• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
XBQgjnX.png

#Six4Switch

I really seem to like blue games
This seems like a fun game!

Six4-Switch.png

#Six4Switch

After getting a Switch and BOTW on Day 1, I didn't buy another physical Switch game until Fire Emblem Warriors released in September. I did pick up I am Setsuna, Blaster Master, and Sonic Mania on the eShop though. I remember taking a break from playing BOTW and picked up Nier Automata. Then after that, I was trying to decide between Horizon or Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age. Went with FF 12, no regrets. I then beat BOTW sometime in the summer.

Switch was relatively easy to pre-order and easy peasy to get one on launch day in my area. Once WoM spread a bit though it became almost impossible to find for months afterwards.

Week 1 Question
Well everyone, today is the day! Happy sixth birthday Switch! For the first week of questions I have to ask of you: What were your top 6 indie games you enjoyed on Switch? They could be games that have released elsewhere, but if these were hands you first played on Switch, or games you played elsewhere first but then just clicked when you bought them again on Switch, they count! But, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

I'll present my list:

1. Stardew Valley - I picked it up on sale back in January 2020 a few months before Animal Crossing released, and I certainly didn't expect to get hooked so easily. Over 150 hours in just two months before ACNH, and this game along with Animal Crossing even inspired my girlfriend to get her own Switch!

2. Overcooked! All You Can Eat - A game trial demo sold me on the game almost instantly the day I played it with three friends, and again my girlfriend and I made it our mission to get four star rankings on every level. It's delightful chaos that can make or break friendships, but as long as you're communicating out loud what you're doing/what needs to be done, every level is a breeze

3. Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime - This game is cute as hell; another four player co-op game, it had simple controls but for different ships that made a variety of playstyles and really brought my friends and I together (as long as we were communicating on what we were doing together haha). In some ways it reminded me of a puzzle game, because while it could be challenging, it never felt overwhelming

4. Ori and the Blind Forest - Not just the novelty of being a former Xbox exclusive that came to Switch, but the game itself has some gorgeous visuals and minimal spoken/written story telling that relies on cutscenes, music and ambience. The vibes and aesthetic are unparalleled which makes it difficult to recommend when Moon Studios head management were absolute dicks to their developers

5. The Artful Escape - Annapurna Games are like A24 movies; they're not infallible from stinkers, but I've still yet to play a game/watch a movie from either studio that didn't knock it out of the park. This one is no exception; the colourful adventure and most excellent music from folk Americana to space opera prog rock tell a story of discovering one's identity, a coming of age story, saving your friends, what your legacy will be and just the right amount of character customization you unlock as you go along, it all tickled my brain wonderfully and I'm looking forward to replaying it again soon

6. Bug Fables - It was a game marketed to me and my kind of Paper Mario nostalgia, where combat is king and it's given the respect it should. The characters, dialogue and humour were all top notch, and though a little rough around the edges, it was a game that had lots of charm and one I highly recommend to anyone who has been craving that Paper Mario 64/TTYD itch to be scratched

So those are mine, and a number of honourable mentions go to the likes of Bear and Breakfast, Tinykin, Fast RMX, Stick Fight: The Game, Donut County, Untitled Goose Game, Boomerang Fu, and probably a few more that slip my mind. Let's hear yours!

(Although if I'm being completely honest, #SixForSwitch does look a lot more engaging haha)

I only managed to get a switch preorder when basically all the preorders were gone because I went everywhere I could and found myself at some random mall in the absolute middle of nowhere in Connecticut that did not look like it had so much as a new drop of paint added to it since 1983. Mall was really weird, there were probably more spaces in the mall parking lot than people living in all the surrounding nearby towns. There was nobody there, half the store locations were empty but there was a lone GameStop, and oops they too had no preorders left

but then I went upstairs to an FYE and they still had one switch preorder available

6 years ago I watched the mail truck with my Switch in it get stuck in the snow across the street from my house.

Well everyone, today is the day! Happy sixth birthday Switch! For the first week of questions I have to ask of you: What were your top 6 indie games you enjoyed on Switch? They could be games that have released elsewhere, but if these were hands you first played on Switch, or games you played elsewhere first but then just clicked when you bought them again on Switch, they count! But, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

I'll present my list:

1. Stardew Valley - I picked it up on sale back in January 2020 a few months before Animal Crossing released, and I certainly didn't expect to get hooked so easily. Over 150 hours in just two months before ACNH, and this game along with Animal Crossing even inspired my girlfriend to get her own Switch!

2. Overcooked! All You Can Eat - A game trial demo sold me on the game almost instantly the day I played it with three friends, and again my girlfriend and I made it our mission to get four star rankings on every level. It's delightful chaos that can make or break friendships, but as long as you're communicating out loud what you're doing/what needs to be done, every level is a breeze

3. Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime - This game is cute as hell; another four player co-op game, it had simple controls but for different ships that made a variety of playstyles and really brought my friends and I together (as long as we were communicating on what we were doing together haha). In some ways it reminded me of a puzzle game, because while it could be challenging, it never felt overwhelming

4. Ori and the Blind Forest - Not just the novelty of being a former Xbox exclusive that came to Switch, but the game itself has some gorgeous visuals and minimal spoken/written story telling that relies on cutscenes, music and ambience. The vibes and aesthetic are unparalleled which makes it difficult to recommend when Moon Studios head management were absolute dicks to their developers

5. The Artful Escape - Annapurna Games are like A24 movies; they're not infallible from stinkers, but I've still yet to play a game/watch a movie from either studio that didn't knock it out of the park. This one is no exception; the colourful adventure and most excellent music from folk Americana to space opera prog rock tell a story of discovering one's identity, a coming of age story, saving your friends, what your legacy will be and just the right amount of character customization you unlock as you go along, it all tickled my brain wonderfully and I'm looking forward to replaying it again soon

6. Bug Fables - It was a game marketed to me and my kind of Paper Mario nostalgia, where combat is king and it's given the respect it should. The characters, dialogue and humour were all top notch, and though a little rough around the edges, it was a game that had lots of charm and one I highly recommend to anyone who has been craving that Paper Mario 64/TTYD itch to be scratched

So those are mine, and a number of honourable mentions go to the likes of Bear and Breakfast, Tinykin, Fast RMX, Stick Fight: The Game, Donut County, Untitled Goose Game, Boomerang Fu, and probably a few more that slip my mind. Let's hear yours!

(Although if I'm being completely honest, #SixForSwitch does look a lot more engaging haha)

Ori-and-the-Will-of-the-Wisps-Artwork.jpg

HD-wallpaper-ori-and-the-blind-forest-ori-and-the-blind-forest-games.jpg
kaze-and-the-wild-masks-spc-review.jpg

wp5316305.jpg

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Thought this was a huge improvement over the first one in many ways with better combat, bosses, and more interesting characters/world, while keeping the same great movement and art style.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest. I think it’s overshadowed by the second in some ways but still a great game, great art style/movement and in a way, probably has slightly more platforming with less combat emphasis.

3. Kaze and the Wild Masks. I don’t think it’s really at the level of the best DKC games, the art style isn’t really my thing, but the gameplay is pretty solid/fun if you’re wanting that DKC-like gameplay. Plus, some pretty good music.

4. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Another DKC-like that I don’t think matches up to the main DKC games, in this case the gameplay too I think just doesn’t flow that well, but it’s still a fun enough time, and I like the visual style more than Kaze. It also has some really good music, even better than Kaze and even coming close to the level of DKC music imo.

While we celebrate Switch launch, don't forget that it's Iwata's last project that he worked on.

Miyamoto: "Mr. Iwata was the head of development, so he put a lot of thought and time into Switch," he said. "I think that the idea of Nintendo Switch being a device you can take out and anywhere, and the idea of it being a system that really allows networking and communicating with people, I think that's something Mr. Iwata put a lot of emphasis on."

It was Iwata's choice to bring Koizumi as a General Producer and Kawamoto as a General Director of a Switch.

Koizumi: I was on the Tokyo production team at the time, but one day they suddenly told me I was to come to Kyoto. There, the late president Iwata told me to “create a tag team with Kawamoto” (Kouichi Kawamoto, the Nintendo Switch’s General Director). I still clearly remember what he said back then, “I’ve chosen the most un-Nintendo-like people”. (laughs)

My Switch Launch Story- i had already order the special edition for BOTW. but had no Switch preorder so i thought it would be a while before i could get one and play BOTW. But one day a few days after the launch i saw Switch was available at walmart.com in my prefer red/blue color, so i jumped on it and ended up playing BOTW sooner then i thought.

6 years later, i 'm now waiting to see if i can get the collector's edition of TOTK some things never change.

Nintendo Switch has had an incredible run. Playing Breath of the Wild today is as astounding as it was six years ago, or perhaps even more thanks to the OLED display. I hope to see this system continue in some form for a long time.

My Switch Launch Story- i had already order the special edition for BOTW. but had no Switch preorder so i thought it would be a while before i could get one and play BOTW. But one day a few days after the launch i saw Switch was available at walmart.com in my prefer red/blue color, so i jumped on it and ended up playing BOTW sooner then i thought.

6 years later, i 'm now waiting to see if i can get the collector's edition of TOTK some things never change.
I remember all of the reports around that time that Zelda sold more copies than the switch itself. Crazy to think about.

New Switch anniversary, its 6th year. Amazing console, probably best Nintendo one and will keep receiving mere and more games.

Oh damn, top 6 indie games. Gonna prioritise games that I played and finished on Switch for my first run-through of them. So, unfortunately, that means no Umurangi Generation despite my undying love for that game.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_SayonaraWildHearts_image1600w.jpg
H2x1_NSwitchDS_UntitledGooseGame.jpg
H2x1_NSwitchDS_Wandersong_image1600w.jpg

H2x1_NSwitchDS_SteamWorldDig2.jpg
hero
H2x1_NSwitchDS_Gris.jpg

1) Sayonara Wild Hearts by Simogo
Incredible. Sensational. The GOAT. Pure fire. There are few words that can adequately describe how good this game is. SWH is a short game that constantly changes itself into new and interesting things, whilst absolutely rocking it with an immaculate soundtrack to boot. It's not a difficult or complicated game (though getting the challenges done is a feat and a half) but, for the brief time it lasts, it's just... so good.

2) Untitled Goose Game by House House
This game sets out to do one thing: Let you be a dickhead Goose. Does it succeed? Yes. Definitely. Much like the above, the game's not the deepest thing in the world, but the commitment to the 'bit' is incredibly well done. Everything from the physics-based item interactions, to the jaunty music, to the puzzle design, makes you feel like an utter arsehole and it's great. Also, as someone who lives in semi-Rural England and really kinda hates it, it's nice to have some catharsis now and again.

3) Wandersong by Greg Lobanov & Shell in the Pit
This is one of the least known in the list, and for relatively good reason. It's not the best-looking game in the world, or the best-playing (there is some serious jank here), but by damn is it one of the most heartfelt and lovely stories I've ever experienced in a game. It's so incredibly inventive with how it uses its core 'singing' mechanic, and the way it involves that in its story about self-worth and what it means to be a hero really makes it stand out to me.

4) SteamWorld Dig 2 by Image & Form Games
Out of all the monumental games that released in 2017, it would be hard for any small indie MetroidVania to stand out, but this definitely did for me. By expanding on the first game's loop of strategically digging down, before coming up to sell your finds and upgrade, Dig 2 manages to create a really deep and rewarding Metroidvania experience. Similarly, the change to pre-planned stages leads to some genuinely amazing level design. Also has some absolutely brilliant music.

5) Celeste by Maddy Makes Games
There's not much more I can say about Celeste that hasn't been said already by the countless glowing reviews and awards. It's just a very, very well-done platformer with some of the best level design and movement in the business. Then, on top of that, it adds a touching story about anxiety and how we view ourselves. Honestly it'd be higher, but I personally just found it a bit too hard. For much of the game I had to play with many of the accessibility modes on as had I not done so, the experience would have been much more frustrating.

6) Gris by Nomada Studio
With this winning the award for my second-most screenshotted game on Switch (behind BotW), it's no surprise that Gris is one of the most artistically beautiful games I've ever played. In Uni I had the luxury of playing this on a big projected screen and it was a really amazing experience. There's less to be said about the gameplay, which is fairly basic puzzle-platformer fair (like many games inspired by Journey). However, the story makes up for that with its metaphorical take on sorrow and loss.

I didn't get a Switch for like a year. I was only dimly aware of its existence for the first few months. I guess you could call me a real fan

Sorry Brofield but I'm going in the opposite order so that my best is last and the little games don't get lost. Hope that's not confusing. 😁

6. Fe - This game has such atmosphere. I can't adequately describe it but the feeling of hopping/gliding around a somber, murky forest is really felt in this game, and the music really enhances it. The main forest theme ("Skogen," which you can hear here) is something I used to put on my headphones and listen to on walks. It's a simple game with a simple story but the execution and sense of scale is just so lovely.

5. Alwa's Legacy - The most special thing I can think to point out about this game is it somehow feels like it could've come out in the time period it's styled around. Lots of pixel art games sorta feel like just new games with pixel art, but thinking back to Alwa's Legacy my brain sometimes imagines for a second that I must've played it on the SNES because it really evokes the sense that well (fun fact: the preceding game Alwa's Awakening actually was made to run on NES and the team produced and released working NES cartridges of it). It's also just a really well-made, pretty Metroidvania.

4. Cave Story - This is the first indie game that emotionally knocked my socks off. I had played stuff like Shovel Knight on WiiU and was already considering myself an enjoyer of indies, but Cave Story (which I own an actual physical copy of) finally caught up to me on Switch and I was not prepared for it. Six years later I'm already nostalgic over the main theme, which is an oddly disturbing piece of music in hindsight due to how bubbly/happy it is considering.. ya know.. the plot. Absolutely fantastic, haunting game.

3. Hollow Knight - What can I say about this that @Suswave hasn't said already? I'll just repeat what I said while talking to some friends about it just last night: It absolutely blows my mind that all the art, all the beauty, all the level design, all the gameplay, all the lore, was made by three randos in Adelaide. And that they're doing it again.

2. Horace - Okay now Horace completely flew under my radar for years. I had seen the game (I thought it was a Lego minifig and that stuck in my head) but didn't really get it. Why is he dressed like that? Why the name "Horace?" But I was reading through a "Best of" on NintendoLife a couple years ago and they really hammered hard how much they loved this game, so I gave it a whirl. I was not prepared. Not only is the game mechanically well-designed, but the story is an absolute gut-punch to the heart. That's right, it'll find your heart's gut and punch that one instead. There's a bit of shock factor in there (like "oh look, this cutesy game is subverting expectations by going dark") but it really worked for me. And the true ending is awesome. I was having a cry at the end. Plus you unlock the true ending by collecting literal piles of junk, which as a vintage car enthusiast just speaks to my personal experience in a way most games never try to. 😅

1. Undertale - I only found out about this game because I was gushing over the fourth-wall breaks in the end of Bravely Default to a friend of mine and he dramatically looked me in the eye and sternly said, "play Undertale." So I did. I was aware from the beginning of the "true" ending being locked behind a "pacifist run," so I actually blew through the game that way from the beginning, and got to play through to the proper, emotional ending in one go. Technically one and a half gos. Yall know what I mean. Like Hollow Knight, I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. But it hooked me. I'm aware there's a whole Internet Fandom™ surrounding this game that can be sorta toxic and weird, but I found out about and played through the game with zero interaction with that, so it feels like it's somehow just mine. The humor, the puns, the twisting of old gaming tropes, the existence of otaku in the story, it just feels like it was made for me specifically. Also the music. God, the music. But again, yall already know.

Fun question @Brofield

I played some good ones on other systems, but here are my choices (I also have a ton I’ve gotten on sale and never touched that probably would be added to the list). Not putting them in number order.

• Celeste (might be a top 5 switch game altogether)
  • Debris Infinity (serious look this up. Cheap geometry wars clone that is a great time sink)
  • Yoku’s Island Express (forgot this one when I was looking through my games. Everyone need to play this. Pinball Metroidvania with killer music. Need a sequel)
  • SteamWorld Dig 2 (leaps and bounds better than the first which was also great)
  • TowerFall (such a great party game)
  • What Remains of Edith Finch (Orcas Island is a very important part of my life, so this story was super engrossing and)

1. Undertale - I only found out about this game because I was gushing over the fourth-wall breaks in the end of Bravely Default to a friend of mine and he dramatically looked me in the eye and sternly said, "play Undertale." So I did. I was aware from the beginning of the "true" ending being locked behind a "pacifist run," so I actually blew through the game that way from the beginning, and got to play through to the proper, emotional ending in one go. Technically one and a half gos. Yall know what I mean. Like Hollow Knight, I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. But it hooked me. I'm aware there's a whole Internet Fandom™ surrounding this game that can be sorta toxic and weird, but I found out about and played through the game with zero interaction with that, so it feels like it's somehow just mine. The humor, the puns, the twisting of old gaming tropes, the existence of otaku in the story, it just feels like it was made for me specifically. Also the music. God, the music. But again, yall already know.
would definitely be on my list but played on VITA of all places! Soundtrack to this day is still in my rotation.

Ori-and-the-Will-of-the-Wisps-Artwork.jpg

HD-wallpaper-ori-and-the-blind-forest-ori-and-the-blind-forest-games.jpg
kaze-and-the-wild-masks-spc-review.jpg

wp5316305.jpg

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Thought this was a huge improvement over the first one in many ways with better combat, bosses, and more interesting characters/world, while keeping the same great movement and art style.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest. I think it’s overshadowed by the second in some ways but still a great game, great art style/movement and in a way, probably has slightly more platforming with less combat emphasis.

3. Kaze and the Wild Masks. I don’t think it’s really at the level of the best DKC games, the art style isn’t really my thing, but the gameplay is pretty solid/fun if you’re wanting that DKC-like gameplay. Plus, some pretty good music.

4. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Another DKC-like that I don’t think matches up to the main DKC games, in this case the gameplay too I think just doesn’t flow that well, but it’s still a fun enough time, and I like the visual style more than Kaze. It also has some really good music, even better than Kaze and even coming close to the level of DKC music imo.

Edited to add images

Hopefully the next Detective Pikachu movie will actually have him doing some mystery solving. You know, like a detective.

Four days so far without a headache. Looking good. I’m thinking of playing sonic adventure, how’s that @chocolate_supra ?

Also, something important to discuss with you in secret @Dragoncaine if you got a chance. A new master plan I’m working on
How's Sonic Adventure? It's a hoot. A janky, lovely hoot.

I wish Dreamcast got the same love and respect Mega Drive gets from Sega all the time. We have Sega Ages, Mega Drive collection and NSO MD on Switch and not a single game from Sega's 3D consoles...
Yeah. It is bizarre to me they haven’t really put any on there besides licensing some properties out to Forever Entertainment (to mixed results)

Why aren’t these on switch? Should have been there year one
Agreeeeeeeed

I wish Dreamcast got the same love and respect Mega Drive gets from Sega all the time. We have Sega Ages, Mega Drive collection and NSO MD on Switch and not a single game from Sega's 3D consoles...
The Dreamcast had seriously one of the weirdest and most creative console lineups, I swear. There was a documentary about the DC a few years ago where they interviewed several Sega employees/devs who were around at the time, and one thing I remember being said was that they went so hard on being creative and making these auteur-style games that they basically lost the mainstream because normal people didn't jive with what the devs were creating.

And that's probably why I loved that system so much. It was like the video game equivalent of Wes Anderson.

This isn’t coming anytime soon

It's good that the talks are still going on. It seemed at first WB and TPC were getting cold feet because of the movie's initial cost vs gross.

Maybe the performance of Sonic 2 showed them a lot of their problems stemmed from the timing of the movie.

I'll present my list:

Top Six Indie Games (no order):

1) Hollow Knight
2) Steamworld Dig 2
3) Celeste
4) CrossCode
5) Ender Lilies
6) Monster Sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom