• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's a pretty clear hint of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (remake).
2023(25th OoT anniversary). Completely overhauled graphics, 60FPS, with 4K on Dane and at 1080p on current Switch.
I wonder if they do a big remake like that they will go with the ff7 remake style (a shit ton of new content,story added)or just a graphics update. I would love for them to expand out since I have played it a million times tbh

I think the good thing about the outlook for 2022 is that we are going to finally see the output of many long in development games finally reach the light of day. It's going to cover pretty much every development team that has been MIA since 2017/2018 with the exception of the 3D Mario team. (I'll count Prime remake/remaster in Retro's favor, and Prime 4 reboot didn't seem to start until late 2018/early 2019 anyways)

Honestly? There's nothing too unbelievable about this list. 90% of it has been confirmed by Nintendo for 2022.

Pokemon Legends Arceus is not missing January.
Kirby has been rated by the ESRB. It's absolutely releasing in 2022.
Advance Wars will release in Spring 2022. Unless something catastrophic has happened at WayForward.
Splatoon 3 will be released in the summer. Nintendo's marketers believe Splatoon games should always be released during the summer.
Nintendo says BOTW2 is aiming for a release in 2022. (So we're taking Nintendo's word here.)
Nintendo always releases a casual game in the spring.
Triangle Strategy is a March release. I don't see any delays for that.
Mario + Rabbids 2 looked like it was very far along into development.

There's nothing about this list that makes me go, "Yeah, this is impossible!"

The only wild cards I see are Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime HD Remaster. But even then, Prime HD Remaster entered QA Testing recently, so how long do they want to sit on it? Especially when 2022 is literally the 20th anniversary of Metroid Prime.
I feel the skepticism can partially be explained by two things.

1) People forget Nintendo publish 20 or so games a year on Switch, a dozen or more of them at retail.
2) This list contains a lot of things that online-active, 'core' fans will find exciting (Metroid, new Zelda, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, ambitious Pokemon, Bayonetta, new Xenoblade). The last 2 years haven't had as much of that stuff, and therefore people treat it as if it can't possibly happen.

Like thinking about the lineup further...

3D Kirby --> Star Allies supported until end of 2018

Splatoon 3 --> Octo expansion in summer 2018, final splatfest in summer 2019

Bayonetta 3 --> announced late 2017

Breath of the Wild 2 --> final DLC for BotW released late 2017

Xenoblade 3--> Xenoblade 2's Torna DLC released fall 2018

Mario + Rabbids 2--> DK Expansion released summer 2018

Prime remake/remaster --> last Retro output was Funky mode in spring 2018

Even if a couple of these are delayed, it's nice to see them finally get close to release after a 4 to 5 year absence.

I need publishers to confirm whether they're porting their RPGs to Switch next year to help me plan and figure out whether or not I do want a Series S. Specifically, it would be helpful to know if Mass Effect Trilogy, the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, and Fantasian are coming to Switch and if so, when they're launching.

Thanks, respective companies responsible for distributing this information.

I 100% recommend a Series S. I got mine with 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate for under £300 total with the £1 upgrade scheme. And once I got it started up Microsoft Rewards at the same time and it literally pays for itself. I think after year 3 I'll literally be in profit from it lol

Koei Tecmo games on Switch have only got more technically impressive and polished as time has gone on. I wouldn't be too worried about a new KT Fire Emblem game, unless they really try to push the boat out.

BOTW2 was probably meant to be a 2021 title before COVID hit. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity + BOTW2 to celebrate the Zelda anniversary, with Skyward Sword HD coming in late 2020 as a stopgap.
I actually think when Nintendo announced it at E3 2019 they were hoping to deliver it as early as holiday 2020(C. Tsubasa hinted at it being a 2020 game before it was announced), but scope of the game alone would push it to 2021, and covid definitely busted it further, so we're getting it 2022.

I'm confident on it coming next year tho because they actually waited full two years after reveal to give a release year. It wasn't like BotW where they announced it at E3 2014 with a 2015 in the end(now that we think about it, how on earth did they think they could deliver a game like that in 2015 with development starting in Jan 2013 lol). So this time they waited till they were confident the game would be ready, and in being almost done(with one more year for further polish, voice recordings, add content and everything). Turns out we'll have waited longer from reveal to release with BotW2 (June 2019 - H2 2022) than BotW(June 2014- march 2017) lol. It was announced way to early imo just like MP4, Bayo 3 and SMT V. But as a strategy it works since it builds hype and confidence on the system being supported for years.

This list contains a lot of things that online-active, 'core' fans will find exciting (Metroid, new Zelda, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, ambitious Pokemon, Bayonetta, new Xenoblade). The last 2 years haven't had as much of that stuff, and therefore people treat it as if it can't possibly happen.
True. But in the last two years, the world has been battling a pandemic. It's still difficult to buy an Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5 due to supply chain issues.

In the last two years, we did get a brand new Metroid, new Animal Crossing, new Paper Mario, new Monster Hunter, new Pokémon Snap, new WarioWare. So the last two years haven't been a complete disaster. But I agree they haven't been great years either.

I am curious who's in charge of the new FE. If it's the continuation of the team behind Three Houses after it's DLC, or if instead it's a continuation of the remake direction going back to Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS.

True. But in the last two years, the world has been battling a pandemic. It's still difficult to buy an Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5 due to supply chain issues.

In the last two years, we did get a brand new Metroid, new Animal Crossing, new Paper Mario, new Monster Hunter, new Pokémon Snap. So the last two years haven't been a complete disaster. But I agree they haven't been great years either.
Oh sure, I agree completely. 2021 especially has been excellent for me thanks to Metroid Dread and great third party titles. 2020 had some stunning indie games.

There's always a lot of stuff, in terms of genre and franchise choice on Switch. 2022 looks set to be one of the strongest years for the system and that's especially exciting.

I wonder if they do a big remake like that they will go with the ff7 remake style (a shit ton of new content,story added)or just a graphics update. I would love for them to expand out since I have played it a million times tbh
I think they'll do it a faithful remake but also maybe expanding, adding side quests, maybe a new mode or a new side story, or prequel or epilogue.
I think it'll be done in the exact same way as Link's Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Demons Souls apparently, oh, and Resident Evil Remake. I don't think they'll want to mess with perfection and legacy.

I really don't quite understand the pervasive thought that BotW2 is definitely getting delayed to 2023. Sure, it's possible but as of now isn't it much, much more likely to hit the release window (as 99% of Nintendo's games do) than not?

Nintendo will never under any circumstances do a ff7 style remake for Zelda, or I'd honestly bet, any game, where they essentially upend the game and make a different one, but call it a remake.

Unlike square, they actively have some respect for what their past works did, warts and all.

The absolute most you'll get is a graphical overhaul, but even then if OOT got rereleased again I'd still bet on it being the 3DS version touched up a little

Koei Tecmo games on Switch have only got more technically impressive and polished as time has gone on. I wouldn't be too worried about a new KT Fire Emblem game, unless they really try to push the boat out.
If it's close to Age of Calamity I'll be overwhelmed.

I am curious who's in charge of the new FE. If it's the continuation of the team behind Three Houses after it's DLC, or if instead it's a continuation of the remake direction going back to Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS.

It's absolutely going to be another game lead by Koei Tecmo.

They let them make first a fire emblem warriors, then a full fire emblem game, which then went on to be the biggest success the series ever had. I don't know what could possibly lead anyone to conclude that the next step would be to yank the franchise back from them rather than do what Nintendo practically always does with these collaborations, which is continue them until there's a serious sales issue.

Nintendo will never under any circumstances do a ff7 style remake for Zelda, or I'd honestly bet, any game, where they essentially upend the game and make a different one, but call it a remake.
IIRC A Link Between Worlds was initially a remake of A Link to the Past, but got so different that they made it a sequel instead.

What I've seen of Ryza 2 and Blue Reflection 2 looked quite good but I don't know if they share tech.

There's a possibility where the team helping IS on the next FE isn't KT...
Could be Monolith for example, I don't think KT has the man power to help IS on 2 different games.

I really don't quite understand the pervasive thought that BotW2 is definitely getting delayed to 2023. Sure, it's possible but as of now isn't it much, much more likely to hit the release window (as 99% of Nintendo's games do) than not?
I'll explain, Zelda has a pattern of not releasing in the year they are announced (tp was supposed to be 2005, ss in 2010, and botw in 2015) I know this time could be different but just pointing this out, also march 2023 would be the anniversary of the botw and also the switch and I feel like they would want to launch the dane around that time and with botw2 as a launch title.

I just double checked and...all the directors and producers are almost the same on all modern FE games. The director of Echoes worked on Three Houses too. Only the director of Fates/Awakening is not on Three Houses since he worked on Fire Emblem Heroes and Smash Ultimate.

I honestly think the main FE team works on maintaining and supporting Fire Emblem Heroes and have a small team of producers and directors working with 3rd party developers in developing new mainline FE games and remakes

Last edited:

Unlike square, they actively have some respect for what their past works did, warts and all.

The absolute most you'll get is a graphical overhaul, but even then if OOT got rereleased again I'd still bet on it being the 3DS version touched up a little
Yeah you are probably right, but I would disagree with ff7 remake not respecting the franchise I thought it was a good game and remake.

There's a possibility where the team helping IS on the next FE isn't KT...
Could be Monolith for example, I don't think KT has the man power to help IS on 2 different games.
So it's going look really bad in handheld mode with a sharp filter lol.

It's most likely KT since they have so much experience and the tech to quickly make another FE game.

I just double checked and...all the directors and producers are almost the same on all modern FE games. The director of Echoes worked on Three Houses too. Only the director of Fatea/Awakening is not on Three Houses since he worked on Fire Emblem Heroes and Smash Ultimate.

I honestly think the main FE team works on maintaining and supporting Fire Emblem Heroes and have a small team of producers and directors working with 3rd party developers in developing mainline new and remake FE games.

Thanks for checking that. I wasn't sure if the Echoes leads were different from Three Houses or not.

I'll explain, Zelda has a pattern of not releasing in the year they are announced (tp was supposed to be 2005, ss in 2010, and botw in 2015) I know this time could be different but just pointing this out, also march 2023 would be the anniversary of the botw and also the switch and I feel like they would want to launch the dane around that time and with botw2 as a launch title.
The anniversary part isn't relevant. They knew the anniversary was March 2023 in June 2021 when they announced the release year for BotW2. They wouldn't intentionally announce it for a year before they actually planned it.

Zelda does have a pattern of being delayed but it is usually delayed after the original launch window given with the announcement trailer. This game had no launch window given with the announcement trailer. Of course it can still get delayed but there's currently no real reason to expect it.

just popping in to say that I’m (controversially) enjoying Pokémon Shining Pearl. The only extremely mild thing I noticed so far is that the battlefield animation double-plays when you go into the “Switch Pokémon” menu. None of that detracts from it being a good game. So far in the first three towns I feel like I’ve had to use slightly more strategy than I usually do in Pokémon. But perhaps I am an outlier and should not be counted.
Nothing's controversial about what you said, it is pretty much in line with what people playing the games are saying.

And yeah, it can be challenging at times, especially if you don't have the good set up. Level curve is well designed.

The only difference is that if we go by the exact same patterns of announce to release TP and BotW1 had, BOTW 2 would be released this month, or would be released next march.

I think everybody is forgetting TP and BotW were delayed because they were dated right the first time they were shown while BotW 2 was already announced 2 years before getting a date for the next year.

So it's going look really bad in handheld mode with a sharp filter lol.

It's most likely KT since they have so much experience and the tech to quickly make another FE game.
The next game has been in development way before Three Houses released and without COVID maybe it could have released in 2021. I agree that KT is the main candidat but I've a feeling that it could be Monolith too.. didn't they hire for a medieval game back then ?

If it's close to Age of Calamity I'll be overwhelmed.

I'm not sure if you mean in a good way or bad way.
What I've seen of Ryza 2 and Blue Reflection 2 looked quite good but I don't know if they share tech.

It's based on a fork of the same engine. Katana Engine I believe, I'm not sure if Samurai Warriors 5 uses it.

Atelier is a good example because you can see how much better they've gotten by comparing Lydie and Suelle from 2017 to Lydie and Suelle DX from this year.

Lydie and Suelle
large.jpg

Lydie and Suelle DX
NSwitchDS_AtelierLydieAndSuelleTheAlchemistsAndTheMysteriousPaintings_03.jpg

Still waiting for my Switch Sports, but I guess with Clubhouse Games adding Bowling, Mario Aces and Super Rush, Fitness Boxing I should let go.

Then at least Mario Strikkers should be next!
And a new 2D Mario with graphics like Ori or at least Rayman would be nice.

why believe everything about the dane rumors besides when it's coming out

The next game has been in development way before Three Houses released and without COVID maybe it could have released in 2021. I agree that KT is the main candidat but I've a feeling that it could be Monolith too.. didn't they hire for a medieval game back then ?
That's a valid point. Three Houses started concept production back in 2015 as a 3ds game.

We also had that rumour from Imran who said a FE remake was in development for 3ds beyond 2019 but according to his speculation, it might be cancelled or moved to the Switch.

But I doubt Monolith would work on FE, they might be too busy with Xenoblade 3.

Regarding Fire Emblem, there are number of staff from the Shadows of Valentia team that have been uncredited since:

I left off anyone who was credited in Heroes, as they may still be working on it.

Kohei Maeda was the series director from the FE3 remake on DS to Fates, when he then moved over to Heroes. Toshiyuki Kusakihara took over after that, but was one of the few members from the SoV team that moved over to work on Three Houses with Koei.

Last edited:
How long has it been since the snes online was last updated now
July 28. So we are getting close to half a year since the last release. They do say they will continue to support those services, but we will see if that’s more Jaleco style releases or stuff people actually want (to be fair, I actually like the obscure releases).

I think it's because people are paying attention to the history of delays with the series without thinking through the whole context for those games. Like you said, delays normally happen when a release window has been given with the initial reveal. Likely the game has already had some form of delay internally due to Covid, too.

It's already going to be the Zelda game with the longest development period yet. It likely has a bigger development team than any other Zelda title. Nintendo have set it for 2022. Until we hear of a delay, I think it's reasonable to expect it in 2022 itself.

The thing is: besides the "aiming for" at E3 (and we don't know if something was lost in translation there), there is no indication that BOTW2 will miss 2022. Nintendo keeps putting it in their 2022 lists on Twitter, the game has been in development for at least three years with a whole lot of assets from its predecessor. So that window is basically set. A delay shouldn't be completely out of the cards, of course, but it's clearly not the most likely outcome.

Last edited:
People are very defensive about BOTW2 because we haven't seen a lot about it despite the 2022 window when Splatoon 2 has already 2 whole trailers.

IIRC A Link Between Worlds was initially a remake of A Link to the Past, but got so different that they made it a sequel instead.

That doesn't seem to be supported by the Iwata asks about the game, at any rate. They even started it out with Toon link and basing it in spirit tracks, came up with the wall merging mechanic, and then later was told by Miyamoto/Aonuma to base it on LTTP world, but they seem pretty adamant in it that it was never planned as remake.

I was going to act like an adult this morning and be out in the shop continuing to tear my engine apart, but some other issues have come up that might require me to bail on doing the project myself and send it to a professional shop. In case that does happen, I've stopped working on it and that means the only other thing I have to occupy my time on a Saturday morning is.. video games.

It's 9:45am and my Nintendo is already turned on. I feel like a kid. 😅

Also just to get in on the conversation I totally believe BotW2 will release in 2022 only because my mental health depends on it. Not really, don't worry

not even in the US are all workers back in their offices, nor should they be at all. I’m pretty sure that applies to devs, too. I’m not sure where you are, but it’s spiking extremely bad in Michigan. I don’t trust any states to go back on their already extremely lax approaches, but the consequences are gonna get apparent, and soon.

If we’re only considering Japan, the problem is that COVID didn’t really bring Work From Home into vogue the way many workers hoped it would, so that sort of office staggering that’s been happening is kind of dependent on COVID flaring. It’s extremely low right now… but it’s not over, and we’ve seen so many places that thought they were out of the woods get slammed once they let their guards down.

since Japan still has significantly less work-from-home infrastructure, if Japan flares again, it will have a bigger effect on them than devs elsewhere. And when Nintendo is happy to delay most targets to make sure a game is at least moderately quality-controlled… COVID, for the purposes of your question, remains not over

I played Brilliant Diamond for 2 hours last night and I have to say...it was pretty fun. It's definitely not the flashiest game. But it has a quick and snappy pace to it. Battles don't drag on. Conversations with NPCs are to the point. I just had a good time with it.

I say, that's a different type of category.

Like, thanks to the leaks, we can piece together that the idea that Awakening started as some downscale remake made for the GB was true at one point in time. (Ditto how one of the possible three "Oracle" games began life as a remake of Zelda 1, and its remnants can be clearly seen in Seasons.)

But that just seems to be a normal thing as far as development goes. And in either case, none of those were overtly advertised as such, before they became what we know now.

I don't think having worked on Heroes means the "FE Team" only worked on Heroes, since most of the Heroes team also worked on SoV, which released just a couple of months later. I assume Heroes doesn't have as big of a dev team currently working on it as they did when it was initially developed anyway. Plus, even in the Switch era, many Origami King devs worked on Get It Together, so surely IS devs can handle multiple projects at once, even multiple HD projects. There's also a chance that some Origami King devs are working on the next FE, too, since TOK wrapped up around mid 2020 and WarioWare obviously didn't require as many resources.

Of course, there's also the fact that IS, like pretty much any dev these days, uses a lot of outsourcing for their major projects anyway, including both of their (non-3H) Switch projects. Meaning they didn't even develop these games fully in house, and as far as FE is concerned, they could very well have gotten the help of a non-KT outsourcing studio(s) on a game that uses IS's own engine and tech.

/cope

Regarding Fire Emblem, there are number of staff from the Shadows of Valentia team that have been uncredited since:

I left off anyone who was credited in Heroes, as they may still be working on it.

Kohei Maeda was the series director from the FE3 remake on DS to Fates, when he moved over to Heroes. Toshiyuki Kusakihara took over after that, but was one of the few members from the SoV team that moved over to work on Three Houses with Koei.

Masahiro Higuchi, Hitoshi Yamagami, oshiyuki Kusakihara, Genki Yokota and Kenta Nakanishi have all been directing and producing the modern FE games (Echoes and Three Houses as the latest)

My theory is that they are also producing and directing the next FE game along with the uncredited people that you listed:

Naohiro Yasuhara
Ryuichiro Kouguchi
Misuzu Yoshida
Tomohiro Tabata
Shiori Minari
Tomohiro Ozawa
Takafumi Teraoka
Koichiro Yamada
Toshitaka Muramatsu
Tsutomu Tei
Makoto Onogi
Hidemi Yamaguchi
Kuniyoshi Tanak

That's about 19 people in total. A similar number from Intelligent Systems that worked on Three Houses which was 17.

They might be working with KT or a different 3rd party developing the next FE game whether it's new or a remake.

I would approach all Fire Emblem rumors with caution. Because there may be multiple FE-related projects in development, simultaneously. Some projects are earlier in development than others. Some projects may have been canned. One project might be a brand new game, another might be a spinoff or remake. It's very easy for people to get wires crossed on information.

Take with a grain of salt: The FE game I specifically heard about didn't sound like a "remake" to me. But it's also possible I may have misinterpreted the information I received. I have very little details about what this game actually is.
I wonder if Fire Emblem Warriors 2 is a thing then or day I say a TMS sequel? Or perhaps multiple mainline FE games since during the 3ds era, Echoes and Three Houses were both in development/concept production.

I also wanted to say that thank you so much for sharing so much insight and information. We really appreciate you.

Fire Emblem Warriors 2 with an emphasis on the world of Three Houses was something I half expected might happen. It would make sense.

But I do think the next 'mainline' game, remake or new, is probably close to completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom