• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

To make things more clear, there were 3 job listings.

The two first were posted at the same time (October 4th, 2019) and included:
hiring for a 2D action action game in Kyoto. (EPD10).

hiring for a 3D action game in Tokyo. (EPD8).

And the last one was on August 6th 2020 for a level designer for 2D Action Game in Tokyo. (EPD8).

Also worth noting that people like: Takayuki Ikkaku, Yusuke Amano, Shigeyuki Asuke, Ryutaro Kanno have worked on Splatoon 2 and have not worked on Splatoon 3. These 4 names worked in some capacity on previous 2D Mario games (even as Directors) so it seems like their absense in Splatoon 3 makes the new 2D Mario for 2023 a very safe bet.

"A very safe bet that they managed to make what is probably a reboot of one of their most important franchises within four years, half of which was during COVID" is silly to write.

This will take as long as it takes for them to be happy which could take a while.

Why couldn't EPD10 and EPD Tokyo be developing the same 2D Mario together.
What's the point in making different EPD groups work together on the same game? To put it simply, that isn't how the internal groups work; they might provide minor development support to one another, but they each lead development on different games and franchises. Even without the DK Vine rumour, you'd have to ask which Nintendo franchise - especially 2D - is important enough to return to internal development. Donkey Kong, moreso than Wario or Yoshi, fits the bill. And, the last time DK was handled internally, it was in Tokyo by what was then EAD Tokyo.

There are three games in the works across EPD 8 and 10:

• 2D action game (Kyoto, hiring October 2019, presumably EPD 10)
  • 3D action game (Tokyo, hiring October 2019, EPD 8)
  • 2D action game (Tokyo, hiring August 2020, EPD 8)

Important to remember that EPD 8 are based in Tokyo because of how easy it is to work with external contractors there, so the team can and does expand for full production. Similarly, EPD 8 work with 1-Up Studio, who are effectively the co-developers for 3D Super Mario, so that series has more resources than 'just' EPD 8.

It's not difficult or unreasonable to assume that, if there are two discrete projects at EPD 8 (as seems very likely), then Nintendo have staffed up the studio accordingly. That's likely one reason behind EPD 8 moving into larger offices, which also happened in 2020.

The DK rumor is extremely silly and I don't buy it at all.

Let's say that things go literally as well as possible and EPD releases 3D DK in late 2023. Then they immediately start development of the next 3D Mario and it only takes four years. This means the next 3D Mario launches late 2027.

This means that

1. Nintendo is willing to wait several years where the Switch 2 has no 3D Mario game. This is an even bigger issue when you consider that the next 3D Zelda game will likely not release until 2028 at the earliest.

2. Nintendo is willing to go nearly 7 years between releases of 3D Mario with Bowser's Fury launching January 2021 and the next game not releasing until late 2027. This is partially because there's no other studio that Nintendo would trust to make 3D Mario and because there's no plausible 3D Mario games left to port.

Could this be solved if the Mario Odyssey team was making both 3D DK and 3D Mario at the same time? Yes, but that isn't happening as we know that they're also making a 2D Mario game. The idea of any dev team of this size could make three games at the same time is extremely silly.

Nintendo is willing to put their second most acclaimed and one of their best selling franchises on ice for so long so they can... revive Donkey Kong?

I'm sure Nate and DKVine heard this from someone, but they should think on how this rumor just doesn't make any sense at all before staking their reputations on it.
Neither DK Vine nor Nate have stated what kind of perspective the new game will be in. All we know is that it exists. From the recent hirings, it is speculated to be 2D.

What's the point in making different EPD groups work together on the same game? To put it simply, that isn't how the internal groups work; they might provide minor development support to one another, but they each lead development on different games and franchises. Even without the DK Vine rumour, you'd have to ask which Nintendo franchise - especially 2D - is important enough to return to internal development. Donkey Kong, moreso than Wario or Yoshi, fits the bill. And, the last time DK was handled internally, it was in Tokyo by what was then EAD Tokyo.

There are three games in the works across EPD 8 and 10:

• 2D action game (Kyoto, hiring October 2019, presumably EPD 10)
  • 3D action game (Tokyo, hiring October 2019, EPD 8)
  • 2D action game (Tokyo, hiring August 2020, EPD 8)

Important to remember that EPD 8 are based in Tokyo because of how easy it is to work with external contractors there, so the team can and does expand for full production. Similarly, EPD 8 work with 1-Up Studio, who are effectively the co-developers for 3D Super Mario, so that series has more resources than 'just' EPD 8.

It's not difficult or unreasonable to assume that, if there are two discrete projects at EPD 8 (as seems very likely), then Nintendo have staffed up the studio accordingly. That's likely one reason behind EPD 8 moving into larger offices, which also happened in 2020.
This argument of "which franchise is important enough to return to internal development" feels weird as

1. I don't think 2D DK is inherently "more important" than Yoshi. The sales are reasonably similar.
2. I don't know if either 2D DK or Yoshi that are that super "important" as both franchises are somewhat modest sellers that Nintendo has to be hoping for a lot more out of if they brought them back to EPD.

If Nintendo EPD decided to make a 2D DK, it's probably just because some of the designers like Donkey Kong and his gameplay and have some ideas for the series more than a financially super optimal decision. And that doesn't really allow us to conclude that DK is far more likely than Yoshi or something else.

This argument of "which franchise is important enough to return to internal development" feels weird as

1. I don't think 2D DK is inherently "more important" than Yoshi. The sales are reasonably similar.
DKC hit the 9 to 10 million range with both the original and Returns. By way of comparison, the peak for Yoshi was Yoshi's Island on SNES, at 4 million sold. To put that in perspective, DKC 2 and 3, plus DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and now the Switch version of Tropical Freeze have all sold more than 4 million copies (and in some cases hit the 5 million barrier). Tropical Freeze, as a barebones port, has sold over 1 million copies more than the latest Yoshi game, for example.

Donkey Kong has demonstrably and repeatedly sold better than Yoshi, and peak popularity for DK is substantially higher than Yoshi's peak. DK's biggest problem has really been a lack of a fixed development home, and Tropical Freeze having had the bad luck to really be on the wrong platform on the wrong time on Wii U.
2. I don't know if either 2D DK or Yoshi that are that super "important" as both franchises are somewhat modest sellers that Nintendo has to be hoping for a lot more out of if they brought them back to EPD.

If Nintendo EPD decided to make a 2D DK, it's probably just because some of the designers like Donkey Kong and his gameplay and have some ideas for the series more than a financially super optimal decision. And that doesn't really allow us to conclude that DK is far more likely than Yoshi or something else.
I'd say that Donkey Kong definitely has more importance to Nintendo than Yoshi. It's the next theme park in line for them, they've made sure the Kongs are featuring in the Mario film, and it's the original foundation of their videogame business. It has a cultural capital and reach that Yoshi lacks.

But I'd also agree that yes, designer preference will have played a part in any decision to bring DK back to Japan. But there's also some evidence that Nintendo's plans for DK are in part based on the potential popularity and reach of the series, which is one reason why it's featuring as the second franchise in Nintendo's theme park business.

Uhhhhhhh

Donkey Kong is basically one of the most consistent selling platforming series of all time. Realistically when talking about consistency, the only thing that comes close is Mario.

Here's the sales of both series ranked by entry:
1. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii + 3DS) - 9.45 million (feel free to ignore combined sales)
1. Donkey Kong Country - 9.3 million
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns (just Wii) - 6.53 million
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U + Switch) - 6.14 million
3. Donkey Kong 64 - 5.27 million
4. Donkey Kong Country 2 - 5.15 million
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) - 4.12 million
5. Yoshi's Island - 4.12 million

even not counting combined platforms, it takes Yoshi its best selling game to match DK's 5th best selling game, which was a port that wasn't heavily advertised

Huh, I didn't realise the Returns figure was combined.

Anyway, I don't think we should really derail this thread too much with this particular rabbit hole - I don't think it's unreasonable to assume DK is probably the 2D project at EPD 8, but I also agree it's not wise to take things like this as concrete until something is actually confirmed.

Besides video game sales, the scale in difference between Yoshi and DK at the theme parks is a really good eye opener for the difference in importance between the two franchises. Yoshi gets the smallest, least elaborate ride in SNW built into the larger Super Mario area. DK meanwhile gets a rollercoaster and it's own land completely closed off from the main Mario area.

Having said all that, Yoshi is still an important enough IP to have gotten its own theme park ride. It's just the scale of that offering is small compared to how large and grand the Mario and DK offerings are.

My last take on Yoshi vs. DK is just that DK has received 7 AAA platformers from Nintendo's best developers whereas Yoshi has received like... one, two games from Good-Feel, some Arzest games, and Yoshi's Story.

But both IPs are still in that third/fourth tier range of sales. Obviously DK has done better, but I don't know about hugely better considering how much better its games have been.

My last take on Yoshi vs. DK is just that DK has received 7 AAA platformers from Nintendo's best developers whereas Yoshi has received like... one, two games from Good-Feel, some Arzest games, and Yoshi's Story.

But both IPs are still in that third/fourth tier range of sales. Obviously DK has done better, but I don't know about hugely better considering how much better its games have been.
What's a shame regarding Arzest/Artoon's take, is that they had SOMETHING with Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy. They should've stuck to making more super creative spin-offs, and not just "inferior copycats of Yoshi's Island". Such a shame. I hope we get a true Yoshi's Island 2 from EPD someday. Touch & Go felt like a small step towards that, but shamefully they didn't take on Yoshi's Island DS, giving that to Artoon instead. Was T&G by the Mario Advance team and then went to NSMB afterwards?

To make things more clear, there were 3 job listings.

The two first were posted at the same time (October 4th, 2019) and included:
hiring for a 2D action action game in Kyoto. (EPD10).

hiring for a 3D action game in Tokyo. (EPD8).

And the last one was on August 6th 2020 for a level designer for 2D Action Game in Tokyo. (EPD8).

Just to make sure I got this right, expectations are roughly:

2D Donkey Kong by EPD8
3D Mario by EPD8
2D Mario by EPD10

?

Why couldn't it be both Mario AND Donkey Kong? A reimagined Donkey Kong '94 in 3D would be cool, could originally have been tied in to 2021 and the 40th anniversary pre-COVID as well.

Why couldn't it be both Mario AND Donkey Kong? A reimagined Donkey Kong '94 in 3D would be cool, could originally have been tied in to 2021 and the 40th anniversary pre-COVID as well.
I doubt EPD 8 would be working on two DK projects at the same time, especially since this is their first time experimenting with the IP. Two DK games would be overkill.

Something I didn't really think of until now is that even though the 2D job posting went up in October 2019, it wasn't actually removed until June-September 2021. For comparison:
  • Breath of the Wild 2 (Level Designer) - Posted May 2018, removed November/December 2019-March 2020
  • Breath of the Wild 2 (3DCG Designer) - Posted November 2018, removed October 2019 (confirmed deadline)
  • 3D Action Game (Tokyo) - Posted October 2019, removed October 2020
  • Breath of the Wild 2 (Scenario Planner) - Posted October 2019, removed November/December 2019-March 2020
  • 2D Action Game (Tokyo) - Posted August 2020, removed June-September 2021 (same time frame as 2D Kyoto game?)
  • Splatoon 3 - Posted February 2021, removed March 2021 (confirmed deadline)
I wonder if it took Nintendo longer than expected to get extra contract level designers? I'm sure that COVID threw off most of their projected release windows. Also, we know they love to sit on games for scheduling reasons cough*metroidprimehd*cough.

Do we know what game engine Intelligent System have used for the Paper Mario series? My assumption was that it's a custom engine, but I also can't help but wonder if they've had access to EPD's engines at any point - perhaps for Color Splash and Origami King - or if it's the case they've iterated on their existing, older Paper Mario engine, or built a new one for the HD era.

Obviously, Three Houses used KT's tech, and WarioWare Get it Together is Bezel, but I'm curious about Origami King and now FE Engage, both of which are visually excellent.

Do we know what game engine Intelligent System have used for the Paper Mario series? My assumption was that it's a custom engine, but I also can't help but wonder if they've had access to EPD's engines at any point - perhaps for Color Splash and Origami King - or if it's the case they've iterated on their existing, older Paper Mario engine, or built a new one for the HD era.

Obviously, Three Houses used KT's tech, and WarioWare Get it Together is Bezel, but I'm curious about Origami King and now FE Engage, both of which are visually excellent.

Don't know about Paper Mario, but I'd assume FE Engage's engine is the Katana Engine, used by Gust for their modern titles, as to my uncultured eyes it sure has that look (and yes I know engine and art direction/texture work aren't one and the same).

The Donkey Kong game they kinda want us to forget about now.🙃

And yet they keep weirdly using this one DK render from 2005

1200px-DKDKJB2.png

EOrY5e9W4AAiHJX.jpg

deluxedonkeykong.webp

Click on DK on the Characters page on the official Mario website and this render will also appear

Paper Mario was their own technologies. that's about all we can surmise

I doubt EPD 8 would be working on two DK projects at the same time, especially since this is their first time experimenting with the IP. Two DK games would be overkill.
Sorry, I meant that this could be the DK game they are developing... after all, nobody has claimed it is a Donkey Kong COUNTRY title and it would be more EPD-esque going down this particular route...

Sorry, I meant that this could be the DK game they are developing... after all, nobody has claimed it is a Donkey Kong COUNTRY title and it would be more EPD-esque going down this particular route...

I think the part Magic-Man is correcting is that the 3D game in production at EPD Tokyo would almost certainly be 3D Mario; so by process of elimination the DK game is the 2D project.

If real it is absolutely not an arcade Donkey Kong / Mario vs Donkey Kong type of deal though; that's not the 'Donkey Kong' brand Nintendo is pushing in film and theme parks. It is a game that stars Donkey Kong; not Mario.

I hope they call it Super Donkey Kong

That's got a nice ring to it; weird they've never used it before...

DKC_SuperFamicomBox.jpg

Really hoping that 3D Mario is exclusive to Nintendo's next console. I hope that the rumored DK/Mario game we get this year is 2D.

If it is a 3D title, it would suck having to wait 5+ years for the next 3D Zelda and Mario to release exclusively on the successor.
We'll have to wait for official information, but that's exactly what worries me about a release of TotK on current hardware only. The Wii U didn't get a brand new Zelda game or 3D Mario to help its launch. I can't imagine a situation where Nintendo would make the exact same mistake again. That would be absurd.

I don't care if I wait another year for new hardware, whatever, but please, in this case, we don't end up waiting years for a Mario and a Zelda because they would have preferred to release these games at the end of a cycle rather than at the start of the next.

Along with the movie, a 2D Mario for Christmas is a sure hit. And similarly, instead of waiting 5 or 6 years for a new Zelda on the Switch 2, let them give us the remasters now. They already tried to launch the Wii U with remasters, it was a huge failure. Why would they do it again?

The release of 3D World on Switch was thought to coincide with the opening of Super Nintendo World, so I can see a new DK in 2024 with the same idea in mind. Which leaves the field open to a 2D Mario for the end of 2023.

We'll have to wait for official information, but that's exactly what worries me about a release of TotK on current hardware only. The Wii U didn't get a brand new Zelda game or 3D Mario to help its launch. I can't imagine a situation where Nintendo would make the exact same mistake again. That would be absurd.

I don't care if I wait another year for new hardware, whatever, but please, in this case, we don't end up waiting years for a Mario and a Zelda because they would have preferred to release these games at the end of a cycle rather than at the start of the next.

Along with the movie, a 2D Mario for Christmas is a sure hit. And similarly, instead of waiting 5 or 6 years for a new Zelda on the Switch 2, let them give us the remasters now. They already tried to launch the Wii U with remasters, it was a huge failure. Why would they do it again?

The release of 3D World on Switch was thought to coincide with the opening of Super Nintendo World, so I can see a new DK in 2024 with the same idea in mind. Which leaves the field open to a 2D Mario for the end of 2023.
I could see 2D Mario even in April which is still a blank spot. Previous 2D Mario projects had an extremely short turnaround between reveal and release (U Deluxe and MM2), and it would be a dream to have 2D Mario in April and Zelda in May.

For DK and 3D Mario, I have no idea when to expect them but I agree that 3D Mario should come with new hardware.

Fire Emblem Engage credits will be interesting to see. As mentioned in the DF thread, Koei isn’t listed as a co-developer in the copyright section like Three Houses. There have also been claims of Gust assisting on the graphics even before the game’s reveal, but it’s potentially looking like a primarily IS game. Getting three Switch games out in within three years is impressive, especially since it looks like WarioWare only ramped up development when Origami King was almost finished, based on the credits.

Last edited:
On the other hand, we can think that the anomaly was rather that IS does not really manage one of its flagship franchises. If they do regain control of Engage, and that remains to be confirmed, it will just be very good news because it will mean that they are now fully capable of assuming current development standards.

On the other hand, we can think that the anomaly was rather that IS does not really manage one of its flagship franchises. If they do regain control of Engage, and that remains to be confirmed, it will just be very good news because it will mean that they are now fully capable of assuming current development standards.
If I had to speculate, Heroes and Origami King were likely seen as the bigger priorities in 2016/17, which led to Koei being brought on. They had a stopgap title with SoV, so there probably wasn’t much to worry about. Even if the concept for Three Houses began in 2015, it didn’t enter full production until Early 2017.

There were also reports back in 2019 that Nintendo had cancelled a number of 3DS projects due to underwhelming sales post-Switch outside of Pokemon. I believe another FE remake was claimed as one. At the time, I didn’t really believe it, but the staff still missing since SoV (ignore Hidemi Yamaguchi) after Origami King released made me reconsider a bit. I could easily see a scenario of:

• Another FE remake gets canned in 2019
  • Toshiyuki Kusakihara returns to work with the leads of this cancelled remake on a new title
  • Koei focuses on Three Houses DLC
  • Engage begins full production in Late 2019 / Early 2020 (lines up with what Emily said about it being intended as an anniversary title)

Last edited:
Three Houses was managed by IS. THE duties were split because IS had other games to work on like Origami King. They were never not capable of modern development

Intelligent Systems achieving a near annual strike rate is pretty damn impressive. 2022 is the first time in a long time they haven't released a game; and if Advance Wars Reboot Camp had made it to market, IS would have at least supervised a 2022 release.

I think you understood perfectly what I meant. IS shouldn't need a support studio to handle the majority of the development of one of its most important projects.
actually it’s the opposite I say. It shows how efficient and smart IS is when it comes to handling one of their most important series.

From 2012 to now. There’s been 5 mainline Fire Emblem games and a expansion pass for 3 of them.

-Awakening
-Fates (with Conquest, Birthright and Revelations)
-Echoes
-Three Houses
-Engage

This is pretty remarkable handing of a series especially transitioning back to Console HD games when the first 3 were 3DS games. And the seem to always learn from their experiences. Fates development was troubled and they bounced back

I'm wondering if in the future they'll alternate between koei and in house for every fire emblem so that they can also work on a new paper mario while still keeping a 3 year gap between FE games.

actually it’s the opposite I say. It shows how efficient and smart IS is when it comes to handling one of their most important series.

From 2012 to now. There’s been 5 mainline Fire Emblem games and a expansion pass for 3 of them.

-Awakening
-Fates (with Conquest, Birthright and Revelations)
-Echoes
-Three Houses
-Engage

This is pretty remarkable handing of a series especially transitioning back to Console HD games when the first 3 were 3DS games. And the seem to always learn from their experiences. Fates development was troubled and they bounced back

Actually that was very precisely my point here. The move to HD was a big deal. I'm happy if they can manage this now without needing Koei Tecmo's help as much as before. Likewise, I hope that EPD's internal growth plans will one day allow Kyoto to run Mario Kat entirely in-house.
modern development practices and quantity of projects makes this a dumb mentality
Ask Alpha Dream if it's a dumb mentality to think it's beneficial and desirable to be able to take on HD development. If they still existed, I think their answer would be interesting and not really "dumb".

Ask Alpha Dream if it's a dumb mentality to think it's beneficial and desirable to be able to take on HD development. If they still existed, I think their answer would be interesting and not really "dumb".
I've read this like three times and I still have absolutely no idea what you're saying or how it relates to ILikeFeet's response

If I remember correctly, there isn't much staff crossover between the 3DS era Fire Emblem staff and the Paper Mario staff. In addition, I want to say only about 12 staff members at Intelligent Systems are credited on Three Houses.

If Intelligent Systems is the primary development studio for Fire Emblem Engage, it would likely mean the 3DS era Fire Emblem staff has fully adjusted to HD development.

Why shouldn’t they need a support studio?
That they need help is not my point. Zelda and Mario have help too. I would like to put the question another way: if Koei Tecmo is responding to modern development challenges and not IS, what is the viability of IS? I'm not saying that IS can't at all, that's not what I believe, I'll just be happy to find that they are if it turns out that they haven't needed Koei Tecmo so much for Engage.

I've read this like three times and I still have absolutely no idea what you're saying or how it relates to ILikeFeet's response
I'm just saying that thinking it's important to be comfortable with HD development isn't "dumb". I hope it doesn't take you 4 readings to figure this out, but it does, I apologize sincerely.

Alpha Dream was mismanaged and extremely late to the hd development party. they took on debt to keep their lights on because they didn't have enough projects. their problems have no relation to Intelligent Systems

I'm just saying that thinking it's important to be comfortable with HD development isn't "dumb". I hope it doesn't take you 4 readings to figure this out, but it does, I apologize sincerely.
what does this have to do with Intelligent Systems, whom have already put out a number of HD games, including one of the best looking Switch games?

They did not handle the last Fire Emblem all by theimselves. That's absolutely all I'm talking about, no more, no less and obviously it is not okay. I'm very sorry to have talked about it. It seems like I should not have, for reasons.

That they need help is not my point. Zelda and Mario have help too. I would like to put the question another way: if Koei Tecmo is responding to modern development challenges and not IS, what is the viability of IS? I'm not saying that IS can't at all, that's not what I believe, I'll just be happy to find that they are if it turns out that they haven't needed Koei Tecmo so much for Engage.
IS’ viability remains quite high. I imagine they used KT as an experienced HD game developer to help bridge the gap between 3DS & Switch. We’ll see if Engage is all Gust, a mix, or all IS. But, I don’t really think there are issues with IS using another studio to make their game.

They did not handle the last Fire Emblem all by theimselves. That's absolutely all I'm talking about, no more, no less and obviously it is not okay. I'm very sorry to have talked about it. It seems like I should not have, for reasons.
you still haven't explained why it's not OK. this is the norm in the industry, especially when you have multiple projects to tackle.

It's not like they couldn't have handled Fire Emblem by themselves but something had to give with their current output. IS isn't a big company (below 200 people from what we know), the fact that they can be flexible and let Koei Tecmo do most of the development work on a critically and commercially acclaimed entry isn't a weakness as you're portraying here.

Back
Top Bottom