• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Hero of Legend

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
Combing the SV credits above, and SRD helped out on the Game Server Development. Is that a first for them on a non-EPD game?

Cucufate

Moblin
Pronouns
He/him
Once Piece games missing Nintendo will never be not weird for me, especially knowing Eiichiro Oda is big Nintendo fan.
I'm almost certain that One Piece World Seeker was going to get a late Switch port. Before and during the time of its release the game's producers, when asked about a Switch version, did the same song and dance that always happens whenever an anime-based Bamco game gets eventually ported: "The Switch wasn't a thing when we started development", "We're looking into it", "If fans show demand, it will happen", yadda, yadda, yadda. Of course, then World Seeker bombed super hard, so if the port was a thing they probably thought it wasn't worth it.

(this should lead us to question the wisdom of not launching anime-based games on Switch day 1, but that's another story)

What I'm trying to say is that unless One Piece Odyssey is a complete flop, a Switch version should eventually pop up. It being a turn-based game doesn't hurt its chances, either.

Last edited:

N75

Moblin
They know their way around Switch hardware but we still are not getting One Piece Odyssey on Switch, despite how much sense it would make. Not sure if it even will receive a late port. Once Piece games missing Nintendo will never be not weird for me, especially knowing Eiichiro Oda is big Nintendo fan.
Well in this case, ILCA was only invovled with some of the game design and modelling for the story cutscenes. Nothing really on the tech side.

I’m guessing the decision is ultimately up to Namco anyway.

MagiCarbo

Octorok
I've been wondering what's going on with Production Group No. 1 at EPD, especially since traditionally PDG No. 1 series like Kirby and Xenoblade are now under PDG No. 2 according to the Ask the Developer interviews.

Tentacle-tropes

Paratroopa
Yourself, perhaps?
giphy.gif

I’m ready for duty

Mr Doggo

I am inside your house
Retro is hiring for a Cinematic Layout Artist (contract)

DUTIES:

• Work with the narrative team to quickly create cinematic layout that best represents the style of the IP
  • Help storyboard artists and writers to create interesting, “gameplay first” cinematic moments
  • Help to maintain cinematic foundations established by the cinematic team
  • Assist in editing and tracking of cinematics
  • Work with the design team to reinforce gameplay goals through filmic moments
  • Work with various teams to ensure that the game cinematics are implemented into engine
  • Assist the animation team’s effort by communicating intent and goals for each cinematic moment
  • Help identify interesting performance moments that elevate the product
  • Polish cameras while maintaining the intended messaging and emotion of the scene
V cool.

Procheno

I exist sometimes
Pronouns
He/Him
Retro is hiring for a Cinematic Layout Artist (contract)

DUTIES:

• Work with the narrative team to quickly create cinematic layout that best represents the style of the IP
  • Help storyboard artists and writers to create interesting, “gameplay first” cinematic moments
  • Help to maintain cinematic foundations established by the cinematic team
  • Assist in editing and tracking of cinematics
  • Work with the design team to reinforce gameplay goals through filmic moments
  • Work with various teams to ensure that the game cinematics are implemented into engine
  • Assist the animation team’s effort by communicating intent and goals for each cinematic moment
  • Help identify interesting performance moments that elevate the product
  • Polish cameras while maintaining the intended messaging and emotion of the scene
V cool.
Omg Retro hasn't even started DEVELOPMENT OF MP4 YET!1!!!1

Vernal

Piranha Plant
Has anybody looked at raw numbers for SV credits? How many more/less people worked on it than SwSh?

Still, it probably doesn't give us the whole picture when work outsourced to third parties is credited just by the studio's name (or am I misremembering here?), but I'd be curious to see wheter PLA's much bigger dev count compared to previous mid-gen games "stole" staff away from SV.

Quoted by: N75

N75

Moblin
Has anybody looked at raw numbers for SV credits? How many more/less people worked on it than SwSh?

Still, it probably doesn't give us the whole picture when work outsourced to third parties is credited just by the studio's name (or am I misremembering here?), but I'd be curious to see wheter PLA's much bigger dev count compared to previous mid-gen games "stole" staff away from SV.
Ignoring localization and producers, I’m getting 685 (SV) vs 438 (SwSh). The crossover between the two is about 170, with approx. 250 of the SwSh staff not working on SV, and approx. 500 SV staff not working on SwSh. Game Freak only has 169 employees as of this year, so a lot of that extra staff came from Creatures and outsourcing.

Based on what we know about the development of SwSh, both the DLC and Arceus probably entered full production around the same time (mid/late 2019) with a mostly different team of leads, then SV started to ramp up development when the SwSh DLC was almost finished in mid-2020 (Hiroyuki Tani becoming the Planning Director for SV backs this up). There’s quite a lot of crossover between the programming teams in the last few games, too.

I mentioned it in a post above, but this is my current prediction of Game Freak‘s pipeline:

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC - In full production since Mid/Late 2022.
  • Gear Project title - Based on job openings and staff like Masao Taya and Masafumi Saito not being credited since Little Town Hero.
  • Mid-Generation Pokemon title - In pre-production since Late 2021, likely now in full production in tandem with SV DLC. Probably being helmed by some of the Arceus leads (Kazumasu Iwao, Yuichi Murase, Masayuki Onoue etc.).
  • Pokemon Generation 10 - In pre-production since Mid/Late 2022. Won’t enter full production until SV DLC is completed.

My last Pokemon game was Emerald. Then i was pissed that i couldn't transfer my pkmn to thr newer versions. Nothing has changed since.

I would gladly play Pokemon again, if there were a version that allow me to just explore the world, battle other Trainers and catch all available Pokemon.

But i guess theres F-Zero chance this will happen .

My last Pokemon game was Emerald. Then i was pissed that i couldn't transfer my pkmn to thr newer versions. Nothing has changed since.

I would gladly play Pokemon again, if there were a version that allow me to just explore the world, battle other Trainers and catch all available Pokemon.

But i guess theres F-Zero chance this will happen .
Scarlet and Violet is pretty much what you're asking for. save for the catching all the pokemon. that's an ask for any dev

Ojoloco

Developer
Wonder if such positions are easier to fill than game development positions. Cartoon studios are hurting right now, so I wonder if the promise of a more stable job working with a single studio's IP is more enticing

Top Bottom