• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I’m kinda on my ass that Nintendo basically did two Baten Kaitos games with Paper Mario Sticker Star & Color Splash, at least in the items & battle system department, but completely misunderstood what worked in Baten Kaitos battle system (and how the second game actually improved on the first one).

TWICE.

Origami King, while still not being what I wished it would be (and its battle system becoming quite boring), is a massive step forward. The only thing is that the writting is excellent in the Paper Mario games. It’s just the gameplay.

I wonder tho… if the Paper Mario kept going the « 64 & Thousand Years Door » way, would we had so many Paper Mario games ? Didn’t the formula would’ve aged poorly ? I really liked Super Paper Mario and wouldn’t mind a new game in this vein but with a little more RPG elements. Maybe, just maybe, someone at Nintendo will read the room and try a better mix so the franchise can make a nice comeback.

I need the Direct to help me make game purchasing decisions. Mixture of indecisiveness and uncertainty about exactly what's releasing the next few months combining to leave me unsure about what to buy. For now I've not ordered Splatoon 3.

Jeff the next time his words get blown out of proportions and/or misconstrued:
ListenUpYouFanboyFuckheads.jpeg

GBA on NSO would be so much fun, we could have another go at these quirky games that were mostly forgotten, like Mario Pinball Land and Mario Party Advance.

Jeff the next time his words get blown out of proportions and/or misconstrued:
ListenUpYouFanboyFuckheads.jpeg
Because of how much he sounds like Chris Evans, I wanna hear him say this out loud so I can play it on repeat whenever people trash the MCU for being woke.

Mentioned this earlier today but I'm now sort of interested in an FE dual release for remakes. Sorta like how Pokemon always tends to release two games, only for FE it'll be two separate stories but are connected in a way. Like since the Jugdral, Elibe, and Tellius sagas all have two games each that are also connected (For non-FE fans: Jugdral is Genealogy of the Holy War/FE4 and Thracia 776/FE5, The latter being a midquel. Blazing Blade/FE7 is a prequel of Binding Blade/FE6 for Elibe and in Tellius, Radiant Dawn is a sequel of Path of Radiance by 3 years); might as well simultaneously release them together for various reasons and options like the remake of the prequel aka FE7 if played first will affect the story in FE6 depending on pairings.

Then again, the major flaw in this would be developing them since the stories aren't the same and for example each game would need the necessary changes that may not apply to one or the other and so on lmao. And would be hella time consuming lmao.

My final Direct list:

Opener: Metroid Prime HD. Immediately after, there is a 30 second re-reveal for MP4. Takahashi apologizes for the long silence and promises the first real news in 2023
Third-party stuff. The Batman Arkham games are finally confirmed, and NieR gets another trailer. Todd appears to shill Skyrim for the 1029486490th time.
Trailer for XC3 Expansion Pass Wave 2, out later today
Advanced Wars rises from the grave, is released 2 weeks from the presentation
F-Zero GX remastered is revealed, Nintendo teases that they have a whole slate of Gamecube remasters on the way
NSO gets GBC and GBA
Hollow Knight: Silksong comes out February 2023
Fire Emblem Engage announced, coming 2023
Third-party stuff, sizzle reel
WW/TPHD dual pack is finally revealed, coming out early October
Closer: 30 second teaser and title drop trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Reach of the Zonai, coming out March 24th

Mentioned this earlier today but I'm now sort of interested in an FE dual release for remakes. Sorta like how Pokemon always tends to release two games, only for FE it'll be two separate stories but are connected in a way. Like since the Jugdral, Elibe, and Tellius sagas all have two games each that are also connected (For non-FE fans: Jugdral is Genealogy of the Holy War/FE4 and Thracia 776/FE5, The latter being a midquel. Blazing Blade/FE7 is a prequel of Binding Blade/FE6 for Elibe and in Tellius, Radiant Dawn is a sequel of Path of Radiance by 3 years); might as well simultaneously release them together for various reasons and options like the remake of the prequel aka FE7 if played first will affect the story in FE6 depending on pairings.

Then again, the major flaw in this would be developing them since the stories aren't the same and for example each game would need the necessary changes that may not apply to one or the other and so on lmao. And would be hella time consuming lmao.
No chance they do this. Pokémon dual releases work because they’re essentially the exact same game. The dual Fire Emblem games are not. They’d either bundle them together as a $60 game, or release them separately.

Then again, the major flaw in this would be developing them since the stories aren't the same and for example each game would need the necessary changes that may not apply to one or the other and so on lmao.
Yeah I'm sorry but this is just a really bad idea.
This games are all their own beasts, while the stories may be connected they don't have a lot of leeway affect one and the other.
Of course for fe4 and fe4 they're 2 completely different games in terms of gameplay and structure and it would just be a disservice to cram this 2 game in a package. Also for the story thracia 776 is in part a retelling of some chapters of fe4 and it uses some canon pairings for important moments in the game that wouldn't make sense if the player pairings from fe4 could change the story of fe5
As far as fe6 and fe7 goes they're really not that connected as you may think, especially since fe7 is a prequel a lot of the connections are retroactive and not that important (and some time contradictory). And you can't even do an fe4 style game where pairings of fe7 change the playable characters of fe6 since there are not a lot of characters from fe6 that are born from couples of fe7. So you either make them up or you're left with a token mechanic that's really not important, also it would kill the balancing of fe6.
For the tellius game there's already some interconnected mechanics with the 2 games with the transfer bonus but that's it, not a lot of room to create more interaction between the game.
Yeah I think the best idea for me is just focus on one remake at a time, they're already huge games so there's really no need to cram 2 games in one remake or even release 2 simultaneous remakes

No chance they do this. Pokémon dual releases work because they’re essentially the exact same game. The dual Fire Emblem games are not. They’d either bundle them together as a $60 game, or release them separately.
Ye I know. And they'll never bundle two games into one lmao. Only Tellius would be doable since they're completely connected lulz. But they'll still never do it and will just release them separately for more profit.

Yeah I'm sorry but this is just a really bad idea.
This games are all their own beasts, while the stories may be connected they don't have a lot of leeway affect one and the other.
Of course for fe4 and fe4 they're 2 completely different games in terms of gameplay and structure and it would just be a disservice to cram this 2 game in a package. Also for the story thracia 776 is in part a retelling of some chapters of fe4 and it uses some canon pairings for important moments in the game that wouldn't make sense if the player pairings from fe4 could change the story of fe5
As far as fe6 and fe7 goes they're really not that connected as you may think, especially since fe7 is a prequel a lot of the connections are retroactive and not that important (and some time contradictory). And you can't even do an fe4 style game where pairings of fe7 change the playable characters of fe6 since there are not a lot of characters from fe6 that are born from couples of fe7. So you either make them up or you're left with a token mechanic that's really not important, also it would kill the balancing of fe6.
For the tellius game there's already some interconnected mechanics with the 2 games with the transfer bonus but that's it, not a lot of room to create more interaction between the game.
Yeah I think the best idea for me is just focus on one remake at a time, they're already huge games so there's really no need to cram 2 games in one remake
Well I'm not implying they should. I'm well aware. FE7 was clearly not in mind when FE6 was made, hence the poor connection with each other. And FE4 and 5 are entirely different gameplay wise etc.

I'm more thinking about some "transfer bonuses" in which two separate games can have with each other. Like if you own a copy of a FE7 remake, depending on which file you choose, it can affect some parts of the copy of the FE6 remake story. Even major parts if certain conditions are made.

They're never gonna cram two games into one (which I have no interest in seeing) since it might not be able to hold and why bother doing any of that when you can make more money by having two games rather than one with two stories.

Anyone got any more fake 4chan leaks? Wanna laugh at the terrible names they come up with for the BotW sequel.

Got me thinking - has any Zelda name been announced or leaked that was met with ridicule? I recall Wind Waker being a strange name, but I think most of the criticism was being lobbed at the aesthetic, not the title.

Got me thinking - has any Zelda name been announced or leaked that was met with ridicule? I recall Wind Waker being a strange name, but I think most of the criticism was being lobbed at the aesthetic, not the title.
I ridiculed the title "Breath of the Wild" but that was mostly in private

The dirty truth is most Zelda game titles are very simple: "The Legend of Zelda: <Important Item>". See: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, etc. Most of the time it only deviates from there if there really isn't some titular item for the game (Twilight Princess) or the titular item isn't the hook/crux of the game (Breath of the Wild).

I'm I'm guessing Link's gnarly new arm is important for the game I assume the title is gonna be whatever that is. Therefore the new Zelda's title will be:

The Legend of Zelda: The Hands of Fate

People thought Twilight Princess was a dorky name when it was first announced.

The Legend of Zelda: Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man. Bake me a cake as fast as you can. Roll it, pat it, and mark it with a beat. Put it in the oven for Baker and me.

I think this is the title of the sequel since it has a theme about his hand.

Shortened to TLoZ: PaC version.

:p

BOTW2's title is going to be something containing the word "hairdresser", because the plot of the game is Zelda fell down and fucking died due to a 200 meter drop. Out of anger, Link destroyed the Master Sword because the only one who was willing to let their hair get cut by them was Zelda. Now Link has nothing in life. Then Aonuma comes along, and Link is newly motivated to pick up his passion again and give this man the freshest fucking cut this world has ever seen. That's why Link needs to restore the Master Sword.

I’ve been playing Returnal. Pretty excited to get to after all the praise.

Im not liking it at all. I’ve put some decent time in it. And the gameplay loop isn’t as much fun as I had hope. Like the setting a lot tho, looks nice visually, but a bit boring.

I’m hoping that I just haven’t gotten to the part where “this is why it’s been in the running for game of the year”.

But yeah, i was hoping it was like Hades where I liked a lot almost immediately lol.
Even though they're both ostensibly roguelites, Returnal and Hades are very, very different. Hades is all about quick runs and tons and tons of incremental upgrades that persist between runs (and lots of incremental dialogue and character growth). You do a run, make some progress, die, go buy new stuff and talk to people, and hop right back in, and it usually only takes a few minutes until you get nearer the end. And the big focus is on creating a 'build' as you go with lots of upgrades and spells and such.

Returnal is much slower-paced and focused more on atmosphere and the background story. There aren't really any characters to talk to, and while you do get permanent upgrades they're more metroidvania-style items, and there's far fewer of them. In fact in general I'd compare Returnal more to something like Metroid Prime in a lot of ways: Lonely atmosphere exploring an alien planet, similar shooting, light horror elements, etc. The roguelite elements are much less of a thing here than in Hades, since your runs usually take a lot longer and you will probably do a lot less of them. There's also not as much in the way of 'builds' (although there is some of that, for sure) and not as much focus on incremental upgrades. It kind of feels like the roguelite bit is more due to the story and mystery than it is the gameplay, in a lot of ways.

Just depends on which style of game you prefer! I liked Hades, but fell off of it pretty quickly for whatever reason, while Returnal kept me hooked completely. Something about it clicked a lot more. It also has one of my favorite boss/story interactions I can think of in recent memory, but it's a ways into the game.

Outside of Splatoon countdown pics and reviews (probably Wednesday), are the 6-7 am tweets this week just promo?

I'm giving an outside shot of an NSO update. We haven't had anything new outside of N64 since the end of June so I think we are due for something.

Nintendo directs, especially generals, bring in way more new eyes than people would think. Putting out a direct with a Splatoon 3 trailer ending with “Out Tomorrow!” will push people that didn’t know about Splatoon 3, forgot about it, or just weren’t going to buy it at launch into a mindset of “Wow this new game releases real soon, I should get it” especially while they are still hyped from the direct itself. It’s similar to shadow drops in indie worlds. People that weren’t typically going to buy this game will likely do so because it’s fresh and available right now/soon.
They have actually done this before, a General Direct was held the day before TPHD came out, and it was shown… come to think of it, that Direct actually aired the day OF it’s release in Japan (S3 is a wayyy bigger release than that, I highly doubt a General airs during its launch day)

The Legend of Zelda: Ten Thousand Years Ago
This and 'The Forgotten King' are the only speculated titles I enjoy.

Also... this put me in a rabbit hole of researching the meaning of the phrase "Ten Thousand Years" in certain East Asian cultures. Considering they already used that phrasing in BotW to refer to an ancient time of Shiekah prosperity, I don't know if they were intentionally using that phrase in the original Japanese text, but it's cool to think about.

I wonder tho… if the Paper Mario kept going the « 64 & Thousand Years Door » way, would we had so many Paper Mario games ? Didn’t the formula would’ve aged poorly ? I really liked Super Paper Mario and wouldn’t mind a new game in this vein but with a little more RPG elements. Maybe, just maybe, someone at Nintendo will read the room and try a better mix so the franchise can make a nice comeback.
bug fables is fantastic and I'm looking forward to a follow up on that way more than the next PM game so no I don't think so

my discord pfp has been a balloon fighter in that pose for months now

they added my discord pfp to nintendo switch

talk about a miracle port

You know, I’m kinda on my ass that Nintendo basically did two Baten Kaitos games with Paper Mario Sticker Star & Color Splash, at least in the items & battle system department, but completely misunderstood what worked in Baten Kaitos battle system (and how the second game actually improved on the first one).

TWICE.

Origami King, while still not being what I wished it would be (and its battle system becoming quite boring), is a massive step forward. The only thing is that the writting is excellent in the Paper Mario games. It’s just the gameplay.

Mario and Luigi became the “Mario RPG” series and paper Mario went more experimental. I assume both couldn’t coexist in Nintendo’s mind, especially once the character restrictions were put in place. I think with Alpha Dream dead, a real RPG paper mario could come back if they want it.

The Legend of Zelda: Another Sticky Situation

I’m not wrong

EDIT: Nintendo probably doesn’t want it to be called LoZ: ASS though

Obviously the title will be based off the new underground and sky continents and updated item fusion mechanics, thus:

The Legend of Zelda:
minecraft-cliff-and-caves-update.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom