• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyrim would get reduced on Switch in the week I've had Skyrim ambience/music playing while working and thinking to myself "sure would be convenient if I'd bought Skyrim on Switch".

Boo.

960x0.jpg

Yep.
200w.gif

Anime hasn't been this saved in ages.

oh my god???????!

does this mean they’re gonna get into like some of the actual nuance from the books or are they gonna double down on the yikes and or cringe shit?

I say this as someone who truly cared so much about the books that I am literally in them, while recognizing everything fucked up about them

oh my god???????!

does this mean they’re gonna get into like some of the actual nuance from the books or are they gonna double down on the yikes and or cringe shit?

I say this as someone who truly cared so much about the books that I am literally in them, while recognizing everything fucked up about them
I really hope they go into that nuance, there's so much potential that it would be a shame if they fumbled it.

Week 5 (and $5 eShop gift card RAFFLE!!)
Good day everyone!

We have approximately 36 hours left until our time together with me steering this madhouse comes to an end, but I just want to thank you all for taking the time to shitpost and rockaway the days with me here in this little corner of the internet. We’ve laughed, cried, vented, and shared about neat things we see and what’s in our lives. It’s been a pleasure getting to spend time with you all as your captain.

However, while I’m captain I’m taking these last few hours to do the opposite of gatekeeping: forcing everyone to like what I like! Hooray! What fun! I know you’re all cheering behind your screens, and to thank you for your excitement I’m gonna raffle not one, but TWO eShop $5 gift cards! One is for the US eShop, and the other is for the Canada eShop. To the rest of the world, I can only offer eternal love and gratitude if you do share a response; it’s only because I won a US gift card three years ago I can’t use myself and a Canadian card I can acquire easily 😋

What is your favourite Bruce Springsteen song, and why?

It can be an original by the Boss himself, or his music being covered by another artist (Bastille, Mary J Blige/Kendrick Lamar, David Bowie, The Hold Steady, Juanes, Neil Young, Eric Church, Sting, etc.), or Bruce covering another artist (The Beatles, Prince, Lorde, AC/DC, Bee Gees, etc.), or even performing with another artist (The Killers, Dropkick Murphys, Bleachers, Tom Morello, Bob Seger, Paul McCartney, The Gaslight Anthem, etc.). It can be a studio version on an official album release, a demo/outtake, a live performance, a remix. If you got a memory of this song, or the lyrics speak to you in some way (or they're goofy enough they make you laugh), or typing in your favourite artist and finding out they covered Springsteen at some point and you enjoy it, that all counts! Throw in a link to the YouTube video/Spotify where you found your performance as well so I can also enjoy it with fresh ears and put myself in your shoes!

HOW TO ENTER: Quote this post, and at the top let me know before your answer which raffle you’re entering whether it’s the US or Canada eShop gift card. I’ll keep track in a separate document, and anyone here can enter so long as you can still post in this thread(/you can redeem the gift card 😅). I’ll do a draw after and let y’all know who wins in ST19 and send codes via DM!

Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive,
-Brofield ❤️

Hindsight is 20/20 when they decided to port the Scott Pilgrim game to modern consoles out of nowhere lol (and also reminds me I should pick it up someday)

Good day everyone!

We have approximately 36 hours left until our time together with me steering this madhouse comes to an end, but I just want to thank you all for taking the time to shitpost and rockaway the days with me here in this little corner of the internet. We’ve laughed, cried, vented, and shared about neat things we see and what’s in our lives. It’s been a pleasure getting to spend time with you all as your captain.

However, while I’m captain I’m taking these last few hours to do the opposite of gatekeeping: forcing everyone to like what I like! Hooray! What fun! I know you’re all cheering behind your screens, and to thank you for your excitement I’m gonna raffle not one, but TWO eShop $5 gift cards! One is for the US eShop, and the other is for the Canada eShop. To the rest of the world, I can only offer eternal love and gratitude if you do share a response; it’s only because I won a US gift card three years ago I can’t use myself and a Canadian card I can acquire easily 😋

It can be an original by the Boss himself, or his music being covered by another artist (Bastille, Mary J Blige/Kendrick Lamar, David Bowie, The Hold Steady, Juanes, Neil Young, Eric Church, Sting, etc.), or Bruce covering another artist (The Beatles, Prince, Lorde, AC/DC, Bee Gees, etc.), or even performing with another artist (The Killers, Dropkick Murphys, Bleachers, Tom Morello, Bob Seger, Paul McCartney, The Gaslight Anthem, etc.). It can be a studio version on an official album release, a demo/outtake, a live performance, a remix. If you got a memory of this song, or the lyrics speak to you in some way (or they're goofy enough they make you laugh), or typing in your favourite artist and finding out they covered Springsteen at some point and you enjoy it, that all counts! Throw in a link to the YouTube video/Spotify where you found your performance as well so I can also enjoy it with fresh ears and put myself in your shoes!

HOW TO ENTER: Quote this post, and at the top let me know before your answer which raffle you’re entering whether it’s the US or Canada eShop gift card. I’ll keep track in a separate document, and anyone here can enter so long as you can still post in this thread(/you can redeem the gift card 😅). I’ll do a draw after and let y’all know who wins in ST19 and send codes via DM!

-Brofield ❤️
US card.

Springsteen by Eric Church. Am I doing it right?

For real answers:

Atlantic City - has this melancholic sound that’s captivating, especially with that harmonica after the chorus. Lyrical content is also interesting with this sort cliffhanger story on what job the protagonist is going to do for the mob to get some money. Really is a quintessential Springsteen song to me.

Dancing in the Dark - Springsteen with synth was amazing. Also an interesting story about how this came about (basically his manager telling him Born in the USA wasn’t good enough because it needed a hit single and The Boss coming up with it out of that).

US card.

Springsteen by Eric Church. Am I doing it right?

For real answers:

Atlantic City - has this melancholic sound that’s captivating, especially with that harmonica after the chorus. Lyrical content is also interesting with this sort cliffhanger story on what job the protagonist is going to do for the mob to get some money. Really is a quintessential Springsteen song to me.

Dancing in the Dark - Springsteen with synth was amazing. Also an interesting story about how this came about (basically his manager telling him Born in the USA wasn’t good enough because it needed a hit single and The Boss coming up with it out of that).
I would accept Eric Church, specifically if it were this version you were referencing 😋

Both fantastic songs; I love AC for being my first introduction to Nebraska and also the historical relevance with the Chicken Man's house bombing. DotD also because I have been resonating with "Wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face" ever since I was like 11. If anything this feeling gets progressively stronger with age.

Also in making a brief presentation for a PowerPoint party a few weeks ago I've discovered both songs could be interpreted to have queer undertones along with most of his other songs which I find so genuinely fascinating

I think my favorite Springsteen song is Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of "Blinded by the Light". But then again, I haven't listened to as much Springsteen as I probably should have.

The Two Towers Extended Edition is an absolute master work in spectacle. You can really feel the collaborative effort of everyone who worked on it in every minute.

I’ve been thinking about how, Aragorn’s treatment of Eowyn aside, the Lord of the Rings has so many good examples of positive masculinity that you think people would have learned from given the movies’ success. Aragorn being merciful and kind, Gimli’s and Legolas’s budding friendship, and of course Samwise’s loyalty to his companion, Frodo Baggins. It’s a beautiful story.

Not gonna be original and say “Born to Run”. It was the first Springsteen song I’ve listened to ; because I was reading Battle Royale and there were multiple references to it. I was amazed by it and quickly become a Springsteen fan, to the point where I went to see him in concert in June 2013 at the Stade the France. I think it’s the second best live performance I saw from an artist (only topped, and not by far, by Jay-Z and Kanye during the Watch the Throne tour), he was so charismatic and gave us a three hours incredible show. And I gotta thank Born to Run for that.

Have any of you listened to the Cane and Rinse Podcast? I love these deep dives into games I've completed. The console reviews are also ace. I'm listening to the episode on the OG Metroid as I prepare a nice vegan spaghetti bolognese. 🍝

Have any of you listened to the Cane and Rinse Podcast? I love these deep dives into games I've completed. The console reviews are also ace. I'm listening to the episode on the OG Metroid as I prepare a nice vegan spaghetti bolognese. 🍝

This is one of the top retro gaming podcasts. Their music one is pretty good too.

Made a thread here to discuss:

(Just making sure, if any of you are entering the contest; US or Canada eShop card? 😋)

I think my favorite Springsteen song is Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of "Blinded by the Light". But then again, I haven't listened to as much Springsteen as I probably should have.
I still love how technically this was the closest he got to a #1 spot on Billboard and it wasn't even his own performance. Dancing in the Dark only ever got to #2 but was kept out by The Reflex by Duran Duran and Prince's When Doves Cry. Manfred Mann also did a solid cover 'For You' also from his debut album and is incredibly underrated; give it a listen if you're ever curious!

Not gonna be original and say “Born to Run”. It was the first Springsteen song I’ve listened to ; because I was reading Battle Royale and there were multiple references to it. I was amazed by it and quickly become a Springsteen fan, to the point where I went to see him in concert in June 2013 at the Stade the France. I think it’s the second best live performance I saw from an artist (only topped, and not by far, by Jay-Z and Kanye during the Watch the Throne tour), he was so charismatic and gave us a three hours incredible show. And I gotta thank Born to Run for that.
Ahh, I actually have been meaning to read Battle Royale as I've only ever seen the movie, but I heard that there were a lot of Springsteen references as a whole and I know I'd enjoy the deep dive.

Truthfully, Born To Run is my favourite album of his as well; I saw him play the entire album start to finish in East Rutherford, NJ in 2009, and I think that was perhaps the last live performance of Clarence Clemons where he played Jungleland before he passed, and I remember that moment being absolutely transcendental for me. I'd love to see him in Europe if I could; I feel he takes on a whole other energy if only for the option he might play Born in the USA live haha. I love the live version in Rome on Spotify where it's some 40,000 Italians scream-singing BOOOOOOOORN IN THE YOU ESS AYY that just gives me goosebumps haha. My favourite performance is probably also from New Jersey in 2016 as he wrapped his Ties That Bind tour. It would end up being his fourth longest show at 3 hours and 56 minutes, but it included Santa Claus Is Coming To Town in the middle of August so it was pretty fun 😋

Favorite Springsteen song? Isn't it obvious?

God I love that Hard Rock festival performance, and Nils just goes insane on that solo. He may not be as mobile but he was still going hard when doing Because The Night when I saw him two weeks ago in Buffalo. Just in general, I love when these slower songs get worked up into a full band performance from their studio recording origins

Also a phenomenal show; got this concert performance on vinyl from Record Store Day in 2017. I love how in interviews he talks about how he was absolutely trembling going into it because he was so unused to all the sudden fame, but you'd never guess it otherwise. Plus, there's just nothing more hype inducing for a concert moment than Born To Run with all the house lights on. Band at full tilt ahead, going faster than the studio version's 150 bpm (and your heartrate matching the speed like your workout is that high intensity).
I also never realized until now, but I am loving the hat accessories for everyone. Absolutely no coordination. No consistent theme. The only one not wearing a hat is Max Weinberg on the drums, but he's in a tanktop. It's amazing ahaha

Good day everyone!

-Brofield ❤️
US
Gotta be Blinded by the Light, the Manfred Mann cover. As a teen my main first exposure to classic pop musics was my dad’s midnight special dvds, and that’s just one heck of a fun performance.

US
Gotta be Blinded by the Light, the Manfred Mann cover. As a teen my main first exposure to classic pop musics was my dad’s midnight special dvds, and that’s just one heck of a fun performance.

You know it's wild, all these years and not once have I ever seen nor heard a live performance of Manfred's version of the song (also wait, Manfred is a decade older than Bruce??) But damn this looks groovy as hell; I should look into more midnight specials to check out haha

The River is most definitely the best song to be sung by the boss:

But one of my personal favorites is Johnny 99 from Nebraska:

The boss is even better when he embraces the rock and roll as it always has been. Pretty depressing song though.

Sheesh I’ve had Asuras wrath and Metal Gear rising revengence in my backlog forever
You know it's wild, all these years and not once have I ever seen nor heard a live performance of Manfred's version of the song (also wait, Manfred is a decade older than Bruce??) But damn this looks groovy as hell; I should look into more midnight specials to check out haha
Midnight Special is a trip, they did a by the decade plus best of dvd set(don’t know if they did a reprint or put in bluray) that is totally awesome, and it’s wild cause this is long before mtv or music videos being a thing so it was one of the original live performance shows ever broadcasted. It’s what a lot of these YouTube postings are pulled from(the dvd I mean). It’s been a while but a couple off the top of my head that are definitely worth looking up are: Feels so Good(Chuck Mangione), Deliah(Tom Jones), Summer Breeze(do I even need to say on this one?), Le Freak, and for the last one I’ll just post it

(Not my fave Argent song tho, Lothlorien, Liar and God Gave rock and roll to you rank higher)

Sheesh I’ve had Asuras wrath and Metal Gear rising revengence in my backlog forever
Bought them for PS3 and played only a little of Asura while Metal Gear Rising... it's still sealed. I'm willing to pay for $60 each if CapKon ever decide to bring to Switch. Come on pubs! Salvage your games from the dark depths of the generation 7.

Bought them for PS3 and played only a little of Asura while Metal Gear Rising... it's still sealed. I'm willing to pay for $60 each if CapKon ever decide to bring to Switch. Come on pubs! Salvage your games from the dark depths of the generation 7.
I’m still dreaming of that Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy remaster…

Thankfully I have both on xbox

Wanna see how the longest running gameshow in the US got set up on its last day of taping in the Bob Barker Studio? It's moving to a new studio for season 52 onward.

Homo sapiens has been around for over 100,000 years, and we got to live in the 0.04% of that where Nintendo games are a thing.

Yeah but we never got to live in an age where Homer Directs where a thing. Imagine looking at the town bulletin board and seeing "Release timing update for the Sequel to the Iliad" . How exciting.

Big news everyone. Crunchyroll just uploaded Persona 5 the Stage which I think is a live stage play based on Persona 5. It's split into 2 nearly 3-hour long parts. I know some of you are super excited and taking the day off work tomorrow to check it out.

Good day everyone!

-Brofield ❤️
US
Jungeland is my favorite, my dad would often play the album this song was on for our trip home. It would end almost at the exact time we would pull in, so that always kind of stuck with me. So even when that wasn't playing for our trip home I would remember the ending and have that play off in my head to "complete" the car ride home. lol I still do this on occasion now for long trips. Other than that I really like the sax, violin and piano here accompanied by his singing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom