• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we can't actually discount a mini direct in the first couple of months early next year. maybe is wishful thinking but it makes sense. a mini direct could easily serve the purpouse of reminding already announced but not exactly earth shattering games like another Code, Mario vs Dk, Princess Peach Showtime and games that still are without a date like Paper Mario remake. a Mini Direct could also be fit enough to announce a game like Fe4 remake; an exciting game but a small one, not necessarily a big AAA announcement.

this kind of event could clear the air for a proper Switch 2 presentation in march or even later.

They ended the last general Direct on a TTYD remaster, they're not throwing an FE4 remake in a mini lol. Idk why people keep suggesting this. And how is FE4R not a "big AAA announcement" anyway? FE is a bigger IP than Metroid, Pikmin, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, etc. yet nobody would ever dare suggest revealing games in those franchises in a mini, or that they're small releases.

Even if we use the excuse of it being "just" a remake, it'll still be an ambitious, from the ground up remake of a game never released outside of Japan. And unlike many other remakes in other franchises, FE remakes are counted as their own distinct entries, and have a comparable if not higher scope and budget to the original FE games released during the time. Well... okay, maybe not the ugly-ass DS games, but Echoes for sure, and I assume FE4R will be the same way.

I think there just aren‘t enough new Switch 1 games from Nintendo to make a good direct, they‘ll probably reveal Switch 2 at or before the direct, which will have both Switch 1 and 2 titles. If that doesn‘t happen and Switch 2 gets revealed later there will be just some trailers dropped at youtube/twitter until the big blowout.

Last edited:
Not sure why people think there wouldn't be enough Switch games for a Direct when literally dozens of games launch each month. Nintendo have 4 or 5 announced titles they could feature depending on the timing of a Direct, plus Side Order DLC, plus Metroid Prime 4 and any other announcements; that's about standard for a first party slate in a Direct. It's not as if Nintendo choose all the biggest third party titles, either; plenty of odd things end up in Directs because companies pay for the exposure.

If the format of the Direct is different, it'll be because Nintendo have another presentation coming or other news to share. The January 2018 Mini happened because Labo was also being announced that month. The March 2020 Mini happened because Nintendo had already done Pokemon and Animal Crossing presentations and originally had a Super Mario Direct set for April (the anniversary event was delayed to September as it happened). If a Mini happens, it's not because there's some sudden dearth of Switch games; it'll be because Nintendo are sharing other news in other ways.

Personally I think a Mini is likelier this time around simply because new hardware complicates things a little. It really does depend on when Nintendo want to lift the lid on hardware, because there's naturally a number of games where the reveal won't happen until after the hardware is public knowledge.

I think there just aren‘t enough Switch 1 games to make a direct, they‘ll probably reveal Switch 2 at or before the direct, which will have both Switch 1 and 2 titles. If that doesn‘t happen and Switch 2 gets revealed later there will be just some trailers dropped at youtube/twitter until the big blowout.

I’m not sure how you came to this conclusion. Games will be developed for it for the next year at least. They have plenty of games to go back over. They’ll have some more ports, remasters, smaller titles to announce. Maybe the direct won’t be seen as great overall, but development isn’t stopping dead just like that for Switch. Install base will keep titles coming to it.

Gonna throw my first Direct hot take into the ring. Off the cuff predictions here.

February Direct drops and reveals an absolute banger of a 2024 line up for Switch, which causes massive panic as to whether or not Nintendo even plans to move on to next gen in 2024; insiders begin discussing rumblings of a 2025 Switch 2 release.

This week is almost over. Next week is New Year’s week so I think it’ll still be quiet. The January 8th week I hope we start hearing about something

Gonna throw my first Direct hot take into the ring. Off the cuff predictions here.

February Direct drops and reveals an absolute banger of a 2024 line up for Switch, which causes massive panic as to whether or not Nintendo even plans to move on to next gen in 2024; insiders begin discussing rumblings of a 2025 Switch 2 release.
Glad this won’t be happening.

Rumored DK game for Switch 1
Prime 4 rereveal for Switch 1
Rumored FE4R reveal for Switch 1
Rumored Zelda TP/WW Remasters for Switch 1
New surprise reveal for Switch 1
NSO roadmap update
New DLC for something (Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder, etc)
Give dates to TTYD remake and LM2 remaster

Mix in 3rd party stuff and you have a fairly strong February 2024 direct for Switch.

Then you leave the following for Switch 2's blow out reveal

New 3D Mario
New Mario Kart
New Monolith RPG
New casual IP
New gamer IP
New Nintendo Musou

Mix in 3rd party stuff and you have a strong Switch 2 reveal and 6 month launch window to carry you to the first Direct of 2025 (assuming Switch 2 launches in September 2024)

Edit: Also TPC reveals Gen 5 remake for Switch 1 at Pokemon Day in February

Last edited:
Rumored DK game for Switch 1
Prime 4 rereveal for Switch 1
Rumored FE4R reveal for Switch 1
Rumored Zelda TP/WW Remasters for Switch 1
New surprise reveal for Switch 1
NSO roadmap update
New DLC for something (Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder, etc)
Give dates to TTYD remake and LM2 remaster

Mix in 3rd party stuff and you have a fairly strong February 2024 direct for Switch.

Then you leave the following for Switch 2's blow out reveal

New 3D Mario
New Mario Kart
New Monolith RPG
New casual IP
New gamer IP
New Nintendo Musou

Mix in 3rd party stuff and you have a strong Switch 2 reveal and 6 month launch window to carry you to the first Direct of 2025 (assuming Switch 2 launches in September 2024)

DK and Metroid feel more like they’d be revealed for Switch 2 at this point even if they come to Switch. I just feel like they’d have been revealed in September if they were primarily Switch games. I dunno, maybe a teaser for Metroid with a ‘late 2024’ label or something before the gameplay reveal with Switch 2?

You’ve also got to imagine they’ll also be another Direct after the Switch 2 software showcase in perhaps, June. They’ll have a ton of stuff to show and it won’t wait until 2025. A September Direct with the launch following after is what I see.

While a Mini Direct isn't out of the question, I feel if it happens it will be because Nintendo saw it more fitting for whatever reason, not because of a lack of content to fill in the presentation. Even if we don't know the exact details, Nintendo is undoubtedly still working on some primarily Switch 1 games. Likewise, third parties haven't dropped the system yet, and new games and ports will still be announced.
DK and Metroid feel more like they’d be revealed for Switch 2 at this point even if they come to Switch.
For DK, sure, since officially it doesn't even exist, but Prime 4 has already been announced for Switch, so I can't imagine Nintendo would sideline the system. The same way that, before it released, Breath of the Wild was presented as a Wii U title that was also coming to NX/Switch and not the other way around, I expect Prime 4 to be showcased as a Switch title that is also available on Switch 2.

While a Mini Direct isn't out of the question, I feel if it happens it will be because Nintendo saw it more fitting for whatever reason, not because of a lack of content to fill in the presentation. Even if we don't know the exact details, Nintendo is undoubtedly still working on some primarily Switch 1 games. Likewise, third parties haven't dropped the system yet, and new games and ports will still be announced.

For DK, sure, since officially it doesn't even exist, but Prime 4 has already been announced for Switch, so I can't imagine Nintendo would sideline the system. The same way that, before it released, Breath of the Wild was presented as a Wii U title that was also coming to NX/Switch and not the other way around, I expect Prime 4 to be showcased as a Switch title that is also available on Switch 2.

If you were Nintendo you might want to reveal Metroid for Switch 2 so it looks amazing. There would still be a Switch 1 version.

They ended the last general Direct on a TTYD remaster, they're not throwing an FE4 remake in a mini lol. Idk why people keep suggesting this. And how is FE4R not a "big AAA announcement" anyway?
Launching new hardware next year would mean Nintendo might have to operate differently than they would in a 'normal' year. If they wanted to, for example, announce the remaining Switch 1 lineup in a mini to make space for the General Directs being all switch 2; I don't think they'd be deterred from doing that based on a specific title being 'too worthy' for a mini. The usual 'thats general tier' logic might not apply in 2024.

Please note though I said might, not definitely won't.

If you were Nintendo you might want to reveal Metroid for Switch 2 so it looks amazing. There would still be a Switch 1 version.
Actually, no. I may be comically wrong, but if I were Nintendo I would rather focus on showcasing the game in the platform it was originally announced for. Because more than a few people bought the system because of it, and shifting the focus to the brand new platform may give those people the impression that they were duped and are getting a lesser product.

Also, barring a complete disaster, Prime 4 will look amazing no matter the platform. Because it's Retro working (as far as we know) unimpeded on a project they wanted to carry out.

Prime 4 will look on Switch 2 as it does on Switch 1, as it's a Switch 1 game. Anyone who think Prime 4 is going to have a massive graphics bump for Switch 2 is lying to themselves.

I have more faith we get an announcement next year of Illumination making a Donkey Kong Country movie than there being a new game released. (Other than something basic like a Returns remaster)

The last Direct had two previously revealed Sega titles (Persona 5 Tactica and Sonic Superstars) so some of the recently revealed revival titles gonna be in the next Direct.

I say Shinobi and Crazy Taxi on this one, Streets of Rage in June and Jet Set Radio and Golden Axe are the successor only games.

It just had its last solid holiday to itself
8anyb4.jpg

Actually, no. I may be comically wrong, but if I were Nintendo I would rather focus on showcasing the game in the platform it was originally announced for. Because more than a few people bought the system because of it, and shifting the focus to the brand new platform may give those people the impression that they were duped and are getting a lesser product.

Also, barring a complete disaster, Prime 4 will look amazing no matter the platform. Because it's Retro working (as far as we know) unimpeded on a project they wanted to carry out.

A game like Metroid mostly appeals to the hardcore and it’s the hardcore that will want the best version possible.

Separately, wasn’t the first gameplay demo for Twilight Princess on Wii?

I know the BotW demo was for Wii U but this was because they hadn’t revealed the Switch yet since its launch had been pushed from late 2016 to early 2017, so they didn’t really have a choice.

I guess we don’t have long to find out. I’m reasonably confident the first gameplay demo for Prime 4 will be for Switch 2.

Prime 4 will look on Switch 2 as it does on Switch 1, as it's a Switch 1 game. Anyone who think Prime 4 is going to have a massive graphics bump for Switch 2 is lying to themselves.
Exactly. They announced it for Switch 1 and it’s been developed for Switch 1. However it will still look amazing if the Prime 1 remaster this year is anything to go by.

Not calling out you two specifically, but I fully expect this to be one of the major sources of tension in this thread.

We've all got different assumptions about what switch 2 actually IS, and how backwards compatibility will work, and what cross gen will be. Will Switch 2 games be totally separate ecosystem from Switch 1? Will Switch 2 run games from Switch 1 in a prettier boost mode? Or will there be games where you have to choose which cartridge to buy, the switch 1 or switch 2 editions being totally separate purchases? Will it be that but with an upgrade path? Will Switch 2 run switch one games like a 3DS running DS games, just backwards compatibility with no improvement?

What each of us thinks the answers to these questions are will MASSIVELY affect our speculation about Nintendo's marketing plans. And for a while, until the system is revealed, we're all going to be talking at cross purposes. In a normal January, we just disagree about what games we'll see when, but this January we're going to disagree about that because we're all operating from fundamentally different views of what Nintendo's future will look like. Could get interesting.

It’s not about looking amazing on Switch 2 for Metroid Prime 4. This gets the lead take. It’s about tying the game to Switch 2. The game will come to Switch 2. BotW came to Wii U then when Switch was announced it focused on Switch even though they looked the same.

Metroid Prime fans won’t feel slighted or duped. They’re getting the same game on Switch 1. You (Nintendo) want the discussion of the game to be it’s coming to Switch 2. Press releases, articles will say it’s coming to Switch 1. Those who want it for Switch 1 will know it’s coming there. When they talk about it to the public at events, directs, etc it should be on next gen hardware (even if it looks the same as Switch 1).

Last edited:

Yeah, there are dozens of us.

i mean, the last year was not full of banger anouncements for me, and heavily relied on remakes and mario spin offs.

If thats what gets you riled up, more power to you.
But if what we have to expect is DLC for games that never interested me, Remakes Ports and spinoffs ... yeah, i could see people being hyped while myself being bored to death.

I really can’t wait to see Prime 4. Remastered is arguably the best looking game on Switch. It’s refreshing to get something like this from Nintendo and Retro. And it’s like how amazing will Prime 4 look? It’ll only be the best looking Switch game!

A game like Metroid mostly appeals to the hardcore and it’s the hardcore that will want the best version possible.

Separately, wasn’t the first gameplay demo for Twilight Princess on Wii?

I know the BotW demo was for Wii U but this was because they hadn’t revealed the Switch yet since its launch had been pushed from late 2016 to early 2017, so they didn’t really have a choice.

I guess we don’t have long to find out. I’m reasonably confident the first gameplay demo for Prime 4 will be for Switch 2.
Honestly, good points. Like, I'm not opposed to them holding the Prime 4 reveal (re-reveal) for Switch 2 or think it would be a wrong move, I just believe they will do it the other way because... I dunno, because it's what I would do.

I could see the first direct of the year being a mini focused on already announced titles. Then, it ends with a tease for Metroid prime 4. The next direct will be the console announcement with prime 4 being unveiled as a cross generational launch title

I need to know from folks who think we’re getting general Nintendo Direct. What will be the game they end on then? Because we get new game announcements from Nintendo. Is it Metroid Prime 4 first reveal? A new DK game?
The next Fire Emblem. Prime 4 and DK are saved for June console reveal, both releasing in the Fall with the new console.

September Direct shows new 3D Mario and new 2D Zelda for 2024.

So we know that Nintendo Live in January was supposed to have a demo for Princess Peach Showtime. With that I do think that either they will have a bunch of trailers posted throughout January or there will be a smaller Direct/Direct Mini in January. So in either case, Switch 2 shenanigans should be coming afterwards.

There probably will be more announcements for remakes/remasters and other smaller games but I do think there has to be Switch successor news no later than early March.

Nintendo Switch has games.
…for 2024 xD

In all seriousness, Nintendo can still surprise us, and so can 3rd parties as well. They have material for a General Direct and games for a “one last thing”

So we know that Nintendo Live in January was supposed to have a demo for Princess Peach Showtime. With that I do think that either they will have a bunch of trailers posted throughout January or there will be a smaller Direct/Direct Mini in January. So in either case, Switch 2 shenanigans should be coming afterwards.

There probably will be more announcements for remakes/remasters and other smaller games but I do think there has to be Switch successor news no later than early March.

Not only that originally scheduled Nintendo Live, but also eShop Maintenance on January 10th

Could be something, could just be a coincidence. Personally I think any Direct will be in February. The last time we had any sort of Direct in January was a Direct Mini back in 2018. However, if they do announce a January Direct, it could be a dead giveaway that Switch 2 will be coming in 2024.

Not only that originally scheduled Nintendo Live, but also eShop Maintenance on January 10th

Could be something, could just be a coincidence. Personally I think any Direct will be in February. The last time we had any sort of Direct in January was a Direct Mini back in 2018. However, if they do announce a January Direct, it could be a dead giveaway that Switch 2 will be coming in 2024.

Oh yeah I don't deny that a standard Direct for February would also be as likely. Maybe it is even a little more realistic. However, I do feel like something in January should be happening. Whatever it is, I doubt any proper Switch 2 news would be on that month. Seems unwise to announce new hardware and then have a presentation focusing on your current hardware.

Whatever happens in January and/or February, Switch 2 news should follow sooner rather than later

Oh yeah I don't deny that a standard Direct for February would also be as likely. Maybe it is even a little more realistic. However, I do feel like something in January should be happening. Whatever it is, I doubt any proper Switch 2 news would be on that month. Seems unwise to announce new hardware and then have a presentation focusing on your current hardware.

Whatever happens in January and/or February, Switch 2 news should follow sooner rather than later
One possibility is that Switch gets revealed before the direct and the direct focuses both on Switch and Switch 2 games.

One possibility is that Switch gets revealed before the direct and the direct focuses both on Switch and Switch 2 games.
There is always a chance but my gut tells me that would be less likely overall. If a direct/presentation happens after a Switch 2 announcement, I feel like Nintendo would want to focus on the hardware and what Switch 2 specifically has to offer in terms of features and games. I don't think they'd want to confuse people on what the new hardware is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom