• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soon it'll be like

0F5tkkb.gif

Nobody takes 7 years, but don’t forget about Covid delaying games. Then, it’s rumored Nintendo is working on a DK game from within the group.

-New 3D Mario
-3D World + Bowsers Fury
-Covid
-DK game
-Save 3D Mario for launch of new system because it’s either that or TOTK (and this wasn’t going to happen)

It makes sense.
It's possible the first year or so were all about pre-production and prototyping (well ACNH had 4 years for that), so actual development started by 2018 or so. 6 years is about what it would take with COVID, engine shifts, bigger scope and the team also making DK at the same time.
I dunno, I kinda think there's maybe some decent odds Black and White remakes could be announced this Direct, or at the very least before the end of the year.
I would love that as well!! I think that as Legends is in itself a different style of game they might announce/tease it before the DLC wraps up. If Legends 2 ends up being late 2024, announcing it this September is sort of equivalent for Legends announced in February 2021 for early 2022.
On the subject of Metroid Prime 4, I don't think it will necessarily move hardware if it launches alongside a new Switch; I believe there's something that could be said for launching it early in the window a month or two after the latest mainline 3D Mario. Metroid and Mario could definitely hit two very different demographics (especially with Zelda so very far away from what the next entry will be), and I think MP4 is the best game they have that thrives on being a graphical showcase and can absolutely make use of all the DLSS tech that upscales the image to 4K to show how much more powerful it is compared to the old Switch while still being crossgen.

All that said, there's no way Metroid Prime 4 skips the Switch after it was explicitly teased early in 2017 that it's coming to this console. I'm not sure how many there were, but people definitely bought a Switch for this game and are still waiting for it to release. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I bought the console thinking the game was at most two or three years out before the dev reboot, only to find that it's now exclusive to the next console.
Yeah, there's literally no way they ditch the Switch version. It was basically announced twice for Switch, then explicitly mentioned again before Dread announcement in 2021.
Not to mention a niche series has literally nothing to gain from scrapping a gigantic userbase.

I expect that the primary selling point of Switch 2 will be better visuals. The hybrid factor will no longer be a unique selling point. Why Switch 2 over Switch 1? Graphics.

I genuinely can't think of a better game to showcase this in the marketing than Metroid Prime 4. So I can't think of a better usage of that title in the release schedule of the next year. Sending it out in the 6 months before Switch 2 launches would just make absolutely zero sense to me, strategically.

Releasing with Switch 2 won't affect the game's sales on the base Switch anyway, and it could turn into a kind of lower-level launch evergreen for Switch 2. I'd try to position it like BotW was for Switch, where the reality that it was a Wii U game ported to Switch was totally obsured by delaying it to launch with the new machine, and it's considered a Switch game by everyone. I'd do the exact same with MP4, and can't think of a single reason not to.

I get that the Prime audience wants the game on the best possible hardware but it's just way too small of a series for Nintendo to bet the house on as the flagship launch title. Especially in the Japanese market where the Prime sub-series hasn't even had a title to sell over 100,000 at retail yet.

Launch day really has to have a game of the caliber of a 3D Mario or Mario Kart to get the Switch audience to start moving over.

I get that the Prime audience wants the game on the best possible hardware but it's just way too small of a series for Nintendo to bet the house on as the flagship launch title. Especially in the Japanese market where the Prime sub-series hasn't even had a title to sell over 100,000 at retail yet.

Launch day really has to have a game of the caliber of a 3D Mario or Mario Kart to get the Switch audience to start moving over.
literally no one is suggesting that they would just release with Prime 4 day one with switch 2, especially when we got several insiders saying 3D mario is the main day 1 launch title

I don’t think anyone is saying Prime 4 would be the sole launch title that they expect to carry the next system like BotW, just that it would be a really strong power showcase in addition to whatever else they have (going by the series’ history of always having the best visuals on the system)

I would love that as well!! I think that as Legends is in itself a different style of game they might announce/tease it before the DLC wraps up. If Legends 2 ends up being late 2024, announcing it this September is sort of equivalent for Legends announced in February 2021 for early 2022.
For sure, truthfully I'm more stoked for what path Legends takes next. The subtle teases for BW remakes between the future paradox trio, the new DLC character having a passing similarity to one of the existing gym leaders/E4, and the new evolution for Duraludon being a bridge resembling a landmark in BW means a lot of discussion and speculation. I equally hope that the fact that Entei, Raikou and Suicune being the focus in Scarlet is another hint to the next Legends game based on Johto (I'm secretly hoping for Celebi especially if it leans hard on time travel and Johto lore; I can't wait to see the origin of ERS as a result of the Burnt Tower, and I expect/want the cutscene to emotionally devastate me like Cubone's mom in LGPE)

I'm about to ramble as I finish editing this post but also, ever since I was young I thought when gen 2 was first revealed I thought the art took a lot of inspiration from Japanese culture, art and mythos, even more so than gen 1. The part 1 DLC also heavily hints towards the past, "tradition" if you will, and now I'm sliding into delusion over the masked Pokemon Ogerpon hiding Celebi lol

They are not launching two games the size of 3D Mario and Prime 4 on the same day.
If you're referring to my post, I also don't believe they'd launch both games the same day; it's why I specified launch window. Mario for launch day obviously, and Metroid Prime 4 in the next 8-12 weeks. It would still be part of the showcase that reveals the Switch 2, though; of that I have no doubt. Especially if we continue to see nothing for MP4 in the next Direct

If you're referring to my post, I also don't believe they'd launch both games the same day; it's why I specified launch window. Mario for launch day obviously, and Metroid Prime 4 in the next 8-12 weeks. It would still be part of the showcase that reveals the Switch 2, though; of that I have no doubt. Especially if we continue to see nothing for MP4 in the next Direct

OK launch window is more reasonable

The X Files season 1 mythos episodes involving Deep Throat's information are the creative inspiration for Direct Speculation.

we got several insiders saying 3D mario is the main day 1 launch title
wait what?
where?

If you're referring to my post, I also don't believe they'd launch both games the same day; it's why I specified launch window. Mario for launch day obviously, and Metroid Prime 4 in the next 8-12 weeks. It would still be part of the showcase that reveals the Switch 2, though; of that I have no doubt.
This is where I am, too, especially if hardware launches sooner than later (if later then I'd assume Prime 4 to be a big swan song release for Switch rather than being a crossgen with a big blowout upgrade for Drake)

Even if Prime 4 releases prior to the Switch 2, Nintendo could always release a next-gen patch or something. Honestly, I hope they do this for all of their late (2023/2024) Switch games. Y'know, provided the devs of said games are able and willing to develop next-gen patches.

Even if Prime 4 releases prior to the Switch 2, Nintendo could always release a next-gen patch or something. Honestly, I hope they do this for all of their late (2023/2024) Switch games. Y'know, provided the devs of said games are able and willing to develop next-gen patches.
This is the ideal scenario for me too, why hold back games that weren't developed for new hardware when you can put out patches as a great selling point of the new hardware. "Hey you know all those games you already own? Now they have ray-tracing and instant load times for the low low price of whatever the fuck the 2witch costs!"

I think there is a good chance for the game to get lost in the shuffle and build up to the Switch 2, and it's launch titles, if Nintendo was to release it next year but not along side the Switch 2.

THE LEGENDARY SPECULATOR CHALLENGE begins now! Sign ups are available for 1 week! Everyone is welcome to join!
Welcome to our first big event of ST6, THE LEGENDARY SPECULATOR CHALLENGE! One of my favorite stories from ST5 was some of the bigger bets made in the thread regarding Direct announcement and timing so I wanted to open up that fun to everyone this time! For one week starting now, anyone interested in participating can make their predictions about Direct timing and put their Avatar picture and possibly title on the line for a shot to go down in Fami history!

Let’s break down how this will work. There are two levels / tiers to this challenge, Fun and Courageous. For the Fun tier, you simply have to pick the Direct date and air time. From the moment you fail to succeed, you will be given a unique avatar of my choosing that adheres to a certain theme that you must then wear until 2 weeks following the air date of the Direct. So hypothetically, if you guessed 2 weeks early, you are wearing the avatar for 4 weeks.

For the Courageous tier, for those who really want to experience the thrill of gambling and enjoy stronger glory for success, you must pick not only the Direct date and air time, but also the announcement time as well! Unlike the Fun tier, you must wear your unique avatar for 1 month following the air date and also change your title to one of three options of my choosing. For those in the Fun tier who also want a themed title for a goofier message board atmosphere, the same titles will be optionally offered to you as well when you receive your avatar.

I’m not sure exactly how popular this event will be, but I encourage anyone interested to participate! I’m prepared to hand out roughly 50 unique avatars to losers with priority to those who apply first. If we exceed that number…I’ll cross that bridge when we come to it lol!

Here’s how to directly participate exactly. If you wish to apply to the Fun tier, all you have to do is AT message me or reply to this post and underline “I will accept the challenge!” and then share your prediction. For example:

@xghost777 , I will accept the challenge! The Direct will arrive on September 9th at 2:00 PM.

If you wish to apply to the Courageous tier you must do the same except put your declaration in bold and then share your prediction including announce time. For example:

@xghost777 , I will accept the challenge! The Direct will arrive on September 9th at 2:00 PM and will be announced on September 8th at 6:00 AM.

All prediction times must be in US West Coast / California time to keep it easy for me. I will just say announcement times are typically either 6:00 AM or 7:00 AM (the first tweet of the day!) and typical show times are usually 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM or 2:00 PM. Midnight Nintendo announcements also typically do indeed take place at midnight in California. If you do pick midnight for any announcement, please say something like “announced at midnight between September 8th and September 9th” so I know exactly what you are signing up for. Also, in the event of a shadowdropped show for the Courageous tier please say something along the lines of “announced and released on September 9th at 2:00 PM.”

I do not recommend picking September 9th btw, it is a Saturday lol.

You will know I have accepted your submission when I Yeah! your post. At that time too, I will screen cap it on my phone so I know when you submitted and I do read every post in chronological order. It will not be right away, but I will update the Opening Post of this thread with a table to track people participating and so people following along can too. AT message me again if there are any errors or you need to make an update during the first week registration window though the point of underlining and bolding your post is to hopefully make sure you are fully aware of what you are signing up for lol. In the event the date strongly leaks or somehow the Direct itself airs next week, I will close the submission window, but honor it for anyone who has signed up already.

I hope you will all enjoy THE LEGENDARY SPECULATOR CHALLENGE! Again, anyone is welcome to join and the more people who sign up the sillier and more fun this likely will ultimately be :)

I normally don’t pick up hitchhikers…but I’m going to go with my instinct on this one. September 2nd or earlier, because why the fuck not?

And that’s only because we can never predict Nintendo, so I’m thinking late this month we'll get some type of direct.

Saddle up, partner!

@xghost777 I accept this challenge! The Direct will arrive on Wednesday, September 6th at 9am EST and be announced on Tuesday, September 5th at 9am EST.

All right, I'll put my squirrel and title on the line!

@xghost777 , I will accept the challenge! The Direct will arrive on September 13th at 3:00 PM Pacific Time and will be announced on September 12th at 7:00 AM Pacific Time

Ooh, nervous to participate in this one 😅 I'll have to think on this some but I have a vague feeling of what I'll vote for

My biggest problem with the idea that metroid prime 4 could a cross gen launch title in the same vein as botw is that this time the 2 console won't be at a similar level like GC and wii or wiiu and switch, I don't think prime 4 a switch game would be a big technical showcase for the next switch if the speculated specs are to be believed, unless you expect huge differences between the 2 version but in that case they're just making 2 version of the same game and not a botw situation.
I still think the game will be the swan song of the switch and release before the next switch with 3d Mario as the big showcase title

My biggest problem with the idea that metroid prime 4 could a cross gen launch title in the same vein as botw is that this time the 2 console won't be at a similar level like GC and wii or wiiu and switch, I don't think prime 4 a switch game would be a big technical showcase for the next switch if the speculated specs are to be believed, unless you expect huge differences between the 2 version but in that case they're just making 2 version of the same game and not a botw situation.
I still think the game will be the swan song of the switch and release before the next switch with 3d Mario as the big showcase title
Considering how well Metroid Prime Remastered ended up looking, I could see a situation where the Switch version of Prime 4 looks that good or a bit better, then simply pushing 4K and maybe enhanced lighting (raytracing perhaps?) pushes the Drake version into looking spectacular. Don't need higher-poly models or even high LOD (Metroid tends to be claustrophobic after all) to make Drake's capabilities shine.

Did my sensors detect a Team January somewhere?!

Everyone, please stand back while we sterilize the thread! I repeat! Please stand back while we sterilize the thread and eliminate pests!

CornyWeirdHen-size_restricted.gif

@xghost777 ; I will accept the challenge. The Nintendo Direct will air on the 13th of September at 9:00 AM (6:00 PM in France), it will be announced on the 11th of September at 6:00 AM (3 PM in France)

No, this seems normal. There's usually a couple Mario physical releases per year. LM DM and Princess Peach games are 2024 anyway.
I’m also referring to the comparatively low amount of non-Mario-universe first-party games. We have Detective Pikachu and Metroid Prime 4, the latter of which isn’t even dated. I just find it strange that we have such an abundance of Mario-world stuff compared to everything else.

I’m also referring to the comparatively low amount of non-Mario-universe first-party games. We have Detective Pikachu and Metroid Prime 4, the latter of which isn’t even dated. I just find it strange that we have such an abundance of Mario-world stuff compared to everything else.

Things have been relatively Mario-light for a while so Mario is just catching up this holiday and early next year.

@xghost777 I will accept the challenge! The Nintendo Direct will air on Wednesday, 9/13 @ 3pm PT, and will be announced on Tuesday, 9/12 @ 7am PT. I just did a lot of research on this year's directs and patterns from prior years, so I'm feeling pretty good right now (famous last words lol)

Our first four challengers are all in on the tougher Courageous tier which is awesome!

@Brofield eager to see your guess when you’ve locked it down :)

Our first four challengers are all in on the tougher Courageous tier which is awesome!

@Brofield eager to see your guess when you’ve locked it down :)
Ahaha, ah fuck it, thinking is a fool's game. Vibes only!

@xghost777 , I will accept the challenge! The Direct will arrive on September 14th at 7:00 AM and will be announced on September 12th at 7:00 AM.

And going one further, I predict that there will be a Gamecube shadowdrop, and it will be Luigi's Mansion!

@xghost777 I will accept the challenge! The Nintendo Direct will air on Wednesday, 9/13 @ 3pm PT, and will be announced on Tuesday, 9/12 @ 7am PT. I just did a lot of research on this year's directs and patterns from prior years, so I'm feeling pretty good right now (famous last words lol)
I'm hearing our sources might be in agreement on this point...

psssst @Irene

I'm seeing people talking about patterns in this thread 👀
Look, have patterns ever let us down before? Yes all the time

I'm just following in @Aurc 's footsteps:

Ahaha, ah fuck it, thinking is a fool's game. Vibes only!

@xghost777 , I will accept the challenge! The Direct will arrive on September 14th at 7:00 AM and will be announced on September 12th at 7:00 AM.

And going one further, I predict that there will be a Gamecube shadowdrop, and it will be Luigi's Mansion!
Heck yeah that’s the spirit! I even noted your bonus guess in the OP chart! I’ll let you decide how that factors in here, if you need all three to succeed or not with the Courageous bet or if you want longer time or perhaps a required signature or not haha.

Heck yeah that’s the spirit! I even noted your bonus guess in the OP chart! I’ll let you decide how that factors in here, if you need all three to succeed or not with the Courageous bet or if you want longer time or perhaps a required signature or not haha.
Ahaha, I'll let the standard rules apply for my courageous bet, and find a suitable signature if I get my bonus guess (or not 😋). If there is no shadowdrop, then I know what I signed up for

But nah, Luigi's Mansion will get shadowdropped for sure. Twenty two years on the day when that game will have originally released! Nintendo would be fools to miss the chance to capitalize on an anniversary date!

Many thought that the next Switch would be released at the same time as Tears of the Kingdom or that the game would be cross-gen....

Metroid Prime 4 will be released on Switch, I'm sure of it. One of the last exclusives. Cross-gen is possible but I don't see the point.... Nintendo can just release a update.

Nintendo has other licenses to sell the next Switch, I'm not worried about that :)

Many thought that the next Switch would be released at the same time as Tears of the Kingdom or that the game would be cross-gen....

Metroid Prime 4 will be released on Switch, I'm sure of it. One of the last exclusives. Cross-gen is possible but I don't see the point.... Nintendo can just release a update.

Nintendo has other licenses to sell the next Switch, I'm not worried about that :)
Metroid Prime 4 isn’t only about selling the next switch. It’s to sell the game too. The series needs all the hype and user base it can get.

People had no idea when the next system was going to come out then, and TotK was publicly known to have been intended for an earlier release, so that line of thought isn't the same as having a much stronger idea that the next system and MP4's release will, ostensibly, be much closer to each other.

Mixed with the fact that, unlike TotK, MP4 has had no real details provided or content shown, the argument for it being next-gen, whether cross-release or not, is stronger than the one for TotK was, which was mostly based on looking at BotW and making poor assessments of the successor's release timeframe.

Metroid Prime 4 isn’t only about selling the next switch. It’s to sell the game too. The series needs all the hype and user base it can get.
yup, people will probably disagree but if BOTW was released on the Wii u first during fall 2016 like originally planned then got a switch port later I highly doubt it would be the 30M+ it is today, I would also say it might have taken Metroid Dread probably an extra 6-8 months to pass 3M if it didn't launch with the OLED

Games sell Consols but it's also true the other way around "Consols sell games"

EDIT: 2 more examples would be spider-man miles morales selling extremely well with the majority of the sales from PS5 despite also being on PS4 day one

and link's Awakening launching with the switch lite, a remake of a GB game that is not only soon to be the best-selling 2D Zelda but also in the top 5 best selling Zelda games of all time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom