• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that originally scheduled Nintendo Live, but also eShop Maintenance on January 10th

Could be something, could just be a coincidence. Personally I think any Direct will be in February. The last time we had any sort of Direct in January was a Direct Mini back in 2018. However, if they do announce a January Direct, it could be a dead giveaway that Switch 2 will be coming in 2024.

Game.COM coming to NSO.
"AND IT PLAYS MORE GAMES THAN YOU IDIOTS HAVE BRAINCELLS !"

Feels like it could be about time for a Switch port of Nier Replicant.
That or Star Ocean Til the End of Time remastered. Or both. SO2 remake sold pretty well across all platforms and it's time to bring back SO3 to the light of the day. Proper remaster unlike the one on PS2 classics on PS3, widescreen and all.

But yeah, Square would wait at least a year before bringing in the sequel. Replicant + SaGa Frontier 2 should be the Square combo this Direct.

That or Star Ocean Til the End of Time remastered. Or both. SO2 remake sold pretty well across all platforms and it's time to bring back SO3 to the light of the day. Proper remaster unlike the one on PS2 classics on PS3, widescreen and all.

But yeah, Square would wait at least a year before bringing in the sequel. Replicant + SaGa Frontier 2 should be the Square combo this Direct.
I hope they don't rush a SO3 port. That game is a rough as PS2 game and in saying that from a place of love. I absolutely adore that game but it has not aged well at all. I'd love to see them put in the work to make it worth a $50+ purchase as opposed to a $20 HD port of the PS2 game.

Heck, give the game a "demake" and redo the entire thing with the same graphical style as SO2's remake.

Oh, this thread is back? I guess it's time. At this point I'm fairly convinced Nintendo will just keep up February-June-September pattern. Writing this before reading the thread though, so maybe half the insiders are 100% sure about January.
As for what I'm expecting? As afraid I am of its Russian price, I guess Switch 2 will be the main event this year. Even if it actually launches in 2025 it needs to be announced this year. That means no big releases or cross-platform stuff which is exciting for me as a lover of experimental games but unfortunate for me as a person from Russia who will need to shelve out a bunch of money for a game that might have all the charm but not live up to its price tag.

And Castlevania Symphony of the Night too !

BTW the amount of stuff that have been actually put in this port is mind blowing.

Like Derek says, it's probably the best game.com title ever... and it wasn't even released. That's both funny and sad in equal measure.

Anyway, to not derail things further and stay on topic, I hope the next Direct features proper reveals of the Shadow of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw remasters, for that healthy dose of Suda51 weirdness that we all need in our lives.

Last edited:
Also if the Shadows of the Damned remaster is coming to Switch I think that makes a safe bet for the next Direct.

Idk, I feel like Prime 4 could very well be the Switch 1's swan song as much as it could be a big launch window game for Switch 2. I mean, assuming Switch 2 will be backwards compatible, and that there would be little to no major graphical changes in a hypothetical Switch 2 SKU, Nintendo may not even see a point in releasing a Switch 2 version anyway.

This situation isn't really comparable to Zelda TP and BotW because those games were 1) from much bigger franchises and more importantly 2) were originally made for Nintendo's two biggest flops.

Also if the Shadows of the Damned remaster is coming to Switch I think that makes a safe bet for the next Direct.
They could do a dual reveal with Lollipop Chainsaw. They recently dowgraded Lollipop's re-release status from remake to remaster, I think Switch is a target platform now.

If we're super lucky, we'll get Killer is Dead too!

I hope this Fire Emblem remake looks good. Many have hyped the game up so I have higher expectations from it
FE4 is generally a pretty serious and "mature" game with lots of dark subject matter and politics throughout the story. Three Houses also took some inspiration from it. Plus, each chapter has a "home base" castle town you start at, which I'm willing to bet will be turned into fully explorable 3d environments similar to the monastery or the Somniel from Engage. I definitely think this game will appeal to you if you preferred Three Houses to Engage.

Honestly, I high-key think the FE4 remake will have waaaaay more mainstream appeal in general than Engage did lol.

FE4 is generally a pretty serious and "mature" game with lots of dark subject matter and politics throughout the story. Three Houses also took some inspiration from it. Plus, each chapter has a "home base" castle town you start at, which I'm willing to bet will be turned into fully explorable 3d environments similar to the monastery or the Somniel from Engage. I definitely think this game will appeal to you if you preferred Three Houses to Engage.

Honestly, I high-key think the FE4 remake will have waaaaay more mainstream appeal in general than Engage did lol.
I definitely prefer Three Houses to Engage.

I think there are significantly more new Switch games than you think

I think there just aren‘t enough new Switch 1 games to make a good direct, they‘ll probably reveal Switch 2 at or before the direct, which will have both Switch 1 and 2 titles. If that doesn‘t happen and Switch 2 gets revealed later there will be just some trailers dropped at youtube/twitter until the big blowout.
Prime 2+3 HD
Wind Waker +/and Twighlight Princess HD
Peach's Showtime
Luigis Mansion 2 HD
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Thousand Year Door

All feel pretty likely to see in this Direct. Although this not new, this still a lot of good stuff! Peach is obviously confirmed and i am personally so excited to see more Showtime. January 10th's eshop update do seem significant, especially since this is the 2nd Wednesday of 2024, the same day we got 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and Kirby Forgotten Land trailers. Nintendo could very well slot us a Direct instead for the likely Peach overview, to shake up their announcements schedule a little and get us ready for a switch 2 announcement later this year

Pokemon BW HD, Prime 4, Kid Icarus, Whatever EPD 7 been cooking, 3D Donkey Kong, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart 9, we know all these been stewing and could be in this direct (BW could be Legends although of course, but it's safe to assume Pokemon Company will always take the cheapest route first lol). Fire Emblem 4 Remake seems a nice fit for this direct. FZero 99 supposedly got more gifts left in Santa's bag

Obviously some these very unlikely unless this direct gives us the Switch 2 announcement, which i feel will be saved for the warmer days of Spring, if Switch 2 releases 2024. I know the Samsung guy on twitter and Nate the Hate calling an early 2024 release, but with our consistent remasters lineup until Fall 2024, there is no shot in Furukawa's butthole the release anytime before fall. In my unprofessional and unexperienced opinion

This really not too bad a direct for the final year of Switch 1, and maybe our final Switch 1 direct. Sure as hell beats our final year of Wii U 😂

They could do a dual reveal with Lollipop Chainsaw. They recently dowgraded Lollipop's re-release status from remake to remaster, I think Switch is a target platform now.

If we're super lucky, we'll get Killer is Dead too!

That's probably unlikely since Grasshopper and Suda51 have nothing to do with the Lollipop Chainsaw remaster.

This is gonna be the Direct. It has to be.
  • DQ3 Remake release date
  • DQ10 Offline international release announcement
  • Metroid Prime 4 first look
Book it.

If they showed those three games they could postpone the Switch 2 until 2025 and I wouldn't even be mad.

Ys X, Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem 4 remake, Dragon Quest 3 Remake and new Donkey Kong would be my must haves for Switch in 2024, though I'd be happy to play them on new hardware one way or another. New Prince of Persia looks pretty good and while I'm not overwhelmingly sold on Nitnendo's line up so far, I might pick up one or two things there. Early 2024 is mostly going to be me catching up on 2023 stuff and waiting on Direct and hardware rumblings.

Hades 2 is a thing I'd love to have on Switch in 2024 but I've no idea if that's due.

iirc Hades 2's 2024 release is only for early access. I'm not expecting it on consoles until the full release, and I doubt that'll be next year

Yeah, it's only launching in early access. The first game was in EA for almost 2 years so it might be 2026 before Hades II comes to consoles.

absolutely not
Why? These all been known likely ready to release, Nintendo has just been waiting for the gap in their release schedule to fill. What better gap than now? If Switch successor comes this 2024, there will be no gap past the release. And Our 2024 lineup currently a desert past March, they need to keep us fans happy! The best time to ask a man for $400+ is probably after doing that man a few favors

We had a lot of wild fun predicting the Direct date in The Legendary Speculator Challenge last thread, but this time I want to open up the guessing game to as many people as possible! The Great Direct Date Guess Event is a badge challenge with two badges up for grabs! It’s very simple to participate, either reply to this post or AT message me in a post and tell me what dates you believe the Nintendo Direct will air and the Switch 2 will be announced in Pacific Time. If you do not reply or AT message me, I will not consider it an official entry. The deadline to enter is December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time and you'll know I have accepted your prediction when I Yeah! your post. At that point I will screencap your answer and ultimately compile a chart in the OP to track participants, so make sure you’ve been added to it by January 4th. You do not have to predict both the Direct and the Switch 2 dates if you don’t want to, but there are no downsides to doing both. For The Great Direct Date Guess Event, you only need the dates to be clear (ie Wednesday January 3rd or Thursday February 4th), so you do not have to worry at all about predicting the time further otherwise.

If you believe an event would air or be announced at midnight Pacific time, for the purposes of proper guessing please put the second of the two days involved. For example, if you believe the Switch 2 will be announced at midnight between Tuesday January 2nd and Wednesday January 3rd Pacific Time, please put your guess down for January 3rd.

@Aurc is helping with creating the awesome badges for this event and we have one design ready to share right now! Winners of predicting the Direct air date will get the Direct Date Champion Badge!

Winners of predicting the Switch 2 Public Announcement Date will get the Switch 2 Date Legend Badge! (This includes a video, tweet, press release etc.) Like the Switch 2 itself, it is still being diligently worked on behind the scenes, but once the design is ready, I will share it in the thread and update this post! Thanks again Aurc for all of your help :)

So yes, please make sure to get your guesses in by December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time! Have fun Fami!
Going to pick my own guesses now for The Great Direct Date Guess Event. There’s so many possibilities here, but I’ll pick February 15th for the Direct Date and they’ll end the show teasing the Switch 2 so February 15th as well. The Direct Date I feel good about, the Switch 2 part not so much haha, but this is mostly just for fun.

Don’t forget to get your guesses in everyone, there’s still 3.5 days left roughly :)

Going to pick my own guesses now for The Great Direct Date Guess Event. There’s so many possibilities here, but I’ll pick February 15th for the Direct Date and they’ll end the show teasing the Switch 2 so February 15th as well. The Direct Date I feel good about, the Switch 2 part not so much haha, but this is mostly just for fun.

Don’t forget to get your guesses in everyone, there’s still 3.5 days left roughly :)
January 10th 2024 at 9 AM CST. Thank you for the blessed opportunity. Can not wait to claim my badge. My uncle Remy is an in house Gourmet Chef at Nintendo HQ

It may be a stretch, but I wouldn't even be surprised if they brought back the tea-time mechanic in some form to FE4 Remake, considering that not only was the Tea Time paralogue in Heroes Genealogy-centric (with some 3H thrown in of course), but also this cipher art of Lachesis fits perfectly
SleevePack35.jpg

I hope this Fire Emblem remake looks good. Many have hyped the game up so I have higher expectations from it
k1l8brW.png

Why? These all been known likely ready to release, Nintendo has just been waiting for the gap in their release schedule to fill. What better gap than now? If Switch successor comes this 2024, there will be no gap past the release. And Our 2024 lineup currently a desert past March, they need to keep us fans happy! The best time to ask a man for $400+ is probably after doing that man a few favors
they haven’t been “known likely,” they’re just some favorite stalwart guesses.

we literally do not know whether or not those things will ever come to the Switch, and I think it’s safest to assume they won’t

people have been “figuring” that those “made sense” since 2016. the perennial estimate.

now that we’ve in fact seen Metroid Prime HD, after our clearest usable indication was that they refocused development on it specifically for the achieved result…

why would we get off-the-cuff subpar iterations of 2 and 3?

to fill a space that is only empty to you because you cannot conceive of what suits it?

similarly with Wind Waker / Twilight Princess. They were on the Wii U! why not the Switch?

everyone guessing them treats them as throwaways to fill a gap. that’s not how they’re seen.

there are clear strategies at play. there’s a reason we got Skyward Sword HD and NOT those. just like there’s a reason Wii U ports fizzled out pretty quickly.

besides, if I had to guess, I’d say it’s a 2D Zelda year. and I think it’ll be a new one — I don’t think they want to ramp up towards the Zelda movie feeling “stale”.

DK and Metroid Prime 4 would make for a banger Direct as far as I'm concerned.
Donkey Kong just not happening until Switch 2. Donkey Kong has always flourished some of the greatest environments in Nintendo's platforming, the game will look most marvelous on the Switch's Upgrade

There's a reason that EPD 8 team has not spoke a word publicly yet, only ratted to DK Vine 😂Donkey Kong 3D is in our hands by end of 2025 and $470 out our pockets for Furukawa to wipe his booty with! The 3D Donkey Kong Direct may be a greater day than the day comes my child is born, it all comes in due time my brother you just got to Trust The Process #TTP

Prime 2 and 3 are much less popular games in general than Prime 1 (Combined they sold around 2.4m, Prime 1 sold 2.8m) and Prime 1 Remastered itself did just OK sales-wise (probably will barely manage 2m as a budget title).

Remakes of the caliber of Prime 1 Remastered take like two years of development and a lot of devs and I'm not sure Nintendo has interest in doing Prime 2 and 3.

Prime 1 Remastered itself may have only been greenlit because Retro needed to do pre-production on Prime 4 for three years and most of their artists and programmers needed something to do.

I think part of the fun with speculation for the next Direct is we definitely have some possibilities here for franchises that have been off the table for a while. Yoshi for example was fairly unlikely for the last few years, but it’s been a good while now since Crafted World. I think Donkey Kong is up first, but we could see a new Yoshi game in the first year of Switch 2 as it’d be a perfect cross gen candidate. Alternately, a Wooly World port would be a great pick as well for when Switch 1 still needs games as the install base for Switch 2 builds.

Donkey Kong I think will be a 2D game. As much as I want a 3D game I think the next one will be 2D.

But at some point this series needs to get back into the 3D space. It’s a big IP. Kirby and Mario have 2D and 3D games. DK should be the same.

they haven’t been “known likely,” they’re just some favorite stalwart guesses.

we literally do not know whether or not those things will ever come to the Switch, and I think it’s safest to assume they won’t

people have been “figuring” that those “made sense” since 2016. the perennial estimate.

now that we’ve in fact seen Metroid Prime HD, after our clearest usable indication was that they refocused development on it specifically for the achieved result…

why would we get off-the-cuff subpar iterations of 2 and 3?

to fill a space that is only empty to you because you cannot conceive of what suits it?

similarly with Wind Waker / Twilight Princess. They were on the Wii U! why not the Switch?

everyone guessing them treats them as throwaways to fill a gap. that’s not how they’re seen.

there are clear strategies at play. there’s a reason we got Skyward Sword HD and NOT those. just like there’s a reason Wii U ports fizzled out pretty quickly.
Prime 2+3 easy and makes the fans happy like Pikmin 2+3. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were on the Wii U! Why not the Switch? A very good question indeed. Especially as one of the easiest tide overs to fill lineup until Switch 2. Very easy work and very happy fans!

I too would love to see a 2D Zelda soon, Link's Awakening woke me up to that damn fine series, but the Mario Movie seemed the marketing strategy is announce and release Mario's heavy hitters post movie release. If 3D Zelda can by some miracle be ready after the movie, then this could be the big play, and 2D Zelda come before. But otherwise we got a pretty dry post first real Nintendo Live Action lineup for the IP in question

Of course they did already release their most beautiful Nintendo Live Action in 1993, the Original Super Mario Bros Movie. This followed Mario World in 1990, and Yoshi's island in 1995, so maybe you are on to something

Edit: Of course is possibly multiple years to Zelda movie release, but most likely multiple more years to flagship 3D Zelda release

Last edited:

To be fair, Zelda ports have typically been used as filler between new projects, so it's understandable why people (myself included) believe WW and TP would be next.

I think part of the fun with speculation for the next Direct is we definitely have some possibilities here for franchises that have been off the table for a while. Yoshi for example was fairly unlikely for the last few years, but it’s been a good while now since Crafted World. I think Donkey Kong is up first, but we could see a new Yoshi game in the first year of Switch 2 as it’d be a perfect cross gen candidate. Alternately, a Wooly World port would be a great pick as well for when Switch 1 still needs games as the install base for Switch 2 builds.

I always got the distinct impression that since the Switch successor will likely be backwards compatible, Nintendo wanted to save some ports/remasters/remakes for the Switch 2. An example would be the Zelda HD remasters, for example. Nintendo still has a LOT of classic games that they could bring to Switch and Switch 2 moving forward.

I also think game development time/resources will increase moving into the next gen just like they did for Sony and Microsoft which means less new big titles and more remasters and ports in my opinion. Nintendo has so much content to draw from that I don't seem them running out of even their best stuff. There is a LOT of GameCube, Wii and Wii U games we still haven't seen re-released and there is also the possibility of remakes such as the rumored Ocarina of Time remake, an N64 game.

Exciting stuff if you ask me because a lot of those older games I never got around to playing them so being able to do so with quality of life improvements such as higher resolutions and framerates are rather nice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom