• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"In light of the recent death of Queen Elizabeth, he have determined that the Nintendo Direct that we haven't announced yet and that none of you should know about will go ahead of schedule. Instead, we will be cancelling the release of Splatoon 3."

There is very very little wiggle room due to the contractual obligations and final stages of production I'd imagine they're in right now. I can't see it

When putting a contract in place, there are generally always exceptions in the event of unforeseen circumstances, "acts of God", etc. as a "CYA". I have to do that whenever I photograph weddings, because life is unpredictable. With many of these companies being international, I think that this would likely be covered in case they had to delay third-party announcements.
But that applies to moreso personal affairs, like, if the queen was close to you it’d be understandable, but that’s like if you used any reported death as a reason to cancel.

Regardless I think that people who seek to escape this media circus will crave even more for a Direct. So in a way it plays into Nintendo's hands.

If Ubisoft keeps its show on Saturday, I think the Direct is safe.
Yeah this is probably the biggest upcoming hint to whether or not the Direct will be delayed.

If the Ubisoft event is delayed, I do think there's still a chance that the Direct happens as scheduled. But if it isn't, then the Direct is almost certainly still going to happen on schedule

I have tricked myself into believing Ribbit King HD has a shot of existing even though the dedicated fanbase is smaller than F-Zero's and nobody else even knows it exists. What have I done to myself

continuing SMT5 after a 8 month break, and have to say... yeah, it was hard to get back into.
The game has a ton of problems, some great aspects. Artstyle is great, but in some moments some of the contrast rich elements with the resolution lead to really jittery elements and sometimes moire patterns... its really distracting.
Story is still a joke for a game with so many hours. I still think the first region was the best in regards to design.
Region 4ths color palet is to similar to region 2s in some areas.

But one aspect thats 100% great is the score. im not shure if it works out of context except some pieces,
but its...unlike anything i have heard in gaming. BAttle music reminds me of Health - in color, and a lot of the tracks are either otherworldly, or in some cases just...chill, or groovy.

Chill: tokio, it seems knowledge is in control, cadaver's hollow, world of shadows, fairy village
groovy: talk, a rain of ligh and shadow, tension, blindly,...

honestly, one of the bast game soundtracks of the switch era. did not expect to like it that much.

For context: BotW is huge. 2 completly different takes on how to handle repetitive overworld music on open world games.
BotWs take would not have sold Da'at half as good.
And on the other hand, that type of music would have made the atmosphere in zelda less intimate and naturalistic.

Other great scores:
Octopath Travler (soooo goood)
Hollow Knight (well it became big on switch)
Then there are a ton of late ports like Cuphead or releases that where on multiple platforms like KatanaZero.

Mario was great...but also kindahalf expected. Some highlights are the surf rock theme in the forest area.
Splatoon 2 is fine... i think its weaker then the first one.

Last edited:
I get that the death of the queen is considered big news but I don't really understand how that has any bearing on nintendo releasing a youtube video of videogame trailers
like unless her funeral ends up in the same time slot, what am I missing here as an ignorant american

I get that the death of the queen is considered big news but I don't really understand how that has any bearing on nintendo releasing a youtube video of videogame trailers
like unless her funeral ends up in the same time slot, what am I missing here as an ignorant american
Her funeral will not be the same time slot. Directs are like 11pm in the UK.

There are a few factor:

1. This will dominate media coverage to an extent over the next week.
2. The UK will enter a state of mourning for a time, where there may even be Bank Holidays and workplaces closed. That could cause logistical problems.

However, there are reasons it may also still move forward. We just don't know yet.

Guys I think we can’t compare it to Ubisofts show. I mean Ubisoft announced theirs already, Nintendo obviously didn‘t. That puts Ubisoft in a way more uncomfortable situation than Nintendo.

Nintendo could quietly/internally delay it, leaving us with probably a few Twitter drops for 3rd Party stuff at TGS.

I guess if we don’t hear anything alike „3rd Parties been told…“ from reliable people until Saturday, it’ll probably still be the 13th. (Hopefully)

Oh and btw: I’m new here, hi everyone.

Probably one of the first times I am hoping that Nintendo DOESN'T give a shit about anything.

At a guess, the UK is one of Nintendo’s biggest markets and is about to go into a state of mourning that hasn’t happened in living memory for anyone under the age of about 80. It’s kinda unprecedented territory in the modern media age and all the biggest UK media are all royal fanatics, which includes all the mass-market stuff that their ‘blue ocean’ strategy aims at- all the big newspapers and their websites etc.

This isn't 100% but most of the Directs have a couple of Shadow drops in them, a delay would mean that those games might drop anyway and the Direct would have to be re-edited? Maybe between that and TGS they might just go ahead anyway.

jokes on the Queen. She missed Splatoon 3.

So I am still very happy. Not only because she missed it but because I'll play it in 2 hours.

We'll see what happens, but I'm still hung up on the TGS thing. When they delayed the September 2018 Direct, they at least had a week buffer, so they were still out in front of it.

But that applies to moreso personal affairs, like, if the queen was close to you it’d be understandable, but that’s like if you used any reported death as a reason to cancel.
True, but there could be a similar clause for international events. I'm just speculating though, trying not to get my hopes up for a direct anymore lol

Nate said on twitter that any news of a delay should be relayed to partners by sometime tomorrow at the latest, so we shouldn't have long to wait to find out. And regardless of a delay, he'll record predictions next week!

To be honest if there is something in that Direct that's planned to release in like 8 weeks or something I would say that delaying the Direct two weeks or so would screw their marketing quite a lot.
That seems to be exactly the case of Metroid Prime Remake. A two week delay, or it coming in early October would mean it would only have a month of marketing and Metroid isn't Mario.

Why would Nintendo delay the direct because of a British monarch? It’s not like the whole world is going to stop because she passed away… other countries couldn’t care less about it.

The splash damage of an immense amount confusion about the timing of a unannounced Nintendo Direct is the more than I thought I would ever care about the death of the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom