• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

How disappointing... the commercial promised that they weren't like the others who got all the fame, and yet here they are, becoming more and more famous with no signs of slowing down. They have become the very thing they swore to destroy.

Our little weekend vacation has been far more hectic than even 2 little kids being here made me expect so no Zelda for the past 36 hours. I think I'm going through withdrawal, help
I'm in the middle of moving and haven't even started Zelda yet, so like... yeah. 🙃

screenshot2023-05-14alkc7k.png

These two posts right next together are just perfect. ❤️

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE THE REGGINATOR!!!

(Sarcasm, i love you Reggie)

(Also happy Mothers day everyone)

Reggie continuing to embrace this meme and incorporate it into his identity even after his departure is all sorts of amazing

Last edited:
The Ascend ability in TotK is fucking with my mind. There are areas where I think I'm stuck because I can't find an exit or make my way back to the entrance, completely forgetting that I can just you Ascend. You have to let go your typical gaming logic. It's an ability that feels like it shouldn't work and you're about to break the game each time. But it just works as intended and Link always safely pops up without issue. It gets really trippy when you ascend from a cave and you end up on top of a mountain.

The Ascend ability in TotK is fucking with my mind. There are areas where I think I'm stuck because I can't find an exit or make my way back to the entrance, completely forgetting that I can just you Ascend. You have to let go your typical gaming logic. It's an ability that feels like it shouldn't work and you're about to break the game each time. But it just works as intended and Link always safely pops up without issue. It gets really trippy when you ascend from a cave and you end up on top of a mountain.
If I'm not mistaken they said it was a cheat tool while developing that they decided to turn into a feature

i usually manage to complete games within 2-4 weeks. totk is gonna take me months to explore and find everything, even then i’ll probably not manage to find everything, it’s absolutely gargantuan.

It's hard for any game outdo BotW in every aspect, but TotK managed to do so in a mere few hours already for me, and I say that as someone who loved that game.

How anyone could manage to follow up a game like that in quite this fashion is absolutely beyond me.

Welp, fell into the Zelda trap

"I'll start cooking dinner right after I find this NPC for this quest"
"Where is he? Oh what's that tree in the distance?"
"Ok back to it. He must be up there. But wait, I see a cave"
"Ok, now I'm actually back to it. Found the NPC. Now to complete the final quest step"
"Oh, there a Korok I need to return to his buddy but they're all the way over there"
"Don't be upset anymore little guy. I've returned you to your pal. Wait, what's that in the water?"
"Welp, it's an SOS. Gotta go find and save that person"
"Where the fuck am I? I was just trying hang out these damn mushrooms to that one NPC"

Pretty sure I fell off whatever path they expected me to take after the first objective beacon was placed in TotK. Totally lost at this point but I don’t care, even though sitting with this feeling like I’m doing something wrong is difficult.

I also forgot how serene BotW could be with just the ambience and minimalist musical score. After a long day being on the road this was much needed.

Today at work our mentoring program for autistic teens briefly became the Zelda players club.
I can already tell this is gonna one of those titles that defines the gaming childhood of a generation.

Today at work our mentoring program for autistic teens briefly became the Zelda players club.
I can already tell this is gonna one of those titles that defines the gaming childhood of a generation.
The next Ocarina of Time

TOTK, a game so good that Famiboards members are actually playing it instead of just talking about it

4dl70t.png

It's hard for any game outdo BotW in every aspect, but TotK managed to do so in a mere few hours already for me, and I say that as someone who loved that game.

How anyone could manage to follow up a game like that in quite this fashion is absolutely beyond me.

Yeah, it’s absolutely incredible how they made a sequel that doesn’t feel like a sequel. The game has so much new layers and contexts that it has the exact sense of wonder and mystery and sense of discovery as BotW, despite the reused overworld.

I've been playing some TOTK over the weekend. I'm not loving it but I think it has to do with my work life taking over my weekends and not allowing me to have fun whatsoever than with the game itself.

Work sucks.

I think it will be really difficult to go back to Scarlet/Violet DLCs after Tears of the Kingdom

The game has so much new layers and contexts that it has the exact sense of wonder and mystery and sense of discovery as BotW, despite the reused overworld.
Imagine going back in time a year (or two, or three) and posting this.

We should've always had faith.
I know, many of us did, but still

Finally read that article and this part really sticks out to me

But more than anything, that freedom is punctuated by fun, something that's not a given in a modern gaming landscape built less around creating great games than managing player engagement.

I really do think the above is something that a lot of companies miss these days. I feel Nintendo hasn't completely lost the plot in this way and I think a lot of indies understand this (and it's probably easier to do when your scope is smaller).

How about a new Heroes of Might & Magic ... or Might & Magic Heroes if they still wanna call it like this.
I'm still waiting on the next update for Horn of the Abyss 🤤

Songs of Conquest is shaping up quite well last I checked on it.

Hopefully Heroes 3 gets as nice a 25th anniversary article as M&M VI did

Seems the EU approved the Microsoft/Activision purchase, with some concessions from Microsoft that they would have to put their games on as many cloud platforms as possible or something like that.

Good morning everyone! I saw the clock said 12:30am last night, I figured "okay, lemme just finish the last shrine on Great Sky Island, dive down to the surface of Hyrule, and make my way to the Lookout Point and then I'm done for the night." At which point I made my way down to the surface, found out I could build an extremely rudimentary buggy with four wheels and absolutely no way to steer, so I slapped on three fans for propulsion, a dragon head flamethrower on the front as a hood ornament, crashed my way through a forest, defeated a Bokoblin camp, reconstructed the buggy when it hit too many trees and broke apart and I lost a wheel rolling into a pond so it became one of those three wheeled motorcycles, and next thing I know I'm saving my game after meeting Purah at 3:12am 🙃

I can't wait to spend endless time in the duel mode. Such a unique mode and we never saw it again.
Agreed; same reason why I call Mario Party 3 my favourite as well.

Though truth be told for the first time ever I'm not feeling particularly anxious about whether or not the next N64 NSO game is coming this month (that will change though in a few weeks, I'm sure 😋)

Me earlier this morning waking up my girlfriend so we can play Zelda

“When you woke up this morning did you say to yourself, ‘Today I’m gonna talk’, or ‘Today I’m gonna Skate wake up my girlfriend so we can play Zelda’…?”

I'm at work, we can talk about it!
My boss called me after a meeting he had so we could both gush about Zelda puzzle solutions for 20 minutes before he remembered that there actually was a business related point he wanted to talk to me about 😂

Lmao imagine

Metroid Prime 1 style face reveal for a great fairy, demonstrating Nintendo's first foray into facial motion capture and celebrity VA flexing the new Zelda budget from botw's success
I think it's the one thing that always bugged me about Nintendo games is that sometimes the mouth doesn't feel synchronized with what the voice actor is saying (very likely could just be a me problem), but I think this Zelda artstyle with facial mocap would look absolutely stunning

So as a person who never played BOTW (don't ask why) is it okay if i jump straight to TOTK or should i play BOTW first?

Pretty crazy that it a week span, I played the conclusion for the Xenoblade Chronicles saga and started a brand new Zelda game.

So as a person who never played BOTW (don't ask why) is it okay if i jump straight to TOTK or should i play BOTW first?
BotW has the peculiarity that you can beat it whenever you want. So technically you could rush it in a couple of days BUT! that’s the worst way to play it IMO.

And spending a lot of money on a game just to get the basics of the story is a bad plan, again IMO.

What I recommend is looking for a recap of the story, so that you at least know which characters are returning from BotW. Nintendo’s youtube channel has a 6m video with the general structure of the plot, and Zeltik has a 1h video explaining in more detail.

How little did we know at the time that A Link Between Worlds would also serve as a test of the audience’s appetite for recycled maps 😂
I was actually thinking about how the portable series has served as something of a testing ground for different concepts that were later reworked in the 3D entries.

The little Four Swords spin-off with the GBA version of Link to the Past led to Four Swords Adventures on GameCube; the more puzzle-like and particular overworld design of the Oracles games and Minish Cap gets fleshed out in Skyward Sword; Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks experiment with progression and control methods, which we again see in Skyward Sword; Link Between Worlds dips its toe in non-linear structure and reuses a past overworld ahead of the more radical approaches with Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.

Honestly I think it would be fun and interesting to get another slightly odd, out there '2D' take on the series in the interim before the next open world title. There'll be less pressure on them to follow through in a particular direction, and they could introduce a new visual style, new Link, Zelda, and so on, as well as play around with mechanics and structure. I'm loving what I've played of Tears so far, but I think it'd be good to see the series do something quirkier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom