• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game of the year is out now

Nice to see this guy getting his own game spin-off
hand-in-the-toilet-zelda.jpg

Got those nyxi wizard gamecube joycon things. I saw quite a few complaints about mushy feeling face buttons but they feel fine to me, certainly not something I'd have thought might be a problem if I hadn't seen the complaints online. The only issue I actually have is the right stick feels a bit far away to use comfortably.

So, based on Nintendo Switch Sports datamines there's currently 6 more collections for a total of 52 in the game files. After that they will loop. Pretty much one year of support. Barring any further updates, I think I'm probably going to mostly shelve this by the end of April. It's become my second most played Switch game at 125h and after playing this almost every week for a year I'm of two minds about it.

I'm going to get the negative out of the way first.

In several ways, this game fails to live up as a sequel to Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. If I were to make a checklist of missteps, the lack of singleplayer content would be at the very top. After the Golf update I think it actually has a very respectable and on average the best selection of sports. Sadly, it's all about the online (which I love but more about that later). No CPU ladder, no extra modes from Resort, just the basic, stripped down selection of sports. I always likened the first Wii Sports to Nintendo's NES sports games but in 3D and with motion controls and it's a shame that this kind of experience is just completely absent from Switch Sports. I would have gladly paid full price for something a little more meaty in this regard and maybe one or two more disciplines.

The different aesthetic, however, sets Switch Sports even more apart from the Wii entries. There was something about the original two entries that gave them a very distinct vibe and I'm not sure my explanation can do it any justice. The simple (not simplistic) graphics and tunes coupled with the meeple-like nature of the Miis and the very tactile feel of the motion controls made for an incredible experience that can probably never be replicated again. The first Wii Sports seems almost like a relic, representative of a lost era in gaming, a sort of rock 'em sock 'em robot of the mid-aughts. With Resort they realized that they can't just do the same thing again so they set it in this weird toy-like world. It is so alien and yet so familiar so we can actuall imagine this being a place where Miis, if they were real, would hang out. It sounds silly because it is but it's also important to understand the appeal of those games.

Switch Sports on the other hand, feels like a fancy facsimile that almost entirely abandons the spirit of the originals. If I didn't know I would have never guessed that two of the directors of Sports 1 and Resort were involved. There's many things that contribute to this but mostly the limited facial customization options of the Sportsmates and the restrictive nature of Spocco Square. Even though the game is graphically more detailed, its world and its inhabitants feel artificial in ways that the originals strangely never did to me. Giving the player the option to walk around and explore this massive sports complex and feel physically present in it would have gone a long way to recapture what I felt in Resort.

And now for the positive.

Despite all of the above, I can safely say that playing online has led to the most exhilarating moments in the entire series. Golf, Chambara and Badminton have been standouts to me, though I also really like Badminton and Tennis. Soccer can be frustrating from time to time but fantastic if you have a moderately capable team. Bowling is the only one I haven't played all that much because I've been so busy with the others. For the past few weeks I've been mostly just playing Golf because of how great it feels and to improve my game. It's probably the one sport I will continue to play after the last update. I know that some people will disagree but in my book it has the best hit to miss ratio of all the entries.

The emotes, as simple as they are, add another layer to this: The vast majority of my online experiences with Switch Sports have been pleasant and respectful. Most of the time people throw in an emoticon as a greeting, a show of respect or to thank for a great play. But every now and then you get some asshole trying to taunt you and there's nothing more satisfying to see them gradually stop spamming that fucking laughing pineapple.

The cosmetics have been great in my book, striking a balance between stylish and goofy that fits the game. I mostly settled for one look several weeks ago but they are a nice extra incentive to come back to the game. More than the cosmetic unlocks I will miss the point rating after a game. Sadly, that will probably be gone as well once I've unlocked everything.

As I said at the beginning, I'm left torn about the game and it leaves a bit of a bittersweet feeling. It is so different from Wii Sports yet so similar that while I greatly appreciate what it does well, it still makes me yearn for the things we've lost in turn. In retrospect, the game that we actually got probably shouldn't have been so overt with its connections to Wii Sports but alas. If there's ever a follow up to it, I hope they manage to fully expand on what they built here.

So, based on Nintendo Switch Sports datamines there's currently 6 more collections for a total of 52 in the game files. After that they will loop. Pretty much one year of support. Barring any further updates, I think I'm probably going to mostly shelve this by the end of April. It's become my second most played Switch game at 125h and after playing this almost every week for a year I'm of two minds about it.

I'm going to get the negative out of the way first.

In several ways, this game fails to live up as a sequel to Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. If I were to make a checklist of missteps, the lack of singleplayer content would be at the very top. After the Golf update I think it actually has a very respectable and on average the best selection of sports. Sadly, it's all about the online (which I love but more about that later). No CPU ladder, no extra modes from Resort, just the basic, stripped down selection of sports. I always likened the first Wii Sports to Nintendo's NES sports games but in 3D and with motion controls and it's a shame that this kind of experience is just completely absent from Switch Sports. I would have gladly paid full price for something a little more meaty in this regard and maybe one or two more disciplines.

The different aesthetic, however, sets Switch Sports even more apart from the Wii entries. There was something about the original two entries that gave them a very distinct vibe and I'm not sure my explanation can do it any justice. The simple (not simplistic) graphics and tunes coupled with the meeple-like nature of the Miis and the very tactile feel of the motion controls made for an incredible experience that can probably never be replicated again. The first Wii Sports seems almost like a relic, representative of a lost era in gaming, a sort of rock 'em sock 'em robot of the mid-aughts. With Resort they realized that they can't just do the same thing again so they set it in this weird toy-like world. It is so alien and yet so familiar so we can actuall imagine this being a place where Miis, if they were real, would hang out. It sounds silly because it is but it's also important to understand the appeal of those games.

Switch Sports on the other hand, feels like a fancy facsimile that almost entirely abandons the spirit of the originals. If I didn't know I would have never guessed that two of the directors of Sports 1 and Resort were involved. There's many things that contribute to this but mostly the limited facial customization options of the Sportsmates and the restrictive nature of Spocco Square. Even though the game is graphically more detailed, its world and its inhabitants feel artificial in ways that the originals strangely never did to me. Giving the player the option to walk around and explore this massive sports complex and feel physically present in it would have gone a long way to recapture what I felt in Resort.

And now for the positive.

Despite all of the above, I can safely say that playing online has led to the most exhilarating moments in the entire series. Golf, Chambara and Badminton have been standouts to me, though I also really like Badminton and Tennis. Soccer can be frustrating from time to time but fantastic if you have a moderately capable team. Bowling is the only one I haven't played all that much because I've been so busy with the others. For the past few weeks I've been mostly just playing Golf because of how great it feels and to improve my game. It's probably the one sport I will continue to play after the last update. I know that some people will disagree but in my book it has the best hit to miss ratio of all the entries.

The emotes, as simple as they are, add another layer to this: The vast majority of my online experiences with Switch Sports have been pleasant and respectful. Most of the time people throw in an emoticon as a greeting, a show of respect or to thank for a great play. But every now and then you get some asshole trying to taunt you and there's nothing more satisfying to see them gradually stop spamming that fucking laughing pineapple.

The cosmetics have been great in my book, striking a balance between stylish and goofy that fits the game. I mostly settled for one look several weeks ago but they are a nice extra incentive to come back to the game. More than the cosmetic unlocks I will miss the point rating after a game. Sadly, that will probably be gone as well once I've unlocked everything.

As I said at the beginning, I'm left torn about the game and it leaves a bit of a bittersweet feeling. It is so different from Wii Sports yet so similar that while I greatly appreciate what it does well, it still makes me yearn for the things we've lost in turn. In retrospect, the game that we actually got probably shouldn't have been so overt with its connections to Wii Sports but alas. If there's ever a follow up to it, I hope they manage to fully expand on what they built here.

You have summed up a lot of my thoughts with the game. The online for this game is fantastic, but the offline content is barebones at best.

If this passes you better not write posts about Florida’s Governor or Fami is likely to face fines!

I know we wouldn’t count as a blog lol, but this is some totalitarian shit

Pizza Tower is soooooo good, guys!

I hope it gets released on Switch eventually, physically preferentially!

With this and AntonBlast, I'm well served of WL inspired titles this year!

If this passes you better not write posts about Florida’s Governor or Fami is likely to face fines!

I know we wouldn’t count as a blog lol, but this is some totalitarian shit
They're trying to speed run fascism over there.

okay, one more ad

a little over a month ago I started a small discord server for a handful of people I liked. since then it has grown into a thriving 1K+ community that is active 24/7. actually, that isn't true at all. it's still very small, and still reserved for people I generally like and my trusted council approves.

if for whatever reason you'd like to be in a small discord that's run by a lesser mammal, dm me! I'll see what I can do. if not, that's okay. I know @Plum you said you weren't up for it when I started, but the invitation still stands

So the western Smash Ultimate competitive community seems to be banning Steve from most upcoming tournaments. Steve was already arguably the best character in the game, but recently a legitimately broken tech was found with him that has led to the current situation.

Interestingly, the Japan scene is currently still keeping Steve legal, despite the world’s best Steve player being Japanese and dominating tournaments over there.

I’m mixed on this personally. Steve does indeed feel pretty over-tuned as a character and could really use a few nerfs, which I don’t see Nintendo patching at this point seeing as the dev team at Bamco has moved on. That said, Ultimate is a global game and I don’t like how this event will inevitably cause division between regional scenes.

I feel like part of the magic of Nintendo games is the way they seem to distill the essence of childhood play and memories.

Mario brings to mind playing at a playground with its obsctacle courses and level design.
Zelda, going on make believe quests with stick swords in the backyard.
Pikmin, watching ants and other bugs in the garden.
Splatoon, waterguns and hanging around skateparks with friends as a teenager.
Animal Crossing, dollhouses and pretend towns.

At least, that's how it feels for me.

Hopefully it's not the only update for NSO this month, but I still need to make some graphic updates anyhow for the OP

No idea, but we have Fusion, MK8 DLC, Capcom Presentation, Level 5 Presentation. Pretty good stuff
Everyone in the industry knows that Nintendo is planning a big TOTK blowout event later in March, so they want to get all this news out beforehand and out of its way.

At least that's what I'm manifesting into existence

Everyone in the industry knows that Nintendo is planning a big TOTK blowout event later in March, so they want to get all this news out beforehand and out of its way.

At least that's what I'm manifesting into existence
Makes sense. May should also be empty for announcements with Suicide Squad launching

I just did a peloton ride themed around Linkin Park and am almost done with Metroid Prime. Give me some more early 2000s things to keep me feeling young again!

In strange things that exist and are kinda awesome: Final Fantasy X the kabuki show
Hopefully it's not the only update for NSO this month, but I still need to make some graphic updates anyhow for the OP
We’re overdue on both N64 and genesis fronts so I’ve got my fingers crossed

It definitely feels like Nintendo is getting everything out of the way now, before the end of the month. We're probably looking at a Tears of the Kingdom blowout in a few weeks.

Call me a regular Mario Bro, because tonight I got a spontaneous lesson in how garbage disposals connect to your sink and how to clear a clogged p-trap.

6e6

Also depends on the time zone but it just occurred to me:

Happy Six Years, Switch and BOTW!

Hardly seems possible that six years ago I was about to drive to Best Buy to pick it up and discover how magical the system (and Zelda) can be.

What was everyone doing six years ago, whether you got a Switch or not? Let’s share vibes and memories!

Hardly seems possible that six years ago I was about to drive to Best Buy to pick it up and discover how magical the system (and Zelda) can be.

What was everyone doing six years ago, whether you got a Switch or not? Let’s share vibes and memories!
Oh, hey. That's right.

I drove to the Wal Mart in the absolute trash heap I lived in and picked up the last copy for the Wii U. I wasn't even that excited!

I went home, played it in bed on the Gamepad, and that was that. Humble beginnings of a GOAT.

I dropped my kid off at daycare and have to drive by a target. I saw a small line so went in and figured, what the hell. No one wanted a neon, so scooped that up (was what I wanted anyway). BOTW I decided to order on Amazon since I had some gift card money. Didn’t get to play for a day, but that was ok in the grand scheme of things.

Also happy T-minus One Year to the Switch 2 😉

as for six years ago, I was on my way to a midnight launch at GameStop. I got the BotW special edition and loved it so much I touched no other game but Zelda, which I played for a few hours every day for almost two months until MK8D came out.

My life has changed a lot in six years, but my appreciation for the Switch has only grown.

For me, I have a strangely strong memory from that weekend. You know the kind where everything seems almost crystal clear and you can remember nearly every detail?:

I had been playing BOTW pretty much all day when I finally got to exploring the lost woods. It was getting late and I kept thinking I should go to bed, but I was in the middle of trying to figure out how to get through the woods and kept trying things out, loving the puzzle-y mysterious music. Finally I realized about the torch and it just clicked, I made my way to the Deku Tree and saw the Master Sword, and I just kind of sat there for a bit in awe of this game before calling it a night. Just a magical moment that I hope can be replicated with TOTK.

I remember stalking my window with my dog waiting for Amazon to drop off my Switch. This was when I still got my Amazon packages through UPS. ( the good old days for me) It was around 7pm and I was losing hope, as the delivery routes usually stop dropping off stuff around 8pm. Finally, I see the UPS van turn on my street. So I'm about to open the door, but I noticed it's speeding up. For a second I thought I was just picturing it, but no it zoomed past my street without hesitation.

In that moment I made peace with not getting it that day, so I gathered all my crap to get ready to prep for bed. My dog was glued to that window, no matter what I did he would not move from that window. So I let him stay there, because really he was a stubborn guy. It was almost 9pm and I heard him bark ( which was unusual for him). So I rushed to the front and sure enough he let me know not one but two UPS trucks were in front of the house. The UPS truck that had my Switch was actually the driver's first day and simply got lost. (It can be a bit confusing for my route)

If my dog didn't bark, there was a good chance that my Switch would have gotten stolen if they left it out in the open. There was no real reason for him to stay up there either since I told him otherwise, but he somehow knew it was important to me. So I pretty much just set up my Switch the first day and didn't really play anything. However, it's one of my favorite memories of my old dog. We just spent the day chilling together as I waited for my new nerd toy and he came out with the clutch win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom