• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capcom managed to pull themselves out of the ditch, but Square just keep digging.

Should Splatoon go the Smash Bros approach? Go from custom skins only to the ability to use nintendo characters from multiple franchises with everyone having their own abilities? I can see a big concern already for balancing, but the idea just dawned on me.

Should Splatoon go the Smash Bros approach? Go from custom skins only to the ability to use nintendo characters from multiple franchises with everyone having their own abilities? I can see a big concern already for balancing, but the idea just dawned on me.
No. It would kill the vibes.

Goddamn Bill 😅

XKufadv.png

dHiNBrQ.png

P35R5kS.png

Happy Mario Day I guess

Twenty three years to deflect an asteroid, compared to a six month heads up in Don't Look Up, and still watch humanity to find a way to botch it 🥲

Twenty three years to deflect an asteroid, compared to a six month heads up in Don't Look Up, and still watch humanity to find a way to botch it 🥲
This is why we started the Space Force, right? Need to have them get all the mining crews they can to start training for an Armageddon style mission

Week 2 Question
Another Friday, another Top 6 list I want to see from you! For the second week of questions I have to ask: What were your top 6 remasters/remakes/upgraded ports of games you enjoyed on Switch? Whether it was your first time or sixth time playing these games, what have been your favourite experiences to revisit specifically on the Switch? But like before, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

I'll present my list (unranked):

Pikmin 3 Deluxe
While I was admittedly hesitant at first to pick this up again (specifically because I remembered the first time I played it on Wii U it was so short), as soon as I started a new save file I was reminded so quickly why I've come to love the series. So much comes together in a perfect little package; charming music, lush greenery and environments, adorable characters and enemies, and a brain teasing challenge. Additionally, the difficulty to reduce the number of Pikmin allowed in the field at once while also offering prologue and epilogue missions for Olimar and Louie have just made it worthwhile, and I was happy to do my part to ensure there was sufficient interest shown for Pikmin 4.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
I was sold alone on the promise of a proper Battle Mode, but BOOSTER COURSE PACK solidified this decision to pick the game up.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
It's really so pretty, and though I enjoyed the game on Wii (while not quite finishing it), I can still appreciate the finer details in improving the character models, as well as the bonus story chapter. One day I'll actually get around to pulling my XC2 game out of the CE box 🙃

Portal Collection
I beat the first game on PC, and the second on 360. This came at a perfect time when I was considering going through both again, and wow these puzzles still hold up to this day. You'll scratch your head, aching on how to solve a challenge, but when it all clicks, you feel like the smartest person in the room. I even felt inclined to go back and finish all the challenge rooms like I hadn't before, and the options for Portal 2's multiplayer whether splitscreen, local wireless or online are all fantastic playstyles and do not skimp on options.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Playing this game again is like a time capsule for 2010. The only drawbacks I've had are load times, but the music from 30 Seconds to Mars before Leto became a meme, the righteous DnB of Pendulum's "Watercolour" to get you hyped while driving along the coastline highway at night in the rain, and just the aesthetic of cars from 2010 are cool as hell (and I love making them ugly as sin by picking custom colours and make them as bright neon highliter pink as possible 😋)

Super Monkey Ball
I dunno what it is about this game, it's just fun. I also appreciate that no matter how challenging it gets, the game does offer an easy mode and slow down mode. While it's a shame it doesn't offer online, the multiplayer for 1-4 players is still as fun as it ever was back on the Gamecube when I could only ever rent those games

The only reason Metroid Prime Remastered (and Skyward Sword HD, and Link's Awakening DX) aren't on my list is because I haven't got them yet, but I do hope to fix that in the future! There are a number of other games I'd like to consider like Darksiders, The Witcher 3, L.A. Noire, DOOM, and Alan Wake, but they're all in my backlog and I've yet to give them a go (or at least finish them proper) 😋

It's wild that Nintendo gave up on tens of millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of sales because they were too cheap to give Biff voice lines.

Clearly the solution is blockchain/NFT nonsense! That'll really boost our sales!

More seriously, I hope this doesn't land on a lot of the smaller, more unusual games SE has been putting out lately. I'm loving that trend even if I've only played some of them. And SE has FF16 and FF7R2 both coming out on the horizon, which will probably do just fine sales-wise so I don't think it's a huge problem or anything.

I’ll give a crack at it, but haven’t even played a lot of these lol…

• THPS 1+2 - pretty good port despite halved frame rate. Was so fun to have this on portable. Too bad Activision sucks and killed THPS3 remaster. Please though, put the GBA games on NSO. Those were so amazing
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe - loved this on Wii U but never played the DLC. Cannot wait until 4. Easily a top 5 series for me.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - not even counting the booster pass, this game did 2 things that cemented it as a definitive update. Added a real battle mode and allowed you to carry 2 items again. That last change cannot be discounted. Simple but changed the whole dynamic of races.
  • Links Awakening - I do like the GBA version better I think, but the art style was so good and the access to more buttons made it so much more enjoyable to control. The Dampe part was dumb though.
  • Live A Live - literally only started this, but something with this care and love in it is what we need more of. Give me more square
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - I played a lot of this on 3DS, and the ability to actually see things was a revelation. Still not that far into it, but the quest log or whatever is also a huge thing. Makes it much easier to manage the massive number of quests.

"some (not all) of the RPGs that the publisher released in the timeframe include The DioField Chronicle, Star Ocean The Divine Force, Harvestella, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Dragon Quest Treasures, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, and Valkyrie Elysium"

Seeing that list drives me insane. All titles that target the same (niche) audience, and they all released in the span of six months.

What were your top 6 remasters/remakes/upgraded ports of games you enjoyed on Switch?
  • MK8 Dx, because it feels like the definitive Mario Kart, an incredible game to play with friends, even after all these years.
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury, because you have a faster version of a great Mario game plus an add-on which, taken separately, was one of the best games of the year of its release.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, because it's an incredible game with useful QoL improvements and the new song slaps.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles DE / Metroid Prime Remaster, I put them together because the work on them is fairly similar, just two teams going above and beyond so we can finally play two quintessential games in HD.
  • Link's Awakening, because of how cute the new art style is.
  • Persona 5 Royal, because the mere convenience of being able to play it on the go makes the length of the game much more bearable.

"some (not all) of the RPGs that the publisher released in the timeframe include The DioField Chronicle, Star Ocean The Divine Force, Harvestella, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, Dragon Quest Treasures, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, and Valkyrie Elysium"

Seeing that list drives me insane. All titles that target the same (niche) audience, and they all released in the span of six months.

• MK8 Dx, because it feels like the definitive Mario Kart, an incredible game to play with friends, even after all these years.
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury, because you have a faster version of a great Mario game plus an add-on which, taken separately, was one of the best games of the year of its release.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, because it's an incredible game with useful QoL improvements and the new song slaps.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles DE / Metroid Prime Remaster, I put them together because the work on them is fairly similar, just two teams going above and beyond so we can finally play two quintessential games in HD.
  • Link's Awakening, because of how cute the new art style is.
  • Persona 5 Royal, because the mere convenience of being able to play it on the go makes the length of the game much more bearable.
Didn’t think about 3D world but the speed increase was a major change. Plus the whole other game.

I'm feeling salty and want to get this vent off my chest:

If Super Mario 64 in SM3DAS was given the same kind of love and attention that Thwomp Fortress got in Super Mario Galaxy 2's Throwback Galaxy, it wouldn't have left such a sour taste in everyone's mouth when it was finally revealed. Hell I probably would have enjoyed SM64 more.

In fact as I was typing this, I bet Throwback Galaxy is why they didn't include SMG2 in the collection; Nintendo didn't want to get shown up on what they did better a decade ago.
counterpoint: one level in a completely different engine that is based on — but not a true rebuild of — a classic is a very different thing than a remaster

I do get them not going edge to edge, not remaking the graphics, etc. Honestly, I like that it’s crisper and retains the original. I think it suits it, and the updated UI is nice.

Sunshine looks great at full width but it was always built in a way that could do that while retaining the feeling (which I love, despite being an outlier in that department)

they could have done something comparable to the kinds of mods we’re seeing now… but I honestly think that would be a different project. and at least personally… I don’t want them to spend time on that project.

just my opinions on it tho! I know I’m somewhat against the grain

The reactions to Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad and certain others GaaS/Live Service games makes me wonder if developers and publishers are taking a hard look at the games they currently have in development and reevaluating their business model. I don't think they're going anywhere but it seems like the market cannot support quite as many as companies want to make. Continually supporting games post-release can be lucrative but also a massive money sink. t's definitely going to be interesting to see whether anyone reacts at all, like Sony who has like a gazillion multiplayer GaaS in development.

The reactions to Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad and certain others GaaS/Live Service games makes me wonder if developers and publishers are taking a hard look at the games they currently have in development and reevaluating their business model. I don't think they're going anywhere but it seems like the market cannot support quite as many as companies want to make. Continually supporting games post-release can be lucrative but also a massive money sink. t's definitely going to be interesting to see whether anyone reacts at all, like Sony who has like a gazillion multiplayer GaaS in development.
I would look at the literal bloodbath of GaaS games closing down over the next few months as evidence enough that’s it’s not worth it. What’s the hit rate in these? 5%?

Clearly this means Sony should buy Square Enix. Or that Square Enix messed up by not releasing the games on Xbox where like a dozen people tops would've bought them.

Instead of releasing so many games in a 4 month window and not advertising any of them.
Legitimately they released multiple games I was interested in across September through February (like, 5?) but I only bought one because they were all RPGs.

Creating competition for their own games was stupid and they have no one to blame but themselves. I might manage to get around to Crisis Core and DQ Treasures one day, but it's not likely.

I don't think Gotham Knights is GaaS but the loot elements in the game make it seem like it is. As for live service games in general, it kind of makes sense that companies would try to make them. If game development is taking longer and longer, you need something to bring in revenue in the mean time. In theory, continuously updating an existing game should be easier than releasing a bunch of new ones in a given year. However, I do think the market is becoming saturated and it doesn't make sense for the game company to be making multiple live service games, especially if the genres overlap. People only have so much time and current live service demand that you devote all your free time to a single one for fear of missing out. By now, the average consumer has their one or two live service games they are already invested in and are less willing to jump into something new.

I would look at the literal bloodbath of GaaS games closing down over the next few months as evidence enough that’s it’s not worth it. What’s the hit rate in these? 5%?

Big gamble for big potential gains, I guess. To be honest, I don't think any of the GaaS that were shut down in the last few months really had the makings of a big hit on the scale of Fortnite or Destiny. But it does give me pause about the viability of the model.

I don't think Gotham Knights is GaaS but the loot elements in the game make it seem like it is. As for live service games in general, it kind of makes sense that companies would try to make them. If game development is taking longer and longer, you need something to bring in revenue in the mean time. In theory, continuously updating an existing game should be easier than releasing a bunch of new ones in a given year. However, I do think the market is becoming saturated and it doesn't make sense for the game company to be making multiple live service games, especially if the genres overlap. People only have so much time and current live service demand that you devote all your free time to a single one for fear of missing out. By now, the average consumer has their one or two live service games they are already invested in and are less willing to jump into something new.

Precisely. There's already multiple big live service games that anyone with a passing interest could have jumped on by now and I've yet to see something that made me think it could siphon users away. That doesn't mean there won't be any successful GaaS in the future but it's become extremely difficult to find that one breakout hit.

Fami is there any way to gift digital switch games?

Like would I have to buy a download code from GameStop or something and just send the code to that person, or does Nintendo allow for such things at an eshop level?

Fami is there any way to gift digital switch games?

Like would I have to buy a download code from GameStop or something and just send the code to that person, or does Nintendo allow for such things at an eshop level?
No gifting through the eShop, sadly. You'll have to buy a code.

Honestly the market feels more crowded than ever in general. I dunno how people have time and money for all of these games lol.

Another Friday, another Top 6 list I want to see from you! For the second week of questions I have to ask: What were your top 6 remasters/remakes/upgraded ports of games you enjoyed on Switch? Whether it was your first time or sixth time playing these games, what have been your favourite experiences to revisit specifically on the Switch? But like before, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

Alphabetical Order. I'll avoid using the NSO or anything first party related for this exercise

Capcom Fighting Game Collection (Mainly Vampire Savior)- Definitely a top 3 purchase for me last year. I never touched most of the games on that list and I was hooked for weeks.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy- Even though I've played on PlayStation consoles for a long time, I barely touched this series. Parts of the trilogy did not age well, but the whole package is worth a play.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles- Starts slow, but once it picks up it doesn't stop. This was the perfect on the go game for the Switch.

L.A Noire- This game serves as a reminder that Rockstar used to make games besides GTA and Read Dead Redemption.

Phantasy Star- I'm glad that Sega ported this with necessary upgrades because some of these pre-SNES/Genesis JRPGs are borderline unplayable.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Cowabunga Collection- I still can't believe this happened.

counterpoint: one level in a completely different engine that is based on — but not a true rebuild of — a classic is a very different thing than a remaster

I do get them not going edge to edge, not remaking the graphics, etc. Honestly, I like that it’s crisper and retains the original. I think it suits it, and the updated UI is nice.

Sunshine looks great at full width but it was always built in a way that could do that while retaining the feeling (which I love, despite being an outlier in that department)

they could have done something comparable to the kinds of mods we’re seeing now… but I honestly think that would be a different project. and at least personally… I don’t want them to spend time on that project.

just my opinions on it tho! I know I’m somewhat against the grain
You know, yeah I wouldn't even say your points are all that controversial. I think I just want an excuse to see the games cleaned up a lil better with some extra graphical flair but mostly to fix the camera controls. Something even like the Spyro or Crash collections and how they handled their remasters, like mentioned below (although, both series trilogies were contained to one console; unlike SM3DAS across three console generations, so 🤷‍♂️ who knows if it's even feasible haha)

Alphabetical Order. I'll avoid using the NSO or anything first party related for this exercise

Capcom Fighting Game Collection (Mainly Vampire Savior)- Definitely a top 3 purchase for me last year. I never touched most of the games on that list and I was hooked for weeks.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy- Even though I've played on PlayStation consoles for a long time, I barely touched this series. Parts of the trilogy did not age well, but the whole package is worth a play.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles- Starts slow, but once it picks up it doesn't stop. This was the perfect on the go game for the Switch.

L.A Noire- This game serves as a reminder that Rockstar used to make games besides GTA and Read Dead Redemption.

Phantasy Star- I'm glad that Sega ported this with necessary upgrades because some of these pre-SNES/Genesis JRPGs are borderline unplayable.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Cowabunga Collection- I still can't believe this happened.
Yeah, Crash Bandicoot trilogy does also deserve praise. I have the game myself but only played a few levels on a friend's console; I should get around to starting it myself but from what I did play, it seemed highly polished while also retaining the spirit of the original games (that I also only played at another friend's house back in the 90s lmao)

I’d definitely say Crash Trilogy too, I played it on the PS4 but still love those games

The problem with crossovers is that you eventually run out of other franchises' characters.
DQXIS - didn't play the OG, DQ always holds down the fort as far as classic JRPGs go, and the added content makes me glad I played this version
XCDE - played the original on Wii, while I'm not a huge fan of the artstyle changes, this version is definitely better as far QoL, and FC was a fun XC3 teaser
Trials of Mana - didn't know what to expect going in, but this surprised me as a solid action-Japanese RPG. the different character stories help it hold up on replays
GAAC - didn't play the fan translations, these games are absolutely up there with the OG trilogy. GAAA is kinda slow, but GAAR pays it off well
MK8DX - wasn't too hot on MK8 so I only picked this up for the BCP, but it's been fun to get back into it with some buddies
Pokken - didn't play it on Wii U, unfortunately it's hard to get people into it, but it's great as both a Pokémon vehicle and a fighting game

I usually don't buy straight rereleases of games I've played before, and the others I've played that I didn't list were no exception
Development cycles for games are so long that most of these games were conceptualized back when GaaS was its biggest/most-hyped. The ship of game development steers slowly and without grace; I would expect to see more of them stumble out of the gate in the next year or so.

Honestly the market feels more crowded than ever in general. I dunno how people have time and money for all of these games lol.
Yeah, certain genres at least. I have a stack of RPGs that I need to get to but I wouldn't mind a few 3D platformers or, just throwing something out there, a jet ski racing game with complex water physics.

Alright, it has happened.
Flights and hotel for Japan - and Super Nintendo World - booked and fixed. 2 weeks in April.

Nerves.

very happy to see nintendo giving their most underrated franchise a strong push
sony's going for the human wave tactic where you just throw so many of them out there at least 1 or 2 might make it to the line. it would be great if they all blew up in their face tho.

Yeah, certain genres at least. I have a stack of RPGs that I need to get to but I wouldn't mind a few 3D platformers or, just throwing something out there, a jet ski racing game with complex water physics.
Mario and Sonic (and, uh, DK I guess?) aside, I don’t think most people are clamoring for Scrimblo Bimblo’s Scrunkly Adventure right now. Platformers feel like the domain of indie devs, the funny wahoo jumpman people and the funny blue hedgehog people these days. Maybe Crash has a market (I guess they wouldn’t let Wumpa League see the light of day if it didn’t). Other stuff? I dunno. I don’t think most PlayStation or Xbox fans are very interested in cartoony platformers (but they did greenlight Ratchet and Clank, so what do I know.) The market’s just more favourable to RPGs and “cinematic” action games right now, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom