• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
sony and microsoft fanboys when nintendo made the greatest game of all time AGAIN
giphy.gif

I haven’t even gotten to vehicles yet 😂 spent the first hour soaking up the atmosphere and marveling at how they’ve taken the BotW opening and cranked it to 11

I played some Star Fox (the SNES original) via NSO earlier this morning, motivated to do so by the amazing A Fox in Space. I've previously never really gravitated toward the IP much, even though I do love the character designs. Now I'm trying to properly get into it.

...It's fun! I finished the first couple stages. The game has some challenge to it.

But holy crap.

That framerate. Horrific! It was so bad, that when I exited to the Switch home screen and went back and forth between game icons, it felt like I was seeing 900 FPS. Still, 3D graphics on a SNES game?! Wild.

Got TOTK, decided to do the BOTW DLC because I would be spoiled on the mechanics, realize I have forgotten all of the gameplay concepts for Trial of the Sword.

Probably will do Champions Ballad since you get the bells and whistles still and maybe come back to the trials way later. Hopefully I can power through that this weekend.

I played some Star Fox (the SNES original) via NSO earlier this morning, motivated to do so by the amazing A Fox in Space. I've previously never really gravitated toward the IP much, even though I do love the character designs. Now I'm trying to properly get into it.

...It's fun! I finished the first couple stages. The game has some challenge to it.

But holy crap.

That framerate. Horrific! It was so bad, that when I exited to the Switch home screen and went back and forth between game icons, it felt like I was seeing 900 FPS. Still, 3D graphics on a SNES game?! Wild.
I love Star Fox 64 but could never really get into the SNES game, whenever I tried to play it I’d get annoyed by how choppy it felt. Some people complain whenever a game is 30fps but this is the one time the frame rate actually ruined an (otherwise good) game for me.

But holy crap.

This happened to me with stunt race FX

You know, it’s time for a new Konami collection, give me a Goemon/Legend of the mystical ninja 2D collection with everything from Mr Kabuki to the PS1 games. And translate everything too, if River City Ransom can do it , Goemon can too!(on switch and multi of course)

Also give me Mario party 3 on NSO this month nintendo, it’s my fave one

If people have issues that a game built on older hardware is receiving all this critical acclaim, then those people should be asking if the latest tech is being appropriately used to build bigger and better gaming experiences. Is the tech finding solutions to problems that plagued previous hardware generations? Or is the tech just being used to give people what they had before? Is the tech being paired with great gameplay and level design? Or is masking deficiencies in those areas? The Horizon games are among the most technical impressive games out there but it's clear that it's not enough to overcome the design and craftmanship of games like Zelda or Eldin Ring.

I see a lot of videos pop up on Youtube that show how things were better in older games of the series compared to the latest one. Battlefield has been a big example. On PS3 and Xbox 360, you were knocking down walls and completely leveling buildings. In Battlefield 2142, the destruction has been toned back substantially, even compared to Battlefield Hardline, a forgotten spinoff title. The tech used to make the game is better but it's not being utilized in ways that make for a better experience.

The tech used to make the game is better but it's not being utilized in ways that make for a better experience.
It’s a question of where you’re allocating your resources. If you’re trying to build out something that run at 60 fps on a 4K display you’re going to be putting a lot of effort into the visuals and compromising on things like physics simulation because that’s resource intensive but also the graphics are requiring you to hire more artists meaning you can’t hire a couple extra engineers to work on the physics simulation.

Y'all saw that Mortal Kombat 12 being named Mortal Kombat 1 and coming to PS5, Xbox Series, PC AND Switch???

I think I saw a tweet of Ed Boon linking a YT video debunking it(but didn't disconfirm it himself), but it was so widely reported on I'm questioning whether it's true or not.

I've been predicting it would get a Switch version for awhile but even I jumped off the boat, if it turns out indeed getting a Switch version I'll be shocked. Played 11 on Switch and that was already rough.

I still think it’s very funny that people legitimately thought Nintendo was gonna just gonna slap some new powers into BotW’s map and call it a day. I’d say the map difference is more substantial than even ALttP -> ALBW. I’m having a great time.

I remember loving this one as a kid. Going back to it though is rough. I’m not a super big frame rate person but need at least some stability. These games are mere curiosities of the Super FX chips at this point.
If you really want to see the frame rate tank, try the 2P mode. I remember as a kid noticing that the tire rotation animation is removed.

Also I still enjoy it but it’s an acquired taste at this point because of the 15-20 fps from the SFX chip. Soundtrack is criminally underrated.

Really wish Nintendo would re-release Uniracers for NSO just to complete the 90s racer nostalgia for me.

Say how’s the Xbox version of Kerbal space program anyways? I have a soft spot for that game but no computer to run it

Y'all saw that Mortal Kombat 12 being named Mortal Kombat 1 and coming to PS5, Xbox Series, PC AND Switch???

I think I saw a tweet of Ed Boon linking a YT video debunking it(but didn't disconfirm it himself), but it was so widely reported on I'm questioning whether it's true or not.

I've been predicting it would get a Switch version for awhile but even I jumped off the boat, if it turns out indeed getting a Switch version I'll be shocked. Played 11 on Switch and that was already rough.
I'd love to be surprised, but the only way in which I see MK12 coming to Switch but not to PS4 and Xbox One is if the Switch version turned out to be a custom-built one, something like "essentially MK11 but with the new characters added to the roster".

Realistically, I think it would make more sense for NetherRealm to wait for the Succ and have MK12 ready as a launch title. Who knows, though.

I still think it’s very funny that people legitimately thought Nintendo was gonna just gonna slap some new powers into BotW’s map and call it a day. I’d say the map difference is more substantial than even ALttP -> ALBW. I’m having a great time.
Cynicism is seen as wisdom and the greater Internet laps it up like candy.

idk how hard this is to swallow but the owl house is a much better show for the lgbt crowd than steven universe would ever hope to be.

There is a reason why SU is so memed lol.
I'll be honest: I find that this kind of framing/comparison to be detrimental to actually discussing these shows, let alone LGBT representation in media in general.

Steven Universe and The Owl House are not trying to compete with each other for "Best LGBT Representation." They are two shows made by two different LGBT creators and their staff members, many of whom are also LGBT as well, aiming for different things in terms of storytelling. Both shows were beloved as they aired and were critically acclaimed. Both ended up cut short by their networks, and the effects are felt on both shows (the abrupt ending of SU, the short season 3 of TOH). Let's not forget that SU pushed a lot for its LGBT representation. The show was initially killed by the network because it pushed its LGBT representation front and center with the Garnet wedding, which the team made as essential and justified by the story as possible so that it couldn't be cut! Getting a movie and 26 more episodes to get a fuller ending was because the show resonated with people - especially LGBT fans! Without SU, we wouldn't have shows like TOH, and rather than viewing that as competition, it's really a variety of marginalized creators all pushing to see themselves in media and building it all up together over time.

It's also important to acknowledge that these are both children's shows on network television. That doesn't make them bad, hell, it's extremely important that stuff for kids and all ages gets to have LGBT representation because of how much LGBT content has been pushed as inappropriate just by being not hetero or not cis. But it does mean that they will have different aims and goals than a show for older audiences, and I think centralizing both SU and TOH for solely their representation loses sight of that.

If you don't like SU and prefer TOH, that's okay! You don't have to like a show even if it has good representation of marginalized people, because a show's representation is only a facet of it. You can prefer the storytelling, the themes, the art style, the characters, all of that in one show over the rest. But those aren't things that make one "a much better show for the lgbt crowd". Especially since LGBT people are not a monolith. Not the creators, not the fans, none of it.

All these people enjoying TotK and I´m sitting here playing a bit of Ni No Kuni 2 on Switch

If I can get the following games on Switch/Switch 2 I think I could finally cut down to just one console.

Dragon Quest 12
Final Fantasy 9 remake
Chrono Trigger
Native KH 1-3 ports
Hades 2
Hyper Light Breaker

That is all.

Back at my addiction to Galar with another run through Pokemon Sword. Mere months after finishing my 8th run. Just can't get enough of it.

I watched a few streamers and youtubers play some of the intro to Tears of the Kingdom and many got emotional when they first arrive back in Hyrule. It's been six years since BOTW but I think that gap of time is long enough that people have actually grown nostalgic for that version of Hyrule so when they returned, it felt like returning home to many of them.

Seriously wondering whether my day 1 Switch will survive my TotK playthrough. Whines like a jet engine at times.
When I went to download TotK on my day 1 Switch so that my boyfriends could play it, the fan made an extremely loud noise that I had never heard it make before, which got me super worried. A little canned air and it was fine, and I played TotK on it for hours today and it didn't make a peep.

Hope yours survives, make sure to keep it well ventilated!

Still no Zelda for me. Ended up ordering a second copy after the first didn't turn up on Friday or Saturday, this time from Amazon for next day delivery, and so far it's not out for delivery.

Feeling a little cursed, not gonna lie. Most of the time I'm not fussed about day 1 but this is the game I wanted on launch day, especially launch weekend.

Our little weekend vacation has been far more hectic than even 2 little kids being here made me expect so no Zelda for the past 36 hours. I think I'm going through withdrawal, help

Sooooooo my copy of Zelda TotK should arrive on Wednesday 17th.... And at least while playing Atelier Ryza (never noticed on any other game) my pro controller right stick is drifting like crazy ;_;

To any mothers that post, lurk, or visit this site I hope you have/had a happy and lovely Mother's Day.

I must be an old man now or something because playing the Switch undocked is starting to be pretty uncomfortable. Anyone have any recommendations for a good grip setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom