• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Samus have no upgrades at the start of Super Metroid? She has successfully delivered the Metroid larvae to the scientists on planet Ceres (following the successful mission on SR388 where she upgraded her suit and arsenal many times), answered the distress call, and then followed Ridley to Zebes. Where along the line did she lose all her abilities and then need to find them again?
Isn’t this just like how Megaman/MMX doesn’t have an extra 8 abilities each time, or still needs to find e-tanks, his assistants etc each game? It’s just a gameplay conceit that doesn’t really need explaining, or at least the attempt to do so is hard to justify over and over again. Some of my favourites that do though are Alucard at the start of Symphony of the Night. Or Ys VIII’s opening, where Adol starts on a ship with the awesome sword from the end of his previous adventure, but it soon goes overboard with him and is lost to the depths.

Isn’t this just like how Megaman/MMX doesn’t have an extra 8 abilities each time, or still needs to find e-tanks, his assistants etc each game? It’s just a gameplay conceit that doesn’t really need explaining, or at least the attempt to do so is hard to justify over and over again. Some of my favourites that do though are Alucard at the start of Symphony of the Night. Or Ys VIII’s opening, where Adol starts on a ship with the awesome sword from the end of his previous adventure, but it soon goes overboard with him and is lost to the depths.
Yes, and usually I accept that (Zelda is a prime example)... But at the start of Super Metroid it goes to great pains to explain the story of the previous 2 games as if they are very much entwined and linked together... I just have to imagine that Ridley knocking into Samus while escaping with the baby Metroid somehow knocked all of her upgrade systems offline or something. Maybe it will all be explained in the later games that I've yet to play.

Amnesia is another common trope to explain away abilities lost!

Google Translation:

Play "Celesa and the Lost Child Devil" ↓
I want a child like Celesa↓
An unprecedented marriage boom is coming↓
The problem of declining birth rate will be solved ↓
everyone happy

It seems there was no plan for a Bayonetta Origins ST so I made a basic discussion thread. If you are playing the game and want a home for discussion hop on in!

Google Translation:

Play "Celesa and the Lost Child Devil" ↓
I want a child like Celesa↓
An unprecedented marriage boom is coming↓
The problem of declining birth rate will be solved ↓
everyone happy

Well, it doesn't sound like a good plan. But it's a better plan that whatever the current JP government comes up with.

Between the collage mode for Disco Elysium and the announcement of P5X, it felt like a rather blursed day for video game franchises I love.

On one hand, no one asked for these. Something just feels wrong.
On the other hand.... damn, it is free (kinda) and it does look so so good.

This is me towards the Steam Deck right now:

spongebob-dry.gif

Seriously though. I have a gaming laptop. I don't travel much (and when I do my journeys are, like, an hour at most). I don't have a hectic life-style like a parent or someone might. I have a really nice TV in my room literally right next to my bed. I even have a coffee-table/desk hybrid that makes PC gaming on my laptop really comfortable. I don't even play much emulation as, frankly, I don't know how tf people get games onto their PC (that and old games are hella expensive nowadays).

There is really no good reason why I should buy a Steam Deck.

But I still have the temptation.

Why.

Why does Samus have no upgrades at the start of Super Metroid? She has successfully delivered the Metroid larvae to the scientists on planet Ceres (following the successful mission on SR388 where she upgraded her suit and arsenal many times), answered the distress call, and then followed Ridley to Zebes. Where along the line did she lose all her abilities and then need to find them again?
Prime and Fusion were the first games in the series to even attempt to justify the power loss.

Been a while, any rumours of a zelda direct, indie world or anything?
Nothing rumoured, really. I think some people predict/expect some kinda of Zelda thingy, but truthfully vibes are off for me.

Not just Direct, but also vibes of getting a Sega Genesis/N64 update later this month. I'd love to be wrong, but somehow I just feel terrified and pre-emptively disappointed that the godawful dripfeed is slowing down so early after hardly a year of Expansion Pass.

This is me towards the Steam Deck right now:

spongebob-dry.gif

Seriously though. I have a gaming laptop. I don't travel much (and when I do my journeys are, like, an hour at most). I don't have a hectic life-style like a parent or someone might. I have a really nice TV in my room literally right next to my bed. I even have a coffee-table/desk hybrid that makes PC gaming on my laptop really comfortable. I don't even play much emulation as, frankly, I don't know how tf people get games onto their PC (that and old games are hella expensive nowadays).

There is really no good reason why I should buy a Steam Deck.

But I still have the temptation.

Why.
new, shiny, expensive, on sale are the salt, fat, acid, heat of impulse purchases

Going to be starting Metroid Prime Remastered for the first time ever… what am I in for?
I am also playing for the first time after finishing Fusion for the 1st time and it's amazing how they translated the game into a 3d experience! Only 3 hours in so far, but I'm loving it!

The Zelda news you all wanted! Cancelling my pre order and ordering from Japan!

I want this

The Zelda news you all wanted! Cancelling my pre order and ordering from Japan!

I carry my own cutlery in my bag everywhere I go, so if this had a nice case like mine does, I'd be pretty happy with this. More practical than most pre-order bonuses!

Perfect for chowing down on some chilly fruit and shroom mix.

Week 3 Question
Guten Freitag, meine Freunde! Coming at you hot with another Top 6 list I want to see from you! For the third week of questions I have to ask: What were your top 6 big budget, triple AAA games you enjoyed on Switch? Typically it might be first party entries, but there are some third party games that maybe you opted to play on Switch as opposed to PC/Xbox/PS5/Deck and felt well rewarded for your choice, what have been your favourite experiences specifically on the Switch? Once again (now with feeling!), don't just make it a list; offer up a sentence or three about what made them so special!

I'll present my list (unranked):

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
165 hours and a year and a half of my life sunk into this game, and even now it still resonates deeply within me. I think for something as grand a world as the game provides with colourful characters, it is the definition of a sandbox at its core. I mean, the first time someone told you that if you're careful about attacking a wild bear but not killing it, you could "technically" mount it like a horse and ride it around for a little while? Which then inspired you to find out what other beasts you could attempt taming and making the stable owners freak out when you try to register creatures that are most certainly not equine in nature haha (or not exactly 'alive', shoutout the Stalhorses in the Akkala Region)

Super Mario Odyssey
I think what makes it such a fun romp is a combination of being able to explore at your own pace, while the game scales its challenge accordingly with just as serious as you want to play the game. I was never any good at balloon challenges, but I did appreciate watching others do an amazing job hiding or finding them and truly showing off Mario's athletic capabilities hopping from wall to ledge to wall to wall to ledge to backflip to capture to high jump to dive and swim under a canal to a hidden cave.

Monster Hunter: Rise
Bahbahbah BAHH, buhBAH bahbah BAHHHHH is just such a great intro into a vast world that is just as intimidating as you are as a hunter. Not to mention, wirebug as a traversal mechanic? WAY influential (and later this love would translate easily to Halo Infinite), but damn it's just as fun making it your own challenge on how high you can fly into the air with your wirebugs to zip in the sky to your target before engaging in combat. Also the first Monster Hunter game where I never quite hit that skill wall where I bounced off MH3 Tri and MH4 as early; and this is all before I've even gotten around to buying the DLC, too!

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
I think this game is as good a reason as any why anyone who's a fan will never consider trading in their Switch console so long as they have a method to return to playing this game. This is as big as the series will ever get, and though I've gotten my fill in terms of single player, getting to play with others is always an experience of just overstimulating colours and explosions and absolute hilarity in shenanigans when you don't take the game seriously.

Metroid Dread
This is only the second Metroid game I've actually beaten (the first being Metroid Prime 3: Corruption), but wow this is just as good a reason to encourage people to jump into the series now. It's such a tight experience that I didn't even mind it took me ten hours to clear, because I understand the itch like never before of wanting to persist to clear this game as fast as possible. Taking the time I did though to explore and finding the missile and health upgrades also never felt so addicting, and now with the chance to play all the other 2D Metroid games, I feel excited getting to understand what made the games so beloved in the first place.

Luigi's Mansion 3
It's a Pixar movie turned into a game. The cutscenes are stunning and the game in action is a graphical showcase, and not just for a Switch game. So many lighting and cast shadows can draw you to it as a technical marvel, but what about the actual game itself? I'll identify as a purist and say the first game still remains my favourite for actually having a spooky element to it and the overall designs of the spirits, but this game captures a blend of what made the original so popular, what worked well in Dark Moon to provide more environments to explore, and then its own original ideas by fleshing out characters further, Gooigi, and new methods of exploring the levels. I actually have to go back sometime and play more of Scarescraper, and also I never remembered to go back and check out the movie director ghost to see what his final product ended up being 😅

Anyways, those are my top 6! Can't wait to hear yours! Haben Sie einen super Wochenende und ein schön Bayonetta Origins Tag!

Are they trying to make Bo-Katan sexier in Mandalorian Season 3? I don't remember her armor and her walk being this "feminine" in Season 2 but it's been a while since I watched that.

Top 6 big budget triple A games I enjoyed on the Switch, in no particular order...
Pokemon Sword
Splatoon 3
Persona 5 Royal
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Pokemon Scarlet

Going to be starting Metroid Prime Remastered for the first time ever… what am I in for?
Great game that was ahead of its time in a lot of aspects but some things are behind the times. Still a great game. I'd start off with casual mode. It's weird but casual is normal, normal is hard, and whatever the third difficulty is called is very hard. Normal starts out okay but there is one area that hits a difficulty spike and normal becomes unbearable, especially for a first playthrough and you don't know what you're doing.

Are they trying to make Bo-Katan sexier in Mandalorian Season 3? I don't remember her armor and her walk being this "feminine" in Season 2 but it's been a while since I watched that.
Not sure about the walk. If I remember right she was mostly fighting (running) or standing still in season 2. Armor wise each actor/actress got to put on details to their armor that they wanted so it's most likely a decision made by her.

Here is my list for the Top “Big Budget” games (honestly I don’t know if they cost a lot but they fit in the prestige AAA style):

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - just a revelation at the time and was so hooked on it. Even if things got repetitive (same shrines and no dungeons), the depth of the mechanics and the over world were amazing.
  • Super Mario Odyssey - I would put this as my favorite switch game. Seeing the New Donk City challenge in person was like a nostalgia bomb exploded in my heart. Loved every second of it and think it’s the best 3D Mario to date (maybe tire with Galaxy 2. I waffle on that).
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate - besides being a great smash game, the sheer fan service was next level. Having that coalesce into a great game and single player mode that was hands down better than the Wii U version was something else. The zeitgeist around the game was maybe even better. I know some got annoyed with it, but the smash hype is one of my favorite parts of the Nintendo fandom.
  • Splatoon 2 - maybe 3 has more mechanics and is the distillation of the formula (plus the salmon run mode is more fleshed out), but still prefer 2. The Splatfests were better with only 2 teams. Single player story was bad until they did Octo Expansion, which is the best Nintendo DLC to date. The challenge, the inventiveness, the final battle! Peak level design and style.
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - just wanted to add this for the title alone. But seriously, this is how you do a port. Combine all the previous modes, add orchestral music (glad we get someone in the new games hopefully that isn’t an objective piece of shit), make not run well without too many compromises. Just a great game. Now just need to beat it.
  • Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle - I don’t think this is better than Mario Kart 8, ACNH, Dread, or LM3, but wanted to include it because this is how you do an offshoot with a beloved character. This is the formula Nintendo needs to use to enhance their portfolio. Plus crying Soliani is beyond heartwarming.

John Wick Ch2 was definitely a work of art. I’m not sure what that Italian dude was expecting would happen. I like that it seems to have led directly into Ch3, which I will watch either tonight or tomorrow.
Love the john wick movies and thi k they get better with each new installment .

No idea about budgets, but this would be my top 6 ‘big boxed games’ on Switch-

Monster Hunter Rise
SMTV
Dragon Quest XIS
Octopath Traveller 2
Breath of the Wild
Monster Hunter Stories 2. (or Triangle Strategy. One of the two).

Genuine question, did Blizzard make up for all that shit they did that caused people to say they were boycotting them? I've not been paying a lot of attention to it but I'm seeing people posting about Diablo 4 so I guess they did. Or people just stopped giving a shit about the controversy after it fell out of popular culture which wouldn't surprise me.

Great game that was ahead of its time in a lot of aspects but some things are behind the times. Still a great game. I'd start off with casual mode. It's weird but casual is normal, normal is hard, and whatever the third difficulty is called is very hard. Normal starts out okay but there is one area that hits a difficulty spike and normal becomes unbearable, especially for a first playthrough and you don't know what you're doing.
I'm really enjoying it as a first time going through it myself. I do wish you could fast travel between save points. It gets to be a bit of a slow having to backtrack through the same areas over and over.

Really like the music and the vibe of the game. The difficulty seems very fair. My favorite power ups so far is the double jump, makes platforming so much easier.

Love the john wick movies and thi k they get better with each new installment .
It’s the closest I’ve seen to a Hotline Miami movie. They’re a lot of fun. Didn’t get around to Ch3 last night, so I’ll watch it tonight.

I'm really enjoying it as a first time going through it myself. I do wish you could fast travel between save points. It gets to be a bit of a slow having to backtrack through the same areas over and over.

Really like the music and the vibe of the game. The difficulty seems very fair. My favorite power ups so far is the double jump, makes platforming so much easier.
You haven't gotten to the part with the difficulty spike yet. I hadn't played it in years and when I got to that part during my playthrough last month the difficulty was so bad I actually considered starting a new save file on the easiest difficulty. Only reason I made it through is I memorized enemy locations, stopped scanning new enemies, and even then I barely survived because of the lack of healing drops from enemies. There's like two save locations and enemies mostly drop missiles even when you need health.

It’s the closest I’ve seen to a Hotline Miami movie. They’re a lot of fun. Didn’t get around to Ch3 last night, so I’ll watch it tonight.
If the escalation and over the top violence you are a fan of, chapter 3 will not disappoint.

What were your top 6 big budget, triple AAA games you enjoyed on Switch?
1- Dragon Quest XI: Now this is the pinaccle of JRPG genre and it’s on Switch. Couldn’t get any better than this, only one to take its crown will be the next DQ game/
2- Astral Chain: It’s hard to create a slasher new IP that’s also interesting as hell but Platinum did it. Everyday I’m praying for a sequel/
3- Shin Megami Tensei 5: Don’t know how Atlus does it but they did it, they addressed every single issue with SMT4. It was a joy to spend my 90 hours on this.
4- Monster hunter Rise: Another one of those ”better than previous one in every way” games. On top of that, Sunbreak still. stands as best G upgrade ever.
5- Bayonetta 3: How can a combat be this satisfying? Both as a kaiju and Bayo herself…
6- NEO The World Ends With You: I had no doubt Nomura would surpass the first one with this sequel but damn, he still managed to surprise me. Such smooth transition from touch battles to full 3D action ones.

Honorable mentions: Fire Emblem Three Houses/Engage, Xenoblade. 3, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet, Smash, Trials of Mana, Immortals, Doom Eternal

Ok so I bought a Steam Deck

Shit

(Honestly really really excited. I thought I didn’t have much usage for one but now that I think about it, I think I’ll get some good time with it. Already bought Persona 5 Royale to play on it when it gets here!)

Genuine question, did Blizzard make up for all that shit they did that caused people to say they were boycotting them? I've not been paying a lot of attention to it but I'm seeing people posting about Diablo 4 so I guess they did. Or people just stopped giving a shit about the controversy after it fell out of popular culture which wouldn't surprise me.
Depends on which of their myriad controversies you're talking about.

I occasionally play World of Warcraft, and from what I can tell the WoW developers seem to be in a much better and safer environment than they used to be, but that's purely from social media and the occasional developer interview. It probably helps that the Dragonflight expansion is very good, especially after the past two weren't received well.

I can't really speak to Overwatch, Diablo, Hearthstone, or any of the other teams they have. I know there was recently an internal town hall with the head of Blizzard that upset many employees.

If we're talking about Blitzchung and Hong Kong, I don't think that was ever addressed in a satisfactory way, and folks ended up forgetting about it.

So that thread about genres actually reminded me of a story from my youth. It's actually a little embarrassing so I'm leaving it in [HIDE] tags, but it's not especially wild and definitely safe for work. @LukasManak22 might get a kick out of it specifically.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

So that thread about genres actually reminded me of a story from my youth. It's actually a little embarrassing so I'm leaving it in *** Hidden text: cannot be quoted. ***
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom