• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The horse is no more (temporary)

How’s the hyping? I can’t wait for switch 2 reveal. I had a blast at a party and now I’m ready for next month to get here

twilight-princess.gif

While there were some design flaws in Yooka-Laylee (e.g., sparse levels, a la Banjo-Tooie), I think much of the flaws with that game can be attested simply to inexperience. As you say, The Impossible Lair was much more warmly received, partly because it was more polished. I wouldn't be opposed to Playtonic making a collect-a-thon 3D DK game given they're now more experienced... so long as it isn't like DK64*!

*(please don't have 3000+ mundane collectables hidden around sparse levels, thank you)
I'd go one farther and say a lot of Yooka-Laylee's flaws were kickstarter-based obligations; the weakest parts of that game (at least for me) were generally things that they kinda had to keep in even once they realized "hey, this isn't really coming together like we'd hoped" because they were stretch goals. Stuff like the mini games and the mine cart sections and the quiz show challenges and some of the bosses/transformations, those always felt like things they probably knew weren't quite working out or worth the dev time, but cutting them also was off the table so they had to make them happen

I think a Yooka-Laylee where Playtonic wasn't bound by content they'd already promised their backers would probably have been a generally better received/more polished product than what we ended up getting

I’d love to see a Yakuza 0 port, though I realize it has (yakuza) zero chance of being there lol
There's a batter chance of successor having EVERY SINGLE new third party game... except for Yakuza. Just Yakuza. Devs just plain don't want Yakuza to be on Switch. They're ready to make up even sillier excuses for that.

I'm curious how y'all will react if we get anything other than a partner tomorrow. Is it doom and gloom from the hardware folks or would they just the excited regardless.
It doesn't really change a lot. It just might help clarify some specifics.

There's a batter chance of successor having EVERY SINGLE new third party game... except for Yakuza. Just Yakuza. Devs just plain don't want Yakuza to be on Switch. They're ready to make up even sillier excuses for that.
FWIW I don’t buy their public “reasoning” for why Yakuza isn’t on Switch at all. A company doesn’t make big decisions about their products based on “vibes” like they claim to. The actual reason is probably “it would be too expensive or take too much time to port them so we’re just not going to do it.” Once the hardware is significantly more capable, I’m sure they’ll figure it out. There is money to be made, especially in Japan, so once the barrier is a bit lower I think there’s an honest shot.

FWIW I don’t buy their public “reasoning” for why Yakuza isn’t on Switch at all. A company doesn’t make big decisions about their products based on “vibes” like they claim to. The actual reason is probably “it would be too expensive or take too much time to port them so we’re just not going to do it.” Once the hardware is significantly more capable, I’m sure they’ll figure it out. There is money to be made, especially in Japan, so once the barrier is a bit lower I think there’s an honest shot.
Sega's "Microsoft treats us the best" comment is basically a confession that it's all about money. "others paid us money for our games, Nintendo, you have to too or you're not getting anything". But I totally understand Nintendo not wanting to give any cents for Yakuza as they didn't get what they paid for for Wii U. PS2 remasters and they didn't even localized them for west...

A company doesn’t make big decisions about their products based on “vibes” like they claim to
OK but if there was one company I'd believe does actually make big decisions based on vibes, it'd be Sega and/or a studio under Sega

(I do think with Switch 2, Sega higher-ups are gonna lean on RGG to make Nintendo ports happen like they allegedly had to do to Atlus so they'd start putting Persona on non-PS platforms)

1. Side Order looks absurdly good. Splatoon is just the coolest shit.
2. I’m thrilled that we’re leaning towards a Partner. It’s just that much more likely now that MP4 sees its first showing as a Switch 2 title, even if the Switch 1 version exists.

I know we've joked about it before, but now I'm thinking Paper Mario will show up in this. Intelligent Systems is technically a third party company and a Mario game has shown up in a Partner Showcase before. I could see it ending the show.

I know we've joked about it before, but now I'm thinking Paper Mario will show up in this. Intelligent Systems is technically a third party company and a Mario game has shown up in a Partner Showcase before. I could see it ending the show.
ehhh I feel like anything within the keiretsu wouldn't be in a partner

like kirby is absolutely not third party y'know

I think there’s a clear difference between (for example) Ubisoft and Intelligent systems.

Like why Sparks of Hope was on a partner and why I don’t think Paper Mario will be.

But we’ll see

None of you have mentioned Trauma Center.

#Pathetic
I did say let’s hope we get late system life Atlus games, but they don’t seem to be making these types of games as regularly as they used to. I would love a full fledge TC that uses all the systems features. I think it could also be cool to have a special section where you have to use multiple switches to look at radiographs and find the ailment or whatever by moving around the body. I realize this a hyper specific idea but I have a lot for this series.

I think there’s a clear difference between (for example) Ubisoft and Intelligent systems.

Like why Sparks of Hope was on a partner and why I don’t think Paper Mario will be.

But we’ll see
Oh there definitely is a difference. Does it make sense? No, not really. Weirder things have happened though.

I did say let’s hope we get late system life Atlus games, but they don’t seem to be making these types of games as regularly as they used to. I would love a full fledge TC that uses all the systems features. I think it could also be cool to have a special section where you have to use multiple switches to look at radiographs and find the ailment or whatever by moving around the body. I realize this a hyper specific idea but I have a lot for this series.
I was thinking more about HD Remasters! All of the games were awesome, and newer generations should get to experience them.

And yes, your ideas sound very specific, but they're very good!

I was thinking more about HD Remasters! All of the games were awesome, and newer generations should get to experience them.

And yes, your ideas sound very specific, but they're very good!
A package of the 4 games would be great. Though I assume second opinion would need major reworking to make it wide screen. I’m not entirely sure how that stuff all works (not to mention 2 is a DS game so would need to be moved to gyro as an option).

If it's announced, we're probably looking at a big reveal during it. The only PS that was announced ahead of time IIRC was the one with Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2.
I know at the very least the first one they did under the Partner Showcase branding was announced ahead of time! The one with SMT Nocturne HD and uh, that crappy WWE game

I clearly remember the utter confusion everyone experienced when, after a month of desperately waiting for an announcement, we finally got one for a ten minute presentation entirely coming from third parties. The darkest time.

I know at the very least the first one they did under the Partner Showcase branding was announced ahead of time! The one with SMT Nocturne HD and uh, that crappy WWE game

I clearly remember the utter confusion everyone experienced when, after a month of desperately waiting for an announcement, we finally got one for a ten minute presentation entirely coming from third parties. The darkest time.
Oh crap, you're right. Lemme have optimism!

But we’ll see
I don't think it's necessarily likely, but looking at two bullet points

• a Mario game has been shown in a partner direct (Mario Rabbids 2, by Ubisoft)
  • a "basically Nintendo" studio has had a game featured in a partner direct (HAL Labs, with Part-Time UFO)

I wouldn't say TTYD is entirely out of the question for partner direct

Will this thread close after the Partner Showcase, or we will continue since It's not a general one?
This thread either shuts down on a Partner Showcase announcement or shadowdrop.

Unless something wacky happens like it’s only ten minutes or something, I imagine people will be satisfied and one will open again a month prior to whenever we think the next one might be. But even then, we basically should all move over to Josh’s Switch 2 ST anyway as that’s next.

Here's the thing

Mario + Rabbids was developed AND published by Ubisoft

It wasn't technically a Nintendo game, also why it goes on sale quite a bit

Paper Mario however IS published by Nintendo

oh wait what the fuck lmao

I guess because it's a port of a phone game?

but yeah what even is a partner direct at that point
yeah it's a weird one that really throws a wrench into where the boundaries are

Like, the Switch version has Kirby characters (as toys, but still) and was published by Nintendo in I think all regions, so by most accounts it'd be too "part of the Nintendo keiretsu" to be eligible for a partner direct. But I guess because it was initially published by HAL for mobile, it's got enough "partner stink" on it that it just barely sneaks through the "no 1st parties" barrier that surrounds partner directs

So Grubb is saying a direct is supposed to happen Thursday but there are "concerns" cause of the xbox thing and they may move it.

He seems pretty sure it's still gonna be on Thursday though.

So Grubb is saying a direct is supposed to happen Thursday but there are "concerns" cause of the xbox thing and they may move it.

Why would Nintendo care about an Xbox podcast? They have done Directs on the same days as State of Plays before iirc.

Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner in Crime Showcase

-Yakuza 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
-GTA 5
-Thief Remastered
-Yoshi Remake
-Persona 5 Arena
-Sleeping Dogs 2
-Sneak King: GOAT Edition
-Super Mario 3D All-Stars + Galaxy 2 Edition (Available for two weeks only)
-Palworld Re-Plagiarized
-Pokemon: They Can't Keep Getting Away It White and Pokemon: They Played Us Like a Damn Fiddle Black

When the show went on in spite of the Queen's death I don't think an Xbox podcast is gonna push anything

Why would Nintendo care about an Xbox podcast? They have done Directs on the same days as State of Plays before iirc.
yeah idk lmao. He speculated that this may just be NoA being a little thrown off by it but I guess we'll see.

When the show went on in spite of the Queen's death I don't think an Xbox podcast is gonna push anything
i was wrong. I misremembered rumors. They just didn't live stream it in the UK or whatever.

I'd go one farther and say a lot of Yooka-Laylee's flaws were kickstarter-based obligations; the weakest parts of that game (at least for me) were generally things that they kinda had to keep in even once they realized "hey, this isn't really coming together like we'd hoped" because they were stretch goals. Stuff like the mini games and the mine cart sections and the quiz show challenges and some of the bosses/transformations, those always felt like things they probably knew weren't quite working out or worth the dev time, but cutting them also was off the table so they had to make them happen

I think a Yooka-Laylee where Playtonic wasn't bound by content they'd already promised their backers would probably have been a generally better received/more polished product than what we ended up getting
I really don't agree with this, a lot of YL's problems were poor execution or bad ideas mixed with not really understanding WHY things were liked or popular in the classics.

People liked the quiz show at the end of BK because it was a fun way of testing your knowledge and skill on the entire game, with plenty of options for the player to choose challenges that fit them. YL was throwing in quizzes after the first world when they weren't appropriate, quizzing you on things you just did 5 minutes ago, and did so in a very boring, linear way.

The camera in BK wasn't the modern camera people have come to expect if you go back to it, but the levels and challenges were designed around how the camera worked on N64. YL's challenges felt like they were made with no consideration for how it's camera worked, frequently making challenges harder then they were intended to.

I could go on, but I'm too tired. Even in a world where YL wasn't KS and the devs just did it all out of pocket, I'm not convinced the game would have been any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom