This sucks, I know it doesn't matter but I liked looking at the rankings and now it's ruined.
My BotW playtime got nuked at some point, so I know how you feel

So far is a completely new game for me since I've yet to step on familiar places, but I'm enjoying a lot, and wish I could play more :').
Ya know another thing I realized:
when you do get to the surface the game basically plops you near where the goal was in BotW, near the ruins of Castle Town. So anywhere I've gone in TotK I've been approaching from the opposite direction so I don't recognize where I'm going even if it's a place I'm very familiar with. It's wild that such a simple thing worked to make Hyrule suddenly feel that fresh.

Update:
WHAT SPAWNS AFTER YOU BEAT THE GLOOMY HANDS IS SOME BULLSHIT

Weekly Poll #3
Hello everyone, another Friday, and time for the third weekly poll!

Last week, I asked you which was your favourite Zelda dungeon type. Here are the results:

1. Lock-and-Key (5 votes)
1. Puzzle Box (5 votes)
2. Gauntlet (0 votes)

And now, another preference-based poll - What's your favourite arm ability from Tears of the Kingdom?

After the gameplay demonstration back in March, I did a thread called "coolest arm ability?". That poll was based on what we saw in the presentation. Now, however, I figured that we could ask the same question again, one week after the game's release, now that we have had the chance to try them out ourselves.

Is it Fuse, the ability to stick sick stuff together to make even more sick stuff, the ability that let us glue fans to shields and diamonds to weapons? Is it Ascend, the ability that let us almost completely break the game's verticality, mostly by ascending out of caves right into the top of a mountain? Is it Ultrahand, when we just say to hell with it and glue stuff together for shits and giggles? Or is it Recall, the ability to rewind momentum on an object?

Ah, that explains why Emily's name was trending on Twitter yesterday. People have been asking for her to be at the same table as Matt for a long time.

Boy, forgot how hard the opening for dead or alive 2 U goes XD. Also a harsh reminder how much I suck at fighting games. Well back to my sonic adventure replay before I let ToTK suck me in again

Just realized the v2 dark theme on this forum has the same color scheme as the gloom

Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece and I see it taking up most of my free time for the foreseeable future but now that it's out I find myself finally wanting new hardware. The vibes feel like it's time.

So I just got to the Depths in TotK and like I seriously can't understand how this is a video game. This whole thing. It's absolutely nuts, like... unfathomable. Aside from the fact that I still really don't like the crafting (and how they force it on you with what they did to the weapons), I think this is the BotW that I wanted from the beginning, that I've been talking about here this whole time. What they've done with the map is just incredible. Incredible. I just keep thinking to myself "how the fuck did they do this???"

It's 3:30am, I have to go to sleep now.

I just tried to get back to The Witcher 3 and discovered that the Switch version never got the 4.0 update, and probably never will.

I'm utterly bummed about it. Back in 2020 i bought the Switch version digitally so i could transfer my save between it and GOG and play whenever i wanted, but now i transferred my save to PC and it's trapped there.

I don't commute anymore, but i want to save as much as possible on my power bill.

Ended up ordering a copy of the PS4 version from Amazon so i can update it for free instead of paying the Next Gen tax, but i'm not happy about it at all :/

Nate on Era is saying that a Banjo-Kazooie project has been greenlit but also said that Rare has no interest in returning to the series. Sounds like it's going to be developed by another Microsoft studio or a third party developer then. Interesting.

Nate on Era is saying that a Banjo-Kazooie project has been greenlit but also said that Rare has no interest in returning to the series. Sounds like it's going to be developed by another Microsoft studio or a third party developer then. Interesting.
Ah, so that's what EPD 8 has been working on these days...

I just tried to get back to The Witcher 3 and discovered that the Switch version never got the 4.0 update, and probably never will.

I'm utterly bummed about it. Back in 2020 i bought the Switch version digitally so i could transfer my save between it and GOG and play whenever i wanted, but now i transferred my save to PC and it's trapped there.

I don't commute anymore, but i want to save as much as possible on my power bill.

Ended up ordering a copy of the PS4 version from Amazon so i can update it for free instead of paying the Next Gen tax, but i'm not happy about it at all :/
They said we’re getting it at some point, along with the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom