• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see how a Partner Showcase can be a good ideia. We have no dated first party games beyond March, and only LM3 and TTYD after that. Only two games for a 6 month span?

Unless they choose to have a general Direct by late March or April that announces Fire Emblem 4 Remake and some other game to fill the gaps, but the again, why don't just do a normal Mini or general in February??

Do a normal Direct, announce new games coming for Switch, have a Switch 2 trailer in March where a couple of games to be cross gen(MP4 and DK??) and a couple of games to be released before Switch 2 appearing alongside Tears of the Kingdom and Super Mario Bros. Wonder as highlights of BC/4K.

I honestly can't see them having a Switch 2 trailer where Metroid Prime 4 and the next 3D Mario and some other games appear and then they wait until like June or July for a showcase to even acknowledge that those games were the ones shown.

Unless the Switch 2 reveal is a "Nintendo Switch 2 Direct" where they have a trailer for the hardware and trailers for the games shown on it, then I can see the reason of the Direct being a Partner Showcase. Otherwise I'll just see it as a dumb decision.

I can't wait for them to do a reveal trailer for SMTVI (which hasn't even gotten out of pre-production) at the Switch 2 Presentation.
This time it will be so in early production stage that the announcement will be just a piece of paper scribbled on it "New SMT game? Call Nintendo to see if they foot the bill!!!!! 6 or spin-off? Get tomatoes at grocery store"

People seem to be forgetting that the switch is not only meant to play Nintendo games. 3rd party games can help carry the system. It's not only Nintendo that makes good games you know. It's normal that if the switch 2 is coming, they want to reserve their next big things to the next system.

Is it bad that I'm still holding out hope it's a General Direct, I just want that Metroid Prime 2 shadowdrop so I can finally play the damn game.

People seem to be forgetting that the switch is not only meant to play Nintendo games. 3rd party games can help carry the system. It's not only Nintendo that makes good games you know. It's normal that if the switch 2 is coming, they want to reserve their next big things to the next system.
I think people are just concerned because the outlook outside of the Switch 2 kinda looks bleak, which I understand.

A part of me is hoping that this is a 2018 situation where we got a January Mini Direct with a major Direct in March. So a smaller direct focusing on housekeeping some smaller titles, DLC for existing ones and some third parties and then a bigger one that has a lot more first/second party titles. Not really entirely sure if that'll happen, but here's to hoping I guess.

Gimme an SMTIV + Apocalypse remaster and you can just make that the whole Showcase, for all I care. I’ll wait for everything else.
Yes, please! I mentioned this pages ago, about the rumored HD Remasters, but nothing got announced circa TGS.

This could be the Persona remasters of this showcase~ :>

So, I had a dream about a New Mario Kart. It was an open world racer and you could get out of your kart to explore the world as a platformer as well. Banjo-Kazooie were guest characters. Take from it what you will!

A Hyrule Warriors Age of the Zonai/Imprisioning War game would fit more in the Switch 2, tbh. They can space out the release, it’s a Zelda game and a live service game

Okay so how exactly definitively sure are we about a Partner Showcase right now?
We basically only have Nate and Necro's statements to go off of:
  • Nate said on here that he knows of an exact format, yet says in his podcast that he's "going into the first Direct of the year, with the expectation that it's going to be a Partner Direct." He continues with "I don't think Nintendo will host a General Direct in February, I think they're going to do third parties instead."
  • Necro says he has no knowledge of what the format of the Direct is exactly, but expresses hope of it being a Partner Direct for a certain reason.

Okay so how exactly definitively sure are we about a Partner Showcase right now?
  • Nate said on here that he knows of an exact format, yet says in his podcast that he's "going into the first Direct of the year, with the expectation that it's going to be a Partner Direct." He continues with "I don't think Nintendo will host a General Direct in February, I think they're going to do third parties instead."
  • Necro says he has no knowledge of what the format of the Direct is exactly, but expresses hope of it being a Partner Direct for a certain reason.
Kinda hard to get to all 5 stages of grief if we are still stuck at denial

The problem is that this statement is also true for 3rd parties, with all the talks about switch being underpowered and they’re just waiting for switch 2 to port their games why should we expect big things from 3rd parties to carry a direct?

Apologies if I'm misremembering but wasn't the point of the partner showcase to fulfil contractual obligations? (At least in the case of the 2020 one)
But hey at the end of the day trying to make sense of Ninty's plan especially in a transition year is a fool's errand

Nate once he opens this thread

image.png
Probably peaked into the thread already and peaced out when people were going on rants who the February Direct being a partner mini Nintendo has somehow killed the final year for the switch

I think people are just concerned because the outlook outside of the Switch 2 kinda looks bleak, which I understand.

A part of me is hoping that this is a 2018 situation where we got a January Mini Direct with a major Direct in March. So a smaller direct focusing on housekeeping some smaller titles, DLC for existing ones and some third parties and then a bigger one that has a lot more first/second party titles. Not really entirely sure if that'll happen, but here's to hoping I guess.

Not one but two directs, with first party titles revealed... 6-9 months before a new console????

The problem is that this statement is also true for 3rd parties, with all the talks about switch being underpowered and they’re just waiting for switch 2 to port their games why should we expect big things from 3rd parties to carry a direct?

Install base — Nintendo’s games are gonna sell no matter what platform they’re on, but smaller third party titles will really see a big boost from being in a platform with 140 million units sold vs. a brand new one. Even once Switch 2 is released we’ll still be seeing cross-gen releases from third parties for years, basically wherever it’s technically possible.

Apologies if I'm misremembering but wasn't the point of the partner showcase to fulfil contractual obligations? (At least in the case of the 2020 one)
But hey at the end of the day trying to make sense of Ninty's plan especially in a transition year is a fool's errand
Probably, yes, both in 2020 and again in 2022. In both cases, events and regular schedules were superseded by events - obviously the pandemic in 2020, which led to a change in Nintendo's willingness to talk about and schedule its games, and then with E3 being cancelled in 2022. In both years third parties probably still wanted to take advantage of the Direct branding, and may well have had marketing agreements with Nintendo (especially true of 2022's June Direct, I'd guess).

they might be coming to Nintendo for a Princess Peach Showtime event(previews or reviews for the game)
We’re either getting:
• Partners Showcase, Peach Direct later
• Direct Mini, Peach Direct later
• General Direct with a big Peach segment

Excited to inevitably wake up to us crossing 10,000 posts today. Our chaotic energy marches ever onward and higher for the last week of Direct Speculation :)

I'm not the most up to date on all this stuff, but the logic goes something like this:
  • Nate supposedly knows the format of the Direct, but not when it will be released exactly. So if he's saying he expects a Partner showcase, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to expect something he knows is not true.
  • Necro also updated by saying something to the effect that he only hopes for what he knows is possible.
Basically, it sounds like they both know it's a Partner direct, but just use the noncommittal language insiders always use.

Excited to inevitably wake up to us crossing 10,000 posts today. Our chaotic energy marches ever onward and higher for the last week of Direct Speculation :)
We're up over 1,000 guests online again. I think Nintendo's gonna wait for it to drop below 200 before doing their twitter direct.

Not sure if this one was shared. This was after his own podcast aired.

Both Partner Direct is mentioned again. Also states again that there is something happening in March.

.....please tell me that the whole "TOTK disappointing sales" shit isn't actually spreading now?

We should take notes from rich people and make a party with confeti, balloons and all that stuff: the format reveal party. Red for General, grey for Mini, black for Partner.

IntSys and Nintendo are a little bit more than "Partners," I think - more like Married.
more like that couple you know that have been together since high school, live together, have 2 kids, but still aren't legally married because "eh, it's just a piece of paper"

Maybe some day Nintendo will formally put a ring on it

Partner Showcases are not for Nintendo IPs, published by Nintendo and developed by Nintendo second parties. Mario + Rabbids is a crossover between a Nintendo IP and a Ubisoft IP, developed by Ubisoft and published by Ubisoft in most countries. Part Time UFO is a HAL Laboratory IP that was originally published in Android and iOS.
I generally agree that expectations should be lowered, but I think the fact FE Warriors Three Hopes was part of a sizzle reel for the June 2022 partner direct does leave the door at least a bit open for things more "actually Nintendo" than Mario Rabbids or Part-Time UFO

Not sure if this one was shared. This was after his own podcast aired.

Both Partner Direct is mentioned again. Also states again that there is something happening in March.

Josie asks Nate is it's sort of a guess about the Partner Showcase, or more of an educated guess and Nate reponds (carefully) with "It's informed.. speculation let's go with that."

Josie then asks Nate if it's based on information known to the public, to which Nate responds with "No."

I generally agree that expectations should be lowered, but I think the fact FE Warriors Three Hopes was part of a sizzle reel for the June 2022 partner direct does leave the door at least a bit open for things more "actually Nintendo" than Mario Rabbids or Part-Time UFO
But Warriors is a situation pretty similar to Mario + Rabbids. They are not "more actually Nintendo".

Last edited:
Josie asks Nate is it's sort of a guess about the Partner Showcase, or more of an educated guess and Nate reponds (carefully) with "It's informed.. speculation let's go with that."

Josie then asks Nate if it's based on information known to the public, to which Nate responds with "No."
So it’s not baseless speculation, just one based on information he’s received, and interpreted.

Welp, anything can happen

If it's a Partner Showcase, do we think Nintendo will announce the TTYD date soon?
boring answer, but I think it depends on what that date is

Like, if it's meant to be the April game, I think they announce the date sometime before Peach Showtime releases; if it's may or later, I think they can wait until after Peach to give TTYD a date

The Warriors games are published by Koei-Tecmo in Japan, which is why they can appear in Partner Showcases

let’s speculate on the potential partners that could show up besides the usual
Capcom: Megaman Star Force Legacy Collection

Square Enix: Bravely Default HD Collection

Atlus: Shin Megami Tensei IV HD Collection

It’s the Switch’s HD Remaster/Remake year, so :p

most of the time nate knows more than he lets on
Yes and no. He is also extremely careful with how things are worded. Framing anything as being speculated or a guess implies that there is not 100% certainty. Most of the "inside" guys are often rather non-committal because they get incomplete information and there is always the chance that their analysis or assumptions can be wrong. If he was 100% confident in the format I think he would be more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom