• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
the meltdowns over presumed next gen exclusives being playable on current gen as well seem so hilarious in retrospective.
We're going to get so, so many "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!!??" memes in the near future every time a Nintendo game gets announced both for Switch 1 and Switch 2... I feel tired just thinking about it.

I mean, a lot of Switch 1 games would look a lot better with TAA, high res textures, and less pop-in which I think is the hope for most cross-gen Switch games.

But Prime 4 looking much worse on Switch 2 than an EPD exclusive Switch 2 title would be expected as well.

Maybe this would suit First Party Superstars better, but the vibe in there is very serious(which is good, I'm not complaining), and this is pretty out there, but per @tee, GBA and N64 have been pushed up to the top of the "Featured" list on the Nintendo eShop. They haven't done this in a while, but usually, back when they did it before, it led to the apps that got pushed getting new games announced for them within the next week or so. Early January NSO drop for GBA and NSO?

I feel this thread is becoming too much about Switch 2 while there are two other successor speculation thread, so I'll try to return to topic:

How are we feeling about an Ace Attorney 7 reveal at the next Direct? Or should I say... Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney! It's gonna be 7 years since the last AA game released next year, so I think it's time.

People here are going to be upset at how much Switch 1 "playable on Switch 2" Nintendo announces within the next year.
I feel like I'm fairly alone in this opinion, but I don't care for hardware. I just want to play as many games as possible. So I'd be happy to not have to buy new hardware for the first couple of years after the new console's launch.

Metroid: Samus Returns had to endure people asking "why isn't this on Switch?"

Metroid Prime 4 will have to endure people asking "why isn't this on Switch 2?"

Samus just can't win.

I mean, Samus Returns sold like 1/4 of what Metroid Dread did so probably the first group had a point, lol.

If Prime 4 launches six months after the Switch 2 without visual enhancements for the Switch 2 version, that will probably hurt its reputation and sales a huge amount, yes.

I feel this thread is becoming too much about Switch 2 while there are two other successor speculation thread, so I'll try to return to topic:

How are we feeling about an Ace Attorney 7 reveal at the next Direct? Or should I say... Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney! It's gonna be 7 years since the last AA game released next year, so I think it's time.
It would certainly be nice to see another brand new Capcom game on Switch, that's for sure. And an AA7 reveal during the next Direct could certainly work; remind people about the Apollo Justice Trilogy and then segway into the new announcement.

Maybe this would suit First Party Superstars better, but the vibe in there is very serious(which is good, I'm not complaining), and this is pretty out there, but per @tee, GBA and N64 have been pushed up to the top of the "Featured" list on the Nintendo eShop. They haven't done this in a while, but usually, back when they did it before, it led to the apps that got pushed getting new games announced for them within the next week or so. Early January NSO drop for GBA and NSO?
GBA is probably getting the next couple of NSO expansion pack updates since we still have two games on the roadmap.

I think people are over hyping themselves for Prime 4 even if it is cross gen. Prime 4 will be a Switch 1 game at its heart, much in the way BotW was a WiiU game at its heart. This isn't to say Prime 4 won't run better with either a native port or via some switch 2 enhancement patch, but I get the vibe some people here want Prime 4 to be the Switch 2's graphics showcase, and they're gonna get burned.

I can't believe how terrible Octopath Traveler 2, God of War Ragnarok, or Elden Ring were since they were on PS4 AND PS5. OT2 was even on Switch, completely unplayable!!!!
Oh yeah, I totally agree that the desire for Prime 4 to be some kind of visually impressive launch showcase game is a big part of the speculation surrounding this game. That said, I also think an equally big desire for this game is for it to blow up in sales (e.g. people suggesting insane 10m+ sales predictions) and not be quote-unquote "wasted" on Switch 1. So that leads to people overhyping the game, in addition to even some occasional copium about how a game announced six and a half years ago as a Switch exclusive is suddenly gonna be a Switch 2 exclusive instead.

Speaking of Capcom and the Switch, what happened to that Resident Evil game that was supposedly being developed with the Switch as lead platform? Did we ever find anything about it other than the initial rumours?

Speaking of Capcom and the Switch, what happened to that Resident Evil game that was supposedly being developed with the Switch as lead platform? Did we ever find anything about it other than the initial rumours?

Probably cancelled like most games on the release schedule.

They probably realized that they were releasing too many Resident Evil games and needed to cancel most of them to avoid franchise fatigue.

One Resident Evil game every two years (with DLC and multiplayer often added post-launch) is already a ton of games.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess Late Jan for next direct, with a btw we makin a new console drop

and in the Summer, a reveal and launch titles.

Probably cancelled like most games on the release schedule.

They probably realized that they were releasing too many Resident Evil games and needed to cancel most of them to avoid franchise fatigue.
Bugger. Yeah, unfortunately that sounds about right. Pity, though; Monster Hunter Rise showed what Capcom can achieve on the Switch with a decent budget and I was looking forward to them giving RE the same treatment.

Nate said no such title ever existed. As of now, Capcom has never done any Switch development since 2021's Monster Hunter Stories 2, it kinda sounds to me that the mid budget gaming is no longer their thing. I'm eagerly awaiting them to prove me false and release AA7 next year.

#TeamJanuary4lyfe

I pray this Direct thread will be filled of speculation on contents more than when it'll actually air.

I'm looking forward to more Gamecube ports, remasters and re-releases. For too long that library has languished and it's been overdue for a spotlight of refreshed games ever since Wii U that should have had GC VC. Not just the likes of Paper Mario TTYD and Luigi's Mansion, but I want to see the weird game like Custom Robo or Chibi Robo also get their time to shine. If GC NSO won't happen, then I sincerely hope more games beyond the Mario/Zelda/Metroid staples will get new life. StarFox Adventures/Assault should get their chance to shine once more. Kirby Air Ride shouldn't be locked to the console forever. And yes, F-Zero GX should get an HD remaster too.

You know what I really want though? That Nintendo is sure to never change? Direct announcements that are at least a week ahead of their scheduled airdate. I will forever loathe and despise how it's only a day or two at most, and it's why the E3 Direct Dream is dead. Never again will we get a full month's notice for a specific set date, and that makes me sad.

Casually throwing out Wed Jan 24th as my choice for Direct air date.

Although if we're following doctor's appointment theory, I'd say there's a damn good chance we get an announcement tweet Mon Feb 12th for the Direct on Wednesday the 14th
As someone who just replayed a whole bunch of GameCube games, that library is criminally undertapped so far for remakes, remasters, and rereleases. Every game I replayed I kept asking myself why hasn’t this game been rereleased in 20 some years (except Tales of Symphonia which is why has every rerelease been so crummy and inferior lol). Would love to see Rogue Squadron, F-Zero GX, Mario Golf, and Kirby’s Air Ride return especially.

Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney!
She deserves her time on the spotlight, but for marketing sake, I presume Phoenix will be the main brand, but it'll be her full game.

hopefully they FIIIIINALLYYY address that pending plot point about Apollo and his sister

Nate said no such title ever existed. As of now, Capcom has never done any Switch development since 2021's Monster Hunter Stories 2, it kinda sounds to me that the mid budget gaming is no longer their thing. I'm eagerly awaiting them to prove me false and release AA7 next year.
Is it possible that Capcom was pretty early with getting Switch 2 dev kits and they see more value in moving dev efforts directly to the next Nintendo platform? Rise was extremely successful on Switch alone, I doubt they're just going to stop there with Nintendo, but I could see them wanting a stronger baseline for their games.

I really want an Athena Cykes led game! Phoenix can be there too and I expect them to split time, but Apollo needs a break for at least one game.

Oh, we're doing this already? Wow, okay.

I have to say this is the direct that I'm really just not anticipating at all. And what I mean by that is I'm not chomping at the bit to see Nintendo's next games because I feel comfortable that all of their bigger teams/leads have moved on to the next system. Just purely based off dev times and how long it's been since their last releases.

3D Mario is gonna be a/the launch title for NS2. I'm sure they'll have a few new IPs in the launch window again, with at least one being casual. Splatoon 3, Pokemon gen 9 just launched last year- Zelda, 2D Mario, Pikmin were this year, and everything else like Smash/MK/AC, etc. are in deep development for the next system.

In terms of "what's left" on Switch, well it's really just MP4, DK, FE4 Echoes, Tomodachi Life, one last Mario Sports game (baseball?), more remasters/ports (KI Uprising?), and likely a few more Kirby spinoffs. The only tricky one for me is Mario Party because NDCube has released one every three years. So do they release a new, exclusive MP for NS2 next holiday (a first for MP, as every other game was in the following calendar year) or will it be the last Switch MP and be cross gen? Or do they take a 4 year gap and wait until mid/late 2025 (MP8 was in the spring/summer following the Wii's holiday '06 launch).

I don't know. At this point, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to show me what they've got and am really more interested in seeing how it plays out. Where will Nintendo slot certain games? What will come before and after NS2's launch? Will we get one last Switch focused general direct or will it be a mini to fill out the rest of the first half of '24? What will they call the NS2 reveal event and how will directs going forward with two platforms look like?

She deserves her time on the spotlight, but for marketing sake, I presume Phoenix will be the main brand, but it'll be her full game.

hopefully they FIIIIINALLYYY address that pending plot point about Apollo and his sister
I mean, they left Apollo back at Khu'rain with his step brother. I think his tale came to an end there and doubt they'll ever return to that magician storyline. AA6 also had a closure to Gramarye saga. Athena has enough lore in her life with space and shit, they can have a cool closer case about that in AA7.

I'm thinking January to put some distance between upcoming switch games and switch 2 games which will probably get a reveal in March at the earliest

When was it not that time? lol
in the weeks and months were it does not make sense to speculate about a Direct when we've just had one like half of September, the months of October, November and most of December

Capcom is just saving their Nintendo chips for the Breath of Fire revival ;)
I played through the first two games on NSO this year. I grew up with Breath of Fire 1, but had never played it start to finish before myself so that was kind of cool to revisit even if it was a bit basic. Breath of Fire II I had never really seen, encountered, or heard about. It was definitely a better playing game all around, but the most memorable thing about it was this very weird obsession with toilets across the game. It’s so prevalent, it’s super distracting from everything else it does lol.

This post is to say mainly, I used to be like yeah cool Capcom should work on Breath of Fire again and now, having not played 3 or 4 yet, I’m kind of conflicted haha.

Wait, when did he say that? The last thing I remember from him was right after Outrage got canceled, but he talked about RE Switch as a title that very much existed and work done on it with the possibility of it being delayed and/or shifted to the Switch 4k that people expected at the time.

Wait, when did he say that? The last thing I remember from him was right after Outrage got canceled, but he talked about RE Switch as a title that very much existed and work done on it with the possibility of it being delayed and/or shifted to the Switch 4k that people expected at the time.
One of the era general threads but it'd be near impossible to find that there. I'm not aware of any further comments from him if he made on this board. Maybe he'll drop on this thread to give more details about it but let's not tag anyone here.

Folks saying Prime needs to be a graphical showcase/exclusive for 2witch seem to be forgetting that Retro are making it. Look at what they've already done with a switch, 4 is gonna be bloody breathtaking and by some witchcraft have flawless performance.

Folks saying Prime needs to be a graphical showcase/exclusive for 2witch seem to be forgetting that Retro are making it. Look at what they've already done with a switch, 4 is gonna be bloody breathtaking and by some witchcraft have flawless performance.
Even before the remaster, the old Prime games look fantastic to this day. I agree however it comes out the game is going to look incredible.

I am expecting Nintendo finally bringing Link‘s Crossbow Training to Switch next year. It is about time.

Last edited:
It's hard to make any call about Prime 4's graphics when we have no info on the game's scope and gameplay.

If this is hyper enclosed like Prime 1 or like God of War Ragnarok, yes, it should be very visually impressive for Switch. If this is open world ish, it will be hard to look better than TotK.

As someone who just replayed a whole bunch of GameCube games, that library is criminally undertapped so far for remakes, remasters, and rereleases. Every game I replayed I kept asking myself why hasn’t this game been rereleased in 20 some years (except Tales of Symphonia which is why has every rerelease been so crummy and inferior lol). Would love to see Rogue Squadron, F-Zero GX, Mario Golf, and Kirby’s Air Ride return especially.
Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Battalion Wars, Doshin, Star Fox x2, eternal darkness, geist, etc. etc.

Oh I'm not forgetting that, in fact it's why I'm expecting it to be a graphical showcase on 2 Switch 2 Furious. Not exclusive but definitely a game to show off the new system and say "lookie what this thing can do!!"

If the schedule lines up for it to be crossgen, that is.

I'm going to assume we're getting a traditional Direct in February, which for me means I expect we'll get 1-2 new release dates and 1-2 new games shown. I'm struggling to be confident about anything, but I'm thinking about release dates for Side Order, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Paper Mario TTYD and reveals for FE4 remake and a couple other surprises, all as loose possibilities. I'd like to feel confident that Metroid Prime 4 will be here, but I think that depends for me on when Switch 2 is coming and if the game is getting a Switch 2 version. If Switch 2 is coming late 2024 or early 2025, I expect Nintendo to keep some final Switch 1 announcements for a summer show, even if they're already talking about Switch 2 at that time alongside it.

If this Direct ends up being a mini where we get very few reveals and mostly just new info/dates for known stuff or things coming in 1H 2024, then that will be very suspicious to me. Similarly suspicious would be Nintendo solidly dating things throughout the entire year as if they're clearing out their Switch announcements before Switch 2 news. Also, the longer that Metroid Prime 4 isn't shown, the more I'll suspect its re-reveal is being held for the Switch 2 announcement.

I also think it is February however air date will be much later than usual.

February 7th seems like the logical Direct date, both due to history but also I would imagine that we'll be getting the Direct with some amount of separation before the Switch 2 announcement/show/whatever.

Actually if it's a Mini this year, I could even see it being in January before any or most of the upcoming games come out, since it would be mostly reminders about those games. A Mini with one new announcement like Fire Emblem Geneology or maybe a third party game to close, even. Silksong reappearance at last?

I need to know from folks who think we’re getting general Nintendo Direct. What will be the game they end on then? Because we get new game announcements from Nintendo. Is it Metroid Prime 4 first reveal? A new DK game?
Either of those would fit, but I still think they're holding Prime 4 for Switch 2 footage. If DK is a thing coming to Switch this year, that'd work very well - same with Fire Emblem Geneology. Beyond that... not sure. Maybe they steal an announcement from Pokemon Day so that they have something bigger-ish to announce.

I need to know from folks who think we’re getting general Nintendo Direct. What will be the game they end on then? Because we get new game announcements from Nintendo. Is it Metroid Prime 4 first reveal? A new DK game?
I'd expect Fire Emblem 4 remake or something on that level that's not yet announced from one of the studios that could be due (Grezzo?). I'm personally thinking that Metroid Prime 4 could close it out but is just as likely, maybe more so, to open the show. I don't really expect a huge new Switch exclusive this year on the level of TOTK or Super Mario Bros. Wonder, so I'm not expecting a DK game for Switch unless Nintendo has lower expectations for it. I'm open to being wrong.

I feel like the system is going to launch with 3D Mario for the initial push and then they can put Metroid Prime 4 as the second big game the following month because people will be craving new experiences, and this can allow Metroid to really push sales. IMO.

Week 1 - What are you most looking forward to and hoping for from Nintendo in 2024?
I mostly wanna see the Switch successor and what it is capable of. I am particularly interested in what the third parties do with it given the overwhelming success of Switch 1. From Nintendo's side, I think a mainline 3D Mario game is a given at launch, but I am more curious on what the other launch window titles are. I am interested in what Pokemon has in store for next year, specially on what they can accomplish with the new console.

As for hopes, for Switch 1, classic mainline Pokemon games on NSO and a new Donkey Kong game (3D is the dream, but 99% is gonna be a sidescroller) are my two biggest wishes from Nintendo. For the successor, I am hoping for an increase in the quality of third party support and apart from the getting the smaller releases/paid collaborations we see the big stuff from third party companies, particularly japanese ones. That is, FF VII Remake, Monster Hunter New Wilds or the next Assassin's Creed game. In terms of successor titles, some sort of Golden Sun comeback is the dream (as well as a brand-new 2D Zelda), but I think if anything that is 2025: I do not think they will announce them for the first year if they are working on these titles.

Honestly it could fit and it would be a good reveal, but I believe they will focus on porting the Miles Edgeworth titles before announcing brand-new games in the series.
I think Metroid Prime 4 ends it and they open with either DK or Fire Emblem Remake. I expect the direct to be on January and to be the last Switch general direct. In terms of timeline, I am predicting it will be:

January: General Direct.
February: Pokemon Direct.
March: Switch 2 Presentation.

The Switch 2 teaser is gonna occur between the General and Pokemon Direct. I believe they will launch the successor on late Q2/Q3.

I mostly wanna see the Switch successor and what it is capable of. I am particularly interested in what the third parties do with it given the overwhelming success of Switch 1. From Nintendo's side, I think a mainline 3D Mario game is a given at launch, but I am more curious on what the other launch window titles are. I am interested in what Pokemon has in store for next year, specially on what they can accomplish with the new console.

As for hopes, for Switch 1, classic mainline Pokemon games on NSO and a new Donkey Kong game (3D is the dream, but 99% is gonna be a sidescroller) are my two biggest wishes from Nintendo. For the successor, I am hoping for an increase in the quality of third party support and apart from the getting the smaller releases/paid collaborations we see the big stuff from third party companies, particularly japanese ones. That is, FF VII Remake, Monster Hunter New Wilds or the next Assassin's Creed game. In terms of successor titles, some sort of Golden Sun comeback is the dream (as well as a brand-new 2D Zelda), but I think if anything that is 2025: I do not think they will announce them for the first year if they are working on these titles.

Honestly it could fit and it would be a good reveal, but I believe they will focus on porting the Miles Edgeworth titles before announcing brand-new games in the series.

I think Metroid Prime 4 ends it and they open with either DK or Fire Emblem Remake. I expect the direct to be on January and to be the last Switch general direct. In terms of timeline, I am predicting it will be:

January: General Direct.
February: Pokemon Direct.
March: Switch 2 Presentation.

The Switch 2 teaser is gonna occur between the General and Pokemon Direct. I believe they will launch the successor on late Q2/Q3.
There's not going to be another general direct before the Switch 2 presentation. Pokemon yeah. If they wait till March we just have to wait until then.

We had a lot of wild fun predicting the Direct date in The Legendary Speculator Challenge last thread, but this time I want to open up the guessing game to as many people as possible! The Great Direct Date Guess Event is a badge challenge with two badges up for grabs! It’s very simple to participate, either reply to this post or AT message me in a post and tell me what dates you believe the Nintendo Direct will air and the Switch 2 will be announced in Pacific Time. If you do not reply or AT message me, I will not consider it an official entry. The deadline to enter is December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time and you'll know I have accepted your prediction when I Yeah! your post. At that point I will screencap your answer and ultimately compile a chart in the OP to track participants, so make sure you’ve been added to it by January 4th. You do not have to predict both the Direct and the Switch 2 dates if you don’t want to, but there are no downsides to doing both. For The Great Direct Date Guess Event, you only need the dates to be clear (ie Wednesday January 3rd or Thursday February 4th), so you do not have to worry at all about predicting the time further otherwise.

If you believe an event would air or be announced at midnight Pacific time, for the purposes of proper guessing please put the second of the two days involved. For example, if you believe the Switch 2 will be announced at midnight between Tuesday January 2nd and Wednesday January 3rd Pacific Time, please put your guess down for January 3rd.

@Aurc is helping with creating the awesome badges for this event and we have one design ready to share right now! Winners of predicting the Direct air date will get the Direct Date Champion Badge!

Winners of predicting the Switch 2 Public Announcement Date will get the Switch 2 Date Legend Badge! (This includes a video, tweet, press release etc.) Like the Switch 2 itself, it is still being diligently worked on behind the scenes, but once the design is ready, I will share it in the thread and update this post! Thanks again Aurc for all of your help :)

So yes, please make sure to get your guesses in by December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time! Have fun Fami!
Figured I'll get my guesses in: The Direct will air on the 17th of January. The Switch 2 will be revealed on the 25th of February.

I can see Fire Emblem 4 Remake announced at the start of Direct, as is often the case.

Metroid Dread and Metroid Prime Remastered were announced in the middle, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Metroid Prime 4 announced there too.

And Donkey Kong, if it exists, I can see it at the end, as a one more thing.

Frankly, if Switchi has :

• Princess Peach Showtime
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake
  • (New ?) Donkey Kong

So it's going to be an absolutely brilliant last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom