• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

If Shinya Hiratake isn't credited in the next 3D Mario, I think another collaboration with NST is likely. Hopefully next time we'll get credits with actual roles attached and not just a list in alphabetical.

It could soon get to the point where NST can lead two projects at once, if we haven't reached there already.

Last edited:
Bringing this up as the site was just updated again. Nintendo has a “developer keywords“ site where they interview various staff within the company about certain projects they’ve worked on. It’s all in Japanese and there aren’t really any huge revelations in here, but it’s still interesting.

I think some of the earlier ones have been removed, but they should be archibed here:

real
maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting, she was the Gameplay Producer at Santa Monica Studio for nearly 7 years. Also the fact she specifies "AAA developers" hopefully is a good sign of things to come. Worth noting that she should assumingly be working with John Vignocchi who funny enough also worked at Sony for a while before moving to Disney Interactive before also moving to 3rd-party relations at NoA a couple years back. Meaning I'm not sure a Sony vet's going to shower us with AAA goodies, but one can hope.

I just realized, if Nintendo were to make a Mario movie game, I just thought of the perfect dev for the job; Velan Studios.

Not only are they where the founders and apparently a big chunk of Vicarious Visions went to, but worked with Nintendo on Mario Kart Live, AND also at Vicarious gave us Bowser and DK in Skylanders Superchargers. Vicarious as most know worked on many licenses in their day, so they have a lot of experience with movie licenses, and most of their games were pretty dang good.

Just a thought.

Creatures finally updated its product page to show that it worked on Arceus, as well as SV and some Japan-only arcade game.

I honestly think they just forgot to add Arceus, as the page was still being updated throughout the year with the TCG releases.

In his latest video, Sakurai discusses how his company operates.

One of the curiosities is that he does not get paid during the development process of the game, but his earnings come from the royalties of the sales once the game is released, thus sharing the risk of the company that hires him.

One of the curiosities is that he does not get paid during the development process of the game, but his earnings come from the royalties of the sales once the game is released, thus sharing the risk of the company that hires him.

I can see where you're coming from but royalties from Smash is probably one of the most risk-free arrangements in gaming lol

Thought Sora was just him and his wife. But video sounds like it’s just him. But doesn’t really matter, just brings back some fake smash rumors where someone claimed they worked for Sora LTD and said they hated working there so they’re leaking to get back at him. Just one of those things were some weren’t aware that Sora isn’t a team of devs lol

Thought Sora was just him and his wife. But video sounds like it’s just him. But doesn’t really matter, just brings back some fake smash rumors where someone claimed they worked for Sora LTD and said they hated working there so they’re leaking to get back at him. Just one of those things were some weren’t aware that Sora isn’t a team of devs lol
ah yes, the "I was fired, so I'll leak stuff. surely they won't be able to find out who's leaking" days before people knew what an NDA was

Likely not the case, but was the person maybe referring to Project Sora?

Was about to post this.

My unrealistic hope is that Nintendo jumps in and buys MAGES. They clearly saw something in them to get them on the FDC remakes. Could help fill a niche, while also putting them on the Another Code and Hotel Dusk franchises with former CiNG folks if they can bring them onboard.

Was about to post this.

My unrealistic hope is that Nintendo jumps in and buys MAGES. They clearly saw something in them to get them on the FDC remakes. Could help fill a niche, while also putting them on the Another Code and Hotel Dusk franchises with former CiNG folks if they can bring them onboard.
I was thinking of a thread for it but its niche so. I do wonder since they are owned by Colopl (who acquired them for less than 15 million) and they have a record label part how that would breakdown. Seems messy but I hope they don't go under, I am playing the FDC and they are fantastic, the animation is great. And its a genre that has basically move to the switch.

Saw this earlier but didn’t want to post until a bigger source picked it up.

I don’t think the FDC remakes performing within expectations will be enough for Nintendo to save them. AlphaDream reportedly had less debt and they were still shut down. Apparently Mages also has a record label division which I can’t see Nintendo being interested in at all.

Last edited:
Saw this earlier but didn’t want to post until a bigger source picked it up.

I don’t think the FDC remakes doing within expectations will be enough for Nintendo to save them. AlphaDream reportedly had less debt and they were still shut down. Apparently Mages also has a record label division which I can’t see Nintendo being interested in at all.
They bought Next Level Games for 100 million dollars apparently, but that was after they had Luigi's Mansion 3 selling 10M+.
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon already had sold 6M on the 3DS and they were still independent tho.
Maybe they didn't have any debts?
I would be hopeful of Mages being bought by Ninty but as you said, Alpha Dream wasn't saved, and that with them having released multiple Mario and Luigi games...

I don't really think Nintendo is all that interested in visual novels/adventure games, at least not to the extent where they'd buy a studio for it. They didn't bother with Buddy Mission Bond (so far) and didn't even give FDC a physical release outside of Japan. If they're interested in Famicom Fairytales remakes and Mages doesn't exist anymore they'll probably just get Koei Tecmo to make them.

I don't really think Nintendo is all that interested in visual novels/adventure games, at least not to the extent where they'd buy a studio for it. They didn't bother with Buddy Mission Bond (so far) and didn't even give FDC a physical release outside of Japan. If they're interested in Famicom Fairytales remakes and Mages doesn't exist anymore they'll probably just get Koei Tecmo to make them.

Yeah, I can't see Nintendo buying them. I think Nintendo waiting for MAGES key staff to form a successor company and then commissioning MAGES 2.0 a new game / remake is a more likely scenario (and there's indeed a precedent; Artoon -> Arzest).

I don't think there is anything to buy from Mages. I believe Shikura effectively owns all the interesting IP, either as himself or as his own company. The studio specializes in a genre Nintendo doesn't really touch, and if there is any below the line talent they want, Nintendo has other Tokyo based studios that can hire them. That just leaves a pile of debt and a record label.

I am still crossing my fingers we will see it in the february direct lol. But yeah, not giving physical to FDC kinda sucked, specially when nicher games in the genre do get physicals.

Isn't Mages already owned by Colopl anyway? (Who were sued by Nintendo for violating their patents) Regardless they work on such a niche type of game I doubt Nintendo would be interested.

I don’t think Mages will be acquired (or really want that to happen, if it can be helped), but I think there’s plenty of interest in adventure games at Nintendo that is unfortunately unreciprocated at their international branches.

BOND performed well enough to their expectations for Ruby Party to already tease a sequel after all, and it has a decently sized selection of merch at the KT Store. The official Twitter is plenty active too; less than 24 hours ago they started reservations for a blu ray release of two live shows + drama CDs.

It’s a lot harder to gauge anything with Famicom Detective Club since it’s a lot closer into the Nintendo fold, but there is that Famitsu interview with Sakamoto and a Mages producer where the latter said they wanted to make a wholly new one in the future. Let’s hope that somehow comes to pass, and that Nintendo gives the property more respect outside of Japan. It does have a minor presence at Japan’s Nintendo Stores too, FDC makes up 2/5 of a set of replica Disk System cases / keychains.

Last edited:
More new articles from here, some interesting looks at Switch Sports box concepts, the CG / amiibo modelling process and the My Nintendo Store UI.

detail118_img01.jpg
detail118_img02.jpg

Top right cover proves golf was always planned, probably got cut for time.

More new articles from here, some interesting looks at Switch Sports box concepts, the CG / amiibo modelling process and the My Nintendo Store UI.

detail118_img01.jpg
detail118_img02.jpg

Top right cover proves golf was always planned, probably got cut for time.
I kinda like the bottom right corner boxart. Visually pretty

Nintendo EPD Composers
  • Koji Kondo - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
  • Kenji Yamamoto - Metroid: Samus Returns (2017) (may have composed/arranged for Dread, "Music Director" is a bit too vague and no soundtrack/sound selection has been released)
  • Minako Hamano - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014) (likely moved into a support/supervisor role)
  • Kazumi Totaka - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
  • Masaru Tajima - Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (2021)
  • Masami Yone - Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (2021) (unknown whether he composed or was just the sound director/supervisor)
  • Kenta Nagata - Mario Kart Tour (2019)
  • Hajime Wakai - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Toru Minegishi - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Shinobu Nagata - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
  • Mahito Yokota - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2014) (may have moved into a management/supervisor role)
  • Asuka Hayazaki - Ring Fit Adventure (2019)
  • Toshiyuki Sudo - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Ryo Nagamatsu - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Shiho Fujii - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Manaka Kataoka - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Shinji Ushiroda - Ring Fit Adventure (2019)
  • Megumi Inoue - Miitopia (2016) (likely moved into a supervisor role)
  • Daisuke Matsuoka - Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)
  • Atsuko Asahi - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019) (also did the two ARMS arrangements for Smash Ultimate)
  • Yasuaki Iwata - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
  • Naoto Kubo - Super Mario Odyssey (2017) (also credited in the Captain Toad 3DS/Switch ports, but I don't think those have any new music)
  • Yumi Takahashi - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Maasa Miyoshi - Ring Fit Adventure (2019)
  • Soshi Abe - Metroid Dread (2021)
  • Sayako Doi - Splatoon 3 (2022)
  • Masato Ohashi - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
  • Haruko Torii - Nintendo Switch Sports (2022)
  • Takuhiro Honda - Nintendo Switch Sports (2022)
Updated this with Splatoon 3. Sudo, Minegishi, and Nagamatsu will likely stay on for the DLC and new map music, though that doesn’t necessarily stop them from working on other games. There’s also evidence from the Ask the Developer interview that Minegishi is also involved in an EPD 7 project. Tomodachi Life maybe? The two main composers for the series left Nintendo some time ago, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Wakai, Kataoka, and Kubo are the only active composers who haven’t been credited since at least 2018. Defintely not working on Tears of the Kingdom or a new 3D Mario.

Still not sure whether Mahito Yokota will return to composing or just remain as a manager/supervisor. Maybe he’s involved with Tokyo’s 2D game?

The list still isn’t entirely accurate, as we don’t know who worked on Happy Home Paradise (I think the second OST left those themes out for some reason) and the Booster Course Pass, so take that into account.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, @MondoMega was right about the lowkey popularity of Buddy Mission Bond

I know this is a poll of only ~1600 people but still!

That list was surprising and not at the same time. I think outside of the popular IPs, I was not expecting Kingdom hearts, Jeanne and Buddy.

I was looking to see if the animated scenes (at least the opening) in Buddy were done by an anime studio because they have that sorta quality but I could find anything.

I keep seeing people speculate that EPD 8 has a 2D game in the works due to them hiring some 2D programmers. But do we know that this is the case? Couldn't they have just been hiring 2D programmers for 2D sections of 3D games (similar to the 2D sections of Mario Odyssey)? I know it is all just speculation, but some people seem to think a 2D game from EPD 8 is a certainty.

I keep seeing people speculate that EPD 8 has a 2D game in the works due to them hiring some 2D programmers. But do we know that this is the case? Couldn't they have just been hiring 2D programmers for 2D sections of 3D games (similar to the 2D sections of Mario Odyssey)? I know it is all just speculation, but some people seem to think a 2D game from EPD 8 is a certainty.
That's not the case, since they specifically mentioned it's for a "2D action game".

When Nintendo teams juggle multiple projects and staff becomes limited they usually shift focus on the project that is the furthest along first and sideline the other one until the former is out the door. If Tokyo is now really working on two major games and realised afterwards that staff is too scarce to handle both fully, I wouldn't expect them to do it any differently here.

COVID doesn't explain 6 years of development time and potentially even more. EPD Tokyo was the most consistent, steady and prolific Nintendo team until Odyssey.

If I had to reasonably guess, the game they started working on after Odyssey was not a 3D Mario game and they ran into development troubles. If it is still coming out and isn't scrapped, it almost assuredly still has to be a Switch game because no way were they developing for the Switch 2 in fall of 2017 after they shipped Odyssey.

Maybe it's coming out Holiday 2023, but I don't know anymore really. I expected their game holiday 2022 at the latest but now they are a complete wild card just like that is the case with most other Nintendo teams.

Last edited:
Doing some searching to try and piece together a better timeline for Retro's post-Tropical Freeze project(s) and I figure this is the best thread to catalog this in. Surely some of these have been posted before but oh well.

unknown.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

There's a possibility that there was a cancelled project, but also keep in mind that the Tokyo office isn't that large.

Someone here posted an image a while back of the team around the release of 3D World(?) and it was around 30-40 people at most. The Kyoto office dwarfs it significantly and usually provides assistance. 1-UP does too, but they've also been on other projects in the last few years, such as Ring Fit Adventure, New Horizons, and Bowser's Fury.

There has been evidence to suggest that EPD Tokyo have dumped their "Al" engine that has been in use since 3D Land and have moved over to LunchPack, likely to standardize things with most other internal projects.

So all of the above + working on two titles + covid is likely why their output has been the way it is.

Happy New Year!
Thank you very much for your continued support of Good Feel.
We will continue to do our best to create products for your enjoyment this year.
We look forward to your continued support of Good Feel in the New Year.

Etsunobu Hiruko, President and Representative Director

Unfortunately no clues of their new game :(

Back
Top Bottom