• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send me your strength, friends!
genki-dama-dragon-ball.gif

Oh no, my copy of the ToTK only left the partner shipping facility 2 hrs ago and usps is supposed to deliver(it’s like 3-4 hours away from my post office). Ugh I was right calling it a coin toss. Now I’m worried

Sigh well May as well settle in and watch my 3 anime that drop on Friday then while I wait. Birdie Wing, Otaku Elf and Too Cute Crisis. So Soap opera level drama mixed with mafia and Gundam refs, chilling, and chilling with pets driving aliens insane

Just gotta get through the work day. I need to be productive so I can have less work to do over the weekend. Then I can play Zelda. I'll have time off from work, and I can play all the Zelda I want, and I'll have an absolute blast...but I need to get through this work day.

Send me your strength, friends!
you-got-the-power-you77e7m.gif

I want to buy Fuga melodies of steel 1 to someone. Not sure if the thread is drowning or the interest is just low.

TotK is sucking the air out of the room honestly. Like I’d be interested in Fuga but I don’t know when I would get to it

“new” Daft Punk single
Excuse me, did you say new Daft Punk, holy crap this day keeps getting better

Loving how the industry in general is hyped about Zelda

My last parental leave was literally three days. America!

Anyways, how is that baby thing going?
Being the son of the owner has perks I guess. Nepo baby ftw? This country is terrible.

Anyway! This whole having two kids thing isn’t too bad so far. My wife has been taking care of the baby, and I’ve been taking care of the two year-old. The real challenge will come when I go back to work, and my wife will have both of them by herself. 😳 I have no idea how that’s gonna work!

My twitter feed is a combination of fantasy sports people, researchers, gaming and general news. And seeing all those areas saying something to the effect of "Happy Tear of the Kingdom Day" is amazing and weird lol.

PR social media accounts for multi-national and multi-billion dollar companies slapping each other on the back will never not be weird and cringey

Being the son of the owner has perks I guess. Nepo baby ftw? This country is terrible.

Anyway! This whole having two kids thing isn’t too bad so far. My wife has been taking care of the baby, and I’ve been taking care of the two year-old. The real challenge will come when I go back to work, and my wife will have both of them by herself. 😳 I have no idea how that’s gonna work!
Godspeed to your wife.

And hey, nepotism or not, I'm glad you got time with your kid. That's so important, especially when they are little (and when your wife is exhausted because she just gave birth to a baby human).

Hello Fami. I know this may be difficult times for the site admins who are seeing a sharp decline in shitposts due to the release of Zelda. On my 5 minute break from playing, I donate this one post and slight bit of #engagement so that you may not go hungry tonight.

Hey all. My Switch pro controller is sadly drifting, the left stick of it specifically. It happens now when i'm playing Mario Kart.

Strangely enough when i enter the calibration menu it stays perfectly still. But when i hop back in Mario Kart it's like it has a will on it's own, drifting all over the place.

Is it possible it's a Mario Kart specific issue? I'm going to try out some other games now to see if it's just Mario Kart.

The irrational side of me thinks that it may have something to do with the launch of TOTK. I know it sounds silly, but i don't know, maybe the servers are overloaded or something like that? I just think it's a little suspicious it starts drifting on this particular day after years of loyal and flawless service, but it could be a coincidence.

I'd really appreciate some help and tips here.

Hey all. My Switch pro controller is sadly drifting, the left stick of it specifically. It happens now when i'm playing Mario Kart.

Strangely enough when i enter the calibration menu it stays perfectly still. But when i hop back in Mario Kart it's like it has a will on it's own, drifting all over the place.

Is it possible it's a Mario Kart specific issue? I'm going to try out some other games now to see if it's just Mario Kart.

The irrational side of me thinks that it may have something to do with the launch of TOTK. I know it sounds silly, but i don't know, maybe the servers are overloaded or something like that? I just think it's a little suspicious it starts drifting on this particular day after years of loyal and flawless service, but it could be a coincidence.

Update: I've tried cleaning the left stick with a q-tip, resetting the controller, resetting my Switch, controller updates, and as i said controller calibration. All with no improvement, within Mario Kart at least. I'm going to try out Mario Odyssey now.

Also, during another calibration test after all of this, the left stick still won't move. Very strange.

Did you maybe turn on the auto-steering by accident? That happened to me before.

Everwild seemed kinda BOTW inspired, not to make every open world fantasy game "THE NEW BOTW!?!?!?" and I think it has multiplayer elements but

Though that was apparently basically a concept trailer, not as in it was some tech demo but there's been a reset

Package finally came in the mail, I ran inside, and ripped it open and it’s fucking Dokapon Kingdom Connect not TOTK lmaooo

Dokapon somehow managing to brutally taunt me even when I’m not playing it

Did you maybe turn on the auto-steering by accident? That happened to me before.
Nope, that isn't it.

Good news though, i booted up Mario Odyssey and there were 0 signs of drift.

Then i went back to Mario Kart and strangely enough, the drift seems to be gone there too. I played through a time trial on Baby Park (i used that to detect drift since it's mostly a straight path) and i experienced zero drift. It quite literally vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

I'm honestly so confused right now. I think it's still a bit too early to declare victory over the drift, but i'm cautiously relieved. I just hope it doesn't come back.

Absolutely no idea what caused it. If you lot have any ideas feel free to let me know. If the drift returns i will let you know.

Nope, that isn't it.

Good news though, i booted up Mario Odyssey and there were 0 signs of drift.

Then i went back to Mario Kart and strangely enough, the drift seems to be gone there too. I played through a time trial on Baby Park (i used that to detect drift since it's mostly a straight path) and i experienced zero drift. It quite literally vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

I'm honestly so confused right now. I think it's still a bit too early to declare victory over the drift, but i'm cautiously relieved. I just hope it doesn't come back.

Absolutely no idea what caused it. If you lot have any ideas feel free to let me know. If the drift returns i will let you know.
Glad you got it sorted out for now. I have noticed that sometimes my pro controller will randomly drift for like, five seconds and then stop. It's very rare so I have no idea if it's like a piece of dust getting stuck or something.

But now I have the gorgeous new TotK pro controller so hopefully I won't have any issues for a long time!

My only regret is that when I finally caved and bought BotW for Switch this year I managed to pick up a cheap used Japanese copy so I had the (imo) superior logo on the box. And now TotK is coming and it's just the regular English version and I'm kinda sad that they won't match.

Weekly Poll #2
Hello everyone, another Friday, and oh dear did I have to forcefully tear myself away from my Switch to make this, the second weekly poll!

Last week, I asked you which the best direct sequel to a Zelda game was. Here are the results:

1. Majora's Mask: 15 votes
2. A Link Between Worlds: 10 votes
3. Link's Awakening: 6 votes
4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link: 2 votes
5. Phantom Hourglass: 1 vote

With Tears of the Kingdom out, many have wondered and hoped whether or not the game will feature more and better dungeons, some wanting more "traditional" dungeons. This week, lets ask ourselves - what's your favourite kind of Zelda dungeon?

This poll is grounded in Mark Brown's reasoning that there are three different kinds, or templates, of Zelda dungeons, which I will now relay for you all as a groundwork for this poll. Mark Brown runs the YouTube channel Game Maker's Toolkit, in which he analyzes and researches games and game design, and he has done a lot of work analyzing Zelda dungeons. Keep in mind that this is his personal reasoning that I've chosen to base the poll on.
For the three different kinds of dungeons that he has analyzed, here are the following:

There are dungeons that are combat-focused "gauntlets". These dungeons places emphasis on combat, packing the rooms of the dungeon full with deadly enemies for Link to conquer and defeat. The puzzle aspect of these dungeons are usually light, instead, the dungeons mostly serve as massive, dangerous tests of combat and endurance. The Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Then there's the "puzzle box" dungeons. These are the most puzzle-rich dungeons where the puzzles doesn't only contain themselves to individual rooms. Instead, the entire dungeon is the puzzle, where actions in one room affects other rooms as well, and where advanced thinking is needed to properly get a grasp of the entire map in order to progress. With so much emphasis on puzzle solving, these dungeons are usually lighter on enemies. The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Then, there's the "lock-and-key" dungeons. These dungeons are an even blend of combat and puzzles, where puzzles are often confined to individual rooms that sometimes yields keys that are needed in order to progress, while some rooms are filled with enemies to defeat, to progress further in other areas. The lock-and-key dungeons are the most common ones in the series. The Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Which type of dungeon do you feel clicks with you the most?

Hello everyone, another Friday, and oh dear did I have to forcefully tear myself away from my Switch to make this, the second weekly poll!

Last week, I asked you which the best direct sequel to a Zelda game was. Here are the results:

With Tears of the Kingdom out, many have wondered and hoped whether or not the game will feature more and better dungeons, some wanting more "traditional" dungeons. This week, lets ask ourselves - what's your favourite kind of Zelda dungeon?

This poll is grounded in Mark Brown's reasoning that there are three different kinds, or templates, of Zelda dungeons, which I will now relay for you all as a groundwork for this poll. Mark Brown runs the YouTube channel Game Maker's Toolkit, in which he analyzes and researches games and game design, and he has done a lot of work analyzing Zelda dungeons. Keep in mind that this is his personal reasoning that I've chosen to base the poll on.
For the three different kinds of dungeons that he has analyzed, here are the following:

There are dungeons that are combat-focused "gauntlets". These dungeons places emphasis on combat, packing the rooms of the dungeon full with deadly enemies for Link to conquer and defeat. The puzzle aspect of these dungeons are usually light, instead, the dungeons mostly serve as massive, dangerous tests of combat and endurance. The Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Then there's the "puzzle box" dungeons. These are the most puzzle-rich dungeons where the puzzles doesn't only contain themselves to individual rooms. Instead, the entire dungeon is the puzzle, where actions in one room affects other rooms as well, and where advanced thinking is needed to properly get a grasp of the entire map in order to progress. With so much emphasis on puzzle solving, these dungeons are usually lighter on enemies. The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Then, there's the "lock-and-key" dungeons. These dungeons are an even blend of combat and puzzles, where puzzles are often confined to individual rooms that sometimes yields keys that are needed in order to progress, while some rooms are filled with enemies to defeat, to progress further in other areas. The lock-and-key dungeons are the most common ones in the series. The Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time is an example of such a dungeon.

Honestly a very fascinating question to ponder! I think back to some of the more fondly remembered and memorable dungeons, and I think the ones like Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak Ruins in TP fit that perfect blend of Lock-and-Key design, as well as Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword (and damn does Koloktos still rank as my all-time favourite boss fight)

Your body says "eat". Your mind says "Shut the fuck up. You can eat after you finished that shrine out in the distance!"

TotK get! Looking forward to firing it up later tonight! 😁

Also happy “one month or so to the next Nintendo Direct” day!

It’s official my copy of ToTK has been delayed till tomorrow… at the least(since USPS hasn’t scanned it in yet my hopes are not very high). It’s all on Amazon too, if they had shipped it a day earlier or it had actually left their facility yesterday like it should’ve instead of this morning I would’ve been fine. I’m like 3 hours from the hub. Should’ve done the lower price preorder from bestbuy instead…

Sigh, well, at least that’s more time for future redeemed tonight

For me it's definitely "Puzzle Box". I love the dungeons that have a massive puzzle element or 'gimmick' of some sort that affects the entire dungeon and how you solve it: Stuff like the Column with ice wedges in Snowhead Temple, the upside-down mechanic of Stone Tower Temple, the time stone in Sandship, the bridge-control water direction/central room in the Lakebed Temple, and many others. These often fall into "there's a big central room that's the most important and then everything branches off of there" in structure, but even with that sometimes-similar feel I can't get enough of them. IMO most of the best dungeons in the series are this type.

I think lock-and-key and puzzle box dungeons are both doing the same thing, testing your ability to consider and navigate the dungeon as a contiguous space rather than a series of isolated rooms, and that other dungeons would probably be better described as "non-traditional", for their break from that defining focal point of the design of Zelda dungeons.

The puzzle box distinction I think falls apart when you consider the lack of mechanical difference between a dungeon like Ice Palace or Palace of Darkness (ALttP), which merely use the orange and blue switches, and something like Ancient Cistern or Sandship, which have more elaborate themed gimmicks. You still have to consciously choose to alter the layout of the dungeon in an impermanent fashion in one room and then go to another to see those effects and (hopefully) make progress due to what you changed. Notably, ALttP gives you the means to skip these puzzles entirely through clever use of items you may or may not have (bombs in Darkness and Cane of Somaria in Ice), but if Ancient Cistern and Sandship outright telling you the solution to some of their big puzzles doesn't ruin the intent of them then I don't think this should either. It's still a thing, but I don't think it should be considered to be a sole defining factor of every dungeon it appears in, because the amount of the dungeon that is actually impacted varies greatly, but tends to be mostly centered around one room. Take Great Bay, where the changing water currents are mainly for opening and closing different passages in the big spinning room, and have minimal impact on the rest of the dungeon. Or Ancient Cistern again, where raising or lowering the statue changes the accessibility of a few spots but has zero impact outside of those three or four rooms it exits to.

Any way you slice them though, I think that Gauntlet isn't really a "type" of Zelda dungeon at all, because the ones that fall under this are mostly either something deliberately distinct from the rest of the game or just a weaker attempt at a "normal" dungeon. I can't recall which ones Mark Brown specifically identified as gauntlets, I don't think there was ever a complete list released, but rewatching the ALBW video where this concept was established, I got Shadow Temple, Tower of Hera (ALBW), Skull Woods (ALBW), Forbidden Woods, Palace of Winds, Mutoh's Temple, and Fire Sanctuary. Of those, some are debatable, but I think only Palace of Winds and Forbidden Woods are truly aiming for something non-traditional, and the rest are just unconventional or poor attempts at designing what is still fundamentally a Zelda dungeon in its goals.

The idea with Shadow Temple for instance seemed to be mostly to confound you with illusions and lots of "where is the real path forward". Since this would probably be considered too disorienting or annoying to pass through multiple times, it was likely made mostly linear to avoid that, even though it often looks much more confusing as you're going through it. It was trying something new, and the focus on one particular type of puzzle feels sort of like a precursor to the more evolved puzzle motifs that would dominate later Zelda dungeons. But Shadow Temple's challenge can be argued to be explicitly navigational in nature, as it is all about locating invisible objects and false walls in order to find the path. Perhaps its method is unconventional and not as fundamentally sound as, say, Skull Woods (ALttP) splitting the dungeon into chunks with various different entrances above ground as its structural gimmick, when it comes to the subject of navigational challenges. I don't think that conserving magic for the Lens of Truth or not knowing when to bust it out (pretty much always) is ever going to be an issue here, so as a challenge it's a bit of a non-factor in practice. But I don't think navigation was taken out of consideration or forgotten about at all.

As a final point, I would actually not consider the Divine Beasts to be puzzle box dungeons or traditional Zelda dungeons at all, because they're simply too small to make figuring out how to get from one place to another a roundabout task. They function more as singular, large rooms. This lack of size, combined with the lack of resistance to your navigation of the space (you can go anywhere from the get go) means that nothing in Breath of the Wild really has any resemblance to a classic Zelda dungeon, nor even to the later more Mario-like ones entirely reliant on developing puzzle motifs. The shrines can be designed similarly to the latter, but they just aren't long enough. It's sort of like how it's hard to say any of the small platforming areas in Odyssey are really the equivalent of a full 3D World course, even though they still seem to be built on the same 4koma design principles. I'm curious how much closer the dungeons in Tears of the Kingdom end up being, or if maybe nothing has fundamentally changed about them.

...All that said, I picked puzzle box because I am the one person who actually really likes the water dungeons.

Every time you use ascend in Tears of the Kingdom, you think that surely this is the time that this is the area that will crash the game and then you ultimately end up on the other side with no issues.

As outlined, Puzzle Box for sure. The Water Temples are always my favorite for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom