• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even without that rumor you would have a good % of people saying the same things still, certain groups just want the big heavy hitters all of the time. They only care about a smaller series if it's big to them.

I truly envy these people at times, because they have less things to buy lol
Thing is, I am almost certain a good portion of these people bringing up the rumor consider Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Mario spin offs significant releases and think there is absolutely nothing after Pikmin in July. I just don't see them having absolutely nothing after Pikmin.

Please don't bring that negative energy here
e05.jpg

So I've finally, after many attempts, finished Resident Evil 4. Only mere weeks away from its remake.

And damn was it good. Surprising, I know. It did drag a bit near the end, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to ruin an experience so varied and creative. I also played with the HD Project Mod installed, and whilst I'm sure some would say that it's not "right," to do it that way the first time, I'm really glad I did.

Now... I think I might play the VR version. Then play the remake when it comes out. Then maybe do an NG+ run.

Thing is, I am almost certain a good portion of these people bringing up the rumor consider Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Mario spin offs significant releases and think there is absolutely nothing after Pikmin in July. I just don't see them having absolutely nothing after Pikmin.
If you follow the original logic of the rumor, Nintendo having literally nothing is the more reasonable read. To say that Nintendo has a light lineup because they're skipping E3 is tantamount to saying their second half is basically empty.

The logic behind the rumor is dumb, though. Nintendo's lineup and their willingness to participate in E3 are historically not correlated.

How does Mario Kart 8 still look so good!?!? Like way more visually pleasing than more technically advanced Kart racers.

Yottagramme of Discord (I had to do too much Googling for the antonyms of 'quantum' and 'solace')

~~~

I want an N64 NSO update, but I have a sinking feeling we're not getting anything beyond Metroid Fusion.

What equally frustrates me is that Gameboy might get more regular releases to take over NES/SNES updates, but no doubt Pokemon TCG (like, probably one of the only games I would care to play on GBC), is probably not coming in that first batch of releases either 🙃
I’m expecting a Genesis batch this month. And wouldn’t be surprised but quite happy if we get an N64 game, as we’re due for one(tho could be harvest moon in Japan)

whoopsie daisy corrected

Ah, and there it is (again!) the Nintendo copyright mention; should update my thread once we get screenshots of the title screen on Switch and other consoles;

Need for Speed: Unbound is 50% off on Steam. $45 Canadian dollarydoos, worthwhile or still hold off?

I didn't know the double down was still around. I ate it when it first came out in 2010(?). My roommate and I had time to kill after finals so we went to the local KFC and tried it. Amazing first bite. Second bite, not so much.
That's the case with all KFC chicken tbh

I didn't know the double down was still around. I ate it when it first came out in 2010(?). My roommate and I had time to kill after finals so we went to the local KFC and tried it. Amazing first bite. Second bite, not so much.
Sort of a random thing to bring back, but how many chicken sandwich ideas can there possibly be for promotions?

Sort of a random thing to bring back, but how many chicken sandwich ideas can there possibly be for promotions?

I'm not sure. I think a ton if you think about individual countries. Which reminds me of this KFC video I watched a few weeks ago

It basically explains why KFC is such shit in the US. Basically they let franchise owners drag down the companies reputation in the US while failing to respond to better competition like Popeyes. What annoys me is that the international KFC stuff looks decent. Customers for US-based companies often get screwed because they don't even try anymore.

I'm feeling salty and want to get this vent off my chest:

If Super Mario 64 in SM3DAS was given the same kind of love and attention that Thwomp Fortress got in Super Mario Galaxy 2's Throwback Galaxy, it wouldn't have left such a sour taste in everyone's mouth when it was finally revealed. Hell I probably would have enjoyed SM64 more.

In fact as I was typing this, I bet Throwback Galaxy is why they didn't include SMG2 in the collection; Nintendo didn't want to get shown up on what they did better a decade ago.

In fact as I was typing this, I bet Throwback Galaxy is why they didn't include SMG2 in the collection; Nintendo didn't want to get shown up on what they did better a decade ago.
Not so sure about that. They remade peach’s castle in odyssey, so they didn’t care if that ruined 64’s hub world appeal. Probably just Nintendo being weird with collections as always.

Not so sure about that. They remade peach’s castle in odyssey, so they didn’t care if that ruined 64’s hub world appeal. Probably just Nintendo being weird with collections as always.
Probably, but man is it ever irritating.

Every HD remake Nintendo trots out feels hamstrung in some way. Hell, Metroid Prime Remastered is probably one of the first genuine attempts and that's probably only because it was Retro Studios at the helm.

I'm feeling salty and want to get this vent off my chest:

If Super Mario 64 in SM3DAS was given the same kind of love and attention that Thwomp Fortress got in Super Mario Galaxy 2's Throwback Galaxy, it wouldn't have left such a sour taste in everyone's mouth when it was finally revealed. Hell I probably would have enjoyed SM64 more.

Nah, it was just a really cheaply made collection that the suits wanted to get out for the anniversary and we all got hoodwinked and bamboozled (well, not me)

Nah, it was just a really cheaply made collection that the suits wanted to get out for the anniversary and we all got hoodwinked and bamboozled (well, not me)
I did, twice 🥲 Played myself like everyone else. Had a pre-order for a physical copy, ended up getting it digital and kept the physical sealed for when I could resell it and make money.

Instead I hold onto it as my penance knowing it will never become valuable

I did, twice 🥲 Played myself like everyone else. Had a pre-order for a physical copy, ended up getting it digital and kept the physical sealed for when I could resell it and make money.

Instead I hold onto it as my penance knowing it will never become valuable
hate-to-see-it-nbc-logo.gif

nearly 30k people watching the Mario movie stream that starts in 11 minutes

Probably, but man is it ever irritating.

Every HD remake Nintendo trots out feels hamstrung in some way. Hell, Metroid Prime Remastered is probably one of the first genuine attempts and that's probably only because it was Retro Studios at the helm.

Mario 64 on 3DAS was just an upressed port of the original game. Throwback Galaxy in Galaxy 2 was complete remade in the Galaxy engine. It's not even a meaningful comparison. I don't recall Nintendo ever advertising 3D All-Stars as a remake of Mario 64 or the other two games. It was a collection and advertised as such.

I quite liked 3D all stars but they should have had galaxy 2. And it only really was playable when they added inverted controls to sunshine.

"if you write the date in English

MAR10"

ackshually
that's written in American....

Mario 64 on 3DAS was just an upressed port of the original game. Throwback Galaxy in Galaxy 2 was complete remade in the Galaxy engine. It's not even a meaningful comparison. I don't recall Nintendo ever advertising 3D All-Stars as a remake of Mario 64 or the other two games. It was a collection and advertised as such.
You're right, it's just my frustration with Nintendo in never wanting to meaningfully update their older games.

I had hoped that before the announcement was leaked, if Nintendo were going to do a 3D collection, they'd do more to recreate the game from scratch and make it look like a brand new game.

It's this kind of fear I have over remaking Ocarina of Time. There's this expectation online where people want to see them go the FFVIIR route (minus multiple game entries) to recreate every asset within using modern technology, but I think at best it might get the Twilight Princess HD treatment (update some textures, no change to polygons) over the OoT3DS port. Call it a day, they gave the gamers what they asked for, pat themselves on the back and eet eez wut eet eez.

Idk, I hope this rant makes sense lol

You're right, it's just my frustration with Nintendo in never wanting to meaningfully update their older games.

I had hoped that before the announcement was leaked, if Nintendo were going to do a 3D collection, they'd do more to recreate the game from scratch and make it look like a brand new game.

It's this kind of fear I have over remaking Ocarina of Time. There's this expectation online where people want to see them go the FFVIIR route (minus multiple game entries) to recreate every asset within using modern technology, but I think at best it might get the Twilight Princess HD treatment (update some textures, no change to polygons) over the OoT3DS port. Call it a day, they gave the gamers what they asked for, pat themselves on the back and eet eez wut eet eez.

Tbh I agree with what you're saying, I feel like SM64 and OoT could both use full HD remakes.

Maybe – probably not, but maybe – the success of Metroid Prime Remastered will give them ideas to apply the same approach (not changing the gameplay outside of controls, but remaking every asset) to other games ?

That Mario Movie trailer is making me wonder if DK might be part of the next 2D Mario game. Fire DK has never appeared in the series before.

I agree with what you're saying, I feel like SM64 and OoT could both use full HD remakes.
My fear is that fan expectations and what amount of effort Nintendo is willing to expend are both so wildly disconnected from reality. Unfortunately, us more so because we'll still buy it up regardless.

I just wish a middle ground approach to dial down expectations while also seeing Nintendo be more ambitious in remaking their titles weren't such a pipe dream. It's not as though I mean to disparage these games like they weren't deserving of accolades at the time when they first released; to me it just seems Nintendo thinks there's nothing to improve so you get stuff like Super Mario 64 DS, Ocarina of Time 3DS, and Twilight Princess/Windwaker HD.

Legitimate question: was Skyward Sword HD worth coming back to? Haven't played it myself yet, but 60fps is all I can really recall from the list of improvements. Which is fantastic! It's a great feature to have! ...but it's also one that feels should be standard for a remake of a game that's over a decade old. Hence, my ire with SM64 in SM3DAS, OoT3DS, etc. etc. If they want to push boundaries with BotW and TotK where 30fps is the cap, I can live with that. But, so far Metroid Prime Remastered (which already had 60fps back in 2001), and Skyward Sword HD seem to be the only remakes that can offer that.

Super Mario Sunshine! If ever there were a game that would benefit from a ground-up remake, with sufficient development and QA time while taking advantage of modern game physics and lighting for impressive water effects; I genuinely enjoy the game and can see the flaws that need more polish, but they just threw in a widescreen hack and wiped their hands clean (minus a patch because a dummy left the dev cube tracking paths turned on for the FLUDD-less levels).

Maybe – probably not, but maybe – the success of Metroid Prime Remastered will give them ideas to apply the same approach (not changing the gameplay outside of controls, but remaking every asset) to other games ?
I would dearly love that to be the case, but I'm lead to believe this is simply a manner of Western vs. Japanese game design philosophies. I think the only thing that could change my mind is if the next F-Zero game is an HD update for GX, that they offer more than what the game originally offered (16:9 widescreen, 60 fps for single player and I'm damn near certain for four player splitscreen, not to mention the entirety of AX hidden away on the GX disc). Can Nintendo(/Sega or whoever would be involved) find ways to go above and beyond? I certainly feel they could think of ways beyond adjusted difficulty modes and online components, but that's all just my bare minimum expectations to begrudgingly buy a game I'd otherwise rate a C+ at full price in 2023.

Lumalee seems like he REALLY seen some shit. Get the feeling he's been in that dungeon for a long while.

Lol yeah. Also was wondering why a bunch of Bowser enemies were there. I guess they're traitors/deserters to Bowser in some way would be the simplest explanation/make the most sense, I just thought Bowser's armies were all super loyal to him I guess.

Anyone know if Robo Cop: Rogue City is still coming to Switch? Didn’t see Switch logo at the end of the trailer 😕
Pity if it is. I was looking forward to it.

That Mario Movie trailer is making me wonder if DK might be part of the next 2D Mario game. Fire DK has never appeared in the series before.
I feel like it might be more a case of setting up the DK movie as much as possible rather than anything specific for the games. Plus, if you've got Fire DK, you can sell Fire DK toys as well as regular DK toys. A new take on Mario and DK in a game would be pretty exciting, especially if it came from EPD Tokyo, but I'm not sure the movie indicates specific plans for the games so much as it indicates Nintendo's desire to give DK a boost in the near future.

The complete absence of games after Pikmin 4 and of any Mario game this year looks more and more conspicuous, though. Once Zelda's out Nintendo will spill the beans, I think.

Y'know, after witnessing the glory that is Fire DK in the new Mario Movie trailer, I've come to a kind of realization. DK fans usually want to separate Mario and DK into their own separate worlds (outside of spinoffs), with DK's world usually being a different and more grounded world than Mario's, but seeing the Movie's version on DK, and it's glorious take on the Kong's, I'd think I'd be totally open to Nintendo officially just saying DK and Mario share the same world full time. It could open up tons of cool new adventures for the Kong's!

Everybody* was asking for more Mario & Luigi but Nintendo come out swinging with Mario & DK

*idk like six people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom