• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also there's some context I guess. I get excited about Directs and about discussing them and such and I always look at them as more of a community thing but then as soon as @Raccoon got me thinking about paying for them I went to the "just an advertisement" side real quick without even thinking about it. 😅

Change it from a free-to-watch global community event to a ppv exclusive event and the context surrounding the whole thing changes, thus the perception.

tbh if Nintendo did start charging I'd probably find some way to pirate it just out of spite, even if the cost was just platinum coins

Last edited:
I’d pay a few dollars to see a Direct at, like, a theater. Mostly because then I’d be seeing it with a bunch of other nerds crazy enough to spend money to see it in a theater, and I think that would be fun and the hype would be contagious.

I know Sony has partnered with theaters to host fan events for some of their presentations, where people get to see the trailers on the big screen and also get like a poster to take home or whatnot. If Nintendo did the same I’d probably bite, as long as it wasn’t too much money.
oh man, I would actually pay for a ticket to one of these

Also there's some context I guess. I get excited about Directs and about discussing them and such and I always look at them as more of a community thing but then as soon as @Raccoon got me thinking about paying for them I went to the "just an advertisement" side real quick without even thinking about it. 😅

Change it from a free-to-watch global community event to a ppv exclusive event and the context surrounding the whole thing changes, thus the perception.
This sums up my feelings well.

I do like @Gay Bowser 's theater idea though. That's potentially neat.

It's not cynical to say a Direct is advertising; it's just -- at best -- obvious and uninteresting.

At worst, it's a pejorative, "just advertising," as if the people who are excited for Directs are being misled into something, and wouldn't be excited if they realized the purpose was to advertise, or shouldn't be excited because that's giving Nintendo's evil marketing department what they want. Which is all extremely dumb for reasons I shouldn't have to explain. Advertising is a fascinating and nuanced subject from an academic perspective, but from the perspective of "should people get excited about announcements and reveals for video games they plan to buy with their disposable income and enjoy for hours," it's much more simple.

Oh yeah I agree with this, like I don’t think people need to be any more or less excited for Directs because they’re an advertisement, obviously during A direct when you see a trailer for a game that looks good you’ll be excited to eventually play it and you shouldn’t feel any less excited because “the advertising got you”. I also think it’s fine for people to just view them as ads but I also think they shouldn’t then go and shame people for enjoying the community that’s formed around directs or people that are excited for them.

I feel like more and more companies try to make you not realize ads aren’t ads though, and it seems to be working because they keep doing it. And I see the way directs we’re done early on and how they’ve become these events of many trailers vs single trailers posted online as one of the ways to obscure the intention. Obviously that’s not to criticize the fans or developers, it’s targeted toward Nintendo the corporation and what they’re doing. Sometimes a reminder doesn’t hurt

Im trusting Nate here. Expect an announcement Monday unless something happens tommorow and the partners hear about a delay(Partner Delay Showcase). Its possible but I think Nintendo will be good for next week.

there's never a plan but I'm always ready to adapt

direct threads are improv practice
0oxhvz5ou4w71.jpg

I'd go to the famitheater with you folks. Not until I've kicked my COVID of course.

did you... make this?
No, I would've worked harder to balance the purple and orange with the color cast (or lack thereof) on the raccoon boi because I'm obsessive over such things and probably would've also had the background be the red curtains from Mario 3 and thus wouldn't have finished and posted it for like a half hour or so.

I literally just googled "raccoon microphone" and google helped me out. 😅

I don't understand questions like "what if you had to pay for Directs." We're clearly talking about some alternate universe where things have always worked that way, since there's no chance our universe is going to go in that direction now, so it's pointless to discuss using our values as people who have only lived in this universe.

Oh yeah I agree with this, like I don’t think people need to be any more or less excited for Directs because they’re an advertisement, obviously during A direct when you see a trailer for a game that looks good you’ll be excited to eventually play it and you shouldn’t feel any less excited because “the advertising got you”. I also think it’s fine for people to just view them as ads but I also think they shouldn’t then go and shame people for enjoying the community that’s formed around directs or people that are excited for them.

I feel like more and more companies try to make you not realize ads aren’t ads though, and it seems to be working because they keep doing it. And I see the way directs we’re done early on and how they’ve become these events of many trailers vs single trailers posted online as one of the ways to obscure the intention. Obviously that’s not to criticize the fans or developers, it’s targeted toward Nintendo the corporation and what they’re doing. Sometimes a reminder doesn’t hurt
I agree that keeping things in perspective is good. But I don't agree that Directs are in any way a disguised form of advertising. They're video press releases cut together with trailers and they show you the names and release dates. They couldn't be any more ad-like.

I would say that even in some convoluted scenario where someone has an unhealthy relationship to Nintendo Directs, the salient point for them shouldn't be to remember that it's an ad, but to remember that it's just entertainment.

No, I would've worked harder to balance the purple and orange with the color cast (or lack thereof) on the raccoon boi because I'm obsessive over such things and probably would've also had the background be the red curtains from Mario 3 and thus wouldn't have finished and posted it for like a half hour or so.

I literally just googled "raccoon microphone" and google helped me out. 😅
Why did I think that was a telescope? Fever delirium I suppose.

I don't understand questions like "what if you had to pay for Directs." We're clearly talking about some alternate universe where things have always worked that way, since there's no chance our universe is going to go in that direction now, so it's pointless to discuss using our values as people who have only lived in this universe.
yeah, I shouldn't have even asked it as a joke

oh well

There it is, standard marketing. Looks like we're still on the 13th hype train

Yeah they are still doing twitter posts for sure. As for the Direct not sure but I think its still good for next week. Unless we hear something else tommorow but really hoping not

I agree that keeping things in perspective is good. But I don't agree that Directs are in any way a disguised form of advertising. They're video press releases cut together with trailers and they show you the names and release dates. They couldn't be any more ad-like.

I would say that even in some convoluted scenario where someone has an unhealthy relationship to Nintendo Directs, the salient point for them shouldn't be to remember that it's an ad, but to remember that it's just entertainment.

Yeah no, you’re right they’re really not obscured at all. I didn’t fully consider the thought and then posted it. I think I was thinking more of some of the earlier skits they did and had some longer developed interview stuff (but that could also be blamed on a lack of content). Then I thought about it more and Nintendo doesnt really do anything either to contribute to a lot of the hype/culture surrounding it. Didn’t Kit complain about some of that in one of the podcasts or did I make that up?

Agreed to the last point though too though I did like the term someone used earlier on of “advertainment” feels like it captures it well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom