• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo is very bad when it comes to underwelming remasters, which is funny because there are examples of them putting comic amounts of effort into them. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition looks like a remake but it's mainly a giant coat of paint plus an entirely extra expansion included. Metroid Prime Remastered turned a Gamecube game into something that looks like it was released for the PS4. Even TP and WWHD both had a fair chunk of effort in addition to the visual upgrades. This company is annoying as hell sometimes...

That being said, I do think TLoU2 as a remaster is probably worse than even my much maligned views of SSHD. A lot of smaller changes were done to make the game far better paced and less annoying to play through, in addition to work with the button controls that help preserve the game. The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is basically just a director's cut by another name, it's visual upgrade virtually doesn't exist and it's main additions are "Oh wow, look at this scrapped content and developer insight into why we made this game!" plus an additional combat-focused mode.
It's also only a $10 upgrade if you own the original, which is fair for what they're offering. Only people who have to pay full price are people who want a PS5 disc and/or never owned the game on PS4 and don't want to jump through hoops to do the upgrade route.

How should they “rise above” this trend? they themselves have been a huge example for full-price ports with minor additions. I don’t even really dislike these kind of titles, but Nintendo has been the #1 publisher for these games with the Switch. Let’s not pretend it’s others footsteps they’re following here.

It’s simple really. The games Nintendo ports over aren’t available on Nintendo Switch through backwards compatibility. If you want to buy a game from a previous generation, a remaster or port is the only option. It makes perfect sense to give those titles this treatment.

What Sony has been doing, is remastering games that are already available on PS5 through backwards compatibility (and for that matter are still being sold). The graphical differences and additions are slight at best, and there’s no real reason for these ports to exist other than being a cashgrab.

Basically, there’s a difference between releasing an HD port of a Wii game that isn’t already available on Switch, and releasing a 4K port of a Switch game that’s already available on Switch 2.

It's also only a $10 upgrade if you own the original, which is fair for what they're offering. Only people who have to pay full price are people who want a PS5 disc and/or never owned the game on PS4 and don't want to jump through hoops to do the upgrade route.
That's fair. I still take issue with it (again, a "remaster" only having a bump to 4K and Director's cut content should be called a "Director's Cut"), but at least there's a slight justification for people who already own the disc.

Not really something I can say for Skyward Sword HD... god that release still angers me.

That's fair. I still take issue with it (again, a "remaster" only having a bump to 4K and Director's cut content should be called a "Director's Cut"), but at least there's a slight justification for people who already own the disc.

Not really something I can say for Skyward Sword HD... god that release still angers me.
Yeah they did change almost nothing and sell the game for 60$ while Metroid Prime Remastered, a completely graphical overhaul from the original game gets sold for 40$. Something is wrong with Nintendo game prices lol.

Last edited:
Yeah they did change almost nothing and sell the game for 60$ while Metroid Prime Remastered, a completely graphical overhaul from the original game gets sold for 40$. Something is wrong with Nintendo game prices.
Retooling the game to work with standard controls is not what I'd call "change almost nothing". It may not be a very exciting change for those of us who enjoyed the motion controls of the original, but it still took time/effort to do.

Next direct has no 'one last thing', just a recap video at the end - not of the direct, but the entire switch line-up. Implying but not mentioning Switch 2. Would be a nice way to end the last Switch 1 only direct!

Retooling the game to work with standard controls is not what I'd call "change almost nothing". It may not be a very exciting change for those of us who enjoyed the motion controls of the original, but it still took time/effort to do.
The control retooling was good and probably one of the few things that justified it as a remaster. Regardless it was a pretty bad remaster and even had a graphical bug with distant 2d objects. Also Retro did change the controls for Prime too. Which of them deserves more for a 60$ price in your opinion?

That would be a complete waste of time and resources. Most people aren’t going to shell out another $70 for a compilation port of games they most likely already own and will already be playable on the new system through backward compatibility.

Plus I don’t think the optics of releasing deluxe ports of old Switch 1 games at launch would be great. Hardcore fans will call it a lazy cashgrab, and casuals won’t be enticed by something that looks so similar to what they already own (which was the problem with the big games at the Wii U’s launch).

The launch needs to be brand new first party games, and third party releases that weren’t available on Switch 1. Deluxe Ports of Switch games shouldn’t be a thing until late into the system’s life, if at all.

That would be a really complex project and don't think anyone would want to work on that, it's really messy design wise. I believe the Zelda team won't want to touch those two games for many years. At most they could leave a small team work on a few graphical enhancements for Switch 2.

You guys are putting a lot of thought into a silly and not at all serious exchange between two people. Talk about wasted effort. 🤭

The control retooling was good and probably one of the few things that justified it as a remaster. Regardless it was a pretty bad remaster and even had a graphical bug with distant 2d objects. Also Retro did change the controls for Prime too. Which of them deserves more for a 60$ price in your opinion?
Skyward Sword which is the better game then Midtroid Prime

Skyward Sword is a top 3 Zelda for me so I'm always going to be bias towards it. I also love Metroid Prime and think it's a masterpiece.

Skyward Sword which is the better game then Midtroid Prime

Skyward Sword is a top 3 Zelda for me so I'm always going to be bias towards it. I also love Metroid Prime and think it's a masterpiece.
I‘m not arguing about which original game is better, but in terms of remaster improvements I think Prime is clearly superior. You are naturally free to disagree.

Price discussions like these are inherently flawed and ultimately pointless because effort and "quality", however you wanna quantify them, have never directly correlated with game prices. There’s more people who paid $60 for SSHD than people who paid $40 for MPR and that’s all that matters to the people setting the prices.

Also Skyward Sword is a ~40ish hour game with a massive world and a ton of assets vs Metroid Prime a ~15ish hour with a much smaller world. It would he exponentially more expensive to give SS the same kind of graphics overhaul that Prime 1 got.

Also Skyward Sword is a ~40ish hour game with a massive world and a ton of assets vs Metroid Prime a ~15ish hour with a much smaller world. It would he exponentially more expensive to give SS the same kind of graphics overhaul that Prime 1 got.
I wasn't really ever expecting to get SSHD with a massive visual overhaul, but I was kinda hoping for a bit more than what was provided. It's a gorgeous game that was limited a smidge by the Wii's output resolution, but there were other areas where i think they could've gone a bit further. I think trimming the fat a bit further and adding, like, one new area or something would've been neat. Something akin to a combat arena at least, because that's where SS originally thrived. Oh well, not much that can be done now ig.

Too early I think, Hi-Fi Rush doesn't seem to be Switch bound with the latest insider update and Grubb sounded like Sea of Stars Thieves port still hasn't been decided yet. I don't think we'll get any MS games on Switch.

But... MS games on NSO should be possible. Three Rare games are in, now they need to reveal the rest of them. Tooie, Blast Corps, Conker, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Banjo GBA, Mr Pants and Sabre Wolf! All of them. No Rare Replay but we'll get the important games anyway.
I didn't catch the change of gears all of sudden... that's a bummer. I'd rather have Hi-Fi Rush on Switch than just having to wait to get a brand new system to play it. And Sea of Thieves was a cool for the implications alone (that one Banjo game in development.. having it day and date on a Nintendo platform)

But I'll gladly take more Rare games on NSO; hopefully they'll show a roadmap for 2024 in the next Direct.

I don't think I'll ever see the appeal of Skyward Sword.

Then again, I don't think I've ever had the attention span of games like that unfortunately.

Skyward has one section that sucks (the underwater one) and the sky is a major disappointment, but it's a fantastic game. The motion controls are great and the dungeons are all top tier.

On the bright side, January is probably going to be the last "slow" month for a looong time.

General Direct and Pokemon Direct in Febuary
Switch 2 announcement in March
Then we'll probably ride that high (with releases like Thousand Year Door) until June, where we'll get a massive direct/blowout
Then the Launch in September with another Direct around that time too!

This is merely the calm before the storm
The volcano before the eruption
The training arc before the tournament
The fimbulwinter before the Ragnarok
I love this comment, I think after January were in for a ride. At least were over halfway done January, and Prince of Persia game is out soon. But January is always tough!

I love this comment, I think after January were in for a ride. At least were over halfway done January, and Prince of Persia game is out soon. But January is always tough!
After my final exam on the 19th, I'm probably just going to end up playing Palworld for the next few weeks until Persona 3 Reload, in which I'll play that until another game releases and so on until the Switch 2 releases.

How do people forget that Skyward Sword HD bumped the framerate to 60fps when you can't even do that properly on Dolphin for the original release lol. Honestly, that's enough for me.

Prime Remastered does get bonus points for including Federation Force's control scheme, though. Honestly to a certain degree, that's probably the closest you can get to the original control scheme with just enough modern tweaks.

Personally I've been enjoying the current Nintendo Indirect

• the only 2 Golden Suns are finally available again
  • Ace Combat 7 somehow works on the Switch
  • Prince of Persia seems good to great
  • Tomb Raider Remasters looking solid
  • alleged Xbox ports on the horizon
  • Donkey Kong confirmed to not be an ape

and the month isn't even over yet! could be a Metroid Prime 4 shadow drop at any moment

Last edited:
Yeah they did change almost nothing and sell the game for 60$ while Metroid Prime Remastered, a completely graphical overhaul from the original game gets sold for 40$. Something is wrong with Nintendo game prices lol.
I’m sure the main reason why Metroid Prime Remastered is only $40 is because Nintendo had already significantly devalued the game themselves with Metroid Prime Trilogy. First they bundled an enhanced port of it with Metroid Prime 2 and 3 on Wii for just $50 (effectively making Metroid Prime on its own worth only ~$17), and then they rereleased that digitally on Wii U for just $20 (effectively making Metroid Prime itself worth just ~$7)—and to make matters worse, the Wii U eShop release was on sale for 50% off when it first launched (making Metroid Prime a mere ~$3 value)! Charging $40 for an impressive remaster of the game is still significantly more than the ~$7 (or ~$3) value that the game was worth just last generation, so Nintendo probably didn’t want to push it any further than that. They could have easily charged more for the game if they didn’t already devalue it so much the past two generations, and I’m sure Nintendo knows this very well and is a big part in why we don’t really see releases like Metroid Prime Trilogy anymore (Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the closest we’ve got in recent years, and there’s a reason why that was specifically made available for a limited time only).

I’m sure the main reason why Metroid Prime Remastered is only $40 is because Nintendo had already significantly devalued the game themselves with Metroid Prime Trilogy. First they bundled an enhanced port of it with Metroid Prime 2 and 3 on Wii for just $50 (effectively making Metroid Prime on its own worth only ~$17), and then they rereleased that digitally on Wii U for just $20 (effectively making Metroid Prime itself worth just ~$7)—and to make matters worse, the Wii U eShop release was on sale for 50% off when it first launched (making Metroid Prime a mere ~$3 value)! Charging $40 for an impressive remaster of the game is still significantly more than the ~$7 (or ~$3) value that the game was worth just last generation, so Nintendo probably didn’t want to push it any further than that. They could have easily charged more for the game if they didn’t already devalue it so much the past two generations, and I’m sure Nintendo knows this very well and is a big part in why we don’t really see releases like Metroid Prime Trilogy anymore (Super Mario 3D All-Stars is the closest we’ve got in recent years, and there’s a reason why that was specifically made available for a limited time only).
Lol I remember buying the trilogy on wii u for 20 euros, such a steal

Why can't they ever just give us a Direct in January, shame
I mean it makes sense.
Everyone is washed from Holidays Spending, so it's a bad time for game companies to pull up and say "Look at all this stuff we want you pre order RIGHT NOW!"

The gotta let the wallets replenish a bit before they start picking at them again

Paid 50€ for SSHD on launch day and would do it again. Beautiful game, best dungeons in the franchise and one of the greatest stories too. It has its flaws, but i played it four times already and probably will come back in the future.

Prime Remastered was a phenomenal work. I've only finished it once, but it's a matter of time before i double dip

My opinion is that SSHD is one of the best HD rerelease Nintendo has ever put out and the best Zelda one because it takes what many considered a product of its time stuck on an old console and not only modernized it perfectly to be played again but better than ever. They solved the controls issues, cut back on Fi and tutorials, made dialogue skippable, added a free camera, up the resolution to 1080p, first 3D Zelda to ever be 60fps... They basically did everything people wanted them to and now we forever have a perfectly playable Skyward Sword available to millions of people.

So we’re all eager to see Prime 4 this year.

Question is, how would you like for it to be revealed?

Like, full-on gameplay action trailer is something I feel could come closer to release. For a new trailer dropping in the imminent future, I would take just some drop-dead gorgeous panoramas over giant, imposing chozo statues, with thunder roaring in the distance. Followed by the “2024”, of course.
Timing of release really influences my thoughts here. I could see the panoramas-and-statues teaser being the Columbo ending to the February Direct, then the full-on gameplay trailer would be a great blowout opener for the June Direct. I'd like that progression a lot.

But if there aren't two Directs between now and release then obviously one big blowout trailer is necessary, then maybe the ambient trailer can just go on youtube (sorta like what they've done with the Xenoblades). But if it's coming this year I'd expect it to be an H2 release so I assume there's at least two Directs between now and release so, yeah I guess my answer is the first paragraph. 😅

and the month isn't even over yet! could be a Metroid Prime 4 shadow drop at any moment
Twitter Direct stays winning

How the fuck did I never think of "Nintendo Indirect" that's fucking hilarious, how did I miss that?!

I don't think that we will get another (Switch 1) Nintendo Direct.

Nintendo will post posts on X and in April they will announce Switch 2.
So, next Direct only in February of 2025.

The (heavily rumored) existence of the Genealogy remake kind of quashes any chance of Twitter only announcements up until the Console reveal, it's too big to just be randomly dropped in a 9:00AM tweet on a Tuesday. The only alternative is that it's being held back for the new console, but Nate has said it's already finished as a Switch 1 title and waiting to be released.

The (heavily rumored) existence of the Genealogy remake kind of quashes any chance of Twitter only announcements up until the Console reveal, it's too big to just be randomly dropped in a 9:00AM tweet on a Tuesday. The only alternative is that it's being held back for the new console, but Nate has said it's already finished as a Switch 1 title and waiting to be released.

I mean, that's obviously wrong is the thing though, lol.

Fire Emblem 4 is a basic outline of a game story with gameplay mechanics that are pretty derided. The idea here goes

1. IS finishes Fire Emblem Engage mid 2021
2. IS immediately starts a Fire Emblem 4 remake
3. They finish this in just over two years even though it would absolutely need a full dev cycle worth of time (4+ years)

Outside of the basic plot outline and basic character outlines, there's nothing whatsoever that can be brought over from FE4 and it's going to require an entire game worth of work.

Quoted by: Tab
I mean, that's obviously wrong is the thing though, lol.

Fire Emblem 4 is a basic outline of a game story with gameplay mechanics that are pretty derided. The idea here goes

1. IS finishes Fire Emblem Engage mid 2021
2. IS immediately starts a Fire Emblem 4 remake
3. They finish this in just over two years even though it would absolutely need a full dev cycle worth of time (4+ years)

Outside of the basic plot outline and basic character outlines, there's nothing whatsoever that can be brought over from FE4 and it's going to require an entire game worth of work.
The answer to this was in Engage's code: The Genealogy remake was in development before Engage. Engage is the 18th game in the series, but internally it's called Iron19. What's more, there's a reference in Engage's data to another project, that being Iron18. The Genealogy remake likely started development a long time ago, perhaps even on the 3DS, as there were rumors years ago about another remake being in development for the 3DS after Echoes before being shelved, presumably due to the Switch taking off and the 3DS dying faster than anticipated.

So we’re all eager to see Prime 4 this year.

Question is, how would you like for it to be revealed?

Like, full-on gameplay action trailer is something I feel could come closer to release. For a new trailer dropping in the imminent future, I would take just some drop-dead gorgeous panoramas over giant, imposing chozo statues, with thunder roaring in the distance. Followed by the “2024”, of course.
I am currently of the opinion that they are likely holding off on a big Prime 4 blowout until they can reveal it as a (possibly cross-gen) launch title for Switch 2. And as I don't expect a new console to be revealed until later in the year, my expectations for Prime 4 in the presumed February Direct are very low. As in, nothing at all, or perhaps a developer update monologue and a screenshot or two if we're lucky, promising more info to come in the coming months. I would be delighted to be wrong, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

But when the time comes to reveal Prime 4 in a big way, I would enjoy if it gave a lot of focus to environments. I'm less concerned with seeing action as I am with seeing the world the game will inhabit. They don't need to reveal all their cards, but I want a good sampling. Maybe they start off with some glamour shots of Samus' new look from early game cutscenes, roll into the environments showcase, touch on a little combat gameplay, and then end with a partial boss cutscene. Release date. And a "one more thing" single second tease, but not reveal, of Ridley's new look. That'd be swell.

...which rolls into the next reveal, a special edition Prime 4 Switch 2 model. Please.

The answer to this was in Engage's code: The Genealogy remake was in development before Engage. Engage is the 18th game in the series, but internally it's called Iron19. What's more, there a reference in Engage's data to another project, that being Iron18. The Genealogy remake likely started development a long time ago, perhaps even on the 3DS, as there were rumors years ago about another remake being in development for the 3DS after Echoes before being shelved, presumably due to the Switch taking off and the 3DS dying faster than anticipated.

I mean, none of that lines up either unless IS massively rushed Engage to.... finish it 1.5 years before its release date... So I'm pretty doubtful.

The most realistic timeframe probably goes

Finish FE2 remake in 2017, start working on Engage.
Finish Engage in 2021, start working on Fire Emblem 4 remake
Finish Fire Emblem 4 remake in like 2025 or so.

I mean, none of that lines up either unless IS massively rushed Engage to.... finish it 1.5 years before its release date... So I'm pretty doubtful.

Engage was intended to release in 2020 for the series' 30th anniversary, hence the heavy focus on past Fire Emblem characters. The pandemic meant they would miss it so the release timing became less critical, and as far as we're aware Engage did sit complete for a while, the speed at which the DLC came out afterwards corroborates that.

You also haven't addressed the existence of Iron18 internally. It doesn't matter if you think it doesn't line up, because we already know a game exists internally between Three Houses and Engage, your "realistic timeframe" is already refuted.

Wrong. You don’t need to act right all the time. Like listen to what others have told you sometimes and learn. Geez

I don’t mean to come off as an a-hole, but you always want to be right. It’s ok to be wrong. We’re all wrong. Have some humility. This rumor has been around for a while for good reason.

Last edited:
But what will FE4 remake be titled :unsure:
I think it's just going to be called Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, at least in English anyways.

I know people think they'll use Echoes as a subseries name, but they've firmly established that Echoes is just part of Shadows of Valentia's title and nothing else. Celica is the emblem of Echoes in Engage, and in Heroes they often shorten it's title to just Echoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom