• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the remake coming out, I’ve finally got some desire to play the OG Resi 4. Only issue is, which to play? I own the PC, PS4 and VR versions, but it seems that all come with some downsides. Idk.
I played the PS4 version and had a great time.

I played it on switch as well and had a great time as well

Watching Mandalorian season 3 and
that asteroid field chase scene makes me want new Star Fox
Get Everspace on Switch. It does not have cute furry animals but it does have what you asked for there.

On other consoles: Chorus. It also has that. But I think it'll come to Switch eventually.

I certainly dont expect nintendo’s next box to be rtx capable, and i dont think it should be given how demanding that tech is, and it should be used for other things in nintendo’s games. But ive been playing a ton of minecraft rtx on my pc lately, and it really is stunning. All i could think was how bad i wanted to play zelda or mario with this tech. There are ways to do that on pc, but they seem less legal than im comfortable
With, and dont have a modded wii u or switch to try dumping my own roms with.

Gotta say, yes Minecraft RTX is stunning but aside from it and a handful of other games I have yet to see how groundbreaking ray tracing is for us. Maybe I'm the problem here, maybe I need new glasses or too many hours on the Switch got me used to simpler graphics, but it seems like a very demanding stuff for results that are most often mid. Imo a game like Hitman 3, which doesn't use ray tracing, has better lighting and shadows than a lot of RT games.

Gotta say, yes Minecraft RTX is stunning but aside from it and a handful of other games I have yet to see how groundbreaking ray tracing is for us. Maybe I'm the problem here, maybe I need new glasses or too many hours on the Switch got me used to simpler graphics, but it seems like a very demanding stuff for results that are most often mid. Imo a game like Hitman 3, which doesn't use ray tracing, has better lighting and shadows than a lot of RT games.
Definitely depends on the implementation. While the reflections look great, what really cathes my eye is rtgi. The global illumination in minecraft, cyberpunk, and the witcher 3 are simply divine. I think the issue is that these cards are so expensive and niche, that not as many devs are gonna think its worth while to take the time and energy to implement something like an amazing rtx solution, especially when the ps5 or switch version of their game will inevitably be the best selling sku

What a beautiful looking game. My cup of tea for sure. Straight onto the Deku Deals wishlist. It appears to have been available for Xbox long before this Switch port and has been heavily discounted, so while I don't mind paying a bit more to support the port I think I'll wait for a sale.

With the remake coming out, I’ve finally got some desire to play the OG Resi 4. I went into the other remakes having not played the original games, but this time I want to have some experience so I can see the remake in a different light. That and this is just a lot more accessible to me than the PS1 games.

Only issue is, which to play? I own the PC, PS4 and VR versions, but it seems that all come with some downsides. What would you lot recommend?
PC version with the HD Project mod easy.

Man can’t wait for Resident Evil 4

2 and 3 were a joy and a good time to play; there is a sense of familiarity, but new stuff as well. I’m really excited to see what they are going to do

Man can’t wait for Resident Evil 4

2 and 3 were a joy and a good time to play; there is a sense of familiarity, but new stuff as well. I’m really excited to see what they are going to do

I’ll wait for the switch successor version, but yea it’s going to be good!

huge oversight — I forgot both Creature in the Well and Islets on my list!

What were your top 6 indie games you enjoyed on Switch?

Great question.

1. Hollow Knight - deserving of all its praise. Incredibly immersive, tight and responsible combat, atmospheric as hell. My favorite souls-like not made by From Soft.

2. Slay the Spire - crack cocaine. That's all.

3. Into the Breach - Surprisingly grueling for a game presenting itself as a 16-bit isometric indie title. Fight or die, instantly restart, keep fighting. Fantastic, quick, and complex tactical gameplay.

4. Hades - Utterly sublime gameplay pacing. Roguelite refined to perfection. Fantastic (and mega hott) characterization all around.

5. Wargroove - A comfy (and substantial!) proxy for Advance Wars that carried me through a couple years of starvation for anything Advance Wars-adjacent.

6. Fast RMX - Underrated and overlooked, I think this was a great "side piece" during the initial launch of the Switch. Very competent F-Zero clone with a surprising difficulty spike.

I've put considerable hours into each of these.

At swim lessons and one of the other dads is rocking the switch. Caught a peek and it’s one of the Xenoblade games. Seems like every time I see a switch in public it’s weeb time.

I certainly dont expect nintendo’s next box to be rtx capable, and i dont think it should be given how demanding that tech is, and it should be used for other things in nintendo’s games. But ive been playing a ton of minecraft rtx on my pc lately, and it really is stunning. All i could think was how bad i wanted to play zelda or mario with this tech. There are ways to do that on pc, but they seem less legal than im comfortable
With, and dont have a modded wii u or switch to try dumping my own roms with.
The specs leaked like a year ago and it will have RT cores. Whether or not anyone will use them is unknown.

Looks like I’m set for games until Tears of the kingdom:

Octopath 2
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Mario Kart Courses
I’m trying to do as much of my backlog as I can until Zelda, but I’m definitely gonna fire up Fusion since I enjoyed it back in the day and never finished it. Which I guess does mean it’s technically in my backlog…

Replaying Elden Ring on Xbox before the DLC comes out and I'm shocked how many summon signs I'm able to get at little dungeons off the beaten path. I'm glad to see so many people still playing on Xbox.

Wow, we're really into single-digit weeks until TOTK now aren't we?
It feels much further away cause we've not even seen, like, more than 3 seconds of continuous gameplay footage. Nothing with the HUD. I mean, we had more continuous gameplay of Red Dead Redemption 2 at this point. Honestly can't think of many other big games that have been this secretive with showing unedited gameplay.

It feels much further away cause we've not even seen, like, more than 3 seconds of continuous gameplay footage. Nothing with the HUD. I mean, we had more continuous gameplay of Red Dead Redemption 2 at this point. Honestly can't think of many other big games that have been this secretive with showing unedited gameplay.
they’ve gotta be planning a Zelda infodump between now and release, right? They’ve gotta. They’ve gotta!!

Well everyone, today is the day! Happy sixth birthday Switch! For the first week of questions I have to ask of you: What were your top 6 indie games you enjoyed on Switch? They could be games that have released elsewhere, but if these were hands you first played on Switch, or games you played elsewhere first but then just clicked when you bought them again on Switch, they count! But, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

1. Signalis - While some of its gameplay needs some refinement to stand up to the best examples of the genre, is still a pretty good survival horror game elevated by its masterful presentation and story, it hits so hard.

2. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Such an inventive and varied game with just what is essentially an endless runner style gameplay, is hard to put into words the whole journey that this game makes one go through.

3. If found - A pretty sweet VN, I like how the its main mechanic of writing/erasing to progress to the next story beat is used pretty effectively, making for some great sequences during its climax.

4. No Straight Roads - Combat is pretty simple and its implementation of rhythm at times janky, but it makes up for it by being the textbook definition of soul in videogames, its so full of heart and charm that I can't help but love it.

5. Touhou Luna Nights - This game is basically a Classicvania, and it rules, for the most part pretty tight challenging game, a great risk reward system with grace, excellent pixel art and music, wish it would have accomodated its design to be pretty much stage based game for a much tighter pace, because the Metroid aspect doesn't really add anything to it.

6. Lunistice - I can count with one hand the amount of 3D platformers that can come close to nailing game feel like Mario, this is one of them, the worst I can say about Lunistice is that the camera needs more tracking with the character and that is too cheap on the eshop, criminally cheap.

There is some stuff I played on PC that would be up there, Drainus is on Switch but I didn't play it there yet, Freedom Planet 2 is peak videogames stuff, and hope Potionomics someday makes it to Switch, also would like Mimimi games on Switch, tho that is more likely on a successor.

Nintendo is gonna announce a Zelda Direct and it's just gonna be this on loop:

giphy.gif

they’ve gotta be planning a Zelda infodump between now and release, right? They’ve gotta. They’ve gotta!!
Maybe. Maybe not.

Either way, I ain't watching :p Got my holiday days booked off and I'm ready to experience the game as 'blindly' as possible.

Absolutely. I dunno if you've seen the leaked art book but there is a metric shit ton of new stuff not in the trailers in that. They really have barely scratched the surface of what's in the game with the trailers so far.

Hmm Nate still hasn’t heard anything about a PAX demo for TOTK? I think a week or two ago he said media didn’t hear about any demo at the time.

I really don't like the way the story is presented in F-Zero GX or the anime, even though they're very different approaches. If I had to make an F-Zero game with a story I'd make it where the premise is the games are mostly rigged and exist to promote brands/make money, but since it's the future they've had to go over the top to basically be modern wrestling. So like Captain Falcon and Black Shadow sell different brands of mountain dew and are relatively normal guys outside of the race track. Leon is there because his planet is wracked by war and they want those people to feel some hope and happiness without actually having to stop the war so maybe he gets a big win on a holiday special to them, etc

While I hope to god we get a Zelda Direct, I think the artbook leak has at least gotten me interested enough for the time being. Much more than previous trailers.

Gonna try to knock out as much of my backlog as I can until then.

I really don't like the way the story is presented in F-Zero GX or the anime, even though they're very different approaches. If I had to make an F-Zero game with a story I'd make it where the premise is the games are mostly rigged and exist to promote brands/make money, but since it's the future they've had to go over the top to basically be modern wrestling. So like Captain Falcon and Black Shadow sell different brands of mountain dew and are relatively normal guys outside of the race track. Leon is there because his planet is wracked by war and they want those people to feel some hope and happiness without actually having to stop the war so maybe he gets a big win on a holiday special to them, etc

I find it funny how Capt Falcon in his actual games is probably one of the chillest characters, but the Smash interpretation has always been absolutely over the top. I can't help but feel like the games really should have leaned in harder on this "wrestling" aspect. Really play up the dramas and rivlaries to ridiculous degrees.

Well everyone, today is the day! Happy sixth birthday Switch! For the first week of questions I have to ask of you: What were your top 6 indie games you enjoyed on Switch? They could be games that have released elsewhere, but if these were hands you first played on Switch, or games you played elsewhere first but then just clicked when you bought them again on Switch, they count! But, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!
1. CrossCode

Excellent combat. Fun, escalating puzzles. Oodles of interesting and varied side content. Top tier level design. A heartwarming story.

Look it's in my tag, I love this game to pieces. Just an absolute masterpiece

2. Hollow Knight

Yeah you guys get the drill, it's Hollow Knight. Excellent Metroidvania with great vibes and some of the best boss fights in gaming

3. Hades

My main problem with roguelikes is that they tend to have pretty strong core gameplay, but not much motivation to engage with it (at least for me). Hades gets around this by coupling its great action combat with a compelling story and characters, all presented in that classic Supergiant style. The result is the only roguelike I actually like

4. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

I'd take a full Direct of farming Sims if they were all at least half as good as this game. The rice farming is interesting and incredibly in depth on its own, but it's coupled to a bonkers fun combat system as well. Hitting enemies into other enemies just never gets old

5. Bug Fables

As possibly the only Bug Fables fan who hasn't even played the old Paper Mario games, this game mainly gets points from me for its great turn based combat and charming characters and world. If the old Paper Mario games are this good I honestly get why people are so upset about them being gone

6. Monster Sanctuary

What do you get when you combine a monster collector and a Metroidvania? Turns out, a pretty OK Metroidvania tied to a top tier turn based combat system. Building fun team synergies is not only basically required to beat this game, but heavily incentivised throughout thanks to a pretty clever scoring system for battles

Having 2 games you really want to play at the same time is hard. It's a good problem to have, but a problem I rather wouldnt have hah

Really getting along with Octopath 2, but also started Prime today.. I shouldnt have done that because now I want to play both games and I cant choose which.

aaaaah

One of my most played games ever was Peggle for the iPod 5th gen AKA iPod Video

What a beautiful looking game. My cup of tea for sure. Straight onto the Deku Deals wishlist. It appears to have been available for Xbox long before this Switch port and has been heavily discounted, so while I don't mind paying a bit more to support the port I think I'll wait for a sale.

Pillars of the Earth on a Nintendo console?

Damn. Never thought I'd see that. Huh.

Reminds me of how some games, like Breakout, were just straight up better on the IPod scroll wheel. #bringherback
Scroll wheel is the best possible control scheme for Breakout/Arkanoid/Alleyway and Taito actually developed a plastic scroller for Nintendo DS back then:
ars_ark_jap_3.JPG

It worked perfectly on Arkanoid DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom